Review Of Bobs Bbq Restaurant

actiondell4

Popped into BOBS BBQ restaurant on Soi LK Metro last week.

First timer here,had a hamburger 280 baht which comes with chips/french fries.

In reality the burger was the same as you would buy from the street carts,nothing really special,heck,they may have even popped out to buy it.

The portion I ordered was medium sized but small portions,I actually counted 12 small chips.

Now it was a decent tasted burger with lettuce tomato etc but not the best and I expected better , they also charged me an extra 25 or so baht for a tax,which I have never been charged before except in big places.

Staff were middleaged ladies and quite polite but not overly helpful.

Sitting in a outside table,I noticed the amount of "missed" customers they lost ,who would come over to look at the outside menu and leave.

Also for the hour I was there,I was the only customer so its doubtful they are busy.

I think the dark tinted wndow stops a lot from going in.

My advice is to increase portion sizes,OR lower the prices.

I didnt think it was value for money,paying over $10 for a burger and 10 or so french fries.

Also I think if I owned the place I would create a atmosphere of maybe country music,and take out the black tinted windows and turn off the inside TV of fox news.

Would I go back,probaly not because their are far more cheaper alternatives,if they had some "atmosphere",then it maybe worth the price BUT I can pay 79baht down a few shops away at the burger stand and probaly even have a conversation with the cook.

I would rate it around a 4 out of 10.

Postives were the place looked very clean,was aircon inside,staff were polite and efficient although not talkative and there was no waiting for food very long at all.

The food was well presented on the plate.

Negatives were small portion sizes and price value ,not enough chips ,considering I ordered medium size,I would hate to see small size.

Edited by actiondell4

Thanks for your review. I am also happy to welcome a fellow HONEST reviewer. Praise when deserved, but there is no reason to puff up poor value restaurants when there are thousands of places to eat in town. We can and SHOULD be picky.

You might want to try the 150 good sized burger (not sure if price is current?) including choice of cheese and fries at the Pattaya Beer Garden. Right on the water near the entrance to walking street (but not on it yet). I thought it was worth it for sure but the fries weren't the style I like.

Edited by Jingthing

The best burgers so far i found at the simon restaurant located jomtien soi where is immigration office. 189 baht 2 huge cheese burgers with bacon and huge portion of french fries, Actually it is all day meal i cant even eat that at once and quality of meat and cheese(dont know what brand it is but definetly not 7/11 sliced) is very good.

The outdoor hamburger stand at the corner of sois Bua Khow and Diana (in front of Navin Mansion I believe) is very good. For around B 100, you get a nice grilled cheeseburger on a fresh burger-bun...can't remember if it came with some fries too. Can eat on a stool in front or at a table on the Navin balcony (if you order a drink to go with your burger).

I agree with the review.

I tried Bob's last year with more or less the same result.

I never had a burger there but did try a burrito before the new owner took over. I recall word that the new owner has made some adjustments to the Mexican items though I remain skeptical. The burrito I had, I wouldn't wish it on a starving chihuahua.

I agree that' it's quite expensive for an ordinary burger and a few fries/chips. Actually, when I think about it more and compare it to other places, it's very expensive. There's no way that I'd pay $10 for a mediocre burger and some fries in N.A., so I certainly wouldn't play it here.

I think I've found one of the best restaurants in the area, and many of its items offer excellent dining value. I was coming back from Phoenix Golf with a friend about a week ago, and we were quite hungry. We'd eaten at the course before, and although it's not bad, it's certainly nothing special. However, we noticed that a new restaurant had opened on the Phoenix Road about a kilometer up from Sukhumvit Rd. called My Dining Room, so we though we'd give it a go. They have a range of interesting and tasty items for 170 baht and a selection of larger entrees for around 260. Pizza was also on the menu at around 170 baht. We split a starter of mussels, which is a food that I don't really care for, but these were served in a delicious tomato sauce, and I could have eaten the whole plate by myself -- they were that good. Everything else we had was also excellent. I was so impressed with this place that I went back last weekend to try a fillet steak that I noticed on the menu for 360 baht. It came with 2 side dishes, but I wasn't going to get too excited because beef steak, even a fillet cut, can be pretty tough and nasty in Thailand. I can honestly say that I've never had a steak that was so tender and tasty in Thailand. So, when I have the choice to pay 305 baht for a so-so burger or 360 baht for a very tender and delicious fillet steak meal, the steak is obviously going to be my choice. It gets even better for me because I have recently moved to Ban Amphur, and this restaurant is only about 5 minutes from me. I am very hesitant to recommend any restaurant because food can be such a personal choice, but this place is definitely a winner. I spoke to the very attractive owner and learned that not only can she speak excellent English, but she's also fluent in Italian due to living there for about 9 years. On top of that, she's formally trained in European cuisine. Try this place if you're Ban Amphur. I'm quite sure that you won't regret it.

Well,it probaly ended up far more than 10 bucks with the value added tax 30 b plus the extra 35 baht for the bbq sauce,so probaly around the 12 dollar range.

Crazy actually that a business charges extra for sauces and mustards.

I recall those 79 baht burger stands put the sauce on for free,in fact some of them have the sauces/mustard out for you to put on yourself.

On a positive side,apparently Bobs BBQ have a 99 baht lunch time burger special,now Im not sure if they ADD the value add tax to that or its already added ?

I hope this bobs bbq survives as apparently they have relatively new ownership,but in my opinion they should make some changes.

Edited by actiondell4

"...hamburger 280 baht which comes with chips/french fries.......,I actually counted 12 small chips.

