Alternative To Phoenix School

seefah

We're considering moving our child from Phoenix School in South Pattaya as they currently only have an English program with 10% Thai or a Thai program with only 10% English. Ours is on the English program, so when at home, doesn't really want to speak Thai.

Is there another school that offers a more equal percentage of Thai and English that you can recommend?

I really need to decide what to do soon, as payment for the next term is almost due.

Where do you want your kid to go after Phoenix? International school or Thai school?

If International keep the English and teach Thai at home, if Thai then switch to Thai and teach English at home.

Otherwise Sathit claims to have more English curriculum out of the Thai schools.

The honest answer is we're not sure.

I had thought (maybe wrongly) that we'd get our kid speaking equal amounts of Thai and English, then later maybe go back to UK for his secondary / further education, knowing that he'd have at least some Thai language skills.

Also depends on me getting new work here, which hasn't been the case for quite a few months now, but having to cover all bases just in case.

When we first went to Phoenix, I didn't realise that a school which has a reasonable reputation would have such a vast difference of time spent on the two main languages Thai and English (actually they teach a little Chinese also).

There was another school we had heard about some time ago, who's name we've forgotten, but think its in South Pattaya for maybe a bit further and who's name begins with 'S'. Any ideas?

If we do stay for a while, which I hope we do, then I'd very much like our kid to speak more Thai, as his Thai at present is very limited in my opinion. Certainly would be at a disadvantage if in a mainly Thai taught school.

Is Sathit the Satit Udomseuksa School?

Is Sathit the Satit Udomseuksa School? Yes. my daughter, (5yrs) attends Thai program there and she is obviously fluent, her English is very good, picks it up from parents at home.

Yes, I have heard that the English curriculum is good at Satit and the campus is well-maintained and extensive. However, I know two English teachers (both from the UK) who have moved on to other schools in the area because they were grossly dissatisfied with the lack of discipline and attitude of the principle (Thai). Please don't ask me more about their dissatisfaction because that's all I know.

Is Sathit the Satit Udomseuksa School?

As other posters have said, yes.

And it's probably the school in South Pattaya that begins with S that you are asking about.

It's located 'behind' Greenways Golf. cross the tracks and turn right, then you make a left into the housing estate and it's in there.

Schools like Satit, BEST Burapa have their problems, whether with what they teach, who teaches or discipline.

I believe Phoenix because of it's size (and therefore small classes) is better than the other two for the 'Thai Program'.

The English program at all three is probaly fairly similiar.

The Phoenix Thai Program has 5 hours English per week, but you can always supplement that with an extra hour after school, which in effect gives 10 hrs per week plus speaking, reading etc at home. Probably ample for a young kid. Alternatively you can just reverse the Thai Program for the English program.

But as Pattaya Parent said it is important to know what the future holds.

A lot of kids have dual nationality but will probably never go overseas for schooling and will live most of their lives in Thailand, therefore Thai Language skills is a must.

When a Thai child has finished BOR 6 they receive a certificate to that effect. Without this paper it is nearly impossible for them to do further study in any school in the Thai system and the only alternative is to go to an international school or private school with large fees.

As a last thought, probably BEST has the best mix of languages but the management is quite overbearing, teachers change a lot and discipline is sometimes a problem.

Anyway hope this has helped somewhat--in the end 'do what's right for your child's future, not for yourself'.

Cheers...couchspud

Edited by couchpotato

Our daughter has gone to Satit since primary 2. She will go to secondary 3 after the summer holidays (now). She speaks, reads and writes fluent English so she is in the Thai program (pointless to put her in the English program, she would be correcting the teachers English). After checking all the alternatives in this price range we think it's the best there is for the price. Of course it's not Regents, but I think that's about 20 times the cost of Satit, so that's to be expected.

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

The school that starts with the letter 'S' I was trying to remember isn't Satit and I still can't remember the name. Maybe if I see their van drive along Sukhumvit, I'll jot the name down.

Satit was actually a school I wanted to visit when we were evaluating which school to start with. Unfortunately we never visited it as its more inconvenient for us to get to.

So in all likelihood we will just stay where we are and continue with the English program, but will have to try for more Thai at home, which really has to be done by the Thai wife.

