No Interview Appointments For Usa

I am a retired US citizen and have owned a home in Phuket for 5 years.I have been planning a trip back to the USA to visit family and planned to take my Thai wife whom has accomplished all the items needed to get an appointment; purchase PIN, completed the online application, paid for the application, etc. on January 30, 2011.

Our attorney has been paid to habdle this for us and says he has been watching the on line system and noted that the section that gives the estimated appointment schedule always stated 14 days for the Tourist visa we need. We allowed 9 weeks and made our airline reservations for April 6, 2011 to fly Bangkok to Los Angeles.

However, no matter how many times thye check (daily for 7 weeks) the system shows no appointment dates available – EVER!. We anticipated that we would get the appointment in 1-3 weeks, even the system told us average waiting time was 2 weeks and now we are stuck with what to do? Another complicating factor is that we live in Phuket and need to schedule travel to Bangkok for an appointment. Our scheduled flight for this USA visit departs from Bangkok April 6.However I will postpone this if there is even a glimmer of hope. We will be in Bangkok on Sunday & I can go to the Embassy at 6AM if need be. However, I have not got a clue what to do. My wife is heartbroken.

Our entire trip is now at risk. I would love for someone to give me a different option in this situation and to find out if the on-line system has malfunctioned because again today it shows no appointments available.

Please respond if you can help us with this predicament. Roger.

A possible solution is to call and get more info at one of these numbers that I see on the USA web site.

Visa Information and Appointment Website:

http://thailand.

us-visaservices.com

Live Call Center Service: 001-800-13-202-2457

Visa Information Recording:

Non-immigrant Visas

Tel: +66-2-205-5003 (English) or +66-2-205-5007 (Thai)

A possible solution is to call and get more info at one of these numbers that I see on the USA web site.

us-visaservices.com

Visa Information Recording:

Non-immigrant Visas

Tel: +66-2-205-5003 (English) or +66-2-205-5007 (Thai)

[email protected] add this also as a good email I got a response within Hours..

Slightly off topic, I apologize in advance.

I'm applying for my wifes green card for us to plan a return to the states permanently in the near future but want to get the preliminaries out of the way for planning purposes.

She isn't Thai she's mainland Chinese living and working here many years now and we've been together almost 9 years and married 8 with 2 children together.

I was at the embassy a few weeks ago to renew my youngest boys passport and they told me that we needed to file our application across the street at the DHS (Department of Homeland Security) offices which I've never been to before, actually didn't even know they were there..

The building looks like parking is available, is it? That's one question and the second question is an appointment required? As no one said anything about that at the Embassy. Thirdly is how to book then as I'm not seeing anything relative to this listed on the Embassy site though there are links to the forms required..

Sorry to the OP if I highjacked your thread we are/were hoping to go on Monday to pick up my boys passport and then go across to DHS division to file the forms and hope we still can at this late date unannounced..

Slightly off topic, I apologize in advance.

I'm applying for my wifes green card for us to plan a return to the states permanently in the near future but want to get the preliminaries out of the way for planning purposes.

She isn't Thai she's mainland Chinese living and working here many years now and we've been together almost 9 years and married 8 with 2 children together.

I was at the embassy a few weeks ago to renew my youngest boys passport and they told me that we needed to file our application across the street at the DHS (Department of Homeland Security) offices which I've never been to before, actually didn't even know they were there..

The building looks like parking is available, is it? That's one question and the second question is an appointment required? As no one said anything about that at the Embassy. Thirdly is how to book then as I'm not seeing anything relative to this listed on the Embassy site though there are links to the forms required..

Sorry to the OP if I highjacked your thread we are/were hoping to go on Monday to pick up my boys passport and then go across to DHS division to file the forms and hope we still can at this late date unannounced..

