Crackdown On Massage Parlours

george

Govt targets massage parlours

BANGKOK: -- Massage parlours could be hit with higher licence fees or increased taxes under government plans to drive people out of the business. The moves comes in the wake of the controversy over the location of the Alaina massage parlour, opposite a high school on Ratchadapisek road.

PM's Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva, said the government wanted to reduce the number of massage parlours inside and outside areas zoned for entertainment.

''The government will not order them to be shut as that would be unfair to these people, who have been in business a long time. Instead, we have chosen to discourage them from the business,'' he said.

The operating licence fee could be significantly raised, along with higher charges on the transfer of licences. A progressive tax may also be introduced. The government wants to amend laws and regulations relating to entertainment venues, particularly on their distance from schools and places of worship as the Entertainment Venues Act is unclear on this point.

--Bangkok Post 2005-09-22

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- Massage parlours could be hit with higher licence fees or increased taxes under government plans to drive people out of the business. The moves comes in the wake of the controversy over the location of the Alaina massage parlour, opposite a high school on Ratchadapisek road.

PM's Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva, said the government wanted to reduce the number of massage parlours inside and outside areas zoned for entertainment.

''The government will not order them to be shut as that would be unfair to these people, who have been in business a long time. Instead, we have chosen to discourage them from the business,'' he said.

The operating licence fee could be significantly raised, along with higher charges on the transfer of licences. A progressive tax may also be introduced. The government wants to amend laws and regulations relating to entertainment venues, particularly on their distance from schools and places of worship as the Entertainment Venues Act is unclear on this point.

Next it will be the bars , they just dont want people to visit Thailand anymore .

''The government will not order them to be shut as that would be unfair to these people, who have been in business a long time. Instead, we have chosen to discourage them from the business,'' he said

This is a classic quote. :D

Definately not a budding hub Ovenman, but I can't see them vacating their time honoured properties :o

Next it will be the bars , they just dont want people to visit Thailand anymore .

hi...

well if you want a bar or massage parlour oppisite your kids school then fine. i dont and i agree with this law.

there are plenty of entertainment zones already.

amarka

This industry has a massive cash turnover, so they won't close them down this way. (What was the guy who knocked down those bars in Soi 10 paying the men in brown each week?)

I think it's just so the Govenment gets the kickbacks rather than the little men in brown!

This industry has a massive cash turnover, so they won't close them down this way. (What was the guy who knocked down those bars in Soi 10 paying the men in brown each week?) 

I think it's just so the Govenment gets the kickbacks rather than the little men in brown!

The guy who knocked down those bars in Soi 10 is the same guy who owned most of these places of entertainment until he was "reborn" as the crusader against entertainment places being located across the street from schools.

Why dont they just make an area where all the sleazy people can go...an designated red light zone...licence prostution but keep it in that zone and lock up the ones outside that zone....strict but fair...

that way it wont be in our kids faces.....

and for all of u guys whining about it, deal with it...! would u want your daughter or sister as hooker with some fat sleazy jurk with them....i dont think so....

:o justmy pennies worth

In truth, the government is becoming "Westernized". The prime minister luckily made a billion dollars with IBM and became a "convert". So of course he moralizes everything into Western cultural ideas. Work ethic--which he has emphasized--development, economic "progress" etc.

These may make some sense, but the truth is, stamping out Thai customs to become Westernized doesn't make anyone happy. What is the real goal? Christianity? Sexual repressive societies work harder no doubt? The age of Protestantism/Puritanism however, is over. The West just can' t understand that their culture is already dead, and the east thinks it can imitate its way to success.

Most important is preservation of culture, not imitation of capitalist, industrialism vis a vis the Western moral approach. Up until recently, America was full of houses of ill repute, as they were called. Then the moralists got busy and zoned them out of existence. So why is there so much sexual perversion in America?

That's why! And don'y forget it!

Why dont they just make an area where all the sleazy people can go...an designated red light zone...licence prostution but keep it in that zone and lock up the ones outside that zone....strict but fair...

and for all of u guys whining about it, deal with it...!  would u want your daughter or sister as hooker with some fat sleazy jurk with them....i dont think so....

:o  justmy pennies worth

Belfastboy,

Talk about whining! You are as guilty as any "sleazy person."

There are all the different cultures and constituencies colliding here. While each one thinks about their perfect world and wants to promote that, they all must DEAL WITH each other and compromise. You are obviously disgusted with those your label as sleazy. I was a born-again Christian from ages 23-45. Now I am 50 and see the world through a new set of glasses. I feel it is more mature and realistic. I also have a pretty 15 year old daughter. Of course, I prefer that she make good choices for herself. But this is the world I was born into and it is her world as well. Mai pen rai.