Addition:

Actually, just spoke with my wife about it again and we might have a look at Satit, if they are open next week.

Edited by seefah

The school that starts with the letter 'S' I was trying to remember isn't Satit and I still can't remember the name. Maybe if I see their van drive along Sukhumvit, I'll jot the name down.

Satit was actually a school I wanted to visit when we were evaluating which school to start with. Unfortunately we never visited it as its more inconvenient for us to get to.

So in all likelihood we will just stay where we are and continue with the English program, but will have to try for more Thai at home, which really has to be done by the Thai wife.

Addition:

Actually, just spoke with my wife about it again and we might have a look at Satit, if they are open next week.

I think you have Srisuvith school in mind,it's located a few Km outside pattaya towards Laem Chabang.They build a new school last year where they teach English Program and in the older buildings ( not airconditioned) they teach Thai program.It's a big school with approx. 4000 students.

They are cheaper than the other schools in the region.I looked into it myself last year as the location is convenient for me and I think they have an interesting program and had my boy even complete an entry exam.

What held me back is that they have classes with minimum 30 students up to 40 in the English programand the Thai program even + 40 students per class.

Edit to add : I also looked into the Sathit opition but in my opinion a school that employs Katoey teachers and adminstrative staff is not the place to be for my child.I think not so long ago there even was a thread onhere where a Katoey teacher at mentioned school had beaten a student.Do a search it is somewhere in the database.

Edited by janverbeem

• 1 month later...

Addition:

Hi Itarana,

No opinion on Satit as we never visited them. Not by choice as such, we just currently don't have adequate transport to where the school is. So Phoenix it is for now.

I, like several other parents I have spoken to, have some issues with Phoenix, I guess that every school has its problems. Actually almost ever parent I have spoken to (Thai & foreign) have mentioned one thing or another, mainly minor issues though, but are never looked into apparently.

Having said that, the school seems to be run reasonably well and is maintained/kept clean. Good mix of different foreign kids, Thais too, but the two language programs never seem to mix, maybe good thing, maybe not.

Apart from some of the small safety issues that could easily be corrected, my biggest issue is probably with the language program. Its pretty much Thai with little English, or English with little Thai. There is also a small fraction of Chinese apparently, but I seen no evidence of this. I really can't understand the school's thinking about the language program separation. Also, a couple of the foreign teachers seem to be out of their depth when 'trying' to teach children, but I remember seeing an advert for new teachers at Phoenix for only 25,000 Baht, so what can be expected for this level of money.

I would certainly recommend Phoenix over other local schools, but cannot comment about Satit unfortunately.

Hi Itarana,

No opinion on Satit as we never visited them. Not by choice as such, we just currently don't have adequate transport to where the school is. So Phoenix it is for now.

Strange comment as Sathit and Phoenix are about 1 Km seperated from each other.Both have schoolbus service.

She speaks, reads and writes fluent English so she is in the Thai program (pointless to put her in the English program, she would be correcting the teachers English).

That is so funny because it's so true,my stepdaughter went to a school who's name I can't remember and the English she was being taught was hilariously BAD !

She spoke good English through being at home and talking with her mother and me but was getting into trouble at school for getting their poor English tests wrong.

We took her out of there as quickly as we could.

If you want your child to do secondary education in UK then English is a must. Concentrate on that.

Thai can be learned at home from family and friends or from a private teacher if needs be.

I can't imagine any other answer than that ^^^^^^^^^^

How old is your kid?

How do you do background checks on the teachers at these schools....to find out why they are teaching here....are they not allowed to teach in there own countries or do they choose to teach here as this is there new home like it is mine. I know in Australia there are very strict guide lines for teachers...is this the case in Thailand?I only ask as Im thinking of sending my child to a school in Pattaya.

Edited by Aussietrooper

Also, a couple of the foreign teachers seem to be out of their depth when 'trying' to teach children, but I remember seeing an advert for new teachers at Phoenix for only 25,000 Baht, so what can be expected for this level of money.

