Sophon Cable Internet--Latest Reports

gguy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is very interesting. It was my understanding the internet came through a new set of lines and had nothing to do with the TV cable. If you live in condo with Sophon TV, do they run a separate cable from the main condo connection to your individual condo? I do not think so. Sophon Cable has probably run a new cable to the condo but it probably running with your Sophon TV cable from the condo junction to your room. I am going to the cable company today and ask about how the cable is run in a condo.

They ran a new cable into my townhouse which is not a Sophon TV cable. They have cabling seperate from TV cabling, but they link it up to get into condos, houses etc. Having Sophon TV cabling in your condo, house etc does not guarantee availability of Sohpon Broadband. You have to be near one of their junctions. They have a map of their nodes in the office.

"Now I confused. If you choices were standard 3BB via telephone or Sophon Cable, what is the best alternative???????"

No simple answer, imho. I don't know about the quality of the 3BB service, but DSL has more things that can go wrong in the path from the CAT Internet Gateway in Bangkok and your computer, than Fiber Cable does.

DSL is vulnerable to phone line degradation and outages and you must be less than a specific short distance from wherever their DSLAM is located. The DSLAM ( Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer ) communicates with your DSL Modem. When I had CAT, their DSLAM and/or the line between them and me would go out occasionally and it took them awhile to find the problem and fix it.

They also have Routers in the path between you and Bangkok, which Sophon claims to not have. When CAT had outages, they would use the excuse that their Routers were having problems, but it generally never took more than a few hours to fix. Presumably, 3BB gets their DSL feed from CAT, so they might incur the same vulnerabilities, but I'm just guessing on that.

If Sophon is to be believed, their Fibre cable comes directly from the CAT Gateway in Bangkok and goes into an Optical Switch in their Pattaya Tai office. From there, the fiber cables branch out to the various neighborhoods. They claim that the Fiber coming into my building is 100 Mbps.

So one of Sophon's selling points is that they come direct from Bangkok and don't go though the CAT equipment at CAT's Pattaya headquarters.

Theoretically, much less in the path to go wrong. Based on that criteria alone, I would go with Fiber as opposed to DSL, but be aware of the other issues previously discussed in this thread.

"Sophon told me that had 14 happy customers in my building."

They told me the same thing BEFORE I signed the contract. Later, I learned that was an exaggeration.

Many people who signed up for the lower tier services were unhappy with the speed and later upgraded to 10 Mbps-- which they tell me DOES NOT actually deliver 10 Mbps. They also had a difficult time upgrading, since Sophon did not want to cancel the original contract. They ask for one year's fees up-front and once they have the money, they don't want to make any changes.

When you present Sophon with the technical evidence of poor speed that most of their customers don't bother to accumulate-- they make excuses: "too many people on-line", "the problem is with CAT - there's nothing we can do"

The Premium service mentioned earlier would probably be OK, since it's basically CAT's Premium-- which I had for 6 years, but it's considerably more expensive.

My understanding is that you don't have to sign up for a contract. In this case you have to pay 2,500 for the modem and 1,500 for installation. The only benefit in signing a contract is a free modem (which you actually have to give back anyway). When you sign up for a contract you pay the full amount in advance. In actual fact it is not really a contract because you are paying the full amount in advance.

I would suggest not signing a contract and doing month-to-month and paying for the modem. IMO it would be better eat the modem cost and try it out first. In this case you actually own the LS cable modem.

Here's the most recent price list: post-34982-0-92010800-1301915404_thumb.j

Edited by tropo

When I got 3BB, I got free install and modem.

Since I use the internet mainly between midnight and 4Am, I was hoping the cheap 2Mp/512K economy pack would meet my needs. The number of users should be less than during day.

How much is Sophon Internet please ???

I did ask them and it was around 5,000 for 6 months paid in advance, they didn't do a monthly bill when i inquired.

They do monthly bills.

One thing anyone considering Sophon should know - they don't provide a Router, which the DSL providers do.

