Yes, I'm A Newbie!

Hi to everybody reading this forum. I forgot how I found this site, I think it was when my Thai gf asked me to find real estate webs for BBK. The site is very informative for a newbie farang like me. Anyhow, the BBK Radio is just great! :D I can't say that much for the OZ embassy in BBK. :o My Thai gf is a school teacher in Udornthani, and has very strong family ties there. She made two apps to come to Sydney on a tourist visa, but was rejected both times becoz the embassy considered her application not to be genuine. I asked a immigration solicitor about this, and she said that most of South East Asia was considered high risk for overstaying, but that the embassy can't say this outright. I find this rather WEIRD!!!!! :D Do you know of anyone who has experienced the same problem?

Edited by perijon

Hi to everybody reading this forum. I forgot how I found this site, I think it was when my Thai gf asked me to find real estate webs for BBK. The site is very informative for a newbie farang like me. Anyhow, the BBK Radio is just great!  :D I can't say that much for the OZ embassy in BBK. :o  My Thai gf is a school teacher in Udornthani, and has very strong family ties there. She made two apps to come to Sydney on a tourist visa, but was rejected both times becoz the embassy considered her application not to be genuine. I asked a immigration solicitor about this, and she said that most of South East Asia was considered high risk for overstaying, but that the embassy can't say this outright. I find this rather WEIRD!!!!!  :D Do you know of anyone who has experienced the same problem?

It will be very intresting if your 2 almost identical post receive much airplay :D As a newbie myself, I have come to realize that if you want a definative answer to your question, you need to supply a lot more details to get an informed answer. I am sure that the reason THAI VISA FORUM was started, and continues (despite the many friendly gibes between members) :D Is to help all of us newcomers to Thailand. And it does a great job. I think you have to ask yourself, why was her application denied??? and go from there. There are many well informed people on this forum that maybe able to give you some insight. I hope it all works out for you :D

Hi to everybody reading this forum. I forgot how I found this site, I think it was when my Thai gf asked me to find real estate webs for BBK. The site is very informative for a newbie farang like me. Anyhow, the BBK Radio is just great!  :D I can't say that much for the OZ embassy in BBK. :o  My Thai gf is a school teacher in Udornthani, and has very strong family ties there. She made two apps to come to Sydney on a tourist visa, but was rejected both times becoz the embassy considered her application not to be genuine. I asked a immigration solicitor about this, and she said that most of South East Asia was considered high risk for overstaying, but that the embassy can't say this outright. I find this rather WEIRD!!!!!  :D Do you know of anyone who has experienced the same problem?

It will be very intresting if your 2 almost identical post receive much airplay :D As a newbie myself, I have come to realize that if you want a definative answer to your question, you need to supply a lot more details to get an informed answer. I am sure that the reason THAI VISA FORUM was started, and continues (despite the many friendly gibes between members) :D Is to help all of us newcomers to Thailand. And it does a great job. I think you have to ask yourself, why was her application denied??? and go from there. There are many well informed people on this forum that maybe able to give you some insight. I hope it all works out for you :D

Thanks for the tip Daddy, the reason I ended up posting two posts was becoz I got lost in this maze. It will take a little bit more time to familiarise myself. Over and out. :D

Thailand is famous for visa scammers.

Oz, the UK and the US officials are really skeptical when reviewing applications.

Probably 95% of Thai girlfriends have similar experiences.

Although they won't critique your application, I wouldn't think the embassy would have any problem stating this outright; I thought it was common knowledge.

They won't, however, give you tips on what makes a good application.

First off, please tell us she didn't identify you, an Aussie national, as her boyfriend, and visiting you as reason for the visit.

This, in itself, will set off alarms!

You don't want her to appear to have any ties to Oz.

Has she had a passport for some time?

Has she traveled outside of Thailand often?

Are any family members well traveled?

Has she been a teacher for many years?

Can she submit a letter, from her school, stating her substancial salary and position?

Is there anything that she can present that would indicate her need to return to her job in Thailand?

Strong family ties are just a start.

Is her family well established?

Are they substancial business/property owners.

