Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

Hi all, after a bit of advice, I was hoping to find a 3.2 WT but as we know, rare as hens teeth. however, I have been offered a 2012 2.2 XLT 4WD 4 door with 20k km on the clock for baht700k. I can't find any others on one2car, thaicar or taladrod to gauge whether this is a good price. List price from ford seems to be 899.

I had a 3.0 Vigo previously so keen to hear if I will be disappointed with only a 2.2 and any lack of power. Just wondered what some people with experience of the 2.2 ranger thought? Good buy? Bad idea?

Cheers everyone.

I was in the same position wanted a 3.2 WT. Couldn't get one and opted for the 3.2 Mazda, 4 months on and I love it. I've never driven the 2.2 Ford but it appears to be a bit down on power and straight line speed compared to the Toyota 3.0. The Ford/Mazda 3.2 trounces both.

Thanks chaps, really appreciate the feedback - been offered a 3.2 WIldtrack today with guaranteed delivery in 2013 - not quite sure I believe the salesman though ;-)

Mazda sounds possible but not sure I can cope with a big Happy Car :-)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sticker thats on my battery;

attachicon.gif1374237578192.jpg

If anyone has time to pop out and measure the physical size of their Ranger battery, it would be appreciated. I am in Vietnam but have someone who can get the battery business taken care of while I am away. I want to change to a 90Ah battery to give more cranking power as well as giving my inverter longer run time. I need to know the dimensions of the current 60Ah one to see if a bigger one will fit in the tray. I think that generally height and depth are pretty much a standard but the width could be an issue.

Thanks!

If anyone has time to pop out and measure the physical size of their Ranger battery, it would be appreciated. I am in Vietnam but have someone who can get the battery business taken care of while I am away. I want to change to a 90Ah battery to give more cranking power as well as giving my inverter longer run time. I need to know the dimensions of the current 60Ah one to see if a bigger one will fit in the tray. I think that generally height and depth are pretty much a standard but the width could be an issue.

Thanks!

212mm long x 175mm wide x 190mm tall.

Thanks!

212mm long x 175mm wide x 190mm tall.

Superb mate! Thanks.

I thought the length could be an issue and there's no way a 70Ah or 90Ah will get in there.

The Panasonic 'semi dry' 65Ah is 260 x W 173 x H 225 (according to a Thai website). I know the Ranger battery has a 'blanket' around it so do you think the battery tray could handle an extra inch at each end? I reckon there's enough space above the battery for another inch and half, no?

Height will be an issue with the clamp but that can easily sorted with a few spacers and a longer M6 bolt.

Length wise ....................... yeah I reckon you could fit that battery, might need some surgery and bend down the ends of the battery tray.

Lemme pull that battery from my development vehicle and give you a more accurate opinion of what can realistically be fitted, I'll do it tomoz.

Edit:.......... the battery that I measured is a 68Ah one, vehicle is a July built 3.2 Wildtrak.

Edited by Spoonman

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if bonnets with the air vent are available for the 2013 Ranger? i see plently on Toyota's and Izuzu's...

Any info of where available and price much appreciated.

Thanks.

Haven't seen any prefab, no, but you could always get one custom made if you really want it..

Note that the Hilux and D-Max both have top mounted intercoolers, so on them it kinda makes sense ;)

Does anyone know if bonnets with the air vent are available for the 2013 Ranger? i see plently on Toyota's and Izuzu's...

Thanks.

Haven't seen any prefab, no, but you could always get one custom made if you really want it..

Note that the Hilux and D-Max both have top mounted intercoolers, so on them it kinda makes sense wink.png

Just paint a black rectangle on the hood and bolt on a blower or a couple of velocity stacks….

Thanks.

Swiss army knife can opener attachment should be strong enough to cut a hole sad.png

Edited by MESmith

Thanks.

Swiss army knife can opener attachment should be strong enough to cut a hole sad.png

It's a Ranger.... You could probably do it with a butter knife :P

Thanks.

It's a Ranger.... You could probably do it with a butter knife tongue.png

Quality....

Any proud (or otherwise) new Ranger owners have the OEM tow bar package installed, or installed an after-market tow kit?

Just checking to see what's available, cost and delivery times. I have an XLT so not sure if the arse-end wiring harness supports trailer electrics or not.

