Thai Cabinet To Consider Approving Pricey Military Gift List

webfact

Cabinet to consider approving pricey military gift list

By The Nation

The Army has finalised its weapons shopping list, and is expected to seek Cabinet approval for the billions of baht it will cost by next month, before the House of Representatives is dissolved ahead of a general election.

The biggest item will be 200 new medium tanks to replace, on a unit-by-unit basis, vintage US M41 tanks. The specifications of the new tanks have not been officially provided, but the main condition is that they must still be commissioned by the army of the manufacturing country.

Another 82 BTR3-E1 wheeled armoured personnel carriers, made in Ukraine and worth Bt4 billion, are to be handed over to the Army, and a further 121 BTR3-E1s, worth Bt5 billion, will be purchased in a later phase.

There are 14 BTR3-E1s currently in Thailand. Four are being disassembled and studied by the Army's Weapons Production Department, and 10 have been commissioned with a 2nd Army Division unit based in Prachin Buri.

A demonstration of the BTR3-E1 APCs is planned for some time in the next few months, reportedly to deter media criticism of the vehicles.

Three Russian-made medium Mi-17V5 helicopters, worth Bt994 million, are also on the list, to replace ageing US-made CH-47 Chinooks, for which maintenance and obtaining spare parts has become difficult and expensive.

Three more US-made UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters will also be bought at a cost of Bt2 billion.

The Royal Thai Air Force will get another six Swedish-made Gripen jet fighters, worth Bt16 billion, in the next two years. The first six, which cost Thailand

Bt19 billion, arrived in February.

A number of rescue helicopters are also being sought by the RTAF, as those currently in use have proved less than fully capable of helping in disasters.

Support and radar systems currently being used with US-made F-16 fighter jets will be integrated into new systems coming with the Gripen fighters, to make the different aircraft work together, the RTAF said in its purchase request. It has not yet said when the integration will take place or how much it will cost.

The weapons shopping lists of both the Army and the Air Force are being considered by the Defence Council, which is expected to approve them before submitting the combined bottom line to the Cabinet for approval. This is expected to happen by next month, so approval can be given before the coming House dissolution, to be announced by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The Navy is also pushing for Cabinet endorsement of projects that require funding of more than Bt16 billion, to buy six used submarines and to upgrade two of its frigates, the Taksin and the Naresuan, at a cost of Bt7.5 billion.

Plans involve equipping the ships with anti-submarine systems, aviation-defence units and additional weapons.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-06

Billions and billions wasted while people continue to live in absolutely shocking poverty and several untouchable families horde great sums of wealth.

:bah:

Indeed, those Billions would make such a huge difference to the millions which live on the poverty lines, job creation, debt reduction, especially for many state hospitals, education opportunities and development would be far better causes. The Thai miliatry is in desperate need of structural reform, less generals, more transparency and accounability.

45 billion baht would provide an awful lot of schools, hospitals, roads, employment schemes, agricultural co-ops, poverty alleviation projects, humanitarian aid for refugees,etc. But who cares about that. The obvious and imminent threat of invasion from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, and the sea gypsies, is much more important.

I am intrigued by the timing of these requests by both the army and navy, as what happens if this is not approved before house disolution ?....it almost looks like the services are concerned are saying approve these budgets or we will not support you.

Or is it just me reading between the lines too much ?

I am intrigued by the timing of these requests by both the army and navy, as what happens if this is not approved before house disolution ?....it almost looks like the services are concerned are saying approve these budgets or we will not support you.

Fits the bill ..... or are there any rumours of Thailand going to war with anyone in the near future?

Fits the bill ..... or are there any rumours of Thailand going to war with anyone in the near future?

as far as i can see "one civil war .... R and Y "....

This military backed dictatorship never say "NO" to any robbers in uniform. In a few years time when new blood is spilled in the streets the likes of Abhisit will tell us, that they really did everything to pull the countryside out of poverty, unfortunately there was no money for 4G systems, no money for an upgrade to the internet, the schools had to do it with overpriced computers purchased by crooks like the Banharn and the Newin families and there was no money for decent education or healthcare. The military took it all. They expected to be overrun by Hun Sen, Burma or Laos.

When do the Thai people wake up and lock all the generals up in a Thai Guantanamo and throw away the keys. The arms will be used to suppress the Thai people and for nothing else.

This military backed dictatorship never say "NO" to any robbers in uniform. In a few years time when new blood is spilled in the streets the likes of Abhisit will tell us, that they really did everything to pull the countryside out of poverty, unfortunately there was no money for 4G systems, no money for an upgrade to the internet, the schools had to do it with overpriced computers purchased by crooks like the Banharn and the Newin families and there was no money for decent education or healthcare. The military took it all. They expected to be overrun by Hun Sen, Burma or Laos.

When do the Thai people wake up and lock all the generals up in a Thai Guantanamo and throw away the keys. The arms will be used to suppress the Thai people and for nothing else.

Mostly, undeveloped countries have their leaders from the top rank military....explicitly Latin America and the neighbor, Myanmar

As said above, the timing just prior to parliament dissolving, means that it's probably just a way for the Army / Navy to sell it's votes to the current government.

Also if this government declines, and is ousted in the election, then they can submit the same proposal again to a new government, so they've got 2 opportunities to line their pockets.

This proposed purchase is sorely needed in order to see off the clear and present threats posed by Cambodia and it's superbly equipped armed forces and of course not forgetting the Laotian Navy who's fleet of adapted fishing boats are now seen as a threat which can only be met by aircraft carriers and multiple submarines. I think its high time that the Thai Army also created a few more Generals to add to the thousands there are currently dealing with all the Wars they are involved in.

As said above, the timing just prior to parliament dissolving, means that it's probably just a way for the Army / Navy to sell it's votes to the current government.

Also if this government declines, and is ousted in the election, then they can submit the same proposal again to a new government, so they've got 2 opportunities to line their pockets.

Most of the stuff they want is just junk that would be useless, if Thailand ever had to fight a real war. It would be cheaper if the government just paid the kickbacks straight to the generals without having to buy the toys. Obviously the fattest commissions are paid on obselete and low quality gear that no one else wants to buy. The generals' tear jerking cant about their patriotism is a joke when they are all pushing and shoving each other to get snouts into the trough. n It is surprising that Thais still stand for this charade.

Most of the stuff they want is just junk that would be useless, if Thailand ever had to fight a real war. It would be cheaper if the government just paid the kickbacks straight to the generals without having to buy the toys. Obviously the fattest commissions are paid on obselete and low quality gear that no one else wants to buy. The generals' tear jerking cant about their patriotism is a joke when they are all pushing and shoving each other to get snouts into the trough. n It is surprising that Thais still stand for this charade.

Not really, most Thais I have spoken to actually belief this charade, just look at their love of Chevrolets and SUVs.

The tanks and APC's are for riot control. They will probably have to roll to the Airport after the next election.

The rest of the purchase makes sense, in case of disaster relief.

I hope the jet fighters can be fitted with photography equipment, to keep a good eye on Myanmar. Myanmar is currently in a build-up phase.

Used Subs sound kind of scary,though. A year from now, we will probably be reading how a Thai sub has crashed into something or someone. I hope they remember to close the screen door!

The tanks and APC's are for riot control. They will probably have to roll to the Airport after the next election.

The rest of the purchase makes sense, in case of disaster relief.

I hope the jet fighters can be fitted with photography equipment, to keep a good eye on Myanmar. Myanmar is currently in a build-up phase.

Used Subs sound kind of scary,though. A year from now, we will probably be reading how a Thai sub has crashed into something or someone. I hope they remember to close the screen door!

the last one they will never emerge ........................cos' they never has one before.... it will take years to get 'em well trained..... is that easy?

"Welcome to the real world"......Neo.

Saw this happen everyday of my life, 'tis why I left The Unemployment States of America, or

should I say, The United States of Amnesia? This is The New World Order in effect.

"Tighten your seat-belt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye."

Billions and billions wasted while people continue to live in absolutely shocking poverty and several untouchable families horde great sums of wealth.

:bah:

This is the way of the world.....get used to it, or get out there and do something about it.

Not that you can do much about it here, as we're mostly immigrants with no legal rights, but,

talk to Thais, educate them with your thoughts....our chatter here is simply that, chatter.

Spread the word of wisdom you all possess, like the words here on THIS post. Viva La Revolution!!

Mostly, undeveloped countries have their leaders from the top rank military....explicitly Latin America and the neighbor, Myanmar

r284942524.jpg

Thai air force personnel load food and relief supplies for the heavy floods in south Thailand at the military airport in Bangkok March 30, 2011. Severe flooding and mudslides in southern Thailand have killed 21 people, stranded thousands of tourists and threatened to delay shipments of rubber in the world's largest rubber-producing country, authorities said on Wednesday.

Reuters

capt40f78fd4281540ceb9ccea9d3d780bdc-40f78fd4281540ceb9ccea9d3d780bdc-0.jpg

Thai navy officers evacuated tourists stranded on Koh Tao island by helicopter following heavy storms and rain hit southern part of the country in Surat Thani province, Thailand Wednesday, March 30, 2011.