Having strong family ties and good job is relative.

A great job in Thailand often pays les than what a fast food worker's makes in the West.

I know that most of the immigrant workers, here in the States, send a good portion of their money back home to their family.

The bottom line is that she has to convince the officials that a holiday is her only reason for her trip to Oz and that there is little chance she might overstay.

The burden of proof belongs to the applicant.

Good luck!

Do you know of anyone who has experienced the same problem?

My G/F has travelled to Oz with me five times, and we've never had any problems getting a visa for her. Did you write a letter for her to take with her application? Make sure you tell them that you will be supporting her with accommodation etc when she's in Oz. Photocopies of your credit cards and passport help.

After the first visa it gets easier if that's any consolation.

Oz, the UK and the US officials are really skeptical when reviewing applications.

Although they won't critique your application, I wouldn't think the embassy would have any problem stating this outright; I thought it was common knowledge.

First off, please tell us she didn't identify you, an Aussie national, as her boyfriend, and visiting you as reason for the visit.

Can she submit a letter, from her school, stating her substancial salary and position?

Is there anything that she can present that would indicate her need to return to her job in Thailand?

A great job in Thailand often pays les than what a fast food worker's makes in the West.

I know that most of the immigrant workers, here in the States, send a good portion of their money back home to their family.

The bottom line is that she has to convince the officials that a holiday is her only reason for her trip to Oz and that there is little chance she might overstay.

Good luck!

Hi Curt, thanks mate for the great advise. Yeah I did mention that I would be supporting her in OZ. WOW! I thought in the back of my mind that was a bad move. :o I will let a bit of water flow under the bridge before I get her to apply again, but this time no mention of me. Do they do checks on the bf in OZ? I supplied my bank details, birth cert, stat dec stating all was TRUE etc etc. :D

Do you know of anyone who has experienced the same problem?

My G/F has travelled to Oz with me five times, and we've never had any problems getting a visa for her. Did you write a letter for her to take with her application? Make sure you tell them that you will be supporting her with accommodation etc when she's in Oz. Photocopies of your credit cards and passport help.

After the first visa it gets easier if that's any consolation.

Thanks Soi OZ for your time and help in this matter. :D I did exactly as you stated, BUT I think Curt is correct in his summary of the situation. I SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MENTIONED!!! But you are correct in stating that it is easier after the first time. Ozzies never give up :o See ya in the soup.

Good luck!

Hi Curt, second reply to your reply. My gf comes from a farming family, (dirt poor)

She's never been outside of Thai, and she did supply a letter from her school stating her position. She did say that when she was at the embassy she met many Thai girls who were there for the 3rd and 4th time! :o Cheers.

Maybe Oz is different, but I have heard that "boyfriends" in the States, and the UK, set off alarms.

It signals a very strong incentive to come over and stay.

It's going to be a tough battle to get her over for a holiday.

Sounds like the one thing she does have going for her is that she does work upcountry, not supporting her family from Bangkok.

Possibly Australia does recognise some sort of "sponsorship".

You might look into that.

Check with the Department of Immigration while in Australia.

Dept. of Immigration

They might have some suggestions for success.

I found the officials in the States were much more friendly and helpful than those in Bangkok.

My one visit to the US Bangkok Embassy was little more than an exercise in frustration.

As useless as US Government employees are, compared to the US Embassy's Thai staffers, they are a well oiled machine!

It's tough.

You may just have to stick to visiting her.

Maybe you can go on holidays from Thailand together.

She can get some travel history logged.

Perijohn. A letter from her school stating that her position is open for her on return will help. Immigration look for a compelling reason for the applicant to return home after the visit. If you are out of the picture in respect of the application, she'll need to show evidence that she has the funds to support herself.

If you go to the Visa section here you will find good info about visas to Oz....

You being mentioned will not be the reason for refusal...it must be more than that. If you have filled out the sponsor details of the application then her employment and bank account details wont be needed.

My lady was granted her visa at the first shot with no hassles, I sponsored her and we put her down as unemployed so an employers letter wouldnt be needed.

