Do We (Westerners) Still Matter ?

JurgenG

The elite in Thailand realise that it is in their interest to keep the rest of the population un-educated about foreign culture and ways.

That way the 'average' Thai believes every other nationality to be 'inferior' without being able to articulate why - a bit like every other nationality, but taken further.

As a previous poster pointed out, we don't matter - but that is right. It is their country, not ours.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The elite in Thailand realise that it is in their interest to keep the rest of the population un-educated about foreign culture and ways.

1) How could they possibly pull that off?

2) Do you think, in spite of virtually everything around you telling you otherwise, that they have succeeded in this supposed effort?

In reference to "the Chulalongkorn era of siwalai" : you don't think that those elite molded and shaped the culture in significant ways? Obviously the changes were not complete or universal and the lowers socio-economic/rural population was less affected (just as now) but even in tangible things like laws and infrastructure were making an impact well beyond mere fashion and ideas. Shoes, hats, last names, monogamy...a lot of that sort of thing was mandatory not just fashion.

A bit of a myth {reference to the great influence of this period} of the trickle down influence theory. The Western ways were very much closed to those certain circles.....even political, civil, and legal infrastructures were very slow to take hold throughout the Kingdom. It really wasn't until decades later, under Phibun, that a sort of forced upon infrastructure took place universally. Even today, Thais remain Thais.

1) How could they possibly pull that off?

2) Do you think, in spite of virtually everything around you telling you otherwise, that they have succeeded in this supposed effort?

Spent much time talking and socializing with Thais lately, Joe?

Great posts on history. Noty sure what the last one was supposed to imply. I have to go for a while but I wanted to give you a reply even if rushed.

...even political, civil, and legal infrastructures were very slow to take hold throughout the Kingdom. It really wasn't until decades later, under Phibun, that a sort of forced upon infrastructure took place universally. Even today, Thais remain Thais.

As I said, it wasn't universal. And Phibun too, as you know, was pre-war.

Of course Thais are still Thais. I've always argued -- including on this forum (in one fairly lengthy and intense debate) -- that the fact that Thai culture has incorporated many different cultures (as has many another country's) doesn't make it or them any less "Thai".

Spent much time talking and socializing with Thais lately, Joe?

Not much. Just every day, to a greater lesser extent, for a couple decades. Why?

Edited by SteeleJoe

I matter to my thai family, my neighbors and the people I interact with on a daily basis. I respect them and their culture and they respect me. That's all that matters.

Well said Schooner!

Max2010

I matter to my thai family, my neighbors and the people I interact with on a daily basis. I respect them and their culture and they respect me. That's all that matters.

Not to be conscious of one's stranger status would be helpful in many cases. If you don't consider yourself "foreign", that body language might come across a positive factor in interactions with Thais.

Not to be conscious of one's stranger status would be helpful in many cases. If you don't consider yourself "foreign", that body language might come across a positive factor in interactions with Thais.

Very interesting (and, I suspect, astute) observation. Though I would add it even goes beyond body language but perhaps affects everything you project consciously or unconsciously. (And this is where knowledge of the language and culture could, I think, make a big difference: I imagine it would hard not to be constantly aware of your own foreignness if you were constantly surrounded by people speaking a language you don't understand and doing things that had no cultural context for you.)

Hey wait...I thought I was replying on the "Farang" thread (to me what you've said works perfectly there) Anyway, intelligent observation IMO.