Govt To Impose Maximum Tax Rates On Distilled Spirits To Reduce Alcohol Consumption Among Thais

webfact

Finance Ministry to Impose Maximum Tax Rates on Distilled Spirits

The Finance Ministry is set to impose maximum excise tax on distilled spirits at a maximum rate, in hopes of reducing alcohol consumption among Thais.

Deputy Finance Minister Man Pattanothai said his ministry is considering imposing the maximum excise tax rate on distilled spirits, as part of an effort to reduce alcohol consumption as proposed by the Public Health Ministry.

As a result, the tax rates will be raised from 120 baht to 400 baht per liter of alcohol for rice whiskey and from 300 baht to 400 baht per liter of alcohol for mixed liquor.

He added the Excise Department is studying the feasibility of the tax increase, while a proposal is expected to be presented to the Finance Minister for consideration this week.

The deputy minister admitted he expects a number of complaints from manufacturers after the hike, but said the tax rates for the two types of spirits have not been adjusted since May 2009.

The deputy minister added the ministry will ensure that the hike will not affect locally-made liquor or alcoholic beverages produced from rice or sticky rice.

The tax increase is expected to push the price of distilled spirits up sharply.

A 630cc bottle of white spirit will cost 100 baht with the new tax rate, which is twice the current price.

Man said his ministry will come to a conclusion on the policy as soon as possible in order to prevent hoarding.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-30

footer_n.gif

"... The deputy minister added the ministry will ensure that the hike will not affect locally-made liquor or alcoholic beverages produced from rice or sticky rice."

Smacks of Restrictive Trade Practices. Thailand would be had up in any Western Court.

But all governments think alike - they don't give a hoot about the issue - this is all about increased revenues from taxes so they have more to spend or spread around in cronyism and ripoff's. Taxes are theft and funds obtained are not fully accounted for - ever. No trading statement or balance sheet or even reasonable trustworthy audit, especially in Thailand.

Somebody should read this stuff before they print it

"As a result, the tax rates will be raised from 120 baht to 400 baht per liter of alcohol for rice whiskey"

"The deputy minister added the ministry will ensure that the hike will not affect locally-made liquor or alcoholic beverages produced from rice or sticky rice."

Somebody is not paying attention or this is a very bad translation.

The deputy minister added the ministry will ensure that the hike will not affect locally-made liquor or alcoholic beverages produced from rice or sticky rice.

Shows they're not interested in the real issue them. Somebody should pinch him and let him know this is the stuff that's killing the poor folk. All tax hikes on booze does is hit Mr innocent John Doe. If ever the reds/yellows wanted something legitimate to protest about...

how stupid is this.... if they're only changing the price for imported booze, then somebody is lobbying to cut down the competition. not to mention that anything made locally, especially the cheap stuff, contains dangerous chemicals...

so the bottom line is that they are not trying to get people to drink less, they are trying to line their pockets some more and cut out the competition....

This is only a scheme to get more revenue. It's terrible, because now the poor will become more poor, and will pay for the booze of the rich!!!! The US does this a lot with tobacco products, and it never stops anyone from smoking weather they can afford it or not, the only thing it does is increase grey markets and shift spending habits, that's all.

This is only a scheme to get more revenue. It's terrible, because now the poor will become more poor, and will pay for the booze of the rich!!!! The US does this a lot with tobacco products, and it never stops anyone from smoking weather they can afford it or not, the only thing it does is increase grey markets and shift spending habits, that's all.

This translation ball-hucks, is so off track read #6. the locals will get pizzed :lol: whatever they do with the tax, because Nong Khai lao khao will stay about the same price.

We will be getting the road deaths this holiday -period. and if the tax goes on-(after the holiday?)...HI SOs it will NOT affect.

