Buying A Home In Thailand. Not Summer Home

So I have been thinking about moving to Thailand and working for a dive company. I am a licensed Scuba instructor, and basically I'm young and looking for an adventure. So i thought i would do a little research first. Although i haven't looked a ton I have noticed that most of the real estate listings are for very expensive vacation homes. Im looking for price ranges for a little place. Doesnt have to be a beachfront condo or anything like that. Just a small house/condo/apartment that is extremely cheap. Frankly I have seen cheaper houses in my home town than I could find on the internet so far. So what I'm looking for is the general price range of a cheap home, and maybe some sites that would have something that I'm looking for. I thank you in advance for your time and I want to express my love for Thailand

Ethan Wilson

My first reaction is that you do not initially buy. Given your aims then I think that immigration issues ,work permit issues need to be fixed first.

You are no doubt aware that you cannot just show up and get a job.

Come and rent till you sort out the aforementioned issues.

if you qualify for a Non -Immigrant Visa -which you can typically obtain from your country(You did not specify your nationality) then you can stay and not work for up to 12 months (conditions Apply)

Just bring a years supply of money.

Edited by Delight

^agree, don't worry about buying a place, rent first until you get to know the areas you'd prefer to live.

Edit: and as a foreigner you can't own land so it effectively means you're looking at condos if you want to be sole owner.

Edited by PattayaParent

^agree, don't worry about buying a place, rent first until you get to know the areas you'd prefer to live.

Edit: and as a foreigner you can't own land so it effectively means you're looking at condos if you want to be sole owner.

Whilst you cannot be sole owner of a piece of land on which a house sits, there are plenty methods to have sole control over that land, and it's not that complicated despite what some people would have you believe, do a search of this forum, Usufructs, Superficies, Leases and Company ownership have been done to death on here, loads of info available!!

But as others have said, due to your circumstances it would probably be best to rent and have a look around first.

So many property websites offering sales & rentals and also once you get here there are plenty of small ads in the newspapers, on supermarket notice boards, garden gates, locals,etc. etc.

Take your time and good luck.

I agree with the 3 that have posted answers. Rent in the beginning and see if you expiations have been meet regarding job-way of life here and so on, if not you can just pack and fly home.

I am no expert in the dive business but I get the impression that you will have to own your dive shop if you want to earn fair money.

You didn't say where in Thailand you plan to work?

Do not even think about buying a property here unless you have lived in Thailand for at least five years or have a zillion money and can afford to walk away from the property with a total loss. I have been here for fourteen years or so now, and still do not own property.

Rent.

For 2,500 to 5,000 baht/month you will find somewhere to stay. Cheaper if you share a property.

You are young and looking for adventure?

Jeeze, why even consider anchoring yourself to the ground? Just put this nonsense out of your head, be free, be mobile and enjoy life!

The very fact that you are asking this question should be all the proof you need to realize you are not even remotely ready to consider the purchase of a home in Thailand. Come to Thailand, spend a couple of years thoroughly understanding all the advantages and disadvantages of home ownership in Thailand, then decide if you want to buy at all. Thailand is not the West. Many decide it is not worth ever purchasing a home. You can rent houses here extraordinarily cheaply, and then you can simply move when the inevitable problems due to shoddy construction occur.

With a little bit of effort, you can find a place to rent that is less than the interest you would pay on a mortgage. Take everyone's advice. Do that for several years. You'll come out ahead in the long run. Buying a home in Thailand is like finding a diamond in the rough. It is an arduous process. It takes a long time, and is not for the novice or the feint of heart. There is a reason why many expats build their own and supervise the construction with their own eyes.

Whilst you cannot be sole owner of a piece of land on which a house sits, there are plenty methods to have sole control over that land, and it's not that complicated despite what some people would have you believe, do a search of this forum, Usufructs, Superficies, Leases and Company ownership have been done to death on here, loads of info available!!

But as others have said, due to your circumstances it would probably be best to rent and have a look around first.

So many property websites offering sales & rentals and also once you get here there are plenty of small ads in the newspapers, on supermarket notice boards, garden gates, locals,etc. etc.

Take your time and good luck.

But as a newbie just getting off the 'plane he doesn't really want to be diving straight into the complications and dangers of all that in his first week in town. Better he rent and then buy something he can own outright when the time is right, rather than something he could only 'control', or possibly lose control of.

There's plenty of sole ownership for Farang opportunities around.

Thank you everyone for your advise. I'm coming to Thailand for the entire month of May to check things out. Definitely sounds like renting is the only way to go ;). I just had it in my head that property would be cheap to buy. Thanks for setting me straight on that. I think the best plan will be to come with enough money to sustain myself for a year. I will probably get a job at a dive shop so I can get my dive log up and so I can do some research while I'm there. I'm probably going to figure this out while im there in May, but what would you estimate a yearly cost of living would be in Thailand. Or better yet. For a comfortable life, (more of a down to earth lifestyle, not a high roller :) How much would you want for a years expense?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm sooooo excited to be leaving in just 3 short weeks.