.........an extra 25 or so baht for a tax"

Sorry, but they saw you coming. I can eat about 10 decent Thai meals for that price, within 25yds of Soi LK Metro. Or, if you are a total farang-food devotee, there is a fish and chip place in Soi Lengkee about 3 minutes walk from LK Metro that does fish and chips for 100B. Also a place that does a whole pizza for 200B (all you can eat on Wednesday). And there are several places around there that do a respectable farang meal for between 99 and 150B. And a good evening buffet for 180B just down the road at Diana Inn.

I would have thought that anyone seeing the 280B price on the menu would not have gone inside in the first place. And honestly you cant say that there is no choice in that area.

Personally I wouldnt eat a burger anywhere, ever, no matter what price it was. They are just too greasy and bland to be swallowed. The single best thing about Thailand is Thai food.

Darrel,your right I should of known better,but I did think the burger would look and taste different from the burger stand ones and have bigger asnd better tasting portions of chips etc.

I didn't think they would charge extra for sauces either,but I gave it a go and didn't like it,others may differ and love it,we are all different.

But perhaps if I had tried their BBQ ribs instead of their burgers I may feel different about it.

Darrel,your right I should of known better,but I did think the burger would look and taste different from the burger stand ones and have bigger asnd better tasting portions of chips etc.

I didn't think they would charge extra for sauces either,but I gave it a go and didn't like it,others may differ and love it,we are all different.

But perhaps if I had tried their BBQ ribs instead of their burgers I may feel different about it.

I am waiting for the day when Bob's BBQ only focuses on producing top quality smoked BBQ: beef, pork, chicken, sausage. I think he would make a fortune if he did that and could do it with quality meats, hint, hint. :)

I had a delivery from WaiteronWheels from there , it was inedible, i did contact the new owner(Dale)privately on another forum but got no reply.

It arrived nothing like the pictures on the website, dried up chicken wings, no relish, onion or mustard for the hotdog, dried bun. Threw it all in the bin

Edited by bartender100

You must know I'm a compulsive ribs eater and I compiled a list of some places pretending to serve BBQ ribs.

I tried Bob's ribs last year and they made only the middle of the list.

They appear baked or stewed but not BBQed.

If you like ribs, go to Sizzler.

Rankings:

1- food wave (Recommended)

2- Sizzler (Recommended)

3- New Orleans (Good)

4- Big horn (Fair)

5- Great American Rib (Fair)

6- Bob's Texan BBQ

7- tequila reef tex-mex restaurant

8- Shenanigan's

I ranked food wave first because their ribs are charcoaled, have a subtle smokey and sweet taste (thanks to honey), and are soft, but I don't particularly like the dining experience there, and it is a bit expensive if you order side dishes.

Sizzler offers a better dining experience, while New Orleans is significantly more expensive (but you get table cloth and cloth napkin).

It is not surprising the high turnover places come first in the ranking, because when a restaurant doesn't have much turnover, they are not able to freshly BBQ the ribs, they have to bake or stew them, and often freeze them, which kinda defeats the purpose, and then some hide their shame under a thick layer of tomato sauce. YIKES! (number 7 and 8 in the list)

Edited by manarak

Bobs was not really very good when Bob was still the owner. I went for the 180 or 200 rib special on Wed or Mon night a couple of years ago. It was OK. But Bob did not have a special listed on the menu. The waitress had to go to Bob for approval. Saw special advertised on one of the Pattaya TV news channels.

.. I did think the burger would look and taste different from the burger stand ones and have bigger asnd better tasting portions of chips etc.

I'm not a burger man at all but there is a place somewhere in/near LK Metro that claims to have Pattaya's best (biggest?) burger. I've seen pictures and reports about it on here I think, and I seem to remember them as mostly positive.

Is that the place you went to?

Yes it's the place in Soi LK .

It's a pity really,because im sure the newish owner is a good cook,but in my opnion lacks business sense.

Really it's seems so competitive in that area that you have to give customers more than others especially if everyone around you is selling the same thing,that area seems to becoming a "dog eat dog" mentality among business owners and i imagine only the tough survive.

Im sure this place has potential though to be a good business providing great food if you had that business sense,but no i personally wont be going back to Bobs BBQ because i couldnt see any value OR difference eating there or eating at any other place except its half the price at other places.

Am I as a customer getting anything special at Bobs BBQ ,anything more,anything different,any different atmosphere,no,its the same as the others except I got 10 french fries and paid something like 12 dollars.

This is not meant to be a putdown but to help these newish business owners to learn to be more competitive,think of new ideas,give customers more etc.

Edited by actiondell4

The outdoor hamburger stand at the corner of sois Bua Khow and Diana (in front of Navin Mansion I believe) is very good. For around B 100, you get a nice grilled cheeseburger on a fresh burger-bun...can't remember if it came with some fries too. Can eat on a stool in front or at a table on the Navin balcony (if you order a drink to go with your burger).

i always thought they are the same you can buy in 7 eleven or dw for 29 baht

Edited by Gik

I was actually quite satisfied with the quality and taste of all the items that I have eaten there. I do however, with the exceptions of the 100 baht lunch items, think they are overpriced. Some of, maybe most of the burgers I have had in Pattaya were absolutely horrible. A hamburger should be 100 percent beef with no fillers or spices added.

I was actually quite satisfied with the quality and taste of all the items that I have eaten there. I do however, with the exceptions of the 100 baht lunch items, think they are overpriced. Some of, maybe most of the burgers I have had in Pattaya were absolutely horrible. A hamburger should be 100 percent beef with no fillers or spices added.

Bit of an oximorun there; "A hamburger should be 100% beef...."!!

Bit of an oximorun there; "A hamburger should be 100% beef...."!!

no oxymoron here, as "ham" and "hamburger" are etymologically unrelated