Here's some DHS info, actually you want Citizenship and Immigration Services, USCIS

Mac

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/immigrant-visa-process.html

IMMIGRANT VISA

Immigrant Visa Process

Here are the three important steps to the Immigrant Visa Process:

1. THE FIRST STEP - THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

The process of applying for all categories of immigrant visas begins with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In most cases, this consists of filing a petition with the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the petitioner's place of residence in the United States. The petitioner should contact the appropriate USCIS office using the Government Pages of the local telephone directory or by going to the USCIS website. If the petitioner resides in the United States, the processing time varies depending on the service center where the petition is pending. In a limited number of cases, if the petitioner can demonstrate current residence in Thailand for at least six months, the petition may be filed with the USCIS office in Bangkok. The general inquiry email box for USCIS Bangkok is [email protected]. To access USCIS forms, click here

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain/uscis.html

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Address: Sindhorn Building

Tower 2, 15th Floor

130-132 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel.: 02-205-5352/5382 (within Thailand)

Tel.: 011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Email:

BKKCIS.Inquiries

@dhs.gov

The Bangkok Office is located next door to the U.S. Embassy, Tower 2, 15th Floor, Sindhorn Tower Building. Pay parking and access for individuals with special needs is available.

The office is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00am to 11:30am and from 12:30pm to 3:00pm. Wednesday from 8:00am to 11:30am. We are closed on Thai and American holidays.

us-visaservices.com

To talk with someone at the live call center you need a PIN which cost $20. You can't use the same PIN which you purchased to do the on-line application. When you get through to someone they know nothing, only to tell you to keep trying the on-line system for an appointment.

We are having the same problem getting an appointment. Hopefully there will be someone with a solution out there.

Thanks for that info guys..Actually though I did get some information and having been married for this length of time the site said that a visa was not necessary but to apply directly for a green card instead..

And the above section does not apply as we are not now nor ever have been in the US we are applying for a green card abroad..

Edited by WarpSpeed

us-visaservices.com

To talk with someone at the live call center you need a PIN which cost $20. You can't use the same PIN which you purchased to do the on-line application. When you get through to someone they know nothing, only to tell you to keep trying the on-line system for an appointment.

We are having the same problem getting an appointment. Hopefully there will be someone with a solution out there.

Yeah this is the part that is unclear, I think we are at different stages in our process and we have already filled out the application in print not online and are going to hand deliver when we go down to the Embassy to pick up our boys renewed passport..

The parking thing though is big as I always used to park down the street at a hotel and walk the distance but there is a walk over bridge right there so parking there and walking over is the way to go from now on..

Husky it just occurred to me that when we were trying to access the I-130 application online (which is why we ended up having to download and print a generic one) the site would not work with Google Chrome browser which another guy in line at the Embassy suggested was the problem.

I checked when I got home by changing the browser and he was right it worked with IE so maybe this a similar problem with your situation try using another browser, worth a try..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Husky it just occurred to me that when we were trying to access the I-130 application online (which is why we ended up having to download and print a generic one) the site would not work with Google Chrome browser which another guy in line at the Embassy suggested was the problem
For us it is the DS-160 form.

It allowed us to buy an on-line PIN to fill out the application, upload a picture (to required specifications), enter many pages of personal information and then in fact complete the DS-160 form on-line. The very last part of the process is scheduling the interview. This is a completely separate web site. Prior to starting to enter data you must have a number for a completed DS-160. After that you must again enter several pages of information prior to getting the appointment. Once you fill in all of data the very last step is to 'pick and appointment' from a calendar. Everything up to this point works fine, it is only when you get to the calendar that all dates show as 'no appointments available' or 'non-working days'.

After trying this several times called the call center but found I could not use my on-line PIN code, so I bought another code for $20. The operator said 'OH yes, everything is working fine, the only problem is there are no appointments'. I asked if she could make me an appointment. 'No, we use the same calendar screen where you are seeing there are no appointments available'.

It really sounds just like a skit off Saturday Night Live, but it is no longer April 1st and I don't think it is my browser although I have tried several just in case.

Actually though I did get some information and having been married for this length of time the site said that a visa was not necessary but to apply directly for a green card instead..

From WHERE did you get this piece of information?

I was not aware that any potential immigrant to the US could ever enter the US without an immigrant visa.

I'd hate to think that having been with my wife for 13 years now and married for seven years and having two children that we wasted incredible amounts of time and money on obtaining for her an IR-1 visa......

...though I suspect it wasn't wasted and the OP has received some bogus information.

Write to your US congressman/woman or senator. USCIS has a special congressional liaison unit that expedites things miraculously if they receive even a phone call from a US rep.We have done this many times and it works always.

Call the Live Call Center Service: 001-800-13-202-2457, follow the promps, enter your pin and you'll eventually get a live person who will then give you an appointment time. You should have done this weeks ago, they do have expedited visas, but you must make an appointment first and then request an expedited visa via e-mail. However, they don't give expeditied visas for tourists, only for business purposes and a couple of other reasons that you do not qualify for.

