Recomended Brushcutter/Grass Cutter

Honda or Stihl are the best IMHO both around 8,000.

But I bought a Chinese copy machine several years ago for about 3,000 baht. I have used it to harvest rice with a catch/sweep fixture on the end as well as for cutting grass with a normal blade. Apart from the throttle detent mechanism getting "ham fisted" by a relative the thing is still running well after hundreds of hours. A bit hard to start at times, but then which brand isnt, comes with the engine size.

If you are going to use it yourself then spend the money on a good one. Otherwise, "they" will bugger any of them on the first day given the chance.

Isaan Aussie

learned from a friend of mine. He was buying two stroke machines. The workers were either using too much oil resulting in hard starting, or NO oil mixed with the benzine which destroys the engine. I know he bought at least four different machines. I bought a four stroke Honda about six years ago and it has not refused to start and even the Thais have not been able to kill it. The dealer really tried to sell me a two stroke because he said the four stroke Honda has no power. It has plenty of power and the Honda was the right choice. Great little machine.

ADDED - The workers have managed to destroy several blades but new blades are not expensive and I can usually straighten them a couple of times before replacing them.

Edited by Gary A
  • Like 2

I've had 2 Makita 2 stroke machines for 5 years. work like a charm, take them to the local bike shop for a cleaning once a year and ALWAYS mixed my own gas for when the family is using them.

If I had to buy another I'd check with the Kubota dealer, I think they have a model where the motor is worn like a backpack, I've seen the highway workers using them. I think it would be easier on your back.

Stihl are good machines, we brought one back to CM after a trip abroad. Have not found a dealer in Chiang Mai as yet as ours need some minor repair parts, etc after 6 years of use. The plastic cutters for the Stihl head work a treat and not so prone to cutting of a toe, etc. If anyone knows of a good shop for same in Chiang Mai let me know.

Makita two stroke is best hands down. :D

High power, light on the fuel (about 2 1/2 hours continuous on one tank), and fairly ergonamic. Mine has done more than 200 full days work and still starts first pull. Sakura single rectangle solid blade also lasts the longest.

For grass (lawn) cutting and fuel economy - Honda 4 stroke.

Most high end machines are in the 8k - 8.5k bracket. They last at least 4 -5 times longer than the 3k China specials.

ADDED - The workers have managed to destroy several blades but new blades are not expensive and I can usually straighten them a couple of times before replacing them.

Be careful about straightening the cheaper blades (the high grade steel ones will not bend in the first place). The metal becomes brittle, and is liable to shatter at high speed.

One of the board members of this forum did exactly that, nearly severed his leg halfway between his ankle and knee, had to drag himself 250m to his car where his phone was, almost died from the loss of blood and still has a metal pin connecting the bone 3 years later.

Be careful about straightening the cheaper blades (the high grade steel ones will not bend in the first place). The metal becomes brittle, and is liable to shatter at high speed.

One of the board members of this forum did exactly that, nearly severed his leg halfway between his ankle and knee, had to drag himself 250m to his car where his phone was, almost died from the loss of blood and still has a metal pin connecting the bone 3 years later.

Thanks everyone for the useful advice.

Regarding the blades, those things scare the shit out of me. Someone mentioned making one from a plastic coke bottle. Is this a good idea? We are not cutting thru thick grass, it's only 4 rai.

First one I bought was a Makita backpack style with flexible spring drive(2 stroke). good reliable machine but didn`t like the handling. Harder to shift weight/power when cutting thicker grasses/brush as hands were in line with the shaft. Also no spring return throttle/trigger so no quick revving and increasing power when it was required. A well engineered machine nevertheless.

Last 7 years have been usung a Robin 2 stroke traditional style and have been very happy with it in all conditions. Cant remember the cost as it was way back.

Thai cousin came to help me one day and brought his cheap Chinese version. Absolute rubbish. No power, poorly balanced so the blade end vibrated when being used causing me to only be able to work in short bursts. Wasn`t the blade as it was fine on my machine.

Regardles of which type you buy, you get what you pay for.

I guess any one of the top 3 would be ok. Honda,Makita or Robin.

Don`t know if Honda still do 2 strokes but in my experience they have slightly more power over 4 stroke.

Hope this helps.

C35B. :wai:

Thanks everyone for the useful advice.

Regarding the blades, those things scare the shit out of me. Someone mentioned making one from a plastic coke bottle. Is this a good idea? We are not cutting thru thick grass, it's only 4 rai.

Any type of blade that cuts well can also cause serious injuries even if the cutters are string, plastic or steel cable. I think a sharp steel blade cuts much faster and better. I had a string cutter and discovered that the string doesn't last long and the replacement spools are expensive.

Not likely relevant but at home on the farm in the west we have a brush cutter that attaches to the 3 point hitch on the tractor. It's called a bush hog squealer, had a bunch of slip clutches that made a racket, hence the name.

It's brilliant, takes down brush and small trees near the size of your wrist. Don't remember the manufacturer but it was bright red, maybe a Massy? Doubt it's available in Thailand but this thread brought it back to memory.

I have had a Mitsubishi TU 33 2 stroke for a couple of years now and I mix the fuel myself.

I mostly do my own work for a couple of hours in the morning before it gets too hot.

The Mitsu was about 3k baht and it cuts most of the grass and scrub around the 10 rai we have and if I need to cut something thicker I tend to use a circular saw blade.

The Mitsu starts OK most of the time and runs very well and sometimes the fuel runs out of the overflow pipe for no peculiar reason. I take it to the local village "fixer" who does a very good job a and service costs me about 80 baht and more if he replaces anything.

