Importing Motorcycle

bigfella

Can anyone help with info. re importing 750cc motorcycle in disassembled state. ( box of spare parts, but able to rebuild as complete bike ) I live in Aus. moving to thai to get married to thai lady and stay atleast 3 years. Any input greatly appreciated, thanks.

Guest IT Manager

It can be done. Last successful one, 3 ships, 3 recipients, 3 containers. Still took 6 months to get out of Customs and they were 2 days from confiscating it, as an imported motorcycle.

Nightmare. Don't do it. Buy something here and sell when you are going.

I have a 2002 Yamaha Dragstar XVS1100A Classic Cruiser and was wondering about import duties.

Would someone be able to tell me how much duty/tax is involved, for example, am I looking at 50% mark-up or whatever (Hopefully not luxury car tax, which is astronomical in Thailand), if I want to import my motorcycle from overseas.

I'm not worried about trying to usurp the authorties and carry this out behind their backs, as I want to do it in a bonafide/legal way. I already have shipping and package fees sorted out, if I decide to ship it pending on import taxes...

If it is around 40-50% of current market value, then I am prepared to pay the tax, as this bike is too valuable to me to let go, otherwise it will have to stay out of country.

Please no "your crazy" answers, just some valid replies.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Merry X-Mas,

Garry

Here is some useful info regarding import of cars and motorbikes:

http://www.thai-la.net/legalize/car-impt.htm

Thanks for the replies George & Dr Pat Pong and for the informative link George. After reading the info, I might have a talk to the local Yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai and see if they could help me out with the import of a used vehicle, but under their control.

Could be a cheaper method, if possible.

Cheers mate,

Garry

Guest IT Manager
Here is some useful info regarding import of cars and motorbikes:

http://www.thai-la.net/legalize/car-impt.htm

Thanks for the replies George & Dr Pat Pong and for the informative link George. After reading the info, I might have a talk to the local Yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai and see if they could help me out with the import of a used vehicle, but under their control.

Could be a cheaper method, if possible.

Cheers mate,

Garry

Hi Garry,

Talk to Big Bike in CM.