Thailand's Ban On Cigarette Displays Kicks Off

george

Thailand's ban on cigarette displays kicks off

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry's ban on cigarette displays at points of sale is being enforced from Saturday and shop owners face a maximum fine of 200,000 baht if they display tobacco products or make them visible to the eye.

About 500,000 cigarette retailers and wholesalers nationwide have been ordered not to display cigarette at points of sale and the new ban, imposed under the 1992 Tobacco Control Act, allows shopowners to place a label which reads "Cigarettes for sale here" in Thai.

Officials from the Public Health Ministry and related agencies having a concern in the matter will inspect shops selling cigarettes throughout the country.

Penalties are in three stages: first-time violators will be warned verbally, while a second- or repeat violation or otherwise non-compliant behaviour will result in a written warning.

A maximum fine of Bt 200,000 (US$ 5,000) can be imposed for a third violation.

First evaluation of the ban will take place one month after its enforcement, with a follow-up in three months.

Dr. Narong Sahametapat, Deputy Director General of the ministry's Disease Control Department, said the ban would help reduce the number of youths who want to start the habit.

He said a study conducted by the World Bank, which was released to the public recently, found that about 80,000-100,000 youths throughout the world tried starting smoking daily.

--TNA 2005-09-24

About 500,000 cigarette retailers and wholesalers nationwide have been ordered not to display cigarette at points of sale and the new ban, imposed under the 1992 Tobacco Control Act, allows shopowners to place a label which reads "Cigarettes for sale here" in Thai.

Indeed. This morning the Family Mart, downstair my condo, put this "label" on where they store the cigarettes.

Actually, a big white cover. I must say that they have added an english sign "Cigarettes sold here".

Another ridiculous "cachez ce sein que je ne saurai voir" policy ("hide this breast that I shall not see").

Cigarette sellers to be given one last chance

Warnings first for display ban violators

BANGKOK: -- Cigarette sellers will have one last chance to abide by the government's ban on displaying cigarettes at sales points. The Public Health Ministry will give warnings for first violations of the ban before imposing fines of up to 200,000 baht on offenders.

The enforcement of the ban began yesterday, when many shops in Bangkok and upcountry reportedly complied with it by not displaying cigarette products on shelves.

Under the ban, shops are not allowed to display cigarette products before customers, but can put up notices stating that they have cigarette products on sale.

Public Health Minister Suchai Chareonratanakul said cigarettes have caused serious problems for public health and the economy, so the ministry has tried to seek ways to reduce the impact of smoking.

According to the ministry, about 10 million Thais smoke, and around 200,000 youngsters aged between 14 and 18 become new smokers each year.

The ministry earlier implemented measures including a ban on the sale of cigarette products to youngsters and the printing of pictures designed to discourage smokers on cigarette packets.

``As we all know, cigarettes have affected the health of both smokers and people around them. So the best solution is to reduce smoking.

``We have put some progressive measures in place, and the display ban is the latest of these,'' said Dr Suchai.

Narong Sahamethapattana, deputy chief of the Disease Control Department, said the display ban will particularly help to discourage new smokers.

Dr Narong, who led a team of doctors to inspect the progress of the ban in Nonthaburi yesterday, said the ministry would assess the success of the ban in one month.

--Bangkok Post 2005-09-25

Indeed. This morning the Family Mart, downstair my condo, put this "label" on where they store the cigarettes.

Actually, a big white cover. I must say that they have added an english sign "Cigarettes sold here".

Same here. Went to the mini-mart in my moo bahn and saw a sign in front of the case saying "We sale cigarettes", Thai and English. The owner asked me if the English was correct and I told her the difference between "sale" and "sell" and she had a good laugh saying she better change the sign quick.

The neighborhood 7-Eleven was in full compliance one day before the regulation went into effect; cigaret racks empty and all signs removed. Yesterday the racks had been completely reloaded. Can only speculate that they've been told there will be no enforcement in the area or the owner bought himself an insurance policy.

The neighborhood 7-Eleven was in full compliance one day before the regulation went into effect; cigaret racks empty and all signs removed. Yesterday the racks had been completely reloaded. Can only speculate that they've been told there will be no enforcement in the area or the owner bought himself an insurance policy.

hi...

the sooner they ban them worldwide... the better

gut i guess i shall have to put up with them ...well for the rest of my life...

amarka :o