Sophon Cable Internet--Latest Reports

gguy

The Sophon guys have stuck a label with an IP address and some other things on it over the back of the modem, So without removing that I can't see what model it is.

I had a look at the Connections settings, but it doesn't seem to say very much. Nowhere do I see a userid or password in there - I don't know them, anyway. It just says things like allow unsecured password, get an IP and DNS address each time, and so on.

I don't have a router as I only have one PC, and I have no idea how I would program the modem even if it was possible.

The Sophon guys have my username and password clearly printed on my contract.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That isn't satisfactory because the DUN window will go modal while it's dialing and each time it redials, popping up all the time while you're trying to do something else w/ your computer. You'd be surprised how often the connection is briefly lost, necessitating a redial; and that redialing could go on for a long time . . . . You'll end up turning off that "dial whenever connection not present" in XP anyway and go to manual.

I dont see why the cable connection should go down at all, let alone often. One nice thing about cable is that it is (or should be) very robust, when compared to ADSL.

The Sophon guys have stuck a label with an IP address and some other things on it over the back of the modem, So without removing that I can't see what model it is.

I had a look at the Connections settings, but it doesn't seem to say very much. Nowhere do I see a userid or password in there - I don't know them, anyway. It just says things like allow unsecured password, get an IP and DNS address each time, and so on.

Difficult to say exactly how they have set it up from your brief description. If there is an IP address on the modem label then that may be an address you can use to programme said modem. What is it? Try typing it into your browser address bar and see what happens. You cant do any damage.

What other things did they write on it? (Do not post complete usernames or passwords on here.)

You will find the username (and the password in the form of *******, which can be read with special software) by right-clicking on the DUN connection in the "connections" window, and selecting "properties". There you will also find the option that allows the connection to establish itself automatically.

http://abouttricks.com/auto-connect-dial-up-connection-without-software/

Make a note of any settings that you change, just in case you want to put them back as they were.

Normally your ISP will always provide you with your login and password, for reference.

That isn't satisfactory because the DUN window will go modal while it's dialing and each time it redials, popping up all the time while you're trying to do something else w/ your computer. You'd be surprised how often the connection is briefly lost, necessitating a redial; and that redialing could go on for a long time . . . . You'll end up turning off that "dial whenever connection not present" in XP anyway and go to manual.

I dont see why the cable connection should go down at all, let alone often. One nice thing about cable is that it is (or should be) very robust, when compared to ADSL.

Heh, heh. TIT.

It's irrelevant how robust the cable is. Sophon broadband IS CAT and CAT goes down... believe me.

It's irrelevant how robust the cable is. Sophon broadband IS CAT and CAT goes down... believe me.

That rather depends on where the RADIUS servers are. As far as I know the LAN is managed by Sophon, and from there they have a single shared IP to CAT in BKK. So CAT going down upstream should not require your modem to reconnect to the LAN in Pattaya.

Of course the RADIUS servers could be with CAT in BKK but that's not what I was given to understand. Or the RADIUS servers themselves could be rubbish, and that would require frequent reconnections by the modem.

Talking about CAT; they seem to be at the stage of pulling optical cable through the pipes they have laid in 2nd Rd. They have put in a lot of new posts in the street and I'm looking forward to them putting whatever is going onto them in place. Then the denizens of 2nd Rd will all have access to what is supposed to be a 100mbs pipe. We shall see.

The way the Sophon people set up the cable broadband for me was to put an icon on the desktop which I have to double-click when I want to connect to the internet. It's no hassle as I just do it once when the PC has booted up and that's it for the day (unless I have to reboot the PC). This icon is for some small program that has a userid and password, but I don't know what they are, nor do I have a disk or anything else to reinstall the program.

So what happens if I have to reinstall XP, or for some other reason the Sophon connection program gets wiped? I've got no way of reinstalling it, so I would have to call the Sophon people to come and do it, but what would they charge? Anyone know? Not another 1500 Baht, I hope! Or would they do that for free?

3 times been back to re install and install on another computer,no charge and round ever time within 15-45 minuets

Forgive me if I am wrong but I always thought that cable internet was on all the time and no need to dial? It simply looks at the MAC address of the modem/router you are using and if it matches what they have on their system it grants access? I have never heard of dial up cable internet before.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I always thought that cable internet was on all the time and no need to dial? It simply looks at the MAC address of the modem/router you are using and if it matches what they have on their system it grants access? I have never heard of dial up cable internet before.

That's certainly how it works in places in Europe where I have seen it. In fact in Europe quite a few of the fancier triple-play ADSL boxes work without logins and passwords these days, and just connect based on the MAC address. (The ISP does also provide a login and password to be used with a standard modem/router, if ever the proprietary one fails.)

