Thai Airways To Raise Fuel Charge For International-Flight Passengers

webfact

Thai Airways to Raise Fuel Charge

Thai Airways will increase the fuel charge for international flights starting from April 18 onwards, and for European flights starting from May 2.

Thai Airways International has announced that the company will raise the fuel surcharge for international-flight passengers.

The company said it will be changing the fees to reduce fuel expenditures, in line with the rise in oil prices.

The last change was on February 17.

However, the rising surcharge for flights on European routes, including Johannesburg, will not be effective until May 2.

The fuel fees for domestic flights remain the same and are included in the ticket price.

The source said the Board of Directors of Thai Airways will hold a meeting on April 20, to consider whether to rent ER777-300 Boeing aircrafts from Indian Airlines.

The boards have approved the rental of these three aircrafts, but the negotiation has not yet been finalised.

They are considering to rent the Boeings from Jet Airways instead.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-08

footer_n.gif

I haven't flown Thai Airways for nearly 20 years, as they always used to be one of the most expensive. In the end I even stopped bothering to enquire about a price from them.

After reading this article I thought I would just dip check their current prices. As I say, this is a dip check but an economy flight to London on 30th Apr, returning on 30 May cost 102,745 THB. I use Etihad alot and so compared with them and flying on the same day is 45,335 THB.

How on earth is this new price hike going to entice new customers?

Anybody flown Thai recently? Is the service worth more than double the fare?

Gone are the days when I and thousands of other Thai regulars used T.G. In my other posts related to Thai Int on their aged 20 +year old 747s, they were years too late in getting in an order for more cost effective aircraft.

Like most other airlines when oil was at 150 u.s. $ surcharges were applied and had to be BUT when the price dropped dramatically the surcharge didn't drop very quick. But here we have to subsidise the gas guzzelling old jumbo's-with high cost maintainance re-age.

What about the losing of face-having to go to a lesser well known air company(who are doing very well) and RENTING 777er.s. This is a further lease-as they already have 777er.s on lease. Yes we do Know that they have orders,and are awaiting delivery. My post backs up with the last position for T.G. in the worlds best is somewhere around 46th --they always used to be in the top 10ish 15 years ago.

I flew to Rome with Thai (not by choice) last year and it was crap. The plane was old and didn't even have entertainment units in each seat! Having said that, I did fly with Thai to Singapore about a month ago and the plane was fairly new (with entertainment unit). Don't know why they prioritize short haul flights with newer aircraft's?

I haven't flown Thai Airways for nearly 20 years, as they always used to be one of the most expensive. In the end I even stopped bothering to enquire about a price from them.

After reading this article I thought I would just dip check their current prices. As I say, this is a dip check but an economy flight to London on 30th Apr, returning on 30 May cost 102,745 THB. I use Etihad alot and so compared with them and flying on the same day is 45,335 THB.

The worst airline I have ever encountered, expensive, ill-mannered, Old equipment, poor service and the list goes on in every category. I am surprised anyone actually uses them other than those who dont actually pay for the ticket themselves.

Should be shut down !

Edited by CharlieH

Let's be fair, and I can't believe I'm sort of going to defend TG here, but the airline isn't stupid. it is well aware of price sensitivities. A great many people will opt for a direct flight over a transfer in an arab country or transferring in the EU or ZRH as I used to do when I flew SwissAir back when Swiss Air was a deluxe airline. TG can get away with some of its fares because its schedule is the just right to make some connections. When I fly the BKK-NRT in the morning with TG, it is on a decrepit filthy obsolete B747. It is never on time either. That's why I avoid TG on that route. However, it works fine for others. Some people don't like the annoying extra security of the UA flight that leaves at 6:30 am for NRT, or maybe they want to sleep in, or maybe they have had a United experience in the past, so they opt for TG. I use the ANA flight on that route and the service isn't any better than TG's although the planes have been updated. The food is Japanese vs my preferred Thai food. I use the ANA flight because it prices out better on a connection instead of TG. However, as a single route, I think you will find all the Star Alliance partners price in a similar fashion.