I did supply a Stat Dec stating how long I had known her, that I would support her with fares, accom, health and general living, I also stated that I would ensure that she abided by the visa conditions and that she was coming for the purpose of a holiday only. I also supplied photos (only a few), letters and my pay slips for the last 6 months. We also supplied the receipts for any monies sent to her. She has travelled before and I have brought a girl here before with no hassles so that may have helped us.

But I have seen some peoples applications I thought stood no chance get approved, One girl was visiting a guy here who was here on a working visa and put down her bar as a place of employment and she flew out 2 days after us.

Perhaps if you tell us what you used to support your application, maybe we can give you a tip as to why it was refused.

If you go to the Visa section here you will find good info about visas to Oz....

You being mentioned will not be the reason for refusal...it must be more than that. If you have filled out the sponsor details of the application then her employment and bank account details wont be needed.

My lady was granted her visa at the first shot with no hassles, I sponsored her and we put her down as unemployed so an employers letter wouldnt be needed.

I did supply a Stat Dec stating how long I had known her, that I would support her with fares, accom, health and general living, I also stated that I would ensure that she abided by the visa conditions and that she was coming for the purpose of a holiday only. I also supplied photos (only a few), letters and my pay slips for the last 6 months. We also supplied the receipts for any monies sent to her. She has travelled before and I have brought a girl here before with no hassles so that may have helped us.

But I have seen some peoples applications I thought stood no chance get approved, One girl was visiting a guy here who was here on a working visa and put down her bar as a place of employment and she flew out 2 days after us.

Perhaps if you tell us what you used to support your application, maybe we can give you a tip as to why it was refused.

perijohn.iam a aussie and totally agree with burns'y do what he is telling you and make sure the gf is not married and doesent have any kids or a criminal record.iam not being disrespectful here to you or the gf,but the embassy will check.good luck mate.

Thanks Soi OZ for your time and help in this matter. :D  I did exactly as you stated, BUT I think Curt is correct in his summary of the situation. I SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MENTIONED!!! But you are correct in stating that it is easier after the first time. Ozzies never give up  :o See ya in the soup.

One big difference that I didn't consider... I live and work in Bangkok which would make the embassy people happier. Also, my G/F owns and operates a substantial business so that gives her more ties to return to. I guess every case is different so my experiences may not be much of a guide to anyone else's.

OZ embassy

Doesnt deserve the title

Badly organised

Arrogant condescending staff.

No focus on servicing their employers....ie aus taxpayers.

Goes for the whole Dima operation.

Thanks Soi OZ for your time and help in this matter. :D  I did exactly as you stated, BUT I think Curt is correct in his summary of the situation. I SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MENTIONED!!! But you are correct in stating that it is easier after the first time. Ozzies never give up  :o See ya in the soup.

One big difference that I didn't consider... I live and work in Bangkok which would make the embassy people happier. Also, my G/F owns and operates a substantial business so that gives her more ties to return to. I guess every case is different so my experiences may not be much of a guide to anyone else's.

Good luck!

Hi Curt, thanks mate for the great advise. Yeah I did mention that I would be supporting her in OZ. WOW! I thought in the back of my mind that was a bad move. :o I will let a bit of water flow under the bridge before I get her to apply again, but this time no mention of me. Do they do checks on the bf in OZ? I supplied my bank details, birth cert, stat dec stating all was TRUE etc etc. :D

[/quote Has your girlfriend got a criminal record, that has always been one of the conditions of entry !! a criminal record preferably with jail time is a condition for guaranteed entry into australia :D failing that entry via New Zealand never fails :D Nignoy

Maybe Oz is different, but I have heard that "boyfriends" in the States, and the UK, set off alarms.

It signals a very strong incentive to come over and stay.

It's going to be a tough battle to get her over for a holiday.

Sounds like the one thing she does have going for her is that she does work upcountry, not supporting her family from Bangkok.

Possibly Australia does recognise some sort of "sponsorship".

You might look into that.

Check with the Department of Immigration while in Australia.

Dept. of Immigration

They might have some suggestions for success.

I found the officials in the States were much more friendly and helpful than those in Bangkok.

