Snoh Joins Hands With Pheu Thai

webfact

Snoh joins hands with Pheu Thai

By PRAPAN CHINDALERTUDOMDEE

THE NATION

30152357-01.jpg

Pracharaj Party leader Snoh Thienthong has done an about-turn, reconciling with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra by forming an alliance with the Pheu Thai Party for the upcoming general election.

Snoh, however, stopped short of answering the crucial question of whether he would allow a Pheu Thai-Pracharaj merger. It also remains unclear whether he will adopt Pheu Thai's banner for the election race.

Disillusioned with Thaksin's leadership, he resigned from the then-ruling Thai Rak Thai party in February 2006 before joining the anti-Thaksin camp. He formed Pracharaj to contest the 2007 general election.

"I am thinking about my retirement after 38 years in politics, but the country is still in turmoil and I want to volunteer my services to rectify the political situation," he said yesterday. He was speaking to well-wishers lining up to wish him happy birthday at his house in the Alpine housing estate.

Key Pheu Thai figures, including Deputy House Speaker Apiwan Wiriyachai, were present.

In the evening, Thaksin himself made a phone-in to greet the birthday boy.

In justifying his reconciliation with Thaksin, the Pracharaj leader said that he could not stand by idly while the country plunged into turmoil, and that he believed Pheu Thai would be the winning party.

He recounted his role as kingmaker to help install a number of prime ministers, including Thaksin.

He said he was undecided on Pracharaj's future after his alliance with Pheu Thai.

Pracharaj should have been a major party but failed because of political backstabbing at the last general election, he said.

He did not name the party that betrayed him. He attributed political difficulties over provisions in the current Constitution, which was designed as the "antidote" to the suspended 1997 charter.

After the last general election, it was unfortunate that two prime ministers, Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat, were ousted from power by judicial decisions, he said.

Despite Snoh's opposition, Thaksin installed his brother-in-law Somchai as Samak's successor, which brought about the disbanding of the People Power Party, he said, outlining how the Democrats came to power.

He blamed the Democrat Party for causing the turmoil by installing Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, seen as an inexperienced leader.

He said it was unfortunate |that Abhisit refused to heed his advice to wait and develop political maturity before accepting the |top job.

To overcome the turmoil, he said he would act as a broker to persuade small parties to unite and rally behind Pheu Thai.

"I think the problem could be solved by having heart-to-heart talks with no more 20 individuals," he said.

Commenting on speculation about Pheu Thai leader, he said the priority was the search for a candidate for the position of prime minister.

He said Pheu Thai had good potential and could win the poll by a landslide.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-02

a ministerial post in his pocket?

he missed it with democrats, so changed the side.

no political principles, just will follow, whoever gives him more

He has changed sides more times that I have had sunday dinners....A great pic of political dinosaurs...says it all

A picture of old style the Thai political elite. Now what are the reds campaigning to change and why are they linked to these dinosaurs?

Listen to Snoh talk about how only old people can solve the mess and then listen to the ordinary person who thinks the only hope of getting out of the mess the old ones have created is hoping the young will be better in the future.

It is sad really.

As the article reads, he was betrayed at the last election so he believes he has no other option?

"I am thinking about my retirement after 38 years in politics, but the country is still in turmoil and I want to volunteer my services to rectify the political situation," he said yesterday.

He blamed the Democrat Party for causing the turmoil by installing Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, seen as an inexperienced leader.

He said it was unfortunate |that Abhisit refused to heed his advice to wait and develop political maturity before accepting the |top job.

Maybe if these old politicians would get out of the way of the younger, "inexperienced" politicians, the country could move forward and their would be no political turmoil.

As the article reads, he was betrayed at the last election so he believes he has no other option?

As the article reads, he was ex-TRT, he opposed Samak and Somchai and he didn't get into the PPP led government. So he goes back to them??

Seems Thaksin is, yet again, buying up the small parties BEFORE the election to create a bandwagon effect. This is all TRT was, nothing but pre-purchased small parties, masquerading as 'factions' within one large party, rather than buying your coalition after the election. As the man said, "Follow the money."

He has changed sides more times that I have had sunday dinners....A great pic of political dinosaurs...says it all

A aging pop group:

Swamp Thing and The Botton Feeders

Shouldn't this read?

'Snoh intertwines tentacles with Pheu Thai'

Edited by animatic

A picture of old style the Thai political elite. Now what are the reds campaigning to change and why are they linked to these dinosaurs?

