Galaxy Tab 8.9 And 10.1

Sakeopete

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I have seen enough reviews to think that the HTC Flyer might be a better option. Worth a look, anyway.

That Flyer looks nice, but it's pretty expensive now at 21,900 baht. (I think that includes the battery-powered stylus, but check to make sure. Best Buy and HTC in America have been taking heat for offering the Flyer at a low-ball price, but not including the stylus with it. The stylus costs an extra $80 USD each!) The Flyer has been repeatedly slammed for providing no storage for the stylus; wouldn't want to lose one at that price!

The Computex trade show in Taipei a few weeks ago had a lot of tablet action; I think the market is going to be flooded with these in the fall and the prices will come down substantially. I'm gonna try and resist for now!

Yeah its a bit frustrating. I was hoping the new Galaxys would be the first really "mature" Android tablets, but they've done a few really stupid things with them. The annoying part is, they've copied all the things that are *wrong* with the iPad:

* No micro USB port (you can buy a plugin adapter kit).

* No micro-sd slot (I so hate this).

* On board cameras are bad quality.

* Speakers are not great (strange, because the sound on the old Galaxy tab was surprisingly good).

* Proprietary connector/charger interface (why? why?).

* Personal thing, but I think that 7" (paperback) size is way more convenient to hold and carry than 10".

The HTC Flyer on the other hand has none of the above problems (except for the cameras). I like the stylus (maybe not the price) - there's some things where you want to have a bit more precision than your fat fingers can give you. And it has a nice aluminium body.

I'm torn between getting a Flyer now, or waiting to see if the next generation of tablets will have everything sorted out. By the way, can you get the Flyer in Bangkok now? If so where?

Yeah its a bit frustrating. I was hoping the new Galaxys would be the first really "mature" Android tablets, but they've done a few really stupid things with them. The annoying part is, they've copied all the things that are *wrong* with the iPad:

* No micro USB port (you can buy a plugin adapter kit).

* On board cameras are bad quality.

* Speakers are not great (strange, because the sound on the old Galaxy tab was surprisingly good).

* Proprietary connector/charger interface (why? why?).

* Personal thing, but I think that 7" (paperback) size is way more convenient to hold and carry than 10".

The HTC Flyer on the other hand has none of the above problems (except for the cameras). I like the stylus (maybe not the price) - there's some things where you want to have a bit more precision than your fat fingers can give you. And it has a nice aluminium body.

I'm torn between getting a Flyer now, or waiting to see if the next generation of tablets will have everything sorted out. By the way, can you get the Flyer in Bangkok now? If so where?

Its availble http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/smartphones/htc/flyer-7inch-android-tablet-p006391/

I'm torn between the HTC Flyer and the Eee Pad Transformer.

I like the 10.1 Tab but agree, this lack of uSD support is disappointing. I could have sworn I saw a trade-show video which showed a uSD card, but I must have been mistaken.

The Acer A500 has HDMI out (the Tab requires a cable), uSD and USB.

Edited by lomatopo

Maybe we should wait for a tablet with dual-core processor and (at least) Android 3.1.

I read that Android 3.0 does have a few flaws.

A good source for news in this field is www.engadget.com

I'm confused. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, under discussion in this thread, has a dual-core processor and runs Android 3.1. AFAIK, all these new 10.1 tablets (Tab 10.1, A500, Thrive, Transformer) have dual-core processors and run Android 3.1.

I decided not to wait for the perfect tab. I tried a 10" I-Pad didn't see the point of it TBH. It is hard to hold with one hand so to watch a movie or even surf comfortably you need to prop it up. Might as well use a netbook as it can prop itself up, now I know why they are called coffee table accessories.

One of the guys I met at work had the Galaxy Tab 7" 3G he bought in Malaysia. He let me play with it a bit and I liked the size of it. Easy to hold, surfing was nice as was video, the picture quality is awesome.

Bought a wifi Galaxy tab for 9900 Baht and couldn't be more happy with it. I have read reviews about the old operating system but I don't see anything wrong with it. Every app I have loaded works great and there are thousands of free apps.

What I like is there are so many apps for young and older kids. My 3 & 5 year old love the apps suited for their age like "Kid Mode". There are also tons of coloring and drawing programs suited for the little ones.

Anyways I think I will stick with 7" tabs I really like the portability and ease of holding it (also for my kids to hold).

I hope there are more 7" models coming out in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided not to wait for the perfect tab. I tried a 10" I-Pad didn't see the point of it TBH. It is hard to hold with one hand so to watch a movie or even surf comfortably you need to prop it up. Might as well use a netbook as it can prop itself up, now I know why they are called coffee table accessories.

One of the guys I met at work had the Galaxy Tab 7" 3G he bought in Malaysia. He let me play with it a bit and I liked the size of it. Easy to hold, surfing was nice as was video, the picture quality is awesome.

Bought a wifi Galaxy tab for 9900 Baht and couldn't be more happy with it. I have read reviews about the old operating system but I don't see anything wrong with it. Every app I have loaded works great and there are thousands of free apps.

What I like is there are so many apps for young and older kids. My 3 & 5 year old love the apps suited for their age like "Kid Mode". There are also tons of coloring and drawing programs suited for the little ones.

Anyways I think I will stick with 7" tabs I really like the portability and ease of holding it (also for my kids to hold).

I hope there are more 7" models coming out in the future.

Agreed on all points, really convenient size to take and use anywhere. My 3 year old also loves it and it seems like it's almost the perfect size for her.