However, the fact that Sophon need to install a DUN connection (or even install the modem at all, as opposed to just plugging it in) leads one to suppose that it is indeed different here.

The way the Sophon people set up the cable broadband for me was to put an icon on the desktop which I have to double-click when I want to connect to the internet. It's no hassle as I just do it once when the PC has booted up and that's it for the day (unless I have to reboot the PC). This icon is for some small program that has a userid and password, but I don't know what they are, nor do I have a disk or anything else to reinstall the program.

So what happens if I have to reinstall XP, or for some other reason the Sophon connection program gets wiped? I've got no way of reinstalling it, so I would have to call the Sophon people to come and do it, but what would they charge? Anyone know? Not another 1500 Baht, I hope! Or would they do that for free?

3 times been back to re install and install on another computer,no charge and round ever time within 15-45 minuets

That's really what I wanted to know, thanks very much.

I don't have a router as I only have one PC, and I have no idea how I would program the modem even if it was possible.

The Sophon guys have my username and password clearly printed on my contract.

I had filed the contract away, but you're right, it does have my userid and password on it, thanks.

However, the fact that Sophon need to install a DUN connection (or even install the modem at all, as opposed to just plugging it in) leads one to suppose that it is indeed different here.

I have never had to dial a connection in 6 months. Username and password is entered once and that's it.... exactly as with an adsl connection. It is not DUN. You can enter the user name and password in Windows if you want to use LAN, or in the wireless router if you want a wireless signal.

I have never had to dial a connection in 6 months. Username and password is entered once and that's it.... exactly as with an adsl connection. It is not DUN. You can enter the user name and password in Windows if you want to use LAN, or in the wireless router if you want a wireless signal.

If you put the username and password for your connection into XP then it is being handled via DUN. That's just how it works.

This applies to regular analogue modems that dial a phone number and also to USB ADSL modems. The "dial" part of the name doesnt mean that it actually dials a phone number for all the connections.

The same XP software also handles other PPPOE connections, though in a slightly different way.

If you can programme the username and password into the modem or modem/router then you dont need to put it into XP at all.

If you put the username and password for your connection into XP then it is being handled via DUN. That's just how it works.

This applies to regular analogue modems that dial a phone number and also to USB ADSL modems. The "dial" part of the name doesnt mean that it actually dials a phone number for all the connections.

The same XP software also handles other PPPOE connections, though in a slightly different way.

If you can programme the username and password into the modem or modem/router then you dont need to put it into XP at all.

I should hope that any good ISP will set usrname and password into the router itself so as to be OS system agnostic.Some people run macs and linux. You shouldn't need to enter any information into your computer at all to get connected.

All that should be transparent to the user.

Edited by BugJackBaron

In my Condo I have UBC, I only have it for the Prem footy in the season otherwise is crap for the money, makes me laugh when one of the movie channels play an exclusive to star movies a film thats been out for years and next month will be on one of the others, exclusive, isnt it American ??

• 3 months later...

does anyone know the specs on setting up a wifi router for sophon, i have done it before back home but it seems here it has to be done manually some how adding IP numbers manually etc? I would use the the Sophon wireless router but they charge TWICE the price of the same router I can buy at Tukom...

Just had Sophon internet installed today.

I also bought my own wireless router for 950B.

You dont need to touch the modem setup at all. Just configure your router for PPPOE using the login and password that Sophon give you on the bill. Leave all the router DHCP/IP settings as they are.

Mine works fine, so far.

Just had Sophon internet installed today.

I also bought my own wireless router for 950B.

You dont need to touch the modem setup at all. Just configure your router for PPPOE using the login and password that Sophon give you on the bill. Leave all the router DHCP/IP settings as they are.

Mine works fine, so far.

Well I can't access my previously purchased Linksys Wireless-G router to configure it with Sophon LS Modem here in central Pattaya. Any tips on how to bypass the "dial up networking" so that I can get into the router set up screen

On topic, have had the 10 MB connection for about a month now, and after one service call a week after install, it has worked like a charm and Triple B Broadband is but a painful memory of the past

Well I can't access my previously purchased Linksys Wireless-G router to configure it with Sophon LS Modem here in central Pattaya. Any tips on how to bypass the "dial up networking" so that I can get into the router set up screen

Look at the DUN connectoid status whilst it is connected and note down the gateway IP address. Disconnect DUN. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem and connect it to a port on the router. You may need to restart your PC. This should allow you to access the router config page using the regular IP address of the router (normally 192.168.1.1) If you normally use wifi, configure it now.

You would then need to configure the router for a PPPoE connection using the login and password provided by Sophon, and, depending on your model of router, indicate what the gateway IP address is. Most routers will detect this automatically using DHCP though. There may be a built-in wizard to do this for you, in which case you would need to connect the modem and router before running it (see below).

