Service Charges In Thailand

czGLoRy

I recently went to Oasis Spa after eating at Oishi on the same day. Oishi had a service charge, I figure it goes to tip the waiters/waitresses/standard. Whatever. it was the standard 10%-- I normally always leave a tip, but

I don't when I get a service charge tacked on.

I go to Oasis Spa, and there is a 10% service charge as well. I paid and left. I found out later that the service charge does not go to the masseuses as tips, but goes to pay salary for some of the employees.

Is this standard? I was kind of shocked to find this out. I also always tip after getting a massage, and the massage was great, but I did not leave a tip that time because I figured "I already had". They don't state anywhere that the masseuses are not gtting the tips.

Is this standard? Thoughts on this?

It was not standard in the past, but it seems to be becoming common practice among certain establishments, especially restaurants.

I know the Dukes discreetly adds on a service charge, 7% I think, to the bill and so does the Hoffbrauhaus German restaurant. Probably a lot more restaurants have caught on and begun adding extra charges to the final bill. This is the first time I have heard of spas adding these charges.

Usually it is those businesses that are expensive and over priced in the first place, so by only quoting a portion of their prices on the menu or list of prices and then quoting some additional price by what they describe as a service charge in very small print, certainly makes they’re prices appear lower.

Sometimes I am amused when these business owners begin moaning that their trade is down and expect our sympathy, yet they give nothing. They are always trying to squeeze the golden goose then end up killing it.

In general I avoid these places that try it on with hidden charges or something that they are afraid to be upfront about.

And that’s my advice; hit them in the till and go elsewhere. There are always choices and better deals to be had if you shop around.

I know the Dukes discreetly adds on a service charge, 7% I think, to the bill

Actually they are adding the VAT tax to the bill. It is not a service charge. They did have a 10% service charge for a while, but dropped it.

I'm sure thats the case for Dukes, but I just wanted to say Oasis actually charged 17%, 10% service, 7% vat, and no tip went to the staff. I wouldn't even care necessarily, except I feel like this is really unfair for the people who work there, as they are not getting tipped hardly ever because of the service charge, and also for anyone who pays without knowing that this does not go to the masseuses.

If you eat at Oishi with a service charge, does this not tip the waiters??

• 2 weeks later...

I know the Dukes discreetly adds on a service charge, 7% I think, to the bill

Actually they are adding the VAT tax to the bill. It is not a service charge. They did have a 10% service charge for a while, but dropped it.

I'm sure thats the case for Dukes, but I just wanted to say Oasis actually charged 17%, 10% service, 7% vat, and no tip went to the staff. I wouldn't even care necessarily, except I feel like this is really unfair for the people who work there, as they are not getting tipped hardly ever because of the service charge, and also for anyone who pays without knowing that this does not go to the masseuses.

If you eat at Oishi with a service charge, does this not tip the waiters??

anyone know if this is the casE? Genuinely interested. Sounds like a rough deal for the people who work in the restaurants/spas.

this has been going on all over the world,but if you get bad service tell them you want it taken off if not dont go back,these resturants are also useing the tips as to top up their wages,only in america we were asked by the waiter can they add the charge.

I have seen plenty of places that add a service charge, but pleasantly most of them state quite clearly that the service charge is added.

didn't see anywhere that discretely or sneakily added it, but then I may have missed it completely!

I believe that this whole service charge is a complete con, and no more than a cynical way for businesses to increase profits.

It's not only Spas that do it these days, it's hotels and restaurants, how can service at a hotel be an extra? the same goes for restaurants, everything should be costed into the price. What next, Tesco, gas stations, bus and train journeys? all require an element of "service".

I asked the very same question recently and there wasn't a definitive answer, save that it was a method of bolstering profits.

• 4 months later...

I believe that this whole service charge is a complete con, and no more than a cynical way for businesses to increase profits.

It's not only Spas that do it these days, it's hotels and restaurants, how can service at a hotel be an extra? the same goes for restaurants, everything should be costed into the price. What next, Tesco, gas stations, bus and train journeys? all require an element of "service".

I asked the very same question recently and there wasn't a definitive answer, save that it was a method of bolstering profits.

Definitely agree, especially with the case in Oasis Spa. I know people who work there are working over 100 hours a month at an average price of 3,000 baht/hour for a massage, so about 300,000 baht/month. If they got that 10% service charge, that would be substantially more than their entire paycheck. It certainly goes to the business profits, and not only does it just line their pockets, but it also hurts the people who work there, as the norm is to not tip once you are being charged a service charge. The masseuses there received a lot of tips before they added the service charge, now it is very rare to get a tip.