You might try rescheduling your air tickets and then follow the instructions clearly. The online appointment schedule doesn't mean anything, the live person on the phone could have given you your visa appt. within about 10-14 days. Also, your attorney either hasn't done this recently or has no idea what he's doing. I just completed the US Visa process for two people and they both received their appoinments on the day we sent in the applications online and received their appoinments that were scheduled for about 12 days after that. We also were able to expedite the appoinments (for business puposes) and finish the entire process start to finish in about a week. You have to call to get an appointment and the sooner you do it, the better, and yes you can use the same pin number as long as you didn't use the pin to schedule an earlier appoinment.

Edited by gjoo888

What ^he said.

Husky it just occurred to me that when we were trying to access the I-130 application online (which is why we ended up having to download and print a generic one) the site would not work with Google Chrome browser which another guy in line at the Embassy suggested was the problem
For us it is the DS-160 form.

It allowed us to buy an on-line PIN to fill out the application, upload a picture (to required specifications), enter many pages of personal information and then in fact complete the DS-160 form on-line. The very last part of the process is scheduling the interview. This is a completely separate web site. Prior to starting to enter data you must have a number for a completed DS-160. After that you must again enter several pages of information prior to getting the appointment. Once you fill in all of data the very last step is to 'pick and appointment' from a calendar. Everything up to this point works fine, it is only when you get to the calendar that all dates show as 'no appointments available' or 'non-working days'.

After trying this several times called the call center but found I could not use my on-line PIN code, so I bought another code for $20. The operator said 'OH yes, everything is working fine, the only problem is there are no appointments'. I asked if she could make me an appointment. 'No, we use the same calendar screen where you are seeing there are no appointments available'.

It really sounds just like a skit off Saturday Night Live, but it is no longer April 1st and I don't think it is my browser although I have tried several just in case.

:blink: Wow! No appointments?? Is the person you're speaking to Thai or American? Information sometimes get skewed (putting it diplomatically) I'd ask to speak with someone of the..Errr..Non local variety in your case..

I was also told everything was fine with my application attempts and it was this other gentleman in line behind me that pointed out like me that it was not "fine" and I asked him to also relay his information to them to help me make my case as well as the site should accommodate all browsers and besides the error message I was getting was completely non-descript so could not even diagnose.. It kept telling me my Abode needed updating in spite of being the most recent available..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I had all the above problems. Even filling in the accursed D-160 was a trial as it frequently crashed mid-form. Eventually I cleared step 1 & moved to 'choosing an appointment time.' This is another joke as your only choice is 7.30 or 8am. This means someone at the US Embassy has shares in Bangkok Hotels for overnight stays.

The time is an insult. We arrived early at 7am for an 8am appointment. My wife was allowed in with a batch of others and I waited on the pavement (sidewalk US?). She was eventually seen by someone at 11.20! The interview lasted maybe three minutes. She got a a visa valid for 10 years.

My trip is in 13 days time. LAX Immigration tell me it is unlikely I will clear them in time for my final plane to LAS despite landing 1 hour fifty minutes earlier. I have paid for a hotel room that I will not be able to use because there are not enough officers to shorten wait times. Welcome to America. We moan about BKK? This was to be the trip of a lifetime and will be getting off to a nightmare start of sleeping on an airport floor at the age of 68!

Needless to say this is my last trip. No more of my Tourist $s will be spent in a place that clearly doesn't want visitors.

Actually though I did get some information and having been married for this length of time the site said that a visa was not necessary but to apply directly for a green card instead..

From WHERE did you get this piece of information?

I was not aware that any potential immigrant to the US could ever enter the US without an immigrant visa.

I'd hate to think that having been with my wife for 13 years now and married for seven years and having two children that we wasted incredible amounts of time and money on obtaining for her an IR-1 visa......

...though I suspect it wasn't wasted and the OP has received some bogus information.

I don't have link as I was thumbing through for info and it was late, but it was clearly stated on the Us embassy Visa site as a link it stated the difference when you've been married 2 or more years as I recall and reside out of country.