PS: I am from the United States (Utah)

^you'll probably find that property is cheaper at home than in Thailand, especially in the beach resorts where you'll no doubt be based.

Living expenses for a year? How long is a piece of string?

Some people can live (exist) here on 20,000 Baht a month (UK pensioners for example). For a 'comfortable' lifestyle 60,000 Baht up but I've now opened the floodgates for all those TVers that will claim that is only their weekend expenses and the other extreme will claim it's their yearly expenses.

Whatever you decide on bringing you'll spend more so make sure you have a backup plan to obtain funds if needed or just bring as much as you can afford and go home when it's spent.

Edited by PattayaParent

Be prepared to be a freelance dive instructor on call. I'd say at the start if you work 5 days a month and earn 5K baht you'll be doing better than most, until you get to know a dive operation really well and they like you. There's lots of long time dive instructors here that will have priority over a newbie fresh off the plane.

Yes min 60 K bath pr month for a decent life, but 100 K would be better. Also depending of where you want to stay in the Kingdom, Pattaya has a lot of studios for rent cheap. You will also need transport, like a motorcycle, Thai drivers license and so on, but not for you short research visit.

Good luck.

I wouldn't suggest Pattaya if he is looking to find diving work. The sea there is clogged with condoms, turds, dead bodies and jet ski hulks.

Phuket, Ko Tao, Krabi are the places he should be looking at.

His monthly $$ needs will depend on the amount of drinking and whoring he wants to do. The guys I know who insist on 100K+ per month are out drinking in go-gos, eating western food and buying expensive lady drinks every night.

Edited by johnnyk

I'm probably going to figure this out while im there in May, but what would you estimate a yearly cost of living would be in Thailand. Or better yet. For a comfortable life, (more of a down to earth lifestyle, not a high roller :) How much would you want for a years expense?

Cost of living is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend cavorting around, drinking and chasing young woman.

with diving you can't become rich.. and most of the instructor not have a real work permit. For a divemaster you can find jobs for about 600 baht per day depends on location.

But also have to think about low and high season... On low season maybe you have no work. And from the instructors i know most live on rent apartments.

For me divemaster or Instructor is something nice.. but i never want make my money with this... to low salary for have confortable life..

I know a few which had not really a nice life.. but still wan't go back home.. .up to them.

Do not even think about buying a property here unless you have lived in Thailand for at least five years or have a zillion money and can afford to walk away from the property with a total loss. I have been here for fourteen years or so now, and still do not own property.

Rent.

For 2,500 to 5,000 baht/month you will find somewhere to stay. Cheaper if you share a property.

You are young and looking for adventure?

Jeeze, why even consider anchoring yourself to the ground? Just put this nonsense out of your head, be free, be mobile and enjoy life!

2,500 a month......wow exist in a fan sweatbox or what...........rent to begin with, then buy

I wouldn't suggest Pattaya if he is looking to find diving work. The sea there is clogged with condoms, turds, dead bodies and jet ski hulks.

Phuket, Ko Tao, Krabi are the places he should be looking at.

His monthly $$ needs will depend on the amount of drinking and whoring he wants to do. The guys I know who insist on 100K+ per month are out drinking in go-gos, eating western food and buying expensive lady drinks every night.

Just love that description of Pattaya Beach...........you should apply to TAT for a job :lol:

2,500 a month......wow exist in a fan sweatbox or what...........rent to begin with, then buy

Lots of places just outside the main tourist areas starting at that sort of rent. Yes, they are basic boxes with bedroom, lounge, kitchen and bathroom, predominately occupied by normal working Thais. Maybe not for everybody, but for a young guy on a budget?

I would prefer to live like that in a community than installed in a condo-box 30 floors up, isolated from the world, no garden, never meeting the neighbours.

I would prefer to live like that in a community than installed in a condo-box 30 floors up, isolated from the world, no garden, never meeting the neighbours.

If you get a decent sized balcony you can turn it into an attractive garden area. A garden with a sea view even. I've seen some very nice ones.

"Isolated from the world and never meeting the neighbours" sounds like heaven to me. What more could one ask for? Especially as the neighbours at ground level are usually screaming kids, barking dogs, motorbikes and karaoke bars.

If you get a decent sized balcony you can turn it into an attractive garden area.

:lol:

A decent size garden balcony would be at least 30 sqm area or more. At Bt100k/sqm, this garden will cost at least Bt3m, the price of a studio unit...:lol:

Laugh away. In Pattaya I have seen several balconies that are larger than the gardens in many town houses. In fact many town houses have no outside area at all, apart from that dedicated to parking. They certainly have no view worth looking at, and of the two types of housing I know which I would prefer.

Just because most BKK condos have no such advantage doesnt mean that condos everywhere also dont.