A awful article - Poorly Translated

Title - Ministry to impose maximum tax rate on spirits. (suggesting it has been decided)

Body of text - " his ministry is considering imposing the maximum" and "the Excise Department is studying the feasibility of the tax increase." and "his ministry will come to a conclusion on the policy as soon as possible" (Suggesting nothing has been decided)

Now we know why they want those 300 English Teachers

Shows they're not interested in the real issue them. Somebody should pinch him and let him know this is the stuff that's killing the poor folk. All tax hikes on booze does is hit Mr innocent John Doe. If ever the reds/yellows wanted something legitimate to protest about...

Totally agree. What on earth are they on about - a tax hike on distilled white whiskey from 120 to 400 baht - but 'the ministry will ensure that the hike will not affect locally-made liquor ... produced from rice or sticky rice'. Which is distilled white whiskey. Duh. WHY?!

You're right, either a bad translation or a cull of the 'peasant class'. Which???

Wow, expect Thailand to become less sanuk as a result. Most Thais don't drink now because its too expensive. You might ask why drug abuse has really rocketed in Thailand and low kao production has gone underground...

This article doesn't make any sense. It's impossible to figure out what's happening from this text - except that the government is flexing it's ineptitude again.

If the price of Lao Khao and Ya Dong goes up, people will switch to drinking turpentine and go blind by the thousands.

The price has remained the same since May 2009...wow that's a long time.

Since you clearly hate Thailand and Thai people...

Finance Minister - screw you! :jerk:

Edit: I'm sorry about the direct insult, but I wanted to make sure he understood he case he was reading. :angry:

Reading--he or someone cannot understand what he has written. Petrol 91 is half the price of LaoKao !!!! have a ciggy on me :partytime2::sorry:

Alcohol is now expensive in Thailand even by Western standards apart from the vomit-inducing, gut-rotting local rice wines and whiskeys which any sane person wouldn't be drinking anyway.

By comparison, a can of local beer across the border in Cambodia starts at about 20thb a can in a bar, a bottle of decent drinking wine from the bottle-shop is 350thb and a bottle of Talisker 10yo single malt is a tidy 800thb. B)

A thought: Maybe it is better to have drunk disenchantment among the various colored t-shirts than sober disenchantment.

Citizens who are dignified and somber in manner or character, and committed to keeping promises, may come together and decide what will be taxed. The next step is implementation.:P

There is a way around it... homemade "moonshine" will be sold in local neighborhoods.

It already is made and sold in local neighbourhoods. One of my neighbours has operated a still ever since anyone can remember. He is probably planning to add a second still with this news.

Alcohol is now expensive in Thailand even by Western standards apart from the vomit-inducing, gut-rotting local rice wines and whiskeys which any sane person wouldn't be drinking anyway.

By comparison, a can of local beer across the border in Cambodia starts at about 20thb a can in a bar, a bottle of decent drinking wine from the bottle-shop is 350thb and a bottle of Talisker 10yo single malt is a tidy 800thb. B)

"any sane person wouldn't be drinking anyway " -- I think you quite misunderstand the motivation involved here. Most of the people who regularly drink " vomit-inducing, gut-rotting local rice wines and whiskeys " do not imbibe to enjoy the taste and bouquet of the spirit --- they drink to get drunk ! Effect and cost are the prime considerations in the choice of beverage - no consideration is given to "a bottle of decent drinking wine from the bottle-shop " let alone " a bottle of Talisker 10yo single malt " .

Edited by tigermonkey

Good to know.

Time to go stock up on my "Uncle Tom's" collection before they raise the price. You gotta love any alcohol that can't even call itself Rum, Gin and Vodka, and simply labels it "White Spirits R", "White Spirits G" and "White Spirits V". I can't stand the rice stuff, but never let it be said I'll pay a baht more for my OH functional groups than absolutely necessary if I can stomach it.

Good to know.

Time to go stock up on my "Uncle Tom's" collection before they raise the price. You gotta love any alcohol that can't even call itself Rum, Gin and Vodka, and simply labels it "White Spirits R", "White Spirits G" and "White Spirits V". I can't stand the rice stuff, but never let it be said I'll pay a baht more for my OH functional groups than absolutely necessary if I can stomach it.

At this rate a lot of -OH will have CH3 in front of it. Doesn't LOS already have enough blind people :rolleyes: