Clarification On Wife Support "o" Visa.

i just read this on a website but wasn't sure if its true:

Persons married to a Thai national must have at least THB. 400,000 in a Thai bank account OR be receiving at least THB. 29,000 per month ( presumably from offshore sources or as income working, with a work permit of course.

from what i read everywhere else i was thinking its 400k in a bank account, period. but it seems if you have monthly offshore income that counts as well? :o

it seems like its "either or". one of them.. i just read it as well on http://www.thaianxiety.com/life04.asp (very bottom):

Married to a Thai Visa

From the Phuket Gazette spotted on ThaiVisa.com

A Phuket Immigration official has confirmed that new financial requirements for one-year extensions to stay in Thailand on the basis of being married to a Thai or being the legal guardian of a Thai child will apply to both first-time applications and to renewals.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, the Deputy of Inspector of Phuket Provincial Immigration Office (PPIO), told the Gazette, The current minimum requirement is proof of 200,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account or an income of 20,000 baht a month. That will double on July 10 to either 400,000 baht in an account or an income of 40,000 baht a month for a one-year ‘marriage’ or ‘guardianship’ extension.

He stressed that applicants may not “mix” the two systems – applications must be made either on the basis of bank deposits or on the basis of income.

Its definately 400k in the thai bank account or 40k deposited in a thai bank account each month or a combination of both. The statement quoted in the post above must be a couple of years old as those are the old amounts required and have been upgraded since.

Each immigration from what I have seen so far have their own interpretation of the rules as such. From my experience the more you have in your bank account will help you even if you can show the 40k deposit per month.

When you get your letter or stat dec from your embassy verifying your monthly income a good idea is to get that translated into Thai as I had considerable trouble getting the Phi Bun Mangsahan immigration people to understand mine. Just a tip to save you some hassle.

i just read this on a website but wasn't sure if its true:

Persons married to a Thai national must have at least THB. 400,000 in a Thai bank account OR be receiving at least THB. 29,000 per month ( presumably from  offshore sources or as income working, with a work permit of course.

from what i read everywhere else i was thinking its 400k in a bank account, period. but it seems if you have monthly offshore income that counts as well?  :o

Hi Rainman

I went to Suan Phlu 2 weeks ago and this time I had more than the required 400,000 baht in the bank. However last year I did not but I have 2 UK pensions (which I pay tax on) and got a letter from each of them stating the gross amounts. I took them to the British embassy for the letter and took them to Suan Phlu with the rest of the paperwork and it was OK and no translations needed.

Please note that I went to Suan Phlu in Bangkok which is about 400km from my place and I find that they are friendly and helpful and very efficient with the new system. I actually went twice as I had forgotten a couple of documents plus my wife who was in the hospital looking after our son. They gave me a 2 week extension before she had to be there.

In other immigration centres I have no knowledge of their ways of doing things but I do know Bangkok fairly well now.

Hope this is of use to you.

Hi Rainman

I went to Suan Phlu 2 weeks ago and this time I had more than the required 400,000 baht in the bank. However last year I did not but I have 2 UK pensions (which I pay tax on) and got a letter from each of them stating the gross amounts. I took them to the British embassy for the letter and took them to Suan Phlu with the rest of the paperwork and it was OK and no translations needed.

Please note that I went to Suan Phlu in Bangkok which is about 400km from my place and I find that they are friendly and helpful and very efficient with the new system. I actually went twice as I had forgotten a couple of documents plus my wife who was in the hospital looking after our son. They gave me a 2 week extension before she had to be there.

In other immigration centres I have no knowledge of their ways of doing things but I do know Bangkok fairly well now.

Hope this is of use to you.

Thanks for your advice. I guess the best would be if i go ask Immigration in Suan Phlu directly? Assuming they would know the requirements ...but that's not always the case as i found with Bangkok Immigration. :o I don't intend to place 400k in my Thai bank account for the moment, but i have been getting 100k+ every month deposited into my Thai bank account regularely from my offshore business for the past 1 1/2 years, so i assume showing that would be proof enough? With maybe 200k in the bank account?

getting married there rainy?

