G Mail

khall64au

I just spent half an hour writing an email on Google Mail (the latest, greatest?) and when I pressed SEND ... I received a message that G mail was unavailable and lost my message :o

How many times do I need to switch email accounts to avoid losing my mails? Is there not ONE provider that can sustain a reliable email account?

GMail supports POP... you can configure Outlook Express (or any email client) to access the account. This way you can type the message in the client - even offline- and send when you are ready. The big benefit is that the message is saved in your client if there is no service, you get disconnected, power failure, etc.

i would like to be able to use g.mail in outlook express , however o.e.just seems too complicated. i dare not touch it in case it takes over my system and i lose my e mails. !!

is it possible to have oe check other e mail accounts all at once so that i dont have to log into g.mail , then hotmail and then my wife has to log into yahoo.

what exactly is pop , and how do i get outlook express to deal with my g.mail and other accounts. also , what is "client".

i dont wish to hijack khalls. thread here but thanks for any help.

Edited by taxexile

I use Thunderbird from Mozilla to read my gmail --a client is any program that will retrieve and send your mail for you. And I have had this problem with all the major free email providers, sometimes, when my connection has been too slow it times out and there goes my email.

i would like to be able to use g.mail in outlook express , however o.e.just seems too complicated. i dare not touch it in case it takes over my system and i lose my e mails. !!

is it possible to have oe check other e mail accounts all at once so that i dont have to log into g.mail , then hotmail and then my wife has to log into yahoo.

what exactly is pop , and how do i get outlook express to deal with my g.mail and other accounts.  also ,  what is "client".

i dont wish to hijack khalls. thread here but thanks for any help.

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276

tax / khall...

The link sent by britmaveric was comprehensive... should have sorted you out with google.

You can set up the same for hotmail and yahoo, but they want $$ for POP access.

I pay yahoo $20 per year for this. As an extra you get a huge yahoo mailbox (2GB), and better spam protection. Don't know what hotmail charges.... probably similar.

All tolled, I check 8 email addesses (personal. business, websites) daily with only one click. Once OE is configured, it will step through each one and check them all. You can set one email address as default for sending, but are able to choose from all if you want. Also, when replying to an email, OE will automatically choose the account which recieved the email.

Great time saver.

Hope this helps.