Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

Had the roller cover by Raiton installed at their shop yesterday. Have to say I'm thoroughly impressed, both with the unit and the installation. 23,000 baht installed. It really looks like a factory installation and very well made.

This latest addition as well as the forward facing recording camera, reverse camera and reverse sensors just about has me finished with adding goodies. I do have an alarm and PKE unit on order though.....I love my gadgets biggrin.pngattachicon.gifIMG_0326.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0328.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0331.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0333.jpg

Loving those gadgets here aswell mate, front facing camera looks a very neat job indeed!

Could you put me out of my misery and PM me with details of them...cheers :)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM

Had the roller cover by Raiton installed at their shop yesterday. Have to say I'm thoroughly impressed, both with the unit and the installation. 23,000 baht installed. It really looks like a factory installation and very well made.

This latest addition as well as the forward facing recording camera, reverse camera and reverse sensors just about has me finished with adding goodies. I do have an alarm and PKE unit on order though.....I love my gadgets biggrin.pngattachicon.gifIMG_0326.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0328.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0331.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0333.jpg

Loving those gadgets here aswell mate, front facing camera looks a very neat job indeed!

Could you put me out of my misery and PM me with details of them...cheers smile.png

PM sent thumbsup.gif

Went to have an oil and filter change today. I know that Ford only recommend at 15,000 kms, but I'm still old school and wanted it done now at 5,000. I knew from other posters that Ford is expensive so I went to the nice new B Quik we have here in Hua Hin. They quoted 1,145 baht but did not have the filter. I went over to Ford and they wanted 3,465 baht!!! I said forget that and I just wanted to buy the filter (235 baht) I took the filter back to B Quik and they did the job for 1,060 baht, so including filter 1,295 baht. This was with Mobil 15W40 oil. Ford is seriously ripping people off.

B Quik were very good, I watched the mechanic and he was very careful and knew what he was doing. Unless it is warranty work I will not be going back to Ford in Hua Hin.

Went to have an oil and filter change today. I know that Ford only recommend at 15,000 kms, but I'm still old school and wanted it done now at 5,000. I knew from other posters that Ford is expensive so I went to the nice new B Quik we have here in Hua Hin. They quoted 1,145 baht but did not have the filter. I went over to Ford and they wanted 3,465 baht!!! I said forget that and I just wanted to buy the filter (235 baht) I took the filter back to B Quik and they did the job for 1,060 baht, so including filter 1,295 baht. This was with Mobil 15W40 oil. Ford is seriously ripping people off.

B Quik were very good, I watched the mechanic and he was very careful and knew what he was doing. Unless it is warranty work I will not be going back to Ford in Hua Hin.

Is the 15W40 full synthetic and why was that chosen over the recommended 5W30 ?

No it was not Mobil 1, that is synthetic and is a lot more money. I specified 15W40, for this climate I think 10W30 is too light.

Errr you do realize they are supposed to have a full synthetic oil don't you........ hope nothing dies as your warranty has been voided.

Edited by Spoonman

No it was not Mobil 1, that is synthetic and is a lot more money. I specified 15W40, for this climate I think 10W30 is too light.

Errr you do realize they are supposed to have a full synthetic oil don't you........ hope nothing dies as your warranty has been voided.

That is not what the manual says. It says that oil that meets certain specs is approved, nothing about synthetic. The oil B Quik used was this:

Mobil Super 1000 Diesel 15W-40
Mobil Super 1000 Diesel 15W-40 is premium mineral
motor oil that is specially designed to suit diesel-powered
cars and light commercial vehicles, providing a high level
of performance and protection under everyday conditions.
Mobil Super 1000 Diesel 15W-40 is industry proven so you
can trust you will get the performance you expect from your
vehicle.
Meets API
c
I-4/
c
H-4/
c
G-4/SL/SJ and A
ce
A
e
7. Suitable
for use in applications requiring API
c
F-4 & A
ce
A
e
Which meets the specs, so no warranty issues. Yes, synthetic oil is more resistant to breaking down than mineral oil, however it gets just as dirty and I will go with more frequent changes of mineral over extended intervals with synthetic any day.
As to the cost at Ford, I suppose you are right, they were quoting with synthetic, but B Quik offered synthetic as well and I don't recall the exact price, but it was considerably cheaper than Ford. Also B Quik had no labour charge as Ford was 500 baht.

You must have a different manual than me, the one I have (in English) says this:

**Engine oil - Diesel (for markets with high sulphur content greater than 350 ppm):
If you are unable to find an oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C921-A,
you must use
SAE 10W-30 (preferred), SAE 5W-40 or SAE 10W-40 that meets the
specification defined by either
ACEA E5-99 or API CH-4 or higher.

I'm surprised that someone who has changed his wheels/tires and has
voided the drive train warranty would think that this is a show stopper.

Regardless, I stand by my choice that to change more often outweighs the benefits of synthetic cost.

Nothing wrong with my drivetrain warranty , as for Manual Iam looking at the Ford Dealership service manual.

When it comes to the Ford 15,000km service are you going to insist they put in a cheap mineral oil ?

Nothing wrong with my drivetrain warranty , as for Manual Iam looking at the Ford Dealership service manual.

When it comes to the Ford 15,000km service are you going to insist they put in a cheap mineral oil ?

I can't comment on the Ford warranty, but when I changed the wheels/tires on the Pajero Mitsubishi made a point of telling that it voided any drive train ( differentials, etc) warranty.

There must be some poverty struck folks about if they dont use the best oil to protect their investment. CDN you are penny wics, pound foolish IMO.Theres no need these days for extra changescoffee1.gif

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine....no need for flaming.

I don't consider Mobil 1000 as "cheap mineral oil"

I don't consider Mobil 1000 as "cheap mineral oil"

It is very much cheap mineral oil compared to what is used and recommended by Ford.