Sometime this year or next year :D

HI , can some one please confirm this ... or 40k deposited in a thai bank account each month or a combination of both...?

The 40K does it have to be deposited into a Thai bank each month, or can you show your British bank statement showing the amount going into your account every month, ...?

Thanks .... Mumbo

I believe it can NOT be a combination of both.

Trust me on this one rainman. It is either 400,000 in the bank and no income, or around 40,000 a month income, OR a combination.

The only thing to beware of on the income side is that the exchange rate that Immigration use is less than the current daily exchange rates. The probably set the rate every 6 months or 1 year for the coming period.

Also if you are going the income route make sure that you go to your embassy and get a letter from them confirming the amount.

The British embassy charged 1300 baht last year and 1780 baht I think this year.

Edited for spelling.

A new laptop and I think it spells in Azerbaijani or Urdu every so often.

Edited by billd766

I believe it can NOT be a combination of both.

Trust me on this one rainman. It is either 400,000 in the bank and no income, or around 40,000 a month income, OR a combination.

The only thing to beware of on the income side is that the exchange rate that Immigration use is less than the current daily exchange rates. The probably set the rate every 6 months or 1 year for the coming period.

Also if you are going the income route make sure that you go to your embassy and get a letter from them confirming the amount.

The British embassy charged 1300 baht last year and 1780 baht I think this year.

Edited for spelling.

I'm with you on this Billy :o

Edited for spelling.

thanks for the clarification :o i definitely meet those requirements, been depositing 100k+ every month for the last 1 1/2 years at the beginning of the month to my Bangkok Bank account, so that should clarify their doubts (if they have any) that its regularely coming in. do you have an idea how my embassy would confirm the amounts? through my Bankok Bank statements or through a letter from my employer (well, my own company that is) confirming the income? and note i get my income from a different country than my country of citizenship, but i hold permanent residence in that country as well.

Edited by rainman

I just got back from talking to Immigration in Soi Suan Phlu and they stated that they quote..."think" both 400k in the bank account and an income of 40k+ per month is required to get the non-imm O marriage visa. Did they just confuse something or....?! Because i thought it was either of them.

I just got back from talking to Immigration in Soi Suan Phlu and they stated that they quote..."think" both 400k in the bank account and an income of 40k+ per month is required to get the non-imm O marriage visa. Did they just confuse something or....?! Because i thought it was either of them.

The ladies who usually sit at desk 20 and 21 (for european non business) will give you an A5 form with everything they require printed in both Thai and English and that should explain it.

I think I have one somewhere and if I have I will scan it and send it to you.

Your previous post did not say which embassy you would use but basically if you take your bank statements and a letter from your company it will probably be OK.

I hope that this helps you.

Thanks for the advice, i'll go again and check those counters. I told them that i read that it was "either" 400k in the bank "or" a minimum of 40k monthly income from an offshore account and she kept claiming that i would need "both" the 400k in the bank account *and* an income of 40k plus. That can't be right though, from what i've heard from others...

So in order to get the Non-O visa you need the money in a Thai bank account. But to get the Thai bank account you need a work permit...correct?

If I'm married and spend part of the year in BKK on a business Non-Imm B but want to change to a Non-Imm O now that I'm recently married, how do I go about it without the work permit?

So in order to get the Non-O visa you need the money in a Thai bank account.  But to get the Thai bank account you need a work permit...correct?

If I'm married and spend part of the year in BKK on a business Non-Imm B but want to change to a Non-Imm O now that I'm recently married, how do I go about it without the work permit?

no, you don't. i have 4 bank accounts on different banks, all of them without a work permit.

So in order to get the Non-O visa you need the money in a Thai bank account.  But to get the Thai bank account you need a work permit...correct?