Save the changes.

Reconnect the router and modem with a second ethernet cable, or the one that you were using before if you normally connect wirelessly to your router. Use the "internet"' port on the router.

Turn everything off and restart in this order: modem, router, PC.

From then on you should not use DUN.

Procedure will vary according to the particular model of router you have.

On topic, have had the 10 MB connection for about a month now, and after one service call a week after install, it has worked like a charm and Triple B Broadband is but a painful memory of the past

I tested all the packages in the Sophon office for bandwidth outside of Thailand. Unsurprisingly they all gave more or less the same result, apart from the ultra-expensive "premium" package which did somewhat better. So I just went with the cheapest 4Mbit package. It is obviously severely throttled outside Thailand, but very reliable.

For me anything that works all day, every day, without going down is perfect. And so far that is what the Sophon cable has done.

Look at the DUN connectoid status whilst it is connected and note down the gateway IP address. Disconnect DUN. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem and connect it to a port on the router. You may need to restart your PC. This should allow you to access the router config page using the regular IP address of the router (normally 192.168.1.1) If you normally use wifi, configure it now.

You would then need to configure the router for a PPPoE connection using the login and password provided by Sophon, and, depending on your model of router, indicate what the gateway IP address is. Most routers will detect this automatically using DHCP though. There may be a built-in wizard to do this for you, in which case you would need to connect the modem and router before running it (see below).

Save the changes.

Reconnect the router and modem with a second ethernet cable, or the one that you were using before if you normally connect wirelessly to your router. Use the "internet"' port on the router.

Thanks, will give a go and get back to you with a report

I tested all the packages in the Sophon office for bandwidth outside of Thailand. Unsurprisingly they all gave more or less the same result, apart from the ultra-expensive "premium" package which did somewhat better. So I just went with the cheapest 4Mbit package. It is obviously severely throttled outside Thailand, but very reliable.

For me anything that works all day, every day, without going down is perfect. And so far that is what the Sophon cable has done.

It must have something to do with location then although I had thought that cable should be relable wherever it was. I have had for 18 months now but planning to change to new True cable (just wired up the moobahn) as too many short term outages and varaible connection speeds which pay havoc with Skype video quality. I also have the 4mb but do not seem to have your relability unfortunately. I am located just off 3rd Road between Klang and Nua.

Cable should indeed be reliable. Perhaps you could get Sophon out to have a look? As far as I know they come out pretty promptly.

As True are running a completely new system, with all new cabling, theirs should be reliable also. For those in an area who can benefit from it, True's prices seem to be lower than Sophon's.

Unfortunately in my building there is no choice for cable.

I use Sophon cable for more than 1 year. I find them expensive, but I have to say it works well and the support is very good. I had very poor problems, the phone support is fast and good, and when needed the technicians can come fast in my place to check everything and sort it out.

I opened a thread here last year about my Sophon experience and I confirm everything I put on it, especially my last post. I'm too far from the city center to have a good TOT or True connection and their TOP package (1600B/month) is OK for the international if you have a normal usage.

Save the changes.

Was a little tough going until I learned how to delete the settings the Sophon tech made to my adapter which prevented me from getting into my routers setup screen. Once I did that, your instructions worked fine

Thanks a lot Darrel :clap2:

LSM

I had Sophon "Fibre" Internet (4 Mbit) for one month.

Than I canceled it because of the ridiculous international speeds.

Afternoon ~200 Kbit/s to my root server in Frankfurt.

Watching video streams, was impossible.

Switched to TOT (7 Mbit), speed ~ 1.5-2.0 Mbit to the same server/same time of day

Tot is slightly cheaper too.

I had Sophon "Fibre" Internet (4 Mbit) for one month.

Than I canceled it because of the ridiculous international speeds.

Afternoon ~200 Kbit/s to my root server in Frankfurt.

Watching video streams, was impossible.

Switched to TOT (7 Mbit), speed ~ 1.5-2.0 Mbit to the same server/same time of day

Tot is slightly cheaper too.

Are you in Pattaya area with Sophon? I'm in Jomtien using Sophon "fiber" for 9 months now... was great going on the big package 5 Mbps Premium for 1700B monthly but lately gone to hell.

They are switching IP addresses constantly throughout the day during some periods of time... usually lasts for days. Then speed comes back up

Do you have a static IP address with TOT service.... meaning the IP address never changes?

Edited by JGregory

I am in Pattaya near Big C extra and I used to get 1 mb/s downloads as I am on the 10mbit package, in the last month the connection is horrible. Can barely browse, download or do anything. I am thinking about cancelling or trying out the premium package. I just went with Sophon because all the other ones want you to sign a one year contract.