AP

r1879921683.jpg

Tourists are evacuated with the help of the Thai Navy from Koh Tao Island after heavy storms in Surat Thani, south of Bangkok March 30, 2011.

Reuters

r2307010090.jpg

Foreign tourists evacuated from flooded Koh Tao Island arrives at the Royal Thai Navy base in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok March 31, 2011. Severe flooding and mudslides in southern Thailand have killed 16 people, cut off land and air transportations and delayed shipments of at least 50,000 tonnes of rubber in the world's largest rubber-producing country, authorities said on Thursday. Thailand's navy sent four vessels including an amphibious landing craft with on-board helicopters to the region to deliver supplies and rescue tourists and villagers in areas severely hit.

Reuters

r1927640371.jpg

A soldier carries an old woman to a helicopter to be moved from her district, which was damaged by a flash flood, in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, south of Bangkok April 2, 2011.

Reuters

Thai air force personnel load food and relief supplies for the heavy floods in south Thailand at the military airport in Bangkok March 30, 2011. Severe flooding and mudslides in southern Thailand have killed 21 people, stranded thousands of tourists and threatened to delay shipments of rubber in the world's largest rubber-producing country, authorities said on Wednesday.

Reuters

Thai navy officers evacuated tourists stranded on Koh Tao island by helicopter following heavy storms and rain hit southern part of the country in Surat Thani province, Thailand Wednesday, March 30, 2011.

AP

Tourists are evacuated with the help of the Thai Navy from Koh Tao Island after heavy storms in Surat Thani, south of Bangkok March 30, 2011.

Reuters

Foreign tourists evacuated from flooded Koh Tao Island arrives at the Royal Thai Navy base in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok March 31, 2011. Severe flooding and mudslides in southern Thailand have killed 16 people, cut off land and air transportations and delayed shipments of at least 50,000 tonnes of rubber in the world's largest rubber-producing country, authorities said on Thursday. Thailand's navy sent four vessels including an amphibious landing craft with on-board helicopters to the region to deliver supplies and rescue tourists and villagers in areas severely hit.

Reuters

[A soldier carries an old woman to a helicopter to be moved from her district, which was damaged by a flash flood, in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, south of Bangkok April 2, 2011.

Reuters

Lets indeed look at the whole picture

This is the way of the world.....get used to it, or get out there and do something about it.

Not that you can do much about it here, as we're mostly immigrants with no legal rights, but,

talk to Thais, educate them with your thoughts....our chatter here is simply that, chatter.

Spread the word of wisdom you all possess, like the words here on THIS post. Viva La Revolution!!

I know they need improvement on many things.... Me think if I have spare time I will educate them ... help them out... I told me friends let's do a volunteer work...

cheers...

I know they need improvement on many things.... Me think if I have spare time I will educate them ... help them out... I told me friends let's do a volunteer work...

cheers...

Need a Visa :(

jb1

r284942524.jpg

Reuters

AP

r1879921683.jpg

Reuters

r2307010090.jpg

Reuters

r1927640371.jpg

A soldier carries an old woman to a helicopter to be moved from her district, which was damaged by a flash flood, in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, south of Bangkok April 2, 2011.

Reuters

You forgot one;

Thai Special Forces pose for photograph before being transported by one of the new Thai Navy Submarines

to an undisclosed location on a secret mission

600-submarine-2.jpg

Reuters

AP

Reuters

Reuters

[A soldier carries an old woman to a helicopter to be moved from her district, which was damaged by a flash flood, in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, south of Bangkok April 2, 2011.

Reuters

It's not the full picture.It's a very partial picture.Everybody welcomes the rescue capability of the Thai armed forces but it's a tiny part of what they are about.

In the context of the thread subject matter, I call it cheap propaganda from someone who has lost the argument on all other grounds - ie the corruption, the interference in politics, the business and media interests, the incompetence and the civilian massacres at Tak Bai and elsewhere.

Reuters

AP

Reuters

Reuters

Reuters

Yes, it seemed necessary as the other posts seemed focused on providing only a partial picture.

r284942524.jpg

Reuters

AP

r1879921683.jpg

Reuters

r2307010090.jpg

Reuters

r1927640371.jpg

Reuters

You forgot one;

You're right, I could have included the Thai operations in Africa last week...

r91638953.jpg

Lieutenant Vittaya Jiraanankul of Thailand examines a sick child in Buru, over 50 km south of Mukjar where the Thai UNAMID team is based, March 30, 2011. Many children are suffering from serious diseases and infections due to the lack of health care in the village.

Reuters