Tallest Thai In The World

webfact

EVEREST ATTEMPT

Tallest Thai in the world

By Manote Tripathi

The Nation

30152347-01.jpg

Natapol Supmanu expects to brandish our flag and the King's portrait at the summit of Mount Everest next month

Why does Natapol Supmanu want to climb Mount Everest? Britain's George Mallory famously replied, "Because it's there." The answer from the 35-year-old Thai reflects his ambitiousness: "Because it's the highest."

Sponsored by Thai Beverage Marketing, Natapol heads to Nepal today for a summit attempt called Thai Everest 2011: Live Your Dream.

From Kathmandu he'll cross into Tibet and reach Everest Base Camp on April 20. The ascent will take place sometime between May 15 and 25, and he plans to be back in Thailand around June 11.

"I've always been an adventure lover, an outdoor type, since my school days in the US," says Natapol, whose father used to take him deep-sea fishing. "I was often caught in a tug-of-war with big fish, but my dad would never let me go for a shark - he always said they were bigger than I was."

Two decades on, his father has no such reservations about the Himalayan mission, although Natapol says his mother is worrying. He's somehow managed to assure her that it's only "a stroll on the summit of Mount Everest".

Natapol is managing director of Finestra, a firm that distributes uPVC windows and doors, but he's physically and mentally prepared for this challenge and others planned afterward. He's spent two years exercising strenuously - weightlifting, regular 10-kilometre runs and other cardiovascular training.

Prior to that he built up muscle by eating a dozen of more egg whites a day and lots of meat. "Since then I've been eating five or six egg whites a day. I tried protein supplements, but I think it's best to get protein from my regular food.

"But I've been exercising all my life. I was a bodybuilder and an 800m runner in college in the US.

"On the mental side, I meditate. I think I've attained the necessary physical fitness, but whether I can reach the summit depends on my mental strength. Meditation helps, and I've been attending sessions at the Ban Wang Muang Meditation Centre in Phang Nga. I also do yoga and Pilates."

And in his time he's been a PADI-certified diver, downhill skier, boxer, footballer and cross-country runner.

High-altitude climbing consumes a lot of physical energy, he acknowledges, but he's had no serious problem with acute mountain sickness on lower peaks in Nepal and elsewhere.

Natapol is familiar with the rarefied air on the world's highest peaks, having scaled Mt Kanabalu, which reaches 4,082 metres, Chola Pass (5,420m) and Kala Patthar (5,545m), as well as mountains in the US, where he began climbing while at college.

"What fascinates me about mountaineering is that you always have obstacles in sight to overcome. The moment arrives in this vast quiet. All you need to do is solve the problem at hand. I like that moment!"

Natapol, making his first trip to Everest, is keen to follow in the footsteps of George Mallory, whose life story is recounted in the adventure documentary "The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest", soon to be released in Thailand.

Narrated by actor Liam Neeson, with Ralph Fiennes providing the voice of Mallory and Natasha Richardson that of his wife Ruth, the film follows American climber Conrad Anker as he retraces Mallory's 1924 trail up Everest.

In doing so, Anker attempts to solve a 75-year-old mystery: Did Mallory make it to the top?

In fact the British climber might have been the first to reach the summit - and not New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Tibet's Tensing Norgay in 1953.

Mallory was last seen 800 feet from the summit - but was he going up or coming down? He then vanished, and remained missing until Anker discovered his body on the mountain, frozen and intact, nearly eight decades later.

In the film, Anker scales Everest using the same equipment and clothing as Mallory.

Natapol met Anker at his Khumbu Climbing School in Nepal last year. "He invited me to see the film and also gave me a hat! He's one of my inspirations. And I've got three sherpas on my ascent who were trained by Conrad."

Mallory tackled Everest from the Tibet side, and Natapol is too. He'll visit Rongbuk Monastery, the world's highest temple, for the same blessing the lamas gave Mallory in 1924. He hopes to see the same scene among the monastery's murals that Mallory recorded: a black demon disembowelling a white man.

A staff of 10 will help Natapol at Everest Base Camp, and on the ascent he'll be accompanied by the three experienced sherpas - Pa Sang has been to the summit nine times and Kunulu and Mingma seven times each. Mingma will also be his official cameramen.