But back to the issue of a massage parlor across the street from a school. What is the harzard? Are children allowed to get a massage? I get a massage regularly in the US and it is a very pleasant way to spend an hour. It relieves stress and brightens my day. I see nothing wrong with it. Some massage parlors offer the happy ending, but some do not. So I have no problem with massage parlors any more than nail salons or beauty parlors. If prostitution is occuring inside, or hands jobs, how is that "in the faces of our children" as you put it? It is well hidden. The kids cannot see it, not can adults. All the kids know is that there is a building across the street with a sign on the window saying Massage.

Are you worried that the young girls will try to obtain employment there? A few probably will. It doesn't mean they will succeed. This type of girl will seek out a place where she can do the sex business regarding of where it is. She is the same as us sleazy people. The wholesome kids will not be corrupted. They will say "ewwww" if they knew there was sex going on in there - or anywhere. So while your idea about segregating sleazy people from non-sleazy folks has some merit, practically it 1) it difficult to accomplish and 2) sleazy people resent it. It's one thing to freely choose to cluster together with other like-minded folks, like an Amish community. It quite another to be told we MUST stay in our own little ghetto, like an indian reservation.

Let's set an example of reasoned tolerance, as well as vigilence, for our kids sake. Maybe you are right. maybe the clientele of the massage parlor include child molesters or worse. I don't know. But that's my first reaction and opinion. :D

and for all of u guys whining about it, deal with it...!  would u want your daughter or sister as hooker with some fat sleazy jurk with them....i dont think so....

Hey i resemble that remark . 555555 . I dont aprove of them being by schools thats for sure . If it affects all of them then you are going to have people losing jobs and tourism going down .

Edited by jrincon17

hi'

a sad reality for these people in business for long time, they will be sucked out or they better close now to save a bit ... and some more girls in the street :D

what a smart idea :o

not suprised from such a band of hypocrits :D

francois

amarka - better leave thailand then if you are worried about what your lil ones will see. :D

Yeh, you might prefer the way's of the Saudi's :D

hi guys,

no not really i prefer thailand - even as it is -

but everything has its place and some activities should not be near schools or religious sites. its a very simple point and no more than that.

there are areas or zones, just like shopping centers or business centers. nightlife zones are for nightlife.

schools are for kids.

amarka :o

amarka - better leave thailand then if you are worried about what your lil ones will see. :D

Yeh, you might prefer the way's of the Saudi's :D

hi guys,

no not really i prefer thailand - even as it is -

but everything has its place and some activities should not be near schools or religious sites. its a very simple point and no more than that.

there are areas or zones, just like shopping centers or business centers. nightlife zones are for nightlife.

schools are for kids.

amarka :o

Just like anyother country !

Think you're all missing the main point brought out by the article

Thailand does have zoning laws and a zoning office in each Muang

The government is both knee-jerking (responding to a currently popular story) and flip-flopping (they after all encouraged the spa and massage industry 4 years ago as part of a return to traditional values)

It is obvious that the xoning officers are either unqualified for their job, or not applying the zoning laws (stating the obvious here) but instead of sorting out those offices and officials, the government is protecting the inefficient bureaucrats and penalising their customers (the businesses) instead.

Introducing a law of that nature is regarded in some countries as "non-cash corruption" in that power has been abused to damage a group of people or organisations who were acting within pre-existing laws that those in power did not benefit from.

...... confusing myself now but I know what I mean :o

I hear so many people complaining that new Thai laws are killing tourism. Perhaps these laws are not good for sex tourism but I think tourism among the other 90% of people would be encouraged. Thailand does need to clean up its image if it is seeking greater numbers of "medical", "honeymoon", and "family" tourists.

Perhaps Taksin Inc. sees this as a move to increase revenue by improving the quality of tourists.

Besides, sex tourists will keep coming as long as there is a supply.

I hear so many people complaining that new Thai laws are killing tourism.  Perhaps these laws are not good for sex tourism but I think tourism among the other 90% of people would be encouraged.  Thailand does need to clean up its image if it is seeking greater numbers of "medical", "honeymoon", and "family" tourists. 

Perhaps Taksin Inc. sees this as a move to increase revenue by improving the quality of tourists.

Hmmm have to clean up their own back yard first since majority of dosh made in this industry is thai. :o

Like everything - this will prob be forgotten as quick as it was said - Thai Govt Way!!!

are you from belfast???

it just seems strange to read this, coming from someone who is from a city that loves its children, so much, the parents throw bricks at other parents kids.

massage parlour in the face or bricks in the face???? bit of a choice there????

massage parlours or firebombs? which sets a better example??

some people should have a look at there own back yard before looking over the fence!

:D:D i think the areas are clearly marked

I hear so many people complaining that new Thai laws are killing tourism.  Perhaps these laws are not good for sex tourism but I think tourism among the other 90% of people would be encouraged.  Thailand does need to clean up its image if it is seeking greater numbers of "medical", "honeymoon", and "family" tourists. 

Hmmm have to clean up their own back yard first since majority of dosh made in this industry is thai. :o

Like everything - this will prob be forgotten as quick as it was said - Thai Govt Way!!!