Minor note: I've upgraded mine to a custom ROM (Overcome) so now it's running Android 2.3.3 along with a few nice kernel tweaks amongst other things. And so far I haven't noticed any abnormalities associated with running a custom ROM on the thing.

Edited by momosan

• 2 weeks later...

I just got hold of a 10.1 on display at IT City in Pantip. As expected it has the nicest feel of any Android tab I've seen so far. Unfortunately, they only have 16GB storage and without a card slot its just not enough (I have 16 on my phone with most of the apps stored on a flash card and still run out of internal space). They are 'doing an Apple' and selling silly external card/USB adapters for additional $$$.

I also had a play with an Asus Transformer (17,900 baht). It's quite an interesting beast with micro SD slot and 2 USB ports and a very good keyboard. However it is quite heavy and strangely uncomfortable to hold because the edges aren't rounded and stick into you. With the keyboard attached its more or less the same size/weight as lugging a notebook around, and unfortunately both USB ports are on the keyboard half of it.

Lastly, I went and took a second look at the Acer Iconia. As far as ports and slots go its the king and you can get a 3G version right now. Downside: The build quality is crap, especially the buttons.

Overall I confess disappointment, particularly with Samsung who have done the Galaxy tab and probably Android a great disservice by trying to upsell standard connectors as some kind of optional extra. I still had to slap myself a couple of times to avoid an impulse buy, but I think I'll wait another six months and see if they come to their senses and build it in.

I just got hold of a 10.1 on display at IT City in Pantip. As expected it has the nicest feel of any Android tab I've seen so far. Unfortunately, they only have 16GB storage and without a card slot its just not enough (I have 16 on my phone with most of the apps stored on a flash card and still run out of internal space). They are 'doing an Apple' and selling silly external card/USB adapters for additional $$$.

I also had a play with an Asus Transformer (17,900 baht). It's quite an interesting beast with micro SD slot and 2 USB ports and a very good keyboard. However it is quite heavy and strangely uncomfortable to hold because the edges aren't rounded and stick into you. With the keyboard attached its more or less the same size/weight as lugging a notebook around, and unfortunately both USB ports are on the keyboard half of it.

Lastly, I went and took a second look at the Acer Iconia. As far as ports and slots go its the king and you can get a 3G version right now. Downside: The build quality is crap, especially the buttons.

Overall I confess disappointment, particularly with Samsung who have done the Galaxy tab and probably Android a great disservice by trying to upsell standard connectors as some kind of optional extra. I still had to slap myself a couple of times to avoid an impulse buy, but I think I'll wait another six months and see if they come to their senses and build it in.

Samsung is selling it's Galaxy Tab 10.1 16G wifi for 18,900 here? Guess Samsung is upmarketing it's Tab over Apple in Thailand as the iPad 2 wifi 32G costs 18,900

if it is Samsung Tab 10.1 3G+wifi 16G model that sells for 18,900, then makes more sense

Edited by linguini

It's a real dilemma choosing between an Android or iPad tablet. I love my Android phone and all the things I can do with it and it's open architecture and over-the-air updates and app marketplace. However, because of that openess...most of the A-tabs seem a little half-baked in terms of features and/or form factor. The Honeycomb OS is generally well implemented across manufacturers. The Apple iPad is closed and therefore, it just works! Sure you will pay an Apple tariff for most everything you do with it but the entire eco-system works well.

As time is passing quickly, I may just wait a few more months for the iPad 3, which hopefully will have an upgraded screen (Retina?) and maybe an over-the-air iCloud app purchase/update and iTunes purchase scheme.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I don't think you'll see a tablet with a retina display as the pixel count on a large display would have to be massive. Very frustrating...I am still a bit tempted to get the old 7" Galaxy tab if the prices crash when the new ones come out.

UPDATE: Samsung Unveils New Software For Its Tablet

Article

EmailPrinter

FriendlyShare:

facebook

↓ More

Text

--Samsung unveils a software update for its Galaxy Tab 10.1

--Tech giant is hoping to differentiate itself from other Google Android tablets

--New software includes entertainment and enterprise features

(Updates with additional Samsung background in the eighth and ninth paragraphs and a comment from Motorola in the 12th paragraph.)

By Shara Tibken

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Samsung Electronics Co. (SSNHY, 005930.SE) unveiled a software update for its 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab as the tech giant seeks to differentiate its tablet from the other Google Inc. (GOOG) Android devices in the market.

The update, which adds new features to the operating system, comes a couple of months after Samsung first launched the tablet in the U.S. The company, like many device makers, has been seeking ways to distinguish its products from similar machines running on the Android platform. But the various Android tablets so far haven't gained much traction against the Apple Inc. (AAPL) iPad.

Samsung on Wednesday introduced new software that it says makes the user experience easier, more visually appealing and more entertaining. It also unveiled new features to appeal to business users, such as WiFi printing capabilities and secure remote network access.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110803-715594.html

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, AIS said in their Q2 Investor presentation that they'd have a 3G version available August, 25. YMMV.

Text:

Samsung

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Exclusive for AIS

The Thinnest and Fastest Tablet

• The largest screen & fastest tablet

• 2G/3G 900 and 2100/Wifi

• Android 3.1

Available Aug-25

at AIS and partner store with 3 month

free subscription to top 10 e-magazine

from from AIS bookstore

Any word on any of them? I'm getting old.

I got mine from AIS in Central world on the 25th, but I had booked it at QSCC on June 2nd so YMMV.

It is really nice and battery life seems to be around 24 hrs with more or less constant (varied) use.

//t