This means that you DON'T have a hardware firewall and your assigned IP address is exposed to the Internet. That can be very dangerous unless you use a software firewall, which I personally would not trust.

Sophon will sell you a Wireless Router for 2500 Baht, or you could find a much cheaper one at TukCom. I bought a Belkin basic router at IT-City for around 1100 Baht - not wireless, and a bit non-standard to configure if you use static internal IP addresses for your computers.

It should be made clear that the wireless routers required are not the common dsl routers, they are cable broadband routers with no socket for a dsl cable. I looked at the prices at Tukcom and they were 1900 cheapest up to 2400, so I went with the Asus router from the Sophon shop for 2,500 which includes free setup for anyone having problems. If they have to come over to setup a different router they charge 500.

Another annoying thing is that people tell me if they pay in advance for one year, you get one month free.

You don't, but you do save 2,500 (modem) and 750 (installation fee discount), so 3,250 baht for a year in advance. That's around 2 months saving on the expensive premier service, but only for the first year.

Another annoying thing is that people tell me if they pay in advance for one year, you get one month free.

You don't, but you do save 2,500 (modem) and 750 (installation fee discount), so 3,250 baht for a year in advance. That's around 2 months saving on the expensive premier service, but only for the first year.

I meant to say with other internet providers you get a discount is my pay in advance.

"you have to pay 2,500 for the modem and 1,500 for installation."

They originally had quoted me 1500 for installation also, but when they actually did the install at the end of December, they had reduced it to 750 Baht.

"If they have to come over to setup a different router they charge 500."

I originally had a Linksys Router and there was no charge to configure that.

"people tell me if they pay in advance for one year, you get one month free."

CAT did that last year, but Sohpon never offered me one month free. CAT is more expensive, and you save 2500 Baht with Sophon by going with the one-year deal, however the suggestion to eat the cost of the modem in exchange for not having to pay up-front, might be worth considering if you're squeamish . . .:D -- I have a friend who was going to do that, but I'm happy I didn't.

"you have to pay 2,500 for the modem and 1,500 for installation."

They originally had quoted me 1500 for installation also, but when they actually did the install at the end of December, they had reduced it to 750 Baht.

"If they have to come over to setup a different router they charge 500."

I originally had a Linksys Router and there was no charge to configure that.

"people tell me if they pay in advance for one year, you get one month free."

CAT did that last year, but Sohpon never offered me one month free. CAT is more expensive, and you save 2500 Baht with Sophon by going with the one-year deal, however the suggestion to eat the cost of the modem in exchange for not having to pay up-front, might be worth considering if you're squeamish . . .:D -- I have a friend who was going to do that, but I'm happy I didn't.

I compared CAT and Sophon broadband price lists last month. They were nearly identical varying by about 10 baht. CAT doesn't include the VAT in their prices, Sophon does. The 2,500 you save by going with a one-year deal is the price of the modem, which you have to give back anyway.

As you can see on their current price list, the installation cost for a one-year deal is currently 750. I went with 6 months and paid 1,500.

Interesting they didn't charge the 500 baht fee to set up your own router. Were they telling me bs to get me to buy their modem? Did they set yours up in the shop? Perhaps the 500 is charged if they have to do a call out.

Edited by tropo

"Interesting they didn't charge the 500 baht fee to set up your own router"

They configured it at my place - it takes less than 5 minutes and you could easily do it yourself.

"The 2,500 you save by going with a one-year deal is the price of the modem, which you have to give back anyway"

They never mentioned having to give the modem back, but what would be the point in keeping it anyway if you decide to give up their service?

I think that some of these varying costs and quotes have to do with whoever you're talking with at the moment and what their level of understand is ( TiT ) - as well as how much additional that individual thinks they can scam out of you. I was shocked when the installer told me the install would only be 750 as opposed to the quoted 1500. Since I paid him in cash, I would have expected him to simply pocket the difference.

When I had UBC installed a few years ago, the installers hit me up for an additional 1000 Baht for a "booster amplifier" which I later learned was a scam - there was no such device.