I've been through some hoops to we'll see on Monday when inquire and file officially.. In the mean time I'll do some more searching to see if I can find it I should have book marked it for my own reference if nothing else..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It seems I may be using or omitting some terminology on this topic, I'm not an expert..........Yet............ But a visa seems to be required but not necessarily all of the steps being described in our case..Still searching and researching..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I don't have link as I was thumbing through for info and it was late, but it was clearly stated on the Us embassy Visa site as a link it stated the difference when you've been married 2 or more years as I recall and reside out of country.

Right. Less than two years = CR-1 visa. More than two years = IR-1 visa.

But this is still an immigrant visa. The difference meaning that if you've been married more than two years she receives permanent residency (her green card) as soon as she clears immigration. If you've been married less than two years, the green card is conditional and at a later date must be upgraded.

But you still need to complete the full immigration process including the acquisition of an immigrant visa.

See this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

And excerpted from that page:

What Is Conditional Residence?

If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.” The immigrant visa is a conditional resident (CR) visa, not an immediate relative (IR) visa.

You and your spouse must apply together to USCIS to remove the conditional status within the ninety days before the two-year anniversary of your spouse’s entry into the United States on his or her immigrant visa. The two-year anniversary date of entry is the date of expiration on the alien registration card (green card). See Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage on the USCIS website.

And from this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

Spouse

If you are an American citizen you have two ways to bring your foreign spouse (husband or wife) to the United States to live. They are

Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1) - An immigrant Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 is required.

Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) - It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place. After the visa process has been completed, and the visa is issued, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case. Two petitions are required:

Petition for Alien Relative, Form 1-130; and

Petition for Alien Fiancé (e), Form I-129F

So, she DOES NEED A VISA.

Call the Live Call Center Service: 001-800-13-202-2457, follow the promps, enter your pin and you'll eventually get a live person who will then give you an appointment time
I don't think this is recent as I just called, there was clear communication, she said that they use the same calendar that I see and there are no appointments. She did say to keep trying back as appointments come in periodically although I had yet to see one.
Write to your US congressman/woman or senator. USCIS has a special congressional liaison unit that expedites things miraculously if they receive even a phone call from a US rep.We have done this many times and it works always.

I will try this.

Have been checking continuously and have not yet seen an available appointment at any time.

Right. Less than two years = CR-1 visa. More than two years = IR-1 visa.

But this is still an immigrant visa. The difference meaning that if you've been married more than two years she receives permanent residency (her green card) as soon as she clears immigration. If you've been married less than two years, the green card is conditional and at a later date must be upgraded.

But you still need to complete the full immigration process including the acquisition of an immigrant visa.

See this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

And excerpted from that page:

What Is Conditional Residence?

If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.” The immigrant visa is a conditional resident (CR) visa, not an immediate relative (IR) visa.

You and your spouse must apply together to USCIS to remove the conditional status within the ninety days before the two-year anniversary of your spouse’s entry into the United States on his or her immigrant visa. The two-year anniversary date of entry is the date of expiration on the alien registration card (green card). See Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage on the USCIS website.

And from this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

Spouse

If you are an American citizen you have two ways to bring your foreign spouse (husband or wife) to the United States to live. They are

Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1) - An immigrant Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 is required.

Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) - It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place. After the visa process has been completed, and the visa is issued, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case. Two petitions are required:

Petition for Alien Relative, Form 1-130; and

Petition for Alien Fiancé (e), Form I-129F

So, she DOES NEED A VISA.

Yes I see that now as I said it was late when I looked at it after a long day. Anyway I still can't figure why one needs a Fiance visa when one has been married for such a length of time and has children together, time for some updates and new classifications..

Here is the definitive answer. I went through exactly the same situation. EXACTLY. After I called a few folks at the embassy, twice I got someone who simply did not know and gave stock answers like "we are very busy this time of year...." or, "keep trying, new slots will open up...", etc. I tried telling them that nothing was availble for the next 15 years and the unlikelihood and ridiculously high probability of that NOT being the reason but......Bottom line, there are many slots available! The system you are trying on has a problem, you have to keep talking to someone who won't give you the stock replies. The schedule will be repaired once your complaint makes it high enough and you get hold of sympathetic embassy personnel. THERE ARE SLOTS AVAILABLE. PLENTY! Call the embassy. Once somebody gets the message enough, they will contact their internal IT personnel and the magically the site will be repaired.