Natapol admits the cost of a summit attempt is astronomical, nearing Bt10 million. Thai Beverage, which produces Beer Chang, is paying for that as well as the Bt40-million price of a 30-part TV documentary about the expedition.

"I want to thank Thai Beverage Marketing for sponsoring my climb, which extols the 'Live Your Dream' concept of the Chang products," he says. "If you dare to dream, you need to go out and realise it. You don't need to scale Everest like me, but you need to play hard in your field and achieve success by turning your dream into reality."

Natapol will make his climb carrying a portrait of His Majesty the King and the flags of Thailand and Suankulap School, which he attended, and a third bearing the Buddhist Dharmachak symbol.

He's confident he won't let his fellow Thais down, but just the same, he says, "Wish me luck - I'll need a lot of it up there!"

Progress reports

Natapol's preparations for his ascent are chronicled in first segments of the work-in-progress documentary "Thai Everest 2011: Live Your Dream", produced by the Thospak studio, which will premiere on Channel 5 on April 25, following the evening news, and on Thai Global Network.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-04

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't he be 'Highest Thai in the World'?

Even the yaba heads can't top everest.

Semantics aside;

Chockdee Natapol!

More power to the kid and I wish him all the best but I had no interest in reading this article except to find out how tall he is.

Well, read the article for heaven's sake. So the title is misleading, get over it and try not to be negative about a positive thing FOR ONCE.

I don't see anyone being negative, it is a relevant question. How is he the tallest Thai in the world?

I don't see anyone criticizing his achievement, so where is this negativity that you talk of?

I guess reading the article is out of the question then, since it clearly shows that he is planning on climbing Everest, the tallest point on Earth. So, the title is a bit off but if you READ the article you will understand the story.

• Like 2

If Kuhn Natapol does in fact complete the dangerous ascent of Mt. Everest it will be a great personal achievement for himself and his team. The notion of being 'the first (fill in the blank) to climb Everest' or "I am dedicating my ascent of Everest to all those who (fill in the blank)" has become pure over-played hokum and has maybe cost some climbers and Sherpas their lives.

Well, read the article for heaven's sake. So the title is misleading, get over it and try not to be negative about a positive thing FOR ONCE.

LOL. Don't ask me why but the title made me very curious about how tall the tallest Thai was and I went into the story thinking I was going to find out. And the fact that a Google search doesn't get me the answer either only assured that no matter how interesting this guy and story is .. the story was bound to leave me a bit disappointed. Now had it read the "The Highest Thai in the World" I would have gone into the article to find out how much drugs this person can handle without dying .. which would have peaked my curiosity a little but not left me as disappointed in terms of not knowing how tall the Tallest Thai Person is.

As for the actual story ...

How cool it is he is going to be placing flags including that of The King and not one for Chang Beer as I'm guessing might be the case if this was a westerner sponsored by a western company.

Also got curious to know if a Thai ever reached the summit before and at least one other Thai group had and did it to celebrate The King's 80th birthday a few years back (again, very cool!). While looking that up I also noticed that despite all the modern technology available only 1,500 people have ever reached the summit.

Edited by Nisa

I guess reading the article is out of the question then, since it clearly shows that he is planning on climbing Everest, the tallest point on Earth. So, the title is a bit off but if you READ the article you will understand the story.

Yes I read the article, and standing on the top of Everest still does not make him the tallest Thai in the world, unless of course he is also the tallest Thai in the world, which he isn't. I did read the article the first time expecting to see the comment 'as well as being the highest Thai on land on his ascent, he is also strangely the tallest Thai in the world'.

Also got curious to know if a Thai ever reached the summit before and at least one other Thai group had and did it to celebrate The King's 80th birthday a few years back (again, very cool!). While looking that up I also noticed that despite all the modern technology available only 1,500 people have ever reached the summit.

Only 1500 - that's surprising.

I was reading another article about the graveyard up on mount everest - the conditions up there are such that the dead can't be recovered. There are 150 dead or more up there, the bodies don't decompose, some are frozen in place the same way they died. Many of the dead are visible during an ascent to the top.

Helicopters can't fly because it's too high, and certainly can't land because there's too much wind / it's too cold, etc. Human rescue crews can't get there - if you are near the top you pretty much have to focus all your energy and attention to making it to the top and back down again. If you were to, say, go over to the right a bit to try and recover a body there is a very high chance you'll never make it down yourself.