Edited by SurfRider

Having run with BBB and Sophon, there is no way I would now go back to BBB. Also BBB were throttling torents which Sophon do not do and on their 6Mb/.5Mb package I do get those speeds during quiet times, late at night until early morning then drops to about 4Mb/0.5Mb during the rest of the day. As a quick example I never got a consistently good skype video call to the UK with BBB but have no complaints about the quality at all now with Sohpon. They took the fibre optic cable in my moo bahn and teed it into the TV cable to come into my house.

RabC

Edited by RabC

"Interesting they didn't charge the 500 baht fee to set up your own router"

They configured it at my place - it takes less than 5 minutes and you could easily do it yourself.

"The 2,500 you save by going with a one-year deal is the price of the modem, which you have to give back anyway"

They never mentioned having to give the modem back, but what would be the point in keeping it anyway if you decide to give up their service?

I think that some of these varying costs and quotes have to do with whoever you're talking with at the moment and what their level of understand is ( TiT ) - as well as how much additional that individual thinks they can scam out of you. I was shocked when the installer told me the install would only be 750 as opposed to the quoted 1500. Since I paid him in cash, I would have expected him to simply pocket the difference.

When I had UBC installed a few years ago, the installers hit me up for an additional 1000 Baht for a "booster amplifier" which I later learned was a scam - there was no such device.

They were absolutely insistent on the modem not belonging to me and it having to be returned if I discontinued the service. They mentioned it on two seperate occasions and when I made a remark about it (how silly it was) she pointed to some Thai writing on my contract where it is stated in black and white.

I didn't pay the installation cost in cash. I paid it (1,500) as a part of the 6 month total costs. You paid exactly the correct installation costs according to their 2011 price list.

I think I will risk going with Sophon.

It does not look like there is much difference in actual speeds of the various plans looking at the speed tests of various posters.

What would be the lowest speed that would allow good internet browsing of international websites? I rarely upload big files. I would like to keep my internet costs at a minimum.

I think I will risk going with Sophon.

It does not look like there is much difference in actual speeds of the various plans looking at the speed tests of various posters.

What would be the lowest speed that would allow good internet browsing of international websites? I rarely upload big files. I would like to keep my internet costs at a minimum.

If you don't need the premier service (only that one has an upload capacity of 1Mb) I'd suggest you go monthly and just pay for the modem. That way you can quickly change to a faster service if it is required.

"They were absolutely insistent on the modem not belonging to me and it having to be returned"

I'm sure they would want to have it back so they can sell it to the next customer down the line-- and they were using that tactic as an inducement to put the hook in your mouth for a full year -- but what's the point in being allowed to keep it? Unless you have some burning need for a high-tech door-stop or want to frame it as a conversation piece . . :)

"They were absolutely insistent on the modem not belonging to me and it having to be returned"

I'm sure they would want to have it back so they can sell it to the next customer down the line-- and they were using that tactic as an inducement to put the hook in your mouth for a full year -- but what's the point in being allowed to keep it? Unless you have some burning need for a high-tech door-stop or want to frame it as a conversation piece . . :)

It certainly doesn't make buisiness sense anyway you look at it. Selling using modems to new customers is ridiculous. I may be using a 2nd hand unit myself as it didn't come with a box.

I find it hard to believe that this LS unit is even worth 2,500... I remarked on that and the lady said they're worth 3,500. Talk about spinning bs...do they really think we are that stupid?

I checked with 3BB.

They currently offer free installation and modem. I believe you have to a sign 1 year contract. You pay month to month.

Also you get free telephone line; however, line is only good for internet.

The prices of 3BB and Sophon are comparable. The big difference is the installation and modem cost.

I checked with 3BB.

They currently offer free installation and modem. I believe you have to a sign 1 year contract. You pay month to month.

The prices of 3BB and Sophon are comparable. The big difference is the installation and modem cost.