TG service is still superior to the vast majority of its North American and EU competitors. How many airlines still serve a hot snack on a short haul flight? They don't outside of Asia.TG is priced less than its asian competitors on short haul flights. Look at the fares on the BKK or HKT route to Singapore. SQ or Silk Air is usually more expensive than TG. (I used Air Asia and saved 1/2 the fare of those carriers.) Most North American airlines offer no meal service on flights less than 5 hours. I flew on US Airways between San Juan, Puerto Rico and Philadelphia in first class. You know what I got to eat? A small bag of pretzels. If one is flying in premium classes, TG is superior to its EU and North American rivals. Ever go in an American Airlines lounge? The Admiral lounge gives you crackers. The United Red Carpet lounge gives you pretzels. US Airways? hahahaah You get a filthy seat. In the TG domestic lounges you get sandwiches, and hot canapes. it's superior to many EU and North American lounges with the exception of Air Canada which has the best lounges outside of Asia. Go into the EVA Airways lounges outside of TPE and you are in depressing rooms with little to eat and no internet access. Ever try to change a ticket on some airlines? With TG the airline is usually more acomodating and the additional charges are not significant most times. Ever try and call someone for help? Try that with Air Asia and bring a pillow. TG answers the phone. TG has a better luggage connection service than many other airlines. Try and have your luggage connected on Air Asia, or try going using airlines outside a special luggage transfer agreement. All of this costs money. If you want these services you pay for them in higher fares.

It is childish to single out the age of the FAs. The FAs are there to save lives in the event of an emergency. They aren't there for the titillation of passengers. Yes, the TG FAs can have an attitude, but it is usually the result of dealing with rude, low class twits that think the FAs are their personal servants or that don't quite grasp the fact that the purchase of the cheap low fare excursion class does not mean one gets carte blanche at the liquor trolley. The arrogance and pushiness of some of the folks in the cheap seats that expect 5 star service never fails to astound. I notice that the biggest complainers are the people that buy the cheapest airfares and then wonder why they don't get treated like the people in premium or full fae economy.

Yes TG is well below the level of its main asian competitors of SQ, ML, CX, ANA and 5 star Chinese airlines like Hainan, but look at the prices on some of those routes. You'll find that TG is often competitively priced..

There are ways in which to obtain lower cost excursion fare prices. it requires going through a "preferred" agency. By preferred, I mean the agencies that have a large volume and are able to negotiate special deals. The asian airlines still engage in this practice since a great many long haul flights are still purchased through the old agency format. I haven't used an agency in eons. I don't even use the online agencies like Orbitz and certainly not overpriced Expedia. If one asks an airline directly, one will discover all sorts of special fares. In other cases, it is almost always cheaper to book with an airline than an online agency. EVA is a classic example. The airfares quoted by Orbitz are often 25-50% higher than the EVA website. On the other hand, TG is the exact opposite. Use the preferred agent and you save a bundle.

I flew to Rome with Thai (not by choice) last year and it was crap. The plane was old and didn't even have entertainment units in each seat! Having said that, I did fly with Thai to Singapore about a month ago and the plane was fairly new (with entertainment unit). Don't know why they prioritize short haul flights with newer aircraft's?

From Jakarta to BBK... last year..............................TG434

My flight was delayed cos the airplane couldn't land..........(TG433 From BKK to pickup passengers in Jakarta)

as one of the wheels got stuck.... They flew around for 45 mins ... until they could make the landing...and

then announced that the hydraulics failed to function properly they had to get them replaced but the delivery would get a couple of hours....... I can't trust their Quality anyway....

they sent us to Gaurada... Have to make a transit in SGP...

I realized that the planes in service are very old.....

No more TG.....for me please...Don't wanna die too soon

The worst airline I have ever encountered, expensive, ill-mannered, Old equipment, poor service and the list goes on in every category. I am surprised anyone actually uses them other than those who dont actually pay for the ticket themselves.

Should be shut down !

i don't argree ...... with you the service and the foods are Ok...

Singapore to Thai ...... route is good investment... many passengers.... it was a new plane when I used it ......

People actually still fly Thai air for overseas flights?

Expensive fares, old fleet (Hostesses too) and food is trash.

Don't agree. Last minute flight bargains are amongst the cheapest. Hostesses are like most Thai women - beautiful. Food was voted by airline industry last year as No: 1 in the world for economy class.

My flight was delayed cos the airplane couldn't land..........(TG433 From BKK to pickup passengers in Jakarta)

as one of the wheels got stuck.... They flew around for 45 mins ... until they could make the landing...and

then announced that the hydraulics failed to function properly they had to get them replaced but the delivery would get a couple of hours....... I can't trust their Quality anyway....