So yeah - despite the fact that anyone with enough money can go up there, it's still no mean feat.

Only 1500 - that's surprising.

I was reading another article about the graveyard up on mount everest - the conditions up there are such that the dead can't be recovered. There are 150 dead or more up there, the bodies don't decompose, some are frozen in place the same way they died. Many of the dead are visible during an ascent to the top.

Helicopters can't fly because it's too high, and certainly can't land because there's too much wind / it's too cold, etc. Human rescue crews can't get there - if you are near the top you pretty much have to focus all your energy and attention to making it to the top and back down again. If you were to, say, go over to the right a bit to try and recover a body there is a very high chance you'll never make it down yourself.

So yeah - despite the fact that anyone with enough money can go up there, it's still no mean feat.

I read something similar. Said those who make it to the top really have no time to enjoy the view because of the lack of oxygen and they simply snap some pictures then quickly head bag down to the upper base camp. Also said "if" it was possible to fly up there and basically go from sea level up there quickly you would die because of the difference in oxygen level. Don't quote me but I think they said it was 30% of what we are used to breathing.

Edited by Nisa

I wonder if he's ready? The base camps in Nepal are at 5500m and he says that's the highest he's been before (everest is 8900m). I went that high in Nepal when I was trekking as many other do, and as he did (Chola pass). That's not mountain climbing though that's walking. I doubt that a truly responsible expedition would take him without a 7000-8000m climb under his belt. Good luck being dragged up by the sherpas.

Edited by harrycallahan

I knew a guy who attempted Everest. His ego got a hold of him and he didn't turn back when advised and ran out of oxygen. When he returned he was like a three year old and will never be the same.

I personally have never had any desire to climb it, but I never could dream of affording it either. But by everything that I have read says that the trip costs only about 1-2 million baht not 10 million baht. Is that because he is using a thai tour agency to take care of the details?

http://himalman.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/how-much-does-it-cost-to-climb-mt-everest/

Edited by bitterbatter

I would be concerned that the people making the movie don't put him at risk. I hope they don't push him to summit no matter what the cost. People that do climb it usually become unable to think very clearly and think its not much further, surely I can do that. With a little pushing from a director trying to get that 'shot', and you have a recipe for disaster.

Best of luck and wish him a safe journey.

Edited by bitterbatter

I hope he takes back the trash the ascent will create. The mountain is littered with debris, from discarded oxygen tanks to mounds of human poop, all courtesy of past expeditions. This is one time where the Europeans can't point the finger at anyone else since most of the expeditions that created the worst litter were European.

This brave lad could make a positive statement by ensuring Thailand saw him "taking out the trash" and leaving the mountain as he found it. It would tie in with the King's message about protecting the land. He's climbed in the USA, so he knows the drill about climber's refuse.

You asked an interesting question;

There's hope;

On May 14th, 2005 at 7:08 a.m. (Nepal time), a serial Ecureuil/AStar AS 350 B3 piloted by the Eurocopter X test pilot Didier Delsalle, landed at 8,850 meters (29,035ft) on the top of the Mount Everest in the Kingdom of Nepal. He stayed 2 minutes - Enough time to toss someone on the chopper I reckon.

There's tragedy (from Nov. 2010)

A NEPALESE pilot who performed the highest helicopter mountain rescue in history is missing after crashing near Mount Everest overnight.

Sabin Basnyat and an engineer were attempting to rescue two climbers from Mount Amadablam, a 6812-metre peak near Everest, when their helicopter crashed.

Witnesses reported seeing it burst into flames before smashing into the mountainside.

Earlier this year, Basnyat made history when he piloted the world's highest ever rescue mission, airlifting three sick Spanish climbers from Mount Annapurna.

And then this from Fishtail,

Afore mentioned Helicopter Association International's Eurocopter Golden Hour Award has been received by Mrs. Poonam Basnyat at Orlando 'Heli Expo 2011' on behalf of Late Captain Sabin Basnyat on the 7 of march.

so yes, this gentleman has to be quite brave to chance a perilous climb with limited rescue likelihood.

(sorry for different fonts. It's cut and paste time.)

Edited by geriatrickid

Good Luck to the Lad - I hope the evident lack of experience is down to poor reporting rather than poor preparation. Mt Kinabalu is a walk, often made by families (kids) for example !

