Israel Urges Un To Cancel Goldstone Report On Gaza

News_Editor

Israel urges UN to cancel Goldstone report on Gaza‎

2011-04-03 02:33:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) -- Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Saturday called on the United Nations to "immediately cancel" the Goldstone Report on the Gaza conflict.

"Everything we said has proven to be true: Israel did not intentionally harm civilians, its institutions and investigative bodies are worthy, while Hamas intentionally fired upon innocent civilians and did not examine anything," Netanyahu said in a statement.

Richard Goldstone, who headed the United Nations panel that reported on Israel's conflict with Hamas that ended in 2009, wrote in the Washington Post on Friday that he was reconsidering his findings.

"We know a lot more today about what happened in the Gaza war of 2008-09 than we did when I chaired the fact-finding mission appointed by the U.N. Human Rights Council that produced what has come to be known as the Goldstone Report," Goldstone wrote.

"If I had known then what I know now, the Goldstone Report would have been a different document," he added.

The report initially found evidence of potential war crimes by both Israel and Hamas. Goldstein, however, noted in his recent article that Israel did not intentionally target civilians during the operation.

"The fact that Goldstone backtracked must lead to the shelving of this report once and for all," Netanyahu said.

Israel didn't cooperate with the Goldstone Mission - based on a UN Human Rights Council mandate - since it said it was politically motivated. The South African judge regretted Israel's lack of cooperation since the mission was not able to corroborate how many Gazans killed were civilians and how many were combatants.

The Gaza War was a three-week armed conflict during the winter of 2008–2009 in which more Palestinians were killed than Israelis. According to international organizations, more than 1,000 Palestinians were killed.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-03

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch how the UN won't cancel the report. Because the UN doesn't really care about fairness and objectivity in relation to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Perhaps folks would like to read the actual document rather than opinions on what is fair?

Then they can decide for themselves.

executive summary pdf

A-HRC-12-48_ADVANCE1.pdf

further info also available for download

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/specialsession/9/factfindingmission.htm

Edited by flying

Why waste your time reading a document that has now been discredited by it's very namesake, Mr. Goldstone?

That is your prerogative & instead you may continue to accept the opinions of sites like the one you linked.

Others may choose to examine the Methodology used

To implement its mandate, the Mission determined that it was required to consider any

actions by all parties that might have constituted violations of international human rights law or

international humanitarian law. The mandate also required it to review related actions in the

entire Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel.

With regard to temporal scope, the Mission decided to focus primarily on events, actions or

circumstances occurring since 19 June 2008, when a ceasefire was agreed between the

Government of Israel and Hamas. The Mission has also taken into consideration matters

occurring after the end of military operations that constitute continuing human rights and

international humanitarian law violations related to or as a consequence of the military

operations, up to 31 July 2009.

Plus much more on the mission to investigate. Also a list of times & events that were clearly documented.

Again.........not for you as you have your opinion formulated but for those who choose to read the actual documentation.

Lastly I know nothing of Goldstone discrediting the report & when googled mainly see topics about failure to discredit.

As such I chose to read the actual document & will not comment on it here. Instead leaving others to read it without any opinion from me. After all who am I ?....Or you for that matter?

This is BIG and very recent news. Goldstone has indeed discredited the report. So you want to cling to OLD info based on BAD info, now discredited by Goldstone. Why?

"We know a lot more today about what happened in the Gaza war of 2008-09 than we did when I chaired the fact-finding mission appointed by the UN Human Rights Council that produced what has come to be known as the Goldstone Report," Goldstone wrote, adding: "If I had known then what I know now, the Goldstone Report would have been a different document."

The former South African jurist said that while "Israeli evidence that has emerged since publication of our report doesn’t negate the tragic loss of civilian life, I regret that our fact-finding mission did not have such evidence explaining the circumstances in which we said civilians in Gaza were targeted, because it probably would have influenced our findings about intentionality and war crimes."

While Israel has shown to probe itself "to a significant degree" over Gaza war actions, Goldstone wrote, Hamas, who has been in control of the coastal enclave since 2007, "has done nothing."

The former jurist also criticizes the UN Human Rights Council's anti-Israel bias, saying that he had hoped that the report could "begin a new era of evenhandedness at the UN Human Rights Council, whose history of bias against Israel cannot be doubted."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/goldstone-claims-of-israel-s-gaza-war-crimes-should-be-reconsidered-1.353630

I realize Israel bashers are going to be going into withdrawal symptoms and possibly severe depression now that their "Goldstone standard" document of Israel demonization has been discredited by it's namesake. But deal with it, please. I am sure you can always find new sources for your agenda, perhaps a Hamas website?