I always wear safety glasses and lately I found some footballers shin pads which I use to protect my kneecaps plus some good quality steel toe capped rubber boots.

It has plenty of power and I turned the throttle through 90 degrees as I found it easier to use.

Safety googlies, gloves, and heavy chaps give good protection from rocks, and other bits which may come back at you. Stihl and others make and sells chaps for those using chain saws which can double for protection from the weed whackers. Have never convinced the workers to wear anything but the gloves, steel toed shoes were dismissed quickly.

I have yet to see anyone injured (knock on wood), but the wife takes care of hiring, pay, etc so maybe I have never heard about the injuries. Doubt if I would as I made such a fuss about using the equipment that we bought and provided.

Safety googlies, gloves, and heavy chaps give good protection from rocks, and other bits which may come back at you. Stihl and others make and sells chaps for those using chain saws which can double for protection from the weed whackers. Have never convinced the workers to wear anything but the gloves, steel toed shoes were dismissed quickly.

I have yet to see anyone injured (knock on wood), but the wife takes care of hiring, pay, etc so maybe I have never heard about the injuries. Doubt if I would as I made such a fuss about using the equipment that we bought and provided.

I forgot to add that I wear heavy duty chrome leather builders gloves that I bought in NZ along with the wellies.

At the end of my work for the day I also clean it, sharpen the blade as we seem to have a lot of stones and refuel it ready for the next time.

I also have a Honda 4 stroke on 2 motorcycle wheels which is very good on flat ground. I replaced the original blades with a pair made from the rear spring of an old pick up truck but I had to drill out the original bolts and use 2 inch by 3/4 bolts with spring and flat washers on both sides of the blades and double nuts on top.

Now that will cut most things down but it is a bitch to work with on a slope.

I managed to do about 2 hours out the front this morning as it is getting hot again and the sweat was just rolling off me and managed nearly 1 rai before I quit.

I have about 4 more days of 2 hours each before I finish the front.

To be fair I am fat and 66 years old.

The problems I find is that the shaft length is just right for Thais but a little short for me and I have to stoop a bit to get a good cut which makes my back, neck and shoulders ache.

Honda or Stihl are the best IMHO both around 8,000.

But I bought a Chinese copy machine several years ago for about 3,000 baht. I have used it to harvest rice with a catch/sweep fixture on the end as well as for cutting grass with a normal blade. Apart from the throttle detent mechanism getting "ham fisted" by a relative the thing is still running well after hundreds of hours. A bit hard to start at times, but then which brand isnt, comes with the engine size.

If you are going to use it yourself then spend the money on a good one. Otherwise, "they" will bugger any of them on the first day given the chance.

Isaan Aussie

I had a Stihl that lasted for 8 years (German technology rules!) but when trying to find the bits to repair it, I had to order from Germany. Bought Hondas after that and any Thai shop can fix them with their hammer / screwdriver techniques.

• 1 year later...

Hey Billd, you're good man. I'm 55 and only a little rotund and I am taking a couple of hours to do half of what you're doing. Rock on.

Swissie, free fertilizer with the goats but they'd eat the wife's vedgie garden too.

Seems like I've gotta invest in somethng like the 4 stroke honda as the rainy season is making the the grass grow at the start before I get to the end. Just gotta find somewhere to buy one now!

My secret here?

Cheap chinese two stroke with plenty of spare plugs. Large diameter slasher blade.

Back in Oz, I had a Stihl for years, did heaps of work with that but like all small petrol engines it needed servicing. So far the Khun Chin model is four years old and still doing the job!

My little four stroke Honda is still going strong. There is a little steel cup that helps hold the blade on and keeps the blade from being flat on the ground. It wore through. Above the blade is a plastic guard that keeps things from wrapping around the shaft. It was broken. I asked my wife to stop at the dealer and buy new parts. She came home with a complete new angle drive including the parts I needed. The dealer told her that our Honda was too old and they changed the design to what she bought. It was easy to change so no problem. I think the price for the entire assembly was about 450 baht. It says on the box, "Made in Japan".

I bought a Chinese brushcutter last year with the flexible drive shaft and it works great and no problems so far.

I used to use the biggest steel biggest steel blade I could find but about a month ago I found an old nylon cord head lurking in the back corner of the shed so I tried that out.

It works well do I relaced it with a genuine Honda had and that works better.

However that is only correct IF I am working an area that is fairly clear but where it hasn't been cleared for months the steel blade cuts thick stems better.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, guys. I nearly bought the Honda but the repairmen up in the mountains don't seem to want to be involved and recommend a honda shop. Bought a mitsubishi T200 and after a couple of weeks of hard work, I am pleased with it. Starts easy, cuts well, a bit heavyish and I would have liked a longer shaft, 6foot plus lads have hassle with Thai focussed products but all in all it was a good buy. Let's see how it goes.

7000 baht.

I bought a Chinese brushcutter last year with the flexible drive shaft and it works great and no problems so far.

I used to use the biggest steel biggest steel blade I could find but about a month ago I found an old nylon cord head lurking in the back corner of the shed so I tried that out.

It works well do I relaced it with a genuine Honda had and that works better.

However that is only correct IF I am working an area that is fairly clear but where it hasn't been cleared for months the steel blade cuts thick stems better.

The flexi drive shaft broke last week, a Thai guy was using it and the replacement flexi drive is about 800 baht which isn't too bad as good replacement blades are about 250 baht.