"e" Tickets

loong

In the past, when booking online, I have seen the option of e tickets, but no explanation of what they are.

I assumed that they were maybe only for travel agents.

I now see them mentioned in another thread.

Is it something that arrives by email and you print it off?

Is it an actual ticket or do you have to take to the airline office to exchange it (not much good if the office is closed at the time of your flight).

Thanks

In the past, when booking online, I have seen the option of e tickets, but no explanation of what they are.

Is it an actual ticket or do you have to take to the airline office to exchange it (not much good if the office is closed at the time of your flight).

Thanks

E-Ticket means Electronic Ticket and has become the norm for International travel in the past 5 years. There is no paper ticket issued as everything is in the airlines computer and no paper is needed other than your printed flight itinerary which validates your E-Ticket purchase. There is a Record-Locator number on the itinerary which gives the computer address for your reservation. I have traveled in and out of Thailand as such for 5 years now and additional domestically on TG on E-Tickets - I love them and you never have to worry about losing or misplacing the old paper tickets anymore.

Thanks

I like them too! Another good thing is that the confirmation form and Record Locator number can be sent directly to your E-mail address immediately after purchase. You can save that message in one of your files or send it to someone else if you want to. You can print up a paper copy whenever you want to. As long as you have access to the internet you can always retrieve that Record Locator number. Some airlines now charge an additional fee for paper tickets too!

One drawback, although minor, if your flight has mechanical problems or something else wrong, and you need to switch to a different airline it is a little more difficult without a paper ticket. In that case you have to get the original airline with the broke airplane to intercede for you. Still works but a with a little more effort.

It's also helpful to print your boarding pass at home before your flight. Saves waiting in a long line. Also choose your seats ahead of time and you won't get the seats that don't recline or some other lousy seat.

I like e-tickets. I don't bother to print anything with e-tickets because the airline doesn't ask for it so it is completely paperless. The way it works is you show up at the counter, the airline asks for your passport, and they bring up your record automatically by your name. I do jot down the record locator just in case, but have never needed even that to date.

A word to the wise....

E - Tickets??? Do not ever..ever.. use them... despite the cheap tickets advertised

I have had the most unbelievable conversations with their customer service (example... "I don't care who you complain to...they will believe us not you") when they issued incorrect tickets.

Fortunately...I have an email trail

Suffice it to say....Trading Standards, having seen the evidence, are now taking a very close interest. Ohh and of course ABTA (Travel agents investigating Travel Agents...hohum...but I will follow "procedures") and a quick call to my credit card company to grab the money back. Ohhh...and IATA who they have to pass procedures quality checks with.

I rebooked with Ebookers while this mess is sorted... cos the missis will get out her rusty knife if I am not back "home" as promised...

Don't you love 'em? (Thai ladies not travel agents).....

A word to the wise....

E - Tickets???  Do not ever..ever.. use them... despite the cheap tickets advertised

I have been all over the world on E-tickets and never had a problem.

Sorry I mistyped....I was referring to a specific travel agency and posted in the wrong place.

E-Tickets are great..I wish Thai would do them for the International flights as well as the internal flights

I agree that E-tickets are great. I think it's a good idea to print off the details before heading to the airport in case their computer system is down. At the same time if you lose the paper or their system is down, you are never more than 5 mins away from an Internet terminal where you can get the details from your email ... presuming that you didn't delete the email!

If you lose the paper, the Internet is down and the airline's computer system is down, you will have a problem. But in that unlikely scenario you'd be better going home as the airport will probably be in a situation of meltdown anyway. :o