Edited by Jingthing

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/goldstone-claims-of-israel-s-gaza-war-crimes-should-be-reconsidered-1.353630

I realize Israel bashers are going to be going into withdrawal symptoms and possibly severe depression now that their "Goldstone standard" document of Israel demonization has been discredited by it's namesake. But deal with it, please. I am sure you can always find new sources for your agenda, perhaps a Hamas website?

Yes as I said...your prerogative

But as for agendas it seems it is you that have one.

I only linked the actual document for those who would like to read it & never offered an opinion on its contents.

I do not fly a Palestinian nor a Israeli flag/symbol on my profile page...As I am not tied to either side in any way.

How about you?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/37101-jingthing/

Hey I see you have me listed as a friend? Thanks for the compliment even though I dont know you. :blink:

Also I am sure the site you link is a fine site but it obviously does also have an agenda. That Jewish singles section looks interesting too ;)

Lastly you said

Because the UN doesn't really care about fairness and objectivity in relation to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

So I assume you also feel the same about Obama's invasion of Libya since it was also supposedly backed by the fairness & objectivity of the UN

Lets leave this topic to others to decide for themselves eh?

They can read the document freely or accept your opinion on it.

Edited by flying

Though welcome, why actually stop at the Goldstone report. Everything the UNHCR has done reeks of the most obvious bias against Israel to the extent that the previous U.S government boycotted it. So the hate and propaganda apparatus set up within the UN has rightly resulted in repeated U.S vetos of biased motions against Israel, which has resulted in hatred of the U.S by liberals and their friends the Islamofascists.

These are Goldstones words ;

The former jurist also criticizes the UN Human Rights Council's anti-Israel bias, saying that he had hoped that the report could "begin a new era of evenhandedness at the UN Human Rights Council, whose history of bias against Israel cannot be doubted."

He happens to be Jewish and these are words that suggest that he has always been aware of Anti-Israeli bias at the UN. It all smells to me but what do I know. such a strange turn around.

He happens to be Jewish and these are words that suggest that he has always been aware of Anti-Israeli bias at the UN. It all smells to me but what do I know. such a strange turn around.

Perhaps it should not be viewed in isolation. Recently a U.N motion sanctioned a human rights raporteur to examine Iran's failure to follow the Universal human rights declaration, also the UNHCR very recently moved to prevent blasphemy arguments being used to prevent criticism of Islamic nations human rights legislation. I'll admit that if the inherent bias withing the U.N was eliminated it would be harder for Israel to ignore it's motions and for the U.S to veto them but it could also hopefully be a sign that moderate Muslims are attempting to take on their extremist brethren in a more overt manner.

Perhaps it should not be viewed in isolation. Recently a U.N motion sanctioned a human rights raporteur to examine Iran's failure to follow the Universal human rights declaration, also the UNHCR very recently moved to prevent blasphemy arguments being used to prevent criticism of Islamic nations human rights legislation. I'll admit that if the inherent bias withing the U.N was eliminated it would be harder for Israel to ignore it's motions and for the U.S to veto them but it could also hopefully be a sign that moderate Muslims are attempting to take on their extremist brethren in a more overt manner.

As far as I can determine and it is not crystal clear, Goldstone made his unusual reversal based up on Israel having conducted investigations into war crime allegations made in the original report. Hamas apparently made no investigation into allegations against their side. Both sides were alleged to have committed these crimes. Now the reversal is made due to what would have to be clearly biased findings. Expecting an Israeli or Hamas investigation to be unbiased is just plain stupid IMO.

Then, he follows with a claim of a UN history of anti-Israel bias. This all just makes little or no sense to me. Why didn't he consider the anti-Israeli bias in the original report? It all reads at this point like a scam. It may be legit, but from where I sit, it smells. This apparent bias has a long history the way it reads. Why the sudden revelation? All kidding aside, from the way it reads, pictures of somebody having sex with farm animals may have mysteriously appeared.

People can and do change their minds due to their own honest reappraisal of what's gone before based on new evidence. Christopher Hitchens for example was a fixture of left wing publications in his early career but he started to see a danger in the west's appeasement of militant Islam following the fatwa put out on Salman Rushdie. Perhaps there is no convoluted conspiracy involving the Mossad and farm animal pictures but merely the cognitive dissonance caused by believing simultaneously that Israel was guilty of targetting civilians in tandem with numerous films of Hamas using human shields could no longer be maintained.

To be fair Israel always claimed the report was flawed and inconsistent. NOW the author himself confirmed it was so and hence i really can not see any reasonable reason why report should not be canceled.

UN can always send out another mission or perhaps re evaluate the facts to make a new report.

This is how legal system works worldwide.

