Low Average Scores In Onet This Year

Low average scores in Onet this year

By The Nation

Matthayom 6 (Grade 12) stuฌdents got low grades at the Ordinary National Educational Test (Onet) yet again, the National Institute of Educational Testing Services (NIETS) said yesterday.

Director Assoc Prof Samphan Phanphruek said the average score for basic subjects were below 50 per cent, while the average for mathematics and English language was only 14.99 and 19.22 respectively.

Samphan said students wishing to see their answer sheets can submit a request with NIETS on Friday or Saturday. Each answer sheet will cost Bt20, and will be available from April 2223.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-06

That's what you get when a country enacts a "no fail policy". How can a teacher fairly assess let alone prepare students for a test like the ONet's when ALL students pass regardless of their individual capabilities? The answer is.........:whistling:

Edited by mizzi39

As I remember from last year, many of the questions were poorly written with many possible answers that made logical sense, but only one "correct" answer for the test.

I also remember comments from some that many questions in the English section made absolutely no sense and would be difficult for even a native speaker to figure out what the answer they were looking for.

If this remained true for this years test, then I understand that the tests are horribly written and that no one could be expected to pass unless they were able to read the minds of those that wrote the tests or just got really really lucky in their guesses.

Has any one seen any of the sample questions from this years test?