Sorry, but the transfer from Thai to Garuda because of a safety issue equates a transition from the frying pan to the fire.

Should be shut down !

i don't argree ...... with you the service and the foods are Ok...

I also believe the service and food to be quite good also. Thais new airbus' A330-300's which I seem to be on the majority of my travels is modern and has all the personnal entertainment equipment. Albeit a little tight for leg room. However occasionally I do get caught on the old 747's and they are Jarrasic.

Sorry, but the transfer from Thai to Garuda because of a safety issue equates a transition from the frying pan to the fire.

How is Garuda still allowed to fly has got me puzzled.:blink:

But..... To take that old plane back to BKK is extremely risky .. ... I don't know if Garuda is not safe.... that was my 1st with Garuda ... ......

Garuda service is SoSo.......

But..... To take that old plane back to BKK is extremely risky .. ... I don't know if Garuda is not safe.... that was my 1st with Garuda ... ......

Garuda service is SoSo.......

Just google "Garuda+Safety" and you'll never fly them again. You're right - service is okay though.

I didn't check what type of airplane used by Garuda... however, I felt a bit happier ..... not taking that old TG back to BKK....

in Overall, I conclude that TG airfare is not worth spending.... All apologies,,, if i hurt anyone's feeling...

Tompa-

The newer aircraft I believe are the rented"" 777er, not their own,was rented from the Indian Airline. If Airbus may well have had some delivery.

Edited by ginjag

Let's be fair, and I can't believe I'm sort of going to defend TG here, but the airline isn't stupid. it is well aware of price sensitivities. A great many people will opt for a direct flight over a transfer in an arab country or transferring in the EU or ZRH as I used to do when I flew SwissAir back when Swiss Air was a deluxe airline. TG can get away with some of its fares because its schedule is the just right to make some connections. When I fly the BKK-NRT in the morning with TG, it is on a decrepit filthy obsolete B747. It is never on time either. That's why I avoid TG on that route. However, it works fine for others. Some people don't like the annoying extra security of the UA flight that leaves at 6:30 am for NRT, or maybe they want to sleep in, or maybe they have had a United experience in the past, so they opt for TG. I use the ANA flight on that route and the service isn't any better than TG's although the planes have been updated. The food is Japanese vs my preferred Thai food. I use the ANA flight because it prices out better on a connection instead of TG. However, as a single route, I think you will find all the Star Alliance partners price in a similar fashion.

TG service is still superior to the vast majority of its North American and EU competitors. How many airlines still serve a hot snack on a short haul flight? They don't outside of Asia.TG is priced less than its asian competitors on short haul flights. Look at the fares on the BKK or HKT route to Singapore. SQ or Silk Air is usually more expensive than TG. (I used Air Asia and saved 1/2 the fare of those carriers.) Most North American airlines offer no meal service on flights less than 5 hours. I flew on US Airways between San Juan, Puerto Rico and Philadelphia in first class. You know what I got to eat? A small bag of pretzels. If one is flying in premium classes, TG is superior to its EU and North American rivals. Ever go in an American Airlines lounge? The Admiral lounge gives you crackers. The United Red Carpet lounge gives you pretzels. US Airways? hahahaah You get a filthy seat. In the TG domestic lounges you get sandwiches, and hot canapes. it's superior to many EU and North American lounges with the exception of Air Canada which has the best lounges outside of Asia. Go into the EVA Airways lounges outside of TPE and you are in depressing rooms with little to eat and no internet access. Ever try to change a ticket on some airlines? With TG the airline is usually more acomodating and the additional charges are not significant most times. Ever try and call someone for help? Try that with Air Asia and bring a pillow. TG answers the phone. TG has a better luggage connection service than many other airlines. Try and have your luggage connected on Air Asia, or try going using airlines outside a special luggage transfer agreement. All of this costs money. If you want these services you pay for them in higher fares.

It is childish to single out the age of the FAs. The FAs are there to save lives in the event of an emergency. They aren't there for the titillation of passengers. Yes, the TG FAs can have an attitude, but it is usually the result of dealing with rude, low class twits that think the FAs are their personal servants or that don't quite grasp the fact that the purchase of the cheap low fare excursion class does not mean one gets carte blanche at the liquor trolley. The arrogance and pushiness of some of the folks in the cheap seats that expect 5 star service never fails to astound. I notice that the biggest complainers are the people that buy the cheapest airfares and then wonder why they don't get treated like the people in premium or full fae economy.

