Progressive Churches In Bangkok

granuaile

I am looking to locate progressive churches in Bangkok that are accepting of LGBT people and possibly willing to marry a same-sex couple, as I have two friends who want to make that commitment, as well as many Thai Christian friends who daily face tremendous pressure because of their sexuality. I have been looking specifically for churches associated with the United Church of Christ or the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as in the US they are very progressive denominations (not to be confused with more conservative churches with similar names). I know the Episcopal Church in the US as well is very progressive, but not sure about the Anglican church here in BKK since the domain in Singapore has strained relations with the church in America.

Is anyone aware of churches in Bangkok with a progressive attitude on LGBT matters?

If you want an English speaking congregation your choices are very limited. I would approach Christ Church. Even though they are pretty traditional (or were the last time we worshipped there) they are probably your best bet. Their website does talk about "diversity", which can be a code word for inclusive. I doubt that any of the evangelical churches would be interested, and they are pretty much all Thai language anyway, AFAIK.

Otherwise the happy couple might have to take a short holiday in a friendlier place. There used to be an inclusive English speaking congregation in Hong Kong (I think it was called Metropolitan Church), but it seems to have disappeared. I looked and found "Free Community Church" in Singapore, of all places, which openly states that it welcomes singles, couples, and families of all sexual identities.

Good luck, Granuaile. I'm a Catholic, so can't really offer any help; just to say that my partner (Thai, Buddhist if you call it that) and I would like to 'make it official', but we have no way to do so in this country. It's odd really that a country which is so lax in its attitudes to marriage nevertheless still does not allow gays to have at least a civil union.

I belonged to MCC for quite a while ( Metropolitan Community Church) in the US. They are also an international denomination and probably your best bet. They must have an outpost somewhere in Asia. MCC is a specifically LGBT Christian Church founded quite a few decades ago for the purpose of serving gay Christians.

I also belonged to the United Church of Christ in New England. They went through the "Open and Affirming" process while I was a member. "Open and Affirming" is what they call their full acceptance of GLBT members and clergy and a "catch phrase" to look for as you search. I worked for a lesbian UCC minister and attended services with a gay pastor ( in an open relationship with his partner.)

Unitarians have always been supportive of LGBT members and they will do a marriage . .but I have never heard of them here in Asia.

Anglicans are generally allowed to marry same sex couples . .but I share the concern that with that link to Singapore, you wont find any joy at Christ Church.

I am Catholic. There I would recommend finding and talking to a non-diocesan priest and asking him to do a blessing or at least say a special Mass. There are several Orders here in Thailand including Jesuits up in Chaing Mai. The Orders tend to be less conservative and more understanding than the local priests who will get into trouble with the bishop for even considering same-sex marriage.

That leaves your fundamentalists! (Which is precisely what needs to be done with them!) Dont bother there. Still in the dark ages clutching their Bibles and cheerfully taking verses out of context.

Finally, consider hiring a minister or someone willing to preside over a ceremony of your design . .perhaps on the beach at sunrise with Thai music, etc. I have heard of such people at major hotels in Hua Hin. Check with a few of the larger hotels.

Best of luck!!

I have never been optimistic enough to believe that the positive social harmonising functions of church groups (at least in the more exclusionary religions such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.) could ever escape their more negative aspects (intolerance, prejudice, adherence to selected social norms of 50-100 centuries ago, etc.). However, if they could it would be very beneficial to all, so good luck to those who are seeking to speed up that evolution.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I had suggested Christ Church to my friends, though I am not optimistic because I suspect they could get in trouble with the domain. But is worth looking at, even if the can have the ceremony there and a minister from elsewhere maybe. The church there would be a nice place.

I will also forward the suggestion concerning Roman Catholic priests from the orders, I had not realized that they had greater leeway and is worth their looking at I think.

Granuaile

I am not LBGT, but I am a sympathetic Christian and offer this suggestion in good faith. On the subject of Christ Church, I would recommend one person start attending, get to know some of the leadership (including of course the Vicar, or Priest - not sure what nomenclature is used) and gradually find out the lay of the land. Further, be prepared to do some work and show that the congregation will gain from that person's involvement.

Most traditional churches are struggling for membership, and Christ Church would probably welcome some young members - but accepting openly LBGT couples might take time and patience. But all organisations are capable of change, it sometimes takes patience and respect for the older, more set in their ways, people.

I speak as one who was at the centre of a huge and divisive debate on sexuality in the Uniting Church in Australia - in my congregation there was a very hurtful on-going fight, which was eventually resolved fairly.

This approach might offend your principles, and I do not blame you for feeling that way. However, change is always painful for somebody - maybe your friends can bring positive change to the traditional church in Thailand. What a wonderful blessing that would be.

• 10 years later...

All Saints Chiang Mai is an inclusive congregation. https://allsaintschiangmai.com/

Christ Communion is currently working to establish Resurrection Fellowship in Bangkok (www.resurrectionfellowship.net) as an inclusive/affirming Christian community.  Currently meeting online because of COVID restrictions.

Christ Church in BKK is under the Anglican Diocese of Singapore, which is rather conservative, so it's a bit mixed.

On 4/7/2011 at 5:12 PM, isanbirder said:

Good luck, Granuaile. I'm a Catholic, so can't really offer any help; just to say that my partner (Thai, Buddhist if you call it that) and I would like to 'make it official', but we have no way to do so in this country. It's odd really that a country which is so lax in its attitudes to marriage nevertheless still does not allow gays to have at least a civil union.

FYI.... For a Christian ceremony, we have clergy in Thailand who can help.  For the "legal" stuff, which Thailand does not recognize same-sex marriages, we have partners in the USA who can do all the legal portions of things through the courts there (just as if you had flown to the US to get married) and provide you with apostilled copies of marriage certificates, etc.   

• Like 1