Listen to Snoh talk about how only old people can solve the mess and then listen to the ordinary person who thinks the only hope of getting out of the mess the old ones have created is hoping the young will be better in the future.

It is sad really.

It is patently clear the old school players have not gone quietly into the good night, and are trying desperately for one more face saving grand hurrah. AND MORE THAN CLEAR THAT THEY HAVE CREATED THE CURRENT UNACCEPTABLE SITUATION...

Be damned the little people and their wants and needs,

these Masters Of The Universe know best.

Edited by animatic

It is sad really.

It is patently clear the old school players have not gone quietly into the good night, and are trying desperately for one more face saving grand hurrah. AND MORE THAN CLEAR THAT THEY HAVE CREATED THE CURRENT UNACCEPTABLE SITUATION...

Wait until the grand unfettering of the first tranche of the banned next year. Should be a scream.

It is sad really.

Wait until the grand unfettering of the first tranche of the banned next year. Should be a scream.

Oh yeah, my colon spasms & twists in anticipation....

Seems Thaksin is, yet again, buying up the small parties BEFORE the election to create a bandwagon effect. This is all TRT was, nothing but pre-purchased small parties, masquerading as 'factions' within one large party, rather than buying your coalition after the election. As the man said, "Follow the money."

So you're now finally admitting that Abhisit's coalition was bought for him by the Amataya and the military and Abhisit is and always has been an installed P.M.

So you're now finally admitting that Abhisit's coalition was bought for him by the Amataya and the military and Abhisit is and always has been an installed P.M.

No I am not.

And certainly less 'installed' than Somchai was....

Somchai was forced on PTP and the country by one man; Thaksin.

At least Abhisit was a global choice for the job by many.

Excluding the opposition of course.

But in hard non-partison reality there is not a minority government on the planet, in any country, that didn't put its coalition together by serious horse trading. In Thailand they seem to put it as much cash on the tabel as positions with control of the financial taps. But usually this was after it became clear a win was had by neither largest party. Thaksin was the first to buy his team before an election to assure a win. Buy, blackmail and entice like a donkey with a carrot all seem to fit the picture.

Do I think the last round was much more squeaky clean than now or before?" No, but it was legal and done as Thailand does it. And I don't think Abhisit was the ones doing the behind the scenes dealing. I don't try and pretend that western mores can be applied here, like you attempt. Of course it is kettle calling the kettle black.

Edited by animatic

Please quote where he said that. He clearly was talking about the bought-up-coalition that made up the brute of TRTs MPs in 2001. Offering ministerial positions after an election to members of other parties isn't illegal nor immoral.

Edited by TAWP

There was more to TRT than that though. Old school dealing and MP buying was part of it, but doesn't wholly explain the TRT phenomenom. But then I think you knew that...

There was more to TRT than that though. Old school dealing and MP buying was part of it, but doesn't wholly explain the TRT phenomenom. But then I think you knew that...

Yes, they found an under used, target demographic to cynically control and milk for their power.

But the main differences are the pre-positioning through massive control and patronage fixes for the control elements to do that, and the willingness to actually try and maintain control of that population segment through an extended subterfuge of Machiavellian proportions. It's never been more than a large unwieldy tool to an end, even if it is comprised of real human beings striving for their own ends. As Thaksin said bluntly "Democracy is not my aim." He used democratic political machinery for creating and taking a power block, not democracy as an end result as controlling factor to using power.

Edited by animatic

Global choice?

He has had several chances to win a general election and failed. Even when the Junta were suppressing PPP activities and inventing charges he still failed to win a general election!

He is certainly not the peoples' choice even with the odds stacked overwhelmingly in his favour!

As the article reads, he was ex-TRT, he opposed Samak and Somchai and he didn't get into the PPP led government. So he goes back to them??

Those that have been predicting a Pheua Thai victory, by whatever means are now sitting very smug and comfortably. Yes hes a dinosaur but whats he bringing to the table... It just goes to prove who is the most powerful man in Thai politics(except for one generaal) Democrats will p1ss the next election :cheesy:

Global choice?

He has had several chances to win a general election and failed. Even when the Junta were suppressing PPP activities and inventing charges he still failed to win a general election!

He is certainly not the peoples' choice even with the odds stacked overwhelmingly in his favour!

Why not use the WHOLE QUOTE rather than cherry pick the part you want?

Excluding the opposition of course.