My one visit to the US Bangkok Embassy was little more than an exercise in frustration.

As useless as US Government employees are, compared to the US Embassy's Thai staffers, they are a well oiled machine!

It's tough.

You may just have to stick to visiting her.

Maybe you can go on holidays from Thailand together.

She can get some travel history logged.

Hi Curt, thanks again for your time and info. I just finished talking with her and we plan to marry next year some time. It's just a matter of organising things with her parents and the monks etc. After that it should be no problem bringing her to OZ. We both wish to live in BBK eventually. Funny, but it's a bit like the spy world; embassy staff overseas act as the "GATE-KEEPERS". Have a nice day! as they say in California. :o

Perijohn. A letter from her school stating that her position is open for her on return will help. Immigration look for a compelling reason for the applicant to return home after the visit. If you are out of the picture in respect of the application, she'll need to show evidence that she has the funds to support herself.

Thanks Dr Pat, I spoke with her on the phone and we plan to marry sometime next year, it's just a matter of organising things with her parents and the monks. But also me taking time off work. After that I should have no problem bringing her to OZ for awhile. We both want to live in BBK eventually, she being very business minded, prefers BBK. Any earlier than that, we can always try a holiday to NZ with a cross the Tasman trip to OZ thrown in! Cheers. :o

OZ embassy

Doesnt deserve the title

Badly organised

Arrogant condescending staff.

No focus on servicing their employers....ie aus taxpayers.

Goes for the whole Dima operation.

Hi Snoophound, yeah the culture of beaurocracy gone MAD! Hope ya enjoying ya globe trotting adventures mate. :D

Good luck!

[/quote Has your girlfriend got a criminal record, that has always been one of the conditions of entry !! a criminal record preferably with jail time is a condition for guaranteed entry into australia :D failing that entry via New Zealand never fails :D Nignoy

Right on Nignoy! NZ never fails ya. I have some things happening next year regards my gf, but if I want to get her out here a bit earlier I think NZ is the GO! I don't know about criminal records but her ex was a Thai copper. :D

perijohn.iam a aussie and totally agree with burns'y do what he is telling you and make sure the gf is not married and doesent have any kids or a criminal record.iam not being disrespectful here to you or the gf,but the embassy will check.good luck mate.

WOW! Radar, how about this: she's divorced, her ex was a Thai copper. She has kids to that marriage, but NO criminal record. Maybe her ex did. :o

Hi gburns57au, yeah I did all the right things the first and the second time around just as you have stated you did. I read the embassy report, and on both counts it read the same. Basically in a nutshell it said: regardless of what support I have offered her, they considered her application NOT TO BE GENUINE. She had a letter from her school, bank statements etc. etc. Anyhow, I plan to marry her next year and will make all the right moves then. Outside of that, if I need her here earlier I can try the NZ route. Thankyou for your time and interest. :o

Hi gburns57au, yeah I did all the right things the first and the second time around just as you have stated you did. I read the embassy report, and on both counts it read the same. Basically in a nutshell it said: regardless of what support I have offered her, they considered her application NOT TO BE GENUINE. She had a letter from her school, bank statements etc. etc. Anyhow, I plan to marry her next year and will make all the right moves then. Outside of that, if I need her here earlier I can try the NZ route. Thankyou for your time and interest. :o

Sometimes Perijon it's more about the sponsors situation and future intentions than evidence supplied about the girl. I also believe that a sponsored girl has more chance of success than a young single Thai female. (Prostitution/sex slavery)

Burnsies post is very wise and he has put in the time in the relationship and the application. How long have you spent together in the relationship? Do you share a language? Do you plan to live in Oz together or Thailand? Many people have fleeting relationships with a girl like this, think it's forever and want to bring them home without really knowing them. In these cases the chances of a visa are slim.

Good luck. Maybe you need to spend a fair bit more time in Udonthani building the relationship. :D

This thread speaks volumes about those who do not do research on T.V., as their are innumerable threads which go into great detail as to what documentation is required to be successful in getting a Thai a tourist visa to Oz.

Making an application and having a turn down on your record just makes the 2nd try that much harder. In my view, applying for a visa to Oz, U.S. or U.K. is not something to treat casually.

