Any Recommendations For Us Tax Lawyers In Bangkok

This topic will apply to anyone who is a US citizen. I was wondering if any of you can recommend a good tax lawyer or US tax lawyer in bangkok area. I need helping filing my taxes again. all i know is that I don't have to pay taxes since I did not earn over 91,000 dollars. but i still have to file

2555-EZ

and send to the us to file them. I look forward to anyones help or recommendations.

Do you want a LAWYER, or just a service to prepare your taxes? Accountants do the latter, and "expert" private citizens, too. See below and this list of "tax preparers" in Bangkok:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/taxinfo2010.pdf

Mac

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/federal-benefits-and-taxes.html

Taxes

There is no Internal Revenue Service (IRS) office at the Embassy. In past years, an IRS representative has visited the Embassy during the tax season in March-April. However, currently there is no plan for an IRS representative to come in 2010. If this changes, we will place an announcement on our Recent Public Announcements webpage.

Please see our Recent Public Announcements for current information regarding IRS visits.

For a list of private tax consultants and tax preparers in Bangkok, please click here.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/taxinfo2010.pdf

You can print all tax forms and publications from the IRS website at www.irs.gov.

According to the IRS website, you must express the amounts you report on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars. If you receive all or part of your income or pay some or all of your expenses in foreign currency, you must translate the foreign currency into U.S. dollars. Taxpayers generally use the yearly average exchange rate to report foreign-earned income that was received regularly throughout the year. However, if you had foreign transactions on specific days, you may also use the exchange rate for those days. Exchange rates can be found at www.oanda.com. Yearly average currency exchange rates for most countries can be found at Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates. For more information, please see the IRS website information for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad. http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97324,00.html

Hmmm...how about we move this over to the Business forum?

Also, you don't need a lawyer...just an accountant. Especially if your taxes are that easy. And you do have to pay taxes if you have any unearned income (interest, dividends, 1099s, etc.).

May I suggest you try Turbotax? It's free to start, and if only 1040EZ required, it's free! For sure no money due until you are ready to file. It's really easy and basically guides you through the entire process. I've been using it since the late 80's. Pop a beer and try it. You may be surprised.

Good luck!

"... all i know is that I don't have to pay taxes since I did not earn over 91,000 dollars. but i still have to file."

BTW, where'd that $91,000 figure come from? Wish I made "only," say, $90,000 and didn't have to file.

Mac

Yeah, I want to know the same thing..."only $91,000 and I still don't have to pay taxes"?? Back on subject, I used TurboTax for many years to figure my taxes for my sole-proprietor business in the US, up to 2009 filing, then I tried TaxAct for this years filing. Both are very simple, they walk you through everything step-by-step, provide the forms etc, and you don't pay until you are done and satisfied...ready to file. I recommend both.

mario299

first i didn't mean to shock anyone with the 91,000 dollars that amount comes under the IRS form 2555 EZ basically heres the deal which explains better than me

if you are a U.S. citizen working abroad, you may be able to minimize what you owe in U.S. income tax if you qualify for the foreign income exclusion. If you qualify, you may exclude up to $91,500 in foreign income from U.S. income tax liability in 2010

Also, only earned income--salaries, wages, and fringe benefits, plus allowances and expenses for housing--qualifies for the exclusion.

Dividends, interest, capital gains, pension or retirement distributions, and alimony do not qualify