I went through exactly the same situation. EXACTLY. After I called a few folks at the embassy, twice I got someone who simply did not know and gave stock answers like "we are very busy this time of year...." or, "keep trying, new slots will open up...", etc. I tried telling them that nothing was availble for the next 15 years and the unlikelihood and ridiculously high probability of that NOT being the reason but......Bottom line, there are many slots available! The system you are trying on has a problem, you have to keep talking to someone who won't give you the stock replies. The schedule will be repaired once your complaint makes it high enough and you get hold of sympathetic embassy personnel. THERE ARE SLOTS AVAILABLE. PLENTY! Call the embassy. Once somebody gets the message enough, they will contact their internal IT personnel and the magically the site will be repaired.
Were you able to get an appointment in Bangkok?

I checked today the availability in Chiang Mai and that calendar is normal, ie there are a few appointments days available within the two month time frame as you would expect. We don't live near Chiang Mai so we can't go there I don't think, however, it does show that my browser and the way I am accessing the system is totally normal and the problem is with the calendar at the Bangkok embassy. I found the phone line not helpful but am encourage that you got someone there who would help I haven't had any success in that regard.

Edited by husky

One other thing, my emails are being ignored, first one sent on the 31st of March, it came back and said you must have 'NIV Inquiry' in the subject so I resent it immediately (as instructed), there has been no response. Also sent another one first thing this morning, will update if I get any response back.

Here is the definitive answer. I went through exactly the same situation. EXACTLY. After I called a few folks at the embassy, twice I got someone who simply did not know and gave stock answers like "we are very busy this time of year...." or, "keep trying, new slots will open up...", etc. I tried telling them that nothing was availble for the next 15 years and the unlikelihood and ridiculously high probability of that NOT being the reason but......Bottom line, there are many slots available! The system you are trying on has a problem, you have to keep talking to someone who won't give you the stock replies. The schedule will be repaired once your complaint makes it high enough and you get hold of sympathetic embassy personnel. THERE ARE SLOTS AVAILABLE. PLENTY! Call the embassy. Once somebody gets the message enough, they will contact their internal IT personnel and the magically the site will be repaired.

Who are you calling? I too have be trying but have not found anyone that really cared...even went to the embassy and was given the stock answer, slots will be opening next week, well it is next week and nothing so far, and how a month came on already full???? Please tell us who you are talking with.....thanks

One other thing, my emails are being ignored, first one sent on the 31st of March, it came back and said you must have 'NIV Inquiry' in the subject so I resent it immediately (as instructed), there has been no response. Also sent another one first thing this morning, will update if I get any response back.

I too sent one this morning

Who are you calling? I too have be trying but have not found anyone that really care
I called the number from the website. Be prepared to purchase a PIN code for $20 and then talk with someone who tells you everything is normal, just keep trying back. Something is really wrong with the department that maintains the calendar.

Visa Information and Appointment Website: http://thailand.us-visaservices.com/

Call Center Service: 001-800-13-202-2457

Well, yet another day they won't get anything done Just got this message, I guess three days next week is not enough for them.......

On Tuesday, April 5, 2011, the U.S. Embassy (Bangkok) will hold its community Songkran Celebration. The Embassy will close for most business at 11:00 a.m. so that everyone can take part in this celebration.

Who are you calling? I too have be trying but have not found anyone that really cared...even went to the embassy and was given the stock answer, slots will be opening next week, well it is next week and nothing so far, and how a month came on already full???? Please tell us who you are talking with.....thanks

Same boat here. We've been calling for over a week already and the answer is to just keep trying. They also inform that it's not possible to book a date further than the ones that are visible online - which is now up until end of May. Was watching the online section since the last week in March when it had March/April visible. So waited until the last working day in March and began checking the times every few hours. The timetable changed over in the middle of the night and bright and early the next morning we had April/May up and all dates full for May.

I find it hard to understand how the dates for May can have been filled up so quickly in a few hours. This leads me to think that the line they are giving is rubbish and it is possible to book a few months in advance. We're not leaving until October so we're luckier than some I see here but it would still be nice to know what other number there is to call ....

I got an answer back from my email to them Lots of great help......

Thank you for yourinquiry. Our staff member was correct, you should continue to check ourautomated system for appointments. While they are opened regularly, theyfill very quickly. Please note that we have not yet openedappointments for June. We apologize for any inconvenience in this periodof very high demand for appointment slots.