Dr. Pat's quoted "compelling reason to return" is the criteria, and he is spot on. Thus an Ozzie living and working in BKK who sponsors a Thai who owns her own business and they have an established relationship is almost a "slam dunk" as a visas to Oz go. If you don't meet this criteria, I would suggest it is a lot harder to get a visa than that post suggests and much effort must be put into the process, to be successful.

Read every thread on this subject in T.V. and you will be as knowledgeable as those of us who have already been successful and who have posted our experiences and opinions in great detail.

This thread speaks volumes about those who do not do research on T.V., as their are innumerable threads which go into great detail as to what documentation is required to be successful in getting a Thai a tourist visa to Oz.

Making an application and having a turn down on your record just makes the 2nd try that much harder.  In my view, applying for a visa to Oz, U.S. or U.K. is not something to treat casually.

Dr. Pat's quoted "compelling reason to return" is the criteria, and he is spot on.  Thus an Ozzie living and working in BKK who sponsors a Thai who owns her own business and they have an established relationship is almost a "slam dunk" as a visas to Oz go.  If you don't meet this criteria, I would suggest it is a lot harder to get a visa than that post suggests and much effort must be put into the process, to be successful. 

Read every thread on this subject in T.V. and you will be as knowledgeable as those of us who have already been successful and who have posted our experiences and opinions in great detail.

you are absolutely correct mate, I will move this to visa section where the links exist

I am seeing two opposing schools of thought here.

My version, based on US Visa requirements, is that the applicant has to demonstrate no reason to overstay and every incentive to return to Thailand.

The US doesn't consider any "sponsorship", other than for family members, typically for immigration purposes.

I'm reading here that Australia does consider sponsorship. Is this really for a "tourist" visa, or is this what was required for a fiancee, wife or family member?

perijon seems to be considering my advice. I would hate to be steering him wrong.

One thing for sure. Since they are considering an extended future, it's time to compile volumes of relationship documentation. Save and organize all letters, email, phone records and all other evidence of the relationship, at both ends. The longer they can prove they've known each other, the better.

I'm reading here that Australia does consider sponsorship. Is this really for a "tourist" visa, or is this what was required for a fiancee, wife or family member?

Australia does accept sponsorship by an individual for a tourist visa, All that is needed is proof of ability to support and ideally a Stat Dec (legal Doc) to show that you understand the conditions of the visa and will ensure compliance. The application form has a sponsor section in it.

Sometimes Perijon it's more about the sponsors situation and future intentions than evidence supplied about the girl. I also believe that a sponsored girl has more chance of success than a young single Thai female. (Prostitution/sex slavery)

Burnsies post is very wise and he has put in the time in the relationship and the application. How long have you spent together in the relationship? Do you share a language? Do you plan to live in Oz together or Thailand? Many people have fleeting relationships with a girl like this, think it's forever and want to bring them home without really knowing them. In these cases the chances of a visa are slim.

Good luck. Maybe you need to spend a fair bit more time in Udonthani building the relationship. :D

Well old croc when I get time to scan in the reason for refusal you may have a different prospective on it. I have had a good long relationship with this woman who is a traditional Thai woman, and we are both in our 40's. We plan to live in Thailand, and I do speak a little Thai, and progressing slowly. As you know tonal languages are harder for westerners to learn. But the Thai script really bowls me over, HA! Thanks for your input. :D

Making an application and having a turn down on your record just makes the 2nd try that much harder.  In my view, applying for a visa to Oz, U.S. or U.K. is not something to treat casually.

Dr. Pat's quoted "compelling reason to return" is the criteria, and he is spot on.  Thus an Ozzie living and working in BKK who sponsors a Thai who owns her own business and they have an established relationship is almost a "slam dunk" as a visas to Oz go.  If you don't meet this criteria, I would suggest it is a lot harder to get a visa than that post suggests and much effort must be put into the process, to be successful. 

Hey ProThaiExpat, thanks for the speil. I am going to scan in the embassy's reason for refusal when I get a moment, you will find it interesting. BYE! :o