1. You do not need a work permit to open a savings account at a Thai bank. If one should say no just go to the next.

2. You obtain a non immigrant O visa using your marriage certificate and perhaps a copy of your wife ID card. In Penang you can normally obtain a multi entry type valid for one year. No work permit or bank account is required for visa.

On my latest inquiry, they still claim its 400k in the bank account PLUS 40k+ income from an offshore account per month. Not either of them, but both. Perhaps this is a new rule? :o Anyone know of a good visa office that would do this paperwork and knows some about the true rules?

On my latest inquiry, they still claim its 400k in the bank account PLUS 40k+ income from an offshore account per month. Not either of them, but both. Perhaps this is a new rule?

I am pretty sure it is one or the other or both; income and bank funds.

What may be the confusion is that even though you have the income requirement met, they still want to see funds in a local bank confirmed with the (fee=200THB) bank letter. According to other experts here it is to be sure you are spending the money here and are clearly solvent. Someone without any bank account is suspect for possible bad faith. The amount in the account, within reason, is not important I beleive.

I ran into to this with my Ret extension renewal and had to make an extra trip back there with the letter even though my income more than qualified.

Cheers

Edited by paulfr

On my latest inquiry, they still claim its 400k in the bank account PLUS 40k+ income from an offshore account per month. Not either of them, but both. Perhaps this is a new rule?  :o Anyone know of a good visa office that would do this paperwork and knows some about the true rules?

My second non-O wifey visa extension is currently "under consideration".

I have never declared what my foreign income is. When I did my first extension last year they were concerned how could I be retired when I was just 44 years old. I had 400,000 baht in my Thai bank but no verified income.

Along with my other photocopies etc I also then wrote a hand written letter just stating that I had enough investments in my home country to provide an income that would allow my early retirement. No proof of this was asked for. 10 weeks later visa extension granted.

This year I have applied under the same assumptions. No evidence of my foreign income was asked for or provided.

The only thing that the officer said was that I should have much more than 400,000 more like 500,000 so that I can withdraw some money during the time for approval without the balance dropping below 400K. To this I laughed and showed him my Ozzie ATM card and just said, "Mai Pen Rai, I can use this".

BTW: This is at Pattaya Imm.

Hi rainman

I went on the net last night and I have got 2 websites for you to check on. The first one is the official web site but I couldn't get it to give me the full information on the support visa but that is probably my end and not theirs.

The other link is from the Sutlet group of lawyers down on Sukhumvit 36 I think between Sukhumvit and Rama 4. They confirm that it is either or a combination of both.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/

http://www.sutletgroup.com/visas.asp

I hope that this helps.

It took me 5 hours to get onto the TV today using GPRS and I will be bitching at AIS tomorrow.

It took me 5 hours to get onto the TV today using GPRS and I will be bitching at AIS tomorrow.

An awfully expensive way to surf the web (but perhaps that’s your only option in your neck of the woods)

…The first one is the official web site but I couldn't get it to give me the full information on the support visa but that is probably my end and not theirs.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/

http://www.sutletgroup.com/visas.asp

Using Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) or Mozilla Firefox?

Because of non-standard HTML code the immigration’s site has problems with many of its links in Firefox.

it is either / or for certain. But there'll be an expectation from an income only perspective there must be some savings for emergency situations.

after reading this thread, have I got this right, if I have an English pension to comply with the immigration requirments If I want to use the pension in some way with my visa application my English State pension has to be paid into a Thai Bank...? or have I got it some how mixed up...?

........... Thank you

after reading this thread, have I got this right, if I have an English pension to comply with the immigration requirments If I want to use the pension in some way with my visa application my English State pension has to be paid into a Thai Bank...? or have I got it some how mixed up...?

........... Thank you

You got it wrong. The thread is wife support O visa but if you are talking using pension for retirement you must first obtain letter from Embassy addressed to immigration that you have xxx pension and use that along with your bank account/bank letter, medical certificate to obtain extension of stay. Nothing has to be paid directly into a Thai bank account (and in most cases could not be done).