Indian Restaurants In Sukhumvit

jay1970

Just like the over supply of 'Indian" 'tailors' the business is mostly just a front for other activities. Just no way most of these places (tailors or restos) can generate enough income to cover their overheads when they have so few or no customers.

Just like the over supply of 'Indian" 'tailors' the business is mostly just a front for other activities. Just no way most of these places (tailors or restos) can generate enough income to cover their overheads when they have so few or no customers.

Perhaps quite a few of them are actually the land owners as well, & as such, are really quite wealthy, and following that they don't need massive turnover to make a decent profit every month.

I notice this in many business for many years like restaurant or glasses shop. How do thesepeople sign up for these fronts, and how do they get away with it for so long

The one in the 1st small soi on the left in soi 8 told me he has the best Indian food in Bangkok. Not expensive either. I don't know about the best, as I have never eaten around Chareon Krung where the Indians tell me the best food can be found, but the food was very good.

The best Indian restaurant in BKK is in Rembrandt hotel on the top floor. High price but top quality food. Other good one is Indian Hut on Surawong road. Also tried one in Emporium food court - not bad either ... never been to the small shops on Sukhumvit coz going by recommendations from Indians only ;)

The one in the 1st small soi on the left in soi 8 told me he has the best Indian food in Bangkok. Not expensive either. I don't know about the best, as I have never eaten around Chareon Krung where the Indians tell me the best food can be found, but the food was very good.

Would be inclined to agree, its called Namuskaara or something like that. I must have been to most Indians in Sukhumvit area, that one still the best I can find.

Perhaps quite a few of them are actually the land owners as well, & as such, are really quite wealthy, and following that they don't need massive turnover to make a decent profit every month.

If they are so wealthy, why bother to go to the expense of setting up a 'business'.. Why not just rent the property out to other prospectivve businesses ?

Answer ? Because they are up to various nefarious enterprises and need a front. I have expereince with South asians in Malaysia and Singapore and many of them are involved in just these sort of businesses. I have no reason to believe that the ones in Thailand are up to anything different. If they are so well off and can afford prime property along Sukky why not run a business that generates income ?

Was wondering same thing about tailors. I didn't see any customers in any of those shops.

Would be inclined to agree, its called Namuskaara or something like that. I must have been to most Indians in Sukhumvit area, that one still the best I can find.

Noted for my next trip.

i don't know about BKK but Thai-Indians in Pattaya own a huge junk of precious real estate.

A lot of those restaurants are probably just tourist traps. :unsure: If it's expensive, the restaurant doesn't always have to be full to break even or make profits.

And if those tailors would be a front for something else, I'm not sure if they would bother annoying people on the street to enter their store, or work with the tuk tuk mafia to attract tourists.

There you go. Not my imagination then

Must add to this, as an ex 'merikan appreciater of fine vegetarian Indian food (they have non veg too), having tried most of the Sukhumvit places, I can highly recommend the spacious 'Greater Mumbai Punjab' on Soi 13 in the Trendy bldg (it was earlier across the street in Sukhumvit Suites).

They have a daily lavish buffet, but some unusual specialty dishes not found in other similar restaurants (try the crispy Okra or Bitter Gourd!). They stay open late as well!

Easier on the wallet, if ur alone or want to try a greater variety, they will make half portions of most anything also. Judging by the large groups of traveling Indians that head there, it is quite popular already. Unlike most of the places in this neighborhood, the cooks are real high class Indian & not Bangladeshi or Nepali. They do deliver & take-away too. Don't take my word for it, try & see!

I like that one, too. He took over the premises after Malaysian Auntie called it quits there. He has good food, and pleasant service, and has built a real restaurant, where Auntie had a glorified stall.

I did love Auntie's dosage, though. Started eating there before she got bulldozed in the great Soi 10 massacre...now she's way out toward the river, off Surawongse...still delish.

No Indian food at all here in Nong Khai, but my wife makes a KILLER biryani..