One important fact to note, Israel did do its own investigation(bias or nor bias) is not the question. Hamas did nothing, never did anything and continues in the same fashion year after year

Then, he follows with a claim of a UN history of anti-Israel bias. This all just makes little or no sense to me. Why didn't he consider the anti-Israeli bias in the original report? It all reads at this point like a scam. It may be legit, but from where I sit, it smells. This apparent bias has a long history the way it reads. Why the sudden revelation? All kidding aside, from the way it reads, pictures of somebody having sex with farm animals may have mysteriously appeared.

So predictable that it's hilariously pitiful. The Israel demonizers loved the Jewish man Goldstone (which I emphasize because they would often highlight his status as a Jew as some kind of extra bonus point for the propaganda power of the report) when his report supported their agenda. Now that the Jewish man Goldstone has discredited his own report based on new evidence he didn't have before, suddenly there's some kind of scam, some kind of sex crimes he wants covered up.

Decide for yourself, sure, but please IGNORE such trash talk about animal sex!

Edited by Jingthing

As far as I can determine and it is not crystal clear, Goldstone made his unusual reversal based up on Israel having conducted investigations into war crime allegations made in the original report. Hamas apparently made no investigation into allegations against their side. Both sides were alleged to have committed these crimes. Now the reversal is made due to what would have to be clearly biased findings. Expecting an Israeli or Hamas investigation to be unbiased is just plain stupid IMO.

I'm struggling with the 'UN anti Israel bias',from what I read the UN accepted Israel's investigations into their own actions as proof of their innocence.

So predictable that it's hilariously pitiful. The Israel demonizers loved the Jewish man Goldstone when his report supported their agenda. Now that the Jewish man Goldstone has discredited his own report based on new evidence he didn't have before, suddenly there's some kind of scam, some kind of sex crimes he wants covered up.

Jing, no matter what Israel is always bad. I am sure evidence was there all along, he just ignored it.

Its simply not even worth arguing about because Israel can never be right or a victim with some people.

Hamas does wrong, they blame Israel

Hamas brakes truce, they blame Israel

Reports show Israel to be bad, they praise Hamas

Reports show Israel to be good, they blame Israel

Dog goes toilet on the car, they blame Israel.

Not much has changed in the past 5000 years for Jewish people, the only difference now is Jewish people have a strong state so its harder to push them and move them around.

Edited by kuffki

Some background info on the long pattern of UN bias against Israel.

The very idea of the UN Council conducting an "independent" or objective investigation of Israel is preposterous. It would be as if an all white Mississippi court were investigating a black man's self-defense in response to years of lynchings by whites and limiting its investigation to the event following the lynchings. There is simply no way of an investigation conducted under the auspices of the UN Human Rights Council and be fair. Its history of bias and bigotry should not be legitimated by men and women of decency who care about real human rights.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershowitz/the-united-nations-kangar_b_223424.html

I'm struggling with the 'UN anti Israel bias',from what I read the UN accepted Israel's investigations into their own actions as proof of their innocence.

All quiet on this one.Come on let's hear it.

So predictable that it's hilariously pitiful. The Israel demonizers loved the Jewish man Goldstone (which I emphasize because they would often highlight his status as a Jew as some kind of extra bonus point for the propaganda power of the report) when his report supported their agenda. Now that the Jewish man Goldstone has discredited his own report based on new evidence he didn't have before, suddenly there's some kind of scam, some kind of sex crimes he wants covered up.

My apologies JT, but it still smells a bit to me. Why the initial finding knowing that the anti-Israeli bias existed within the UN? What would compel him to take the job, publish his findings and then turn dramatically? I can see reopening the case based upon new evidence but not going public with his personal view based upon only an Israeli internal investigation. It opens him up for criticism. Whether anyone likes it or not, Goldstone has a dog in the fight. I am quite certain he is aware he has a dog in the fight and must remain above criticism in such matters.

Edited by Pakboong

The column that has become this big news --

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/reconsidering-the-goldstone-report-on-israel-and-war-crimes/2011/04/01/AFg111JC_story.html

Whether anyone likes it or not, Goldstone has a dog in the fight.

Please leave Mr. Goldstone's South African nationality out of this and go bark up another tree. Bow ... Wow.

Edited by Jingthing

interesting the the NY Times refused Goldstone's request for space to state his position.

It seems that the NYT is going to have egg on its face again as it had rushed to condemn Israel on the basis of the original report.

Can you say oooopsie.

The column that has become this big news --

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/reconsidering-the-goldstone-report-on-israel-and-war-crimes/2011/04/01/AFg111JC_story.html

Whether anyone likes it or not, Goldstone has a dog in the fight.

Please leave Mr. Goldstone's South African nationality out of this and go bark up another tree. Bow ... Wow.