Thanks,

NL

Any proud (or otherwise) new Ranger owners have the OEM tow bar package installed, or installed an after-market tow kit?

Just checking to see what's available, cost and delivery times. I have an XLT so not sure if the arse-end wiring harness supports trailer electrics or not.

Thanks,

NL

You going caravaning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xfaPoe-gU

Thanks,

NL

You going caravaning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xfaPoe-gU

I had a tow kit installed on my pickup in the US. Got it from U-Haul, cost about 75 bucks and was easy and quick to install. It came in handy once in a blue moon.

A blue moon moment has arisen in LOS.

Thanks,

NL

It might be a good idea to try VVP 4 x 4 centre. They sell Australian made Hayman Reese which are very good quality. They're capable guy's who do good electrical work as well.

I've used them a number of times and always had excellent results. Google them if you want their contact details.

I have an older ranger 2009, I have had to change the top fuel injection rod. I think that is what it is called. For the second time it has failed now. So I talked to the mechanic at Ford that was changing it and he said it is a known problem? Do any of you guys drive the older fords. This is getting expensive. at 10000 baht every time it fails. I have 180,000 KM on the truck and the engine seems ok. But that fuel rod on top is killing me.

I was hoping to get at least 500,000 km out of the engine before problems but not happening.

What is the toughest truck going now? I may have to sell this one.

Edited by garyk

I have an older ranger 2009, I have had to change the top fuel injection rod. I think that is what it is called. For the second time it has failed now. So I talked to the mechanic at Ford that was changing it and he said it is a known problem? Do any of you guys drive the older fords. This is getting expensive. at 10000 baht every time it fails. I have 180,000 KM on the truck and the engine seems ok. But that fuel rod on top is killing me.

I was hoping to get at least 500,000 km out of the engine before problems but not happening.

How many times have you had to change it?

Thanks,

NL

It might be a good idea to try VVP 4 x 4 centre. They sell Australian made Hayman Reese which are very good quality. They're capable guy's who do good electrical work as well.

I've used them a number of times and always had excellent results. Google them if you want their contact details.

Hayman Reece bars are made in Thailand by Trimotive.

How many times have you had to change it?

Two times now. It starts out kinda strange. It will not crank in the mornings on the first try. I wait about 5-10 sec's and then it fires right up. Then later on. Maybe a few weeks. You can be driving and it will just stop. The engine will just stop. I turn off the key for 10-15 seconds and it fires right up. It gets progressively worse until I have no choice but to change the rail. Then it is fine for a few thousand KM. Then the process starts over again. I am getting tired of it. As I travel non stop here as a wildlife photographer. I need a good solid truck. It has never left me stranded.

I keep the P.M. on it religiously. I changed the timing belt at 100 K. Rear and shift oil changed three times now. I use only semi synthetic oil and change every 5-6k. But this fuel rail thing is starting to annoy me to no end.

As a side note, they try to get me to trade for a new one. But reading this and traveling in the rain and crossing rivers very often I have decided not to get the new Ford Ranger now.

Edited by garyk

It really sounds like an on board computer problem. Could be wrong but....................facepalm.gif

That is what I thought and told them but they insist it is the rail? Not being a mechanic I am kinda at Fords mercy.

It really sounds like an on board computer problem. Could be wrong but....................facepalm.gif

That is what I thought and told them but they insist it is the rail? Not being a mechanic I am kinda at Fords mercy

Hmmmmmmmm, a rail is a rail, with a connection, that's it. sad.png

Yea, it takes them about 5 minutes to change it. I have the old one with me. And it has a connection on the front for the electrics. I think I will put the old one back on it and see has the problem. If not I think a computer problem. Last time they reset the computer and it was fine for a few weeks. I have got to where I just do not trust the Ford dealerships here. Maybe I am wrong but I just have a gut feeling.

Do you know how to reset the computer on the truck? If I can reset it myself I can start to narrow down the problem I think.

Edited by garyk

Thanks,

NL

I didn't know that and thanks for letting me know. Very good bars, I'm sure you'll agree.

Thanks,

NL

I didn't know that and thanks for letting me know. Very good bars, I'm sure you'll agree.

Yes, Trimotive do make a good product.

If I tell you I will be shot down in flames. w00t.gif .............smile.png

Don't tell...we know beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAuwink.png

Yes, Trimotive do make a good product.

Available in LOS?

Yes. Refer to post #3076