The way forum rules state you must not quote of of context,

and also should use ellipse ... it shows you edited something out.

Which you did.

Oh, oh, and show us all when and where Somchai won his PM seat as leader of the party in said election. Abhisit at least ran to a close 2nd largest minority party as the party head and Candidate for PM, and wasn't appointed SOLELY by the absconded powerbroker owner of the party from abroad.

Nor over the head of the man who should, by voters 1st choice, had 1st refusal to the seat, after he was temporarily out for an infraction; Samak.

Edited by animatic

38 years in Thai politics.

So can anybody share a few examples of:

- Snoh making very valuable contributions to the development of Thailand?

- Snoh making a presentation or speech which includes deep insights into the development of a civil society which could be valubale in terms of building long term overriding development policy?

I believe the answer is none.

snoh was one of the primary people involved in stealing a massive amount of temple land, he knew very well that this was both illegal and highly immoral and still has no remorse, and only avoided criminal prosecuton because of the statute of limitations.

I remember many years back he became the Minister for Transport. His first action was to officially, massively, raise the axle load limits for large trucks. Quess who, at that time, owned the biggest trucking company in Thailand? It's a 4 letter word, starts with 's' and ends with 'h'.

Edited by scorecard

Please quote where he said that. He clearly was talking about the bought-up-coalition that made up the brute of TRTs MPs in 2001. Offering ministerial positions after an election to members of other parties isn't illegal nor immoral.

No he's not.

Yes, they found an under used, target demographic to cynically control and milk for their power.

But the main differences are the pre-positioning through massive control and patronage fixes for the control elements to do that, and the willingness to actually try and maintain control of that population segment through an extended subterfuge of Machiavellian proportions. It's never been more than a large unwieldy tool to an end, even if it is comprised of real human beings striving for their own ends. As Thaksin said bluntly "Democracy is not my aim." He used democratic political machinery for creating and taking a power block, not democracy as an end result as controlling factor to using power.

Animatic,

The 40 MPs (friends of Newin) who have kept Abhisit in power were bought after the election. You have always argued that Abhisit wasn't installed now you're admitting that he was.

Edited by termad

Animatic,

The 40 MPs (friends of Newin) who have kept Abhisit in power were bought after the election. You have always argued that Abhisit wasn't installed now you're admitting that he was.

Please state your sources of this 'fact'.

Animatic,

Or where Animatic said that ......

The fun part of the post was (the OP)

"I am thinking about my retirement after 38 years in politics, but the country is still in turmoil and I want to volunteer my services to rectify the political situation," he said yesterday. He was speaking to well-wishers lining up to wish him happy birthday at his house in the Alpine housing estate.
That he was just acquitted of charges on ....

Animatic,

Bought or horse traded for rotation in the ministries?

The only thing I specifically saw change hands was coffee and roses.

A bit of a difference,

since horse trading is S.O.P. in most governments with largest minority party leadership. Such as UK at present, Canada just lost a horse traded coalition, and seems headed for another Israel etc etc.

As to past Thai governments buying allegiances after elections; well how many have there been to tote up? Certainly we can't stop the count at the most recent one, and ONLY the most recent one. There were dozens the last few years and what is the prevailing theories on how those minority governments cobbled their power blocks together.

As I remember many of the old dinosaurs who are presently selling their souls at the moment, banned or not, were in similar governments wheeled and dealed into existence, yet you focus just on Abhisits most recent one.

How monomaniacally obsessive! Oh, wait, obsessive, it's an election year, how could anyone be obsessive? Checks in the mail.

Edited by animatic

Animatic,

Or where Animatic said that ......

The fun part of the post was (the OP)

That he was just acquitted of charges on ....

He wasn't acquitted, the 20 year statute of limitations ran out, in no part due to Purachai's timidity when Minister of the Interior, afraid of upsetting his boss, Thaksin.

I remember the 'people's' constitution of 1997,now so beloved by the red shirts, and the green flag campaign to support it.

Guess who opposed it tooth and nail, claiming it limited the rights of politicians? Yes, Mr Sanoh, and if I remember rightly, Chavalit too, the dinosaurs.

Sanoh once said Thaksin's greed was insatiable, and Thaksin was incapable of working with others.

I hope the journalists keep reminding him of his words.

By the way, Chalerm's sulking has paid off, now his son, Wan, will run in the next election in west Bangkok.

Pheua Thai really are low quality.