To me the BIG difference is quality of connection and also customer support. Before I dropped 3BB I was down for 4 days and had their customer support telling me the problem was me or my computer no sign of an engineer. Strange then that when I changed over to Sophon everything worked instantly with no messing around.

I checked with 3BB.

To me the BIG difference is quality of connection and also customer support. Before I dropped 3BB I was down for 4 days and had their customer support telling me the problem was me or my computer no sign of an engineer. Strange then that when I changed over to Sophon everything worked instantly with no messing around.

My 3BB goes out about every 2 or 3 months. The problem is always with the telephone line. It think someone works on a pole the disconnects the system. Service restored in about 2 days. The quality is bad but I happy just to connect.

I checked with 3BB.

Yes, getting set up will cost you quite a bit more if you want to pay month to month. For that you will have far better customer service. You'll get people on the phone who do care about fixing your problem. I had a team over at my house about an hour after I called them.

If you pay a year in advance, which isn't very much on the cheaper standard plans your only installation cost is 750. Of course you will more than likely want to purchase a wireless router if you are using more than one computer. The cheapest cable broadband router is around 1900 baht, a bit more than the cheapest dsl wireless routers.

Don't forget that you have to sign up for a year with 3BB to get free installation and modem, so the difference is only 750 baht and if (or more likely when) you have problems you'll be glad you paid it.

Edited by tropo

Interesting thread, thanks.

I'm thinking of changing to Sophon broadband next month. My elderly gay German neighbour already has it, a 6 month contract at 8/0.5 Mbps for around 7000 Baht, including 1500 Baht for installation.

Several posters have said that paying monthly is more expensive but offers advantages, and I can see that it would be a good idea until I am happy with their service and ready to take out a contract. I see the 6 month and 12 month contract prices posted above, but does anyone have a list of the pay-as-you-go monthly prices rather than a fixed contract?

"does anyone have a list of the pay-as-you-go monthly prices"

Below is a link to pricing on Sophon's website. Imo you'd be better off taking the year contract - you'll get the Modem free and installation for 750 Baht.

In addition, a Router is strongly recommended. You can get a Belkin basic non-wireless router at It-City for around 1100 Baht. I think someone posted earlier about a wireless Router for 1900 or Sophon will sell you an ASUS wireless Router for 2500 Baht.

http://www.sophonbb.net/net/pad2.php

I'm thinking of changing to Sophon broadband next month. My elderly gay German neighbour already has it, a 6 month contract at 8/0.5 Mbps for around 7000 Baht, including 1500 Baht for installation.

Several posters have said that paying monthly is more expensive but offers advantages, and I can see that it would be a good idea until I am happy with their service and ready to take out a contract. I see the 6 month and 12 month contract prices posted above, but does anyone have a list of the pay-as-you-go monthly prices rather than a fixed contract?

Why are you calling him an "elderly, gay, German neighbour"? Why not just say "my neighbour"?

Edited by richsilver

Go back and read the scanned price list I offered earlier in this thread. That has all the monthy prices listed. They are the same as what you pay for 6 months and 12 months in advance. The ONLY advantage of paying up front is a free modem (which you have to give back) saving 2,500 and 750 reduction of installation fee if you pay 12 months in advance. It's not really a contract as you're paying up front. Bear in mind that no matter what plan you take, unless you want to be hard wired (LAN) to your computer you'll probably want to buy a wireless router for around 2000 - 2500. The ones in the shop are 2500 (Asus).

Why are you calling him an "elderly, gay, German neighbour"? Why not just say "my neighbour"?

Why are you wasting my time with silly posts?

"does anyone have a list of the pay-as-you-go monthly prices"

Below is a link to pricing on Sophon's website. Imo you'd be better off taking the year contract - you'll get the Modem free and installation for 750 Baht.

In addition, a Router is strongly recommended. You can get a Belkin basic non-wireless router at It-City for around 1100 Baht. I think someone posted earlier about a wireless Router for 1900 or Sophon will sell you an ASUS wireless Router for 2500 Baht.

http://www.sophonbb.net/net/pad2.php

Thanks