What you say is absolutely correct..i know one former and one current teacher at Phoenix School and both are unqualified to teach which is quite disturbing really considering the fees that school charges, and i would imagine a number of other schools will be the same

How do you do background checks on the teachers at these schools....to find out why they are teaching here....are they not allowed to teach in there own countries or do they choose to teach here as this is there new home like it is mine. I know in Australia there are very strict guide lines for teachers...is this the case in Thailand?I only ask as Im thinking of sending my child to a school in Pattaya.

Interpol?

Can anyone list what these "schools" are charging falangs (including the Regent).

Thanks in advance

School fees vary with the class the kids are in, if there is one or more kids from the same family, and fees are made up of several sub-fees (signup fee, semester fee, books, food, uniform).

Some schools (International schools) charge 3 semesters per year, others (most private Thai schools) charge 2 semesters per year.

Not easy to make a simple list of the costs.

I just checked Regents online price list and it seems they have reduced their prices considerably since I checked last time, a few years ago. At that time the first year in secondary school would cost around 800,000 baht all incl. It seems that price is nearer 550,000 now.

First year in secondary school in Satit for comparison is less than 75,000 baht, all incl. ;)

Wow!

Are you refering to the Monaco branch?

:D

My kid ain't in Pattaya but her (she is 3 years old) school costs me 2K baht per month.

Modern clean building with air conditioning. Lunch included. 5 days per week. Drop her off at 0830 and pick her up at 1630. 3 university grad teachers for 25 kids. They throw in a little english and mandarin. Mostly a socialization exercise at that age.

This is nice to know...any names?

Also, a couple of the foreign teachers seem to be out of their depth when 'trying' to teach children, but I remember seeing an advert for new teachers at Phoenix for only 25,000 Baht, so what can be expected for this level of money.

What you say is absolutely correct..i know one former and one current teacher at Phoenix School and both are unqualified to teach which is quite disturbing really considering the fees that school charges, and i would imagine a number of other schools will be the same

This is nice to know...any names?

No sorry...No names

School fees vary with the class the kids are in, if there is one or more kids from the same family, and fees are made up of several sub-fees (signup fee, semester fee, books, food, uniform).

Some schools (International schools) charge 3 semesters per year, others (most private Thai schools) charge 2 semesters per year.

I just checked Regents online price list and it seems they have reduced their prices considerably since I checked last time, a few years ago. At that time the first year in secondary school would cost around 800,000 baht all incl. It seems that price is nearer 550,000 now.

First year in secondary school in Satit for comparison is less than 75,000 baht, all incl. ;)

But then you compare an International school with exclusively western teachers thaught in English with a Thai program at a Thai school thaught by Thai teachers.

What is the experience from people here about Phoenix School?

How do you and kids like it?

What about the teachers?

We have 1 kid that started there now, in 1 grade. She also went to summer school before school started now at 9th May 2011.

But then you compare an International school with exclusively western teachers thaught in English with a Thai program at a Thai school thaught by Thai teachers.

Regents school has an internationally accredited program. That means after

graduating Regents school, my kids will be able to apply to any University,

world wide. (And hopefully will be on the same level as other kids).

If you don't care about sending your kids to an University outside of Thailand,

any Thai school should be just fine ...

Both of my kids speak, read, write perfect Thai and English (for their age) and

have started to take Mandarin now.

Best regards,

rudi

Ours is on the English program, so when at home, doesn't really want to speak Thai.

To prevent the above problem, my Thai wife and I had a rule:

She would only speak Thai to our kids, and I would only speak English

with them.

Even though we both speak Thai and English, we would refuse to understand

or speak anything else with the kids.

Now my kids are truly bi-lingual, switching languages on the fly. They

fight in both languages, and make jokes in both languages. Sometimes

it is funny to watch them talk and switch back and forth ...

Cheers,

rudi

Ours is on the English program, so when at home, doesn't really want to speak Thai.

To prevent the above problem, my Thai wife and I had a rule:

She would only speak Thai to our kids, and I would only speak English

with them.

Even though we both speak Thai and English, we would refuse to understand

or speak anything else with the kids.

Now my kids are truly bi-lingual, switching languages on the fly. They

fight in both languages, and make jokes in both languages. Sometimes

it is funny to watch them talk and switch back and forth ...

Cheers,

rudi