Yes TG is well below the level of its main asian competitors of SQ, ML, CX, ANA and 5 star Chinese airlines like Hainan, but look at the prices on some of those routes. You'll find that TG is often competitively priced..

There are ways in which to obtain lower cost excursion fare prices. it requires going through a "preferred" agency. By preferred, I mean the agencies that have a large volume and are able to negotiate special deals. The asian airlines still engage in this practice since a great many long haul flights are still purchased through the old agency format. I haven't used an agency in eons. I don't even use the online agencies like Orbitz and certainly not overpriced Expedia. If one asks an airline directly, one will discover all sorts of special fares. In other cases, it is almost always cheaper to book with an airline than an online agency. EVA is a classic example. The airfares quoted by Orbitz are often 25-50% higher than the EVA website. On the other hand, TG is the exact opposite. Use the preferred agent and you save a bundle.

An excellent post. I was a regular user of Thai Air years back and was always prepared to pay a premium for the nice service and good food, but even I gave up in the face of the rubbish entertainments provision in economy class and the poor pricing to compensate. I still have my FF card, though I don't think I will be using it any time soon. It is all a great pity as the one thing Thai Air does provide is an economy seat with decent legroom. Nowadays I will use Cathay Pacific where I can.

Just google "Garuda+Safety" and you'll never fly them again. You're right - service is okay though.

if you guys mean this Peter Harbison, managing director of the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation, today described Garuda's safety record as "not great''.

Extra legroom is worth the lack of seatback entertainment. Food is good as are the FA's.

I agree with you. To me the legroom is important also the duration. I leaving for BKK the end of june from Gothenburg via CopenhagenStopover in CPH 55 min.

Flight leave GBG 12.45 lokal time, arrive BKK 06.00lokal time. 1 sleeping pill and I wake up in BKK, I don´t care much about the food.

My wife have a nice breakfast redy for me.

Correction to my previous post #15. It was the Airbus Industrie A340-600 I was referring to. Not the a330-400. Thai airways do have a number of Airbus Industrie 340-600. Very nice,modern and economical aircraft indeed however like I said,it has restricted leg room. Not sure if they own them or a leasing them.

From New Zealand to Bangkok twice and return I have travell with Thai Air and have nothing but praise for them. I am disabled and they treated me really well. Next time time from NZ to Bangkok was with Qantas. Auckland to Sydney ok but from Sydney to Bangkok YUK. I liked flying with Thai Air.

Where was the reduction / or removal of the fuel excise when the price of oil fell from $140US to $80 US per barrel ??? :annoyed:

Ha Ha,5555 it's not the passengers business to know we are being ripped off. Look ya pay's for what ya gets, Thai ARE expensive for economy seats to Europe in particular. and on this route it's been said before the planes are not up to date. Maybe they should look for guidence from Etihad/Emirates/Kingfisher for example, they are thriving on near half the price of Thai. The service has to be world class, it's the least they can do.

Correction to my previous post #15. It was the Airbus Industrie A340-600 I was referring to. Not the a330-400. Thai airways do have a number of Airbus Industrie 340-600. Very nice,modern and economical aircraft indeed however like I said,it has restricted leg room. Not sure if they own them or a leasing them.

Weren't they procured specially for the much-trumpeted direct flights to the USA?

I have encountered them occasionally on the London route, but not often enough...... probably only when the old jumbos are having their nuts tightened..

As other posters have already pointed out - THAI is very slow to reduce surcharges in line with oil prices. I am sure they have a very good excuse, like TiT, or something...

A THAI mileage award ("Free" ticket) can sometimes be more expensive including the surcharges, than a paid ticket on a different airline....

Edited by bangon04

I would like to see the figures on the cost of fuel per passenger compared to the fee increase. I would bet there is at least a 30% profit built into the increase.

I'll second that. With the prices that they charge for flights, (compared to airlines well above them in rank who charge lower fares economy-Europe) Thai should be making vast amounts of money.

Yes.Help me out here,guys.How do not only THAI but all the other heavyweights justify charging this kind of money when the Gulf carriers,Aeroflot etc are charging half the ammount?Fuel surcharge?Direct flight?Are you telling me as in the above example that warrants sticking an extra £1000 on the cost of the ticket?Leave off!

Is it just naked greed or am I missing something?