I can't comment on the Ford warranty, but when I changed the wheels/tires on the Pajero Mitsubishi made a point of telling that it voided any drive train ( differentials, etc) warranty.

How does Ford know I have changed my wheels and tyres ?

You must have a different manual than me, the one I have (in English) says this:

**Engine oil - Diesel (for markets with high sulphur content greater than 350 ppm):

If you are unable to find an oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C921-A,

you must use SAE 10W-30 (preferred), SAE 5W-40 or SAE 10W-40 that meets the

specification defined by either ACEA E5-99 or API CH-4 or higher.

I'm surprised that someone who has changed his wheels/tires and has

voided the drive train warranty would think that this is a show stopper.

Regardless, I stand by my choice that to change more often outweighs the benefits of synthetic cost.

Ford's web site has some information on recommended Ranger engine oil: http://www.ford.co.th/en/ford-owners/services/ford-engine-oil

It shows mineral and synthetic alternatives for the old model Ranger, (similar to most of the current Jap diesels), but not for the new Ranger with its European Duratorque engine.

You might want to double check and make sure you are interpreting the service manual correctly. The quote in post #2908 refers to high Sulphur diesel which is no longer used in Thailand. It also does not refer to 15W-40 grade. Some 40 grade oils listed as an alternatives if 30 grades are not available.

I agree, in some situations mineral oil changed more frequently can be better than a synthetic with a longer change interval but it depends on the engine and how it is used. In any case, using oil complying with the manufacturers recommended specs is a very good idea.

When you take your truck in for servicing... coffee1.gif it is rather ovbious, isn't it?

When you take your truck in for servicing... coffee1.gif it is rather ovbious, isn't it?

There is a reason why I have my original wheels sitting in my garage.

I assume Ford is using synthetic oil to extend the service interval,
and I’m all for that.

If I wanted to save money on an oil change, I’d just do it myself and not
cheap-out on the oil. So you had $50 worth of oil swapped out for $15 worth of
oil and they only charged you $30.

You $0.01 a mile by taking a chance on something that costs you a
$1.00 a mile to drive.

It is worth noting that (using your numbers) changing out the cheap oil
every 5,000km costs THB 420 more than going with Fords recommendation, not to
mention the extra time you spend dicking with it.

Apparently no one has taken the time to read the Popular Mechanics article ( or the numerous others available on the subject)

Mobil 1000 is not cheap oil. It is a very high grade mineral oil that meets or exceeds all the specs that Ford requires and is less expensive than synthetic oil.

And yes, in my opinion and that of numerous others who are far more knowledgeable than any of us on this forum and who are available with a simple Google search, more frequent changes are better, regardless of mineral or synthetic.

If you all want to use synthetic and change at 15,000 km's I have no issue with that, but it seems to me that "ye doth object too vigorously" to my choice tongue.png

Don't know about everyone else but I did read the popular mechanics article you linked. Yes mineral oil changed more frequently can be better than synthetic with a longer change interval but as I said above it depends on the engine and how it is used. Mineral vs Synthetic is only one factor. The grade and rating of the oil are also important and getting increasingly complex as API and ACEA add more grades to account for different fuel quality, fuel economy and emissions standards introduced in the last few years.

Using oil complying with the manufacturers recommendations is still the best idea unless you are planning on oil sampling and testing program. Mobil super 1000 is an OK oil but it does not appear to comply with the Rangers oil requirement on the Ford Thailand web site (Ford spec WSS-M2C913-C). Some of this new spec is about fuel economy but some is not.

I don't object to your choice, vigorously or otherwise. I just suggest double checking your Ford manual to see if Mobil super 1000 and the 15W 40 grade is an acceptable T6 Ranger engine oil alternative would be a good idea.

Don't know about everyone else but I did read the popular mechanics article you linked. Yes mineral oil changed more frequently can be better than synthetic with a longer change interval but as I said above it depends on the engine and how it is used. Mineral vs Synthetic is only one factor. The grade and rating of the oil are also important and getting increasingly complex as API and ACEA add more grades to account for different fuel quality, fuel economy and emissions standards introduced in the last few years.

Using oil complying with the manufacturers recommendations is still the best idea unless you are planning on oil sampling and testing program. Mobil super 1000 is an OK oil but it does not appear to comply with the Rangers oil requirement on the Ford Thailand web site (Ford spec WSS-M2C913-C). Some of this new spec is about fuel economy but some is not.

I don't object to your choice, vigorously or otherwise. I just suggest double checking your Ford manual to see if Mobil super 1000 and the 15W 40 grade is an acceptable T6 Ranger engine oil alternative would be a good idea.

Thanks for the civil, unbiased, informed, open minded post. Glad to see there is still someone who has some common sense. I find it strange that some think that dirty synthetic oil will do a better job than clean mineral oil. I watched the oil drained from my truck at 5000 km's......it was black as tar.

I don't have a Ford service manual, only the owners manual. The one that came with the truck was in Thai so I downloaded one in English. It is definitely for the new T6 model, but it may very well be for the Australian or South Africa markets. In that manual they show alternative oils and Mobil 1000 meets those requirements.

Thanks again

Edited by CDNinKS

I watched the oil drained from my truck at 5000 km's......it was black as tar.

The EGR system in diesel engines make it as black as tar in no time - black oil is a decent indicator of bad oil in gasoline engines, but not in diesels...

Mine has just done 12,000km and the oil is still clean, pain in the ass as the level is hard to see on the dip stick.

Funnily enough I just checked my oil 10 minutes before you posted this,and I too thought the same,mines only on 5000+ km,but looks pretty clean..

As regards to changing the wheels.Ford assured me that there are no warranty issues..