1 Million People Stranded As Floods Rage Through Thai South

webfact

Nightmare islands

By THE NATION

30152096-01.jpg

1 million stranded as floods rage through South; 9 killed, with Nakhon Si Thammarat hit the hardest; Heavy rain likely to continue for next few days

Nearly a million residents living in flood-hit areas in the South have been left stranded with no access to land and air transport, even as the number of deaths increased to nine, with the grim prospect of heavy rains pounding many of the areas for the next few days.

A storm yesterday aggravated difficulties for the hardest-hit province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, damaging 250 homes in coastal areas and the Talum Phuk peninsula. The raging winds felled a number of power poles, causing blackouts in many areas.

Local residents of the peninsula complained about the total lack of assistance from authorities, and shortages of food and electricity. Fishermen are relying entirely on high-interest loans from illegal lenders to pay for their regular expenses while they are unable to go out fishing.

In Lan Saka district, a large number of people living at the foot of small hills have been evacuated following mudslides, with the possibility of more coming. A large pile of debris has covered farmlands and damaged them.

The situation in the whole region, including the other six hard-hit provinces - Surat Thani, Chumphon, Phang Nga, Ranong, Trang and Phatthalung - will likely return to normal next week if the heavy rains cease.

All train services down from Nakhon Si Thammarat have been suspended due to high flooding of the railway tracks. Villagers living in the foothills of nine provinces have been advised to watch out for mudslides, which have occurred in nine districts in four provinces. There are 1,628 locations facing the risk of mudslides in 14 southern provinces, with a total of 5,593 locations in 51 provinces across the country.

In tambon Pak Phoon in Muang district, desperate villagers seeking to be evacuated made a false appeal for help. When rescuers arrived at the scene, they rejected their request for evacuation citing priority for an incident in which a brick oven had collapsed. A villager then confessed to raising a false alarm to get the attention of rescuers.

Four Navy vessels, including an amphibious landing craft, are on their way to the South from the Sattahip Naval Base, with on-board helicopters hoping to pick up a large number of tourists stranded on many tourist islands. A total of 103 tourists stranded on tourist islands off Phang Nga coast on Andaman Sea side have been rescued by two local Navy vessels.

In Phi Poon district, two reservoirs are brimming and releasing water on an hourly basis to prevent cracks or a collapse. The Kathoon and Khlong Din Daeng cannot accommodate any more water, said district chief Trairat Chaiyarat.

In the latest fatality reported in Phatthalung, a woman drowned when her car plunged into two-metre roadside floodwaters, raising the number of dead to nine, according to unofficial news reports. The latest official update on the disaster yesterday reported seven deaths, with 979,665 people living in 310,406 affected households. The flood areas cover 63 districts in seven southern provinces.

Airports in Nakhon Si Thammarat have been closed because the runways and taxiways have been flooded while the one in Samui Island remains closed as of press time last night.

Ekkarat Sukpetch, a reporter at The Nation, said rain poured down day and night, forcing Bangkok Airways to cancel most of its flights to and from Samui Airport. "Floodwater is also rising to a point that electricity had to be cut off on Lamai Beach," she said.

She added that tap water was not available on the beach as electrical pumps stopped working when the electricity went off on Monday night.

"I've heard that someone was electrocuted. So, power has been turned off," Ekkarat said. Without any access to electricity and tap water on Lamai Beach, she moved to Chaweng Beach instead.

Ekkarat had gone to cover the Samui International Body Painting Competition, which took place during the weekend. She was scheduled to fly back to Bangkok on Monday but the weather conditions made it impossible. Ekkarat showed up again at Samui Airport at 4am yesterday, awaiting a Bangkok Airways flight. "But because there are just two flights, there are not enough seats to carry all the stranded passengers back," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-30

It looks a if the "powers the be" are totally unprepared for this.

Apart from the usual you have to factor in, inadequate transport vessels off the islands and a poorly designed private airfield which all exacerbate the problem.

"I've heard that someone was electrocuted. So, power has been turned off," Ekkarat said

As sad as the flooding is, does the above sentence sound as stupid to others as it does to me? Could some actual research be done before making knee jerk reactions? Hopefully this was a misquote.

"I've heard that someone was electrocuted. So, power has been turned off," Ekkarat said

As sad as the flooding is, does the above sentence sound as stupid to others as it does to me? Could some actual research be done before making knee jerk reactions? Hopefully this was a misquote.

Sound stupid?...Sounds NORMAL to me

Not to pick on Thailand, but I'll never forget a photograph of a resort in the Philippines. The main circuit breaker box was situated so a person had to go through a swimming pool, and then stand upon a tiny ledge to turn the breakers on or off. Indeed, water and electricity do not mix.

I was surprised to see recently though that a blender that I purchased in Chiang Mai had a "space" for a grounding blade, though the blade was not with the blender, and of course my condo did not have a receptacle for the grounding blade even if the part had been included.

Absolutely shocking!

My doughter in law works in a hospital in Nakhon Si Thammarat and says the water is one meter deep in the hospital.

People can say what they will about why not this why not that but the bottom line is how do you prepare and stay prepared for ever for unnatural natural events.

its a shame the electricity was turned off AFTER someone was electricuted, i was always taught that water and electrics dont mix,might have been a good idea to turn it off a bit earlier.