This is a type 4E climb (according to Jagged Globe)

4: Long, steep snow and ice slopes with short steps of very steep ice or low grade rock climbing. Good all-round climbing ability required to Scottish III/Alpine AD.

E: Hard physical effort at extreme altitude which requires thorough preparation based on your experience of previous trips. Comments for 'D' also apply. May cause long-term fatigue after the trip.

And again according to Jagged Globe's Website:

Experience Required

To join the Everest team you will need to have extensive mountaineering experience. This should include previous high altitude experience of at least 6,000 metres, mixed with a multitude of Alpine mountaineering and, preferably, you will have taken part in a previous 8,000-metre expedition. We have found that those who have previously been to an 8,000-metre peak have a considerably better chance of getting to the top of Everest.

Regardless - Good Luck.

LOL. Don't ask me why but the title made me very curious about how tall the tallest Thai was and I went into the story thinking I was going to find out. And the fact that a Google search doesn't get me the answer either only assured that no matter how interesting this guy and story is .. the story was bound to leave me a bit disappointed. Now had it read the "The Highest Thai in the World" I would have gone into the article to find out how much drugs this person can handle without dying .. which would have peaked my curiosity a little but not left me as disappointed in terms of not knowing how tall the Tallest Thai Person is.

How cool it is he is going to be placing flags including that of The King and not one for Chang Beer as I'm guessing might be the case if this was a westerner sponsored by a western company.

I thought they never made it to the summit on the 80th birthday attempt:

TITV Everest: The Unlimited Spirit of Thailand 2007 was a reality television series on TITV in Thailand that followed the adventure of nine Thai people who were seeking to be the first Thai expedition to reach the summit of Mount Everest.[1] The team had planned to place the Thai flag, a Buddhist pennant and the emblem of King Bhumibol Adulyadej on the summit to mark the king's 80th birthday.[2]

The team had hoped to reach the summit by November 8, but they were forced to abandon their expedition because of harsh weather conditions.[3]

I have done some climbing myself, and I did visit the Base Camp of Everest. The biggest problem is altitude and how one's body copes with the lack of oxygen. Thailand is mostly a low altitude country and as a result Thais have a distinct disadvantage when mountaneering. The second problem is the sheer distance covered... I mean, Thai people don't walk anywhere... do they?

I have my doubts about this all... he sounds fit, but I saw no mention of previous mountaneering experience in the article.

Just get over the tallest Vs highest issue will some of you... It's pretty obvious after reading the very first line of the story that it's not about a tall Thai....

Some folk like to exploit the slightest of gaps in any story to a point whereby a slight mis-transliteration has become the main topic.

I also heard about the 2007 expedition - It would've been great if their travels were televised. The same with this Chappy - TV coverage would be excellent.

For the last couple of years there has been a series on Discovery which followed a handful of Climbers through their build up and attempts at the summit of Everest. It really brought home exactly how deadly climbing at that altitude can be.

I suspect that not many people are actually aware of what an achievement this would be.

I thought they never made it to the summit on the 80th birthday attempt:

Vitidnan Rojanapanich made it to the summit of Mt. Everest on 22nd May 2008.

knueng-on-summit-mteverest-1-retouched-440-pixel-wide-for-the-new-section3.jpg

Edited by Nisa

Just get over the tallest Vs highest issue will some of you... It's pretty obvious after reading the very first line of the story that it's not about a tall Thai....

Some folk like to exploit the slightest of gaps in any story to a point whereby a slight mis-transliteration has become the main topic.

I also heard about the 2007 expedition - It would've been great if their travels were televised. The same with this Chappy - TV coverage would be excellent.

For the last couple of years there has been a series on Discovery which followed a handful of Climbers through their build up and attempts at the summit of Everest. It really brought home exactly how deadly climbing at that altitude can be.

I suspect that not many people are actually aware of what an achievement this would be.

Not sure if it was televised but found this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su93rbKPuv0

Edited by Nisa

How does this make him the tallest???

The Thai word for 'tallest' and 'highest' is the same with support words to be more specific. Am assuming this is translated from Thai.

How a guy who has never climbed a mountain higher than 5500m (Mt Kanabalu, which reaches 4,082 metres, Chola Pass (5,420m) and Kala Patthar (5,545m), as well as mountains in the US) succeed at everest???????

lots of talk

weird,.

must be his egg diet that will help him... LOL

Edited by Stokakrishna