We will just have to disagree. I understand your point but do not agree that his ethnicity doesn't have a play in the minds of the 1.5 billion muslims. Not to mention countless anti-semites. Perception will always be reality. If the job had been done correctly in the first place, there would still be the perception of bias by the Arab world. Why wave the red flag unnecessarily? it would be even more serious to have appointed an Arab to lead the inquiry for the same reasons. Where the Arab happens to call home does not really matter.

In the press release, it is not clear if Goldstone is admitting to an Anti-Israel bias personally or admitting his committee has an anti-Israeli bias. Either way, he is honor bound to excuse himself in favor of an unbiased approach. Was he trying to correct the bias by finding in favor of the Palestinians? That doesn't compute. There simply seems to be pieces of the puzzle missing.

Edited by Pakboong

:whistling: Whilst casting aspertions as to the credibility of Israel carrying out it's own investigation into Goldstone's allegations it must be remembered that Hamas never carried out any investigation whatsoever. I wonder why?

http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/arab-woman-to-hamas-shame-on-you-you-are-much-worse-than-the-jews/

It is likely IMO that Hamas conducted themselves in a barbaric manner and deserved the accusations levied against them.

Their apparent lack of sophistication allowed them to believe that they had won this one and did not need follow up on the Goldstone recommendations.

The fact that they did not act is apparently part of the new conclusion arrived at by Goldstone.

Here is commentary from the UK's daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8426405/Goldstones-mea-culpa-has-come-too-late.html

Goldstone’s mea culpa should be welcomed for its better-late-than-never candor, but the damage his notorious report has caused Israel on the world stage cannot be exaggerated. For two years, this document has served as a byword for rogue statehood, a cudgel taken up not only by rabid anti-Zionists but by seemingly dispassionate observers of human rights and international law to further Israel’s de-legitimisation.

Watch how the UN won't cancel the report. Because the UN doesn't really care about fairness and objectivity in relation to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Absolutely hilarious Jinthing - backing up your clear authoritarian credential by attaching a link to the subject matter in.... Wait for it folks...!!!! an Israeli Jewish newspaper......! How utterly broad of you! That's really funny. Honestly. Look mate, there's an expression that goes "if you need to ask the question, you probably won't understand the answer". Sorry old chap, I'm only trying yo help you.

Actually, out of curiosity, on the newspaper's web site, I chose to randomly open a section from the front page. The one I was drawn to was entitled Jewish World. There were about half a dozen stories in it. The first four listed as: (1) MI5 believed Jewish underground wanted to assassinate Winston Churchill (2) Some Nazi called Adolf and the holocaust. (3) Romanians and the holocaust (4) Nazis and the missing synagogue.... hmmm.

Now then, Now then, Now then, (as the old white haired pervert Jimmy Saville used to say as he eyed up the young boys), is a picture starting to slowly form yet Jinngy?

The Haaretz article (Haaretz is a very LEFT WING Israeli newspaper which features many columnists who are extremely critical of the Israeli government) obviously directly refers to the now world famous column of Mr. Goldstone in the Washington Post. Is the Washington Post good enough for you? The rest of the above post is just inflammatory trash talk, not worth dignifying any further response to it. I do hope the mods don't delete it though as it speaks volumes about the mentality of that poster.

BTW, can anyone please point us to a Gaza based newspaper that is critical of the Hamas radical Islamic fundamentalist government of Gaza? Not holding my breath.

Edited by Jingthing

Now then, Now then, Now then, (as the old white haired pervert Jimmy Saville used to say as he eyed up the young boys), is a picture starting to slowly form yet Jinngy?

Were you there when Somerville allegedly said this? An active participant?As you are a Pattaya devotee, I don't think you should really be pointing fingers at perverts.

Edited by geriatrickid

Interesting reaction to the Goldstone column from J street, the famous left wing Jewish American lobby representing Jewish Americans who are highly critical of many Israeli government policies --

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/j-street-lauds-goldstone-for-retracting-claims-of-israel-s-gaza-war-crimes-1.354066

"We share Judge Goldstone’s belief that Israel deserves credit from the international community for launching these investigations and further that Hamas should be strongly condemned for its failure to address the charges against it in any way. We hope Israel will vigorously pursue and complete the inquiries it has begun and that it will do so in an open and public way," Ben-Ami added.

Left wing in the Israeli issue context generally means anti-settlement, typically favoring the 1967 borders. It doesn't mean left wing in the Euro lefty sense that Israel doesn't deserve to exist as a Jewish state at all.

BTW, is there a Palestinian US lobbying group representing Palestinian Americans who are highly critical of many of the policies of the two Palestinians governments?

Edited by Jingthing