Never ceases to amaze me how many times I see locals shinny up poles with extension wire, and hook up their food stalls to electricity. One slip of the hand, or an arc to sweaty, or wet hands, and its bbq'd villager.

Amusing Thailand.

Another observation;

Listed in the news for the day, is this gem, 1 million people stranded as floods rage through Thai South

and further down we have, Thai Tourism council hopeful of limited flood impact

AND..........................................................................Tak Governor Dimisses Possibility Of Bhumibol Dam Collapse

Kinda gives ya a warm cuddly safe feeling, doesn't it??

I doubt if the power was cut of on purpose - it's needed for pumping etc - however I'm sure that there are plenty of points where the power supply equipment can quickly become submerged - I've never noticed any forethought in electrical installation in Thailand

Lets not let the floods get in the way of hearing more about the Body Painting Contest. Pics pls K. Ekkarat

YES OF COURSE-----a million people lose all they have,house furniture all their personal belongings,and storms are raging----BUT LETS NOT FORGET THE BODY PAINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its a shame the electricity was turned off AFTER someone was electricuted, i was always taught that water and electrics dont mix,might have been a good idea to turn it off a bit earlier.

Might have been even a little smarter if they had stayed away from it.

My doughter in law works in a hospital in Nakhon Si Thammarat and says the water is one meter deep in the hospital.

People can say what they will about why not this why not that but the bottom line is how do you prepare and stay prepared for ever for unnatural natural events.

A supply of sandbags at important buildings such as hospitals would be a start!

"does the above sentence sound as stupid to others as it does to me?"

Yes

I have not seen a properly grounded home since I have been here. It is normal.

8 Provinces Declared Disaster Zones

Eight southern provinces have been declared natural disaster zones as floodwater has terrorized parts of the region.

The Disaster Department Prevention and Mitigation has declared eight southern provinces disaster zones.

They are Nakhon Srithammarat, Phatthalung, Surat Thani, Trang, Chumphon, Songkhla, Krabi, and Phang-nga provinces.

The department said it has demanded a 100 million baht budget to assist flood victims in five provinces. An additional budget will be allocated if officials see the situation as worsening.

The weather bureau said that a strong low pressure continues to cover the coast of Krabi Province, leading to medium-to-heavy rainfall in the area.

Locals have been advised to brace themselves for possible flash flooding and mountain run-off.

The Gulf of Thailand is expected to see waves of 2-3 meters high. Fishing boats have been advised to use caution.

Concerning the North, Northeast, and Central parts of Thailand, unusually cold weather and strong winds are expected to continue to spread across the nation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-30

footer_n.gif

Lets not let the floods get in the way of hearing more about the Body Painting Contest. Pics pls K. Ekkarat

YES OF COURSE-----a million people lose all they have,house furniture all their personal belongings,and storms are raging----BUT LETS NOT FORGET THE BODY PAINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he was just trying got be funny.. Take it easy

Waves are currently 2 - 2.5 meters. There's actually no need to suspend ferry services as long as you use proper equipment instead of using small junk every hour. But it's "ride the horse until it's dead" and it will most likely be forever as a safe ferry costs money, hence the ticket prices will not be competitive and Somchai will drive his Hilux happily onto one of the rusty buckets in Don Sak to have some Beer Chang money for the 2 hours trip to Samui.

post-4853-0-17033700-1301472413_thumb.jp

Edited by shunima

I doubt if the power was cut of on purpose - it's needed for pumping etc - however I'm sure that there are plenty of points where the power supply equipment can quickly become submerged - I've never noticed any forethought in electrical installation in Thailand

what is happaning throughout thailand is tragic. my thoughts go out to these people,. heavy rain has already caused havoc for the farmers in the smaller provinces,. washing away the rice fields-causing millions of baht in damages along the way.

-and i also believe the goverment should be doing more to help the people. lets face it many other countries would have a plan A

plan B and either plan C ----ready for opperation if needed. the sea defences throughout thailand need improven upon.

we live in such uncertain times-melting polar caps!! who is to say thailand will remain a hot tourist destination.

Have you seen the cabling on the street poles in Pattaya? An absolute joke. I saw exposed live terminals on a construction site there within arms reach!

yes. in patong phuket it is the same. none of the pigeons have feet, only stumps, from landing on the wires and being electrocuted and their feet blown off - really.

You prepare for them by having a better infrastructure and fire drills, just like you had in school when the bells rang. You instruct the people beforehand and teach them what to do in the event of whatever...most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

Have you seen the cabling on the street poles in Pattaya? An absolute joke. I saw exposed live terminals on a construction site there within arms reach!

yes. in patong phuket it is the same. none of the pigeons have feet, only stumps, from landing on the wires and being electrocuted and their feet blown off - really.

That's nothing. On numerous pedestrian crossovers in Bangkok there are exposed, live wires within arms reach. Children may have to stretch a bit, though.

so the trains to the south are cancelled yes? i need to go to hat yai, i guess the train is not an option? hat yai isn't mentioned so it must be ok? a flight it will have to be.

oh and my thoughts on this matter - i'm sure that the people of the south are strong enough and conditioned enough to ride this severe misfortune - but fear that lessons from mistakes will not be learned. as usual. my sympathies to those who are suffering