Has The Premiership Lost It's Magic?

Pie Boy

There has been a lot of negative press recently about how boring (or predictable) the Premiership has become this season and the Chelsea influence on this aparent change.

Personally I think teams have become more adapt at changing their tactics to get the results they require, but I must admit post Ashes it does seem to have lost it's edge a little.

As for the Chelsea influence well what do other members think?

What does the future hold for the Premeiship and what changes would make it more exciting if indeed any are needed?

With results like this weekend, how can it be boring.

ManU 1-Blackburn 2

Midd 0-Sland 2

Wham 0-Arsenal 0

B'ham2-Lpool 2

Villa gave Chelsea a game to remember. What more do you want.

Of course the knockers are not going to worry about that in Chelsea( or Chelski's as the jelous minority label them)case. If Chelsea win they're going to say 'Look what you can do with money' if they lose, the same people are going to say' Money can't even buy them success'

The funny thing is, most of the whingers support the team that sports the two most expensive players in the premiership, the team that over the last 12 years has spent more money than Chelsea, the team that is now owned by an American billionair. No mate, the Premiership still holds all the charm and skill that is not seen in other countries. And will do long after the Chelsea dogs have had their day and another team finds a manager that spends his sponsors money wisely.

ManU 1-Blackburn 2

Midd 0-Sland 2

Wham 0-Arsenal 0

B'ham2-Lpool 2

Of course the knockers are not going to worry about that in Chelsea( or Chelski's as the jelous minority label them)case. If Chelsea win they're going to say 'Look what you can do with money' if they lose, the same people are going to say' Money can't even buy them success'

The funny thing is, most of the whingers support the team that sports the two most expensive players in the premiership, the team that over the last 12 years has spent more money than Chelsea, the team that is now owned by an American billionair. No mate, the Premiership still holds all the charm and skill that is not seen in other countries. And will do long after the Chelsea dogs have had their day and another team finds a manager that spends his sponsors money wisely.

Agreed! EPL rocks! :o

As Chelsea have spent millions to bring success, everbody seems to be ganging up on Chelsea to blame for them making the Premiership boring and the decrease in attendances due to rising ticket prices.

I'm sure if Chelsea win the Champions league the UK press will be quick enough to jump on the Chelsea bandwagon and claim how the English Premier League is the greatest in the world.

At this moment in time it's looking like a one horse race. Most neutrals would like to see 3 or 4 teams competing for the Championship but it doesn't look like it will happen at this moment in time.

The relegation battle looks like it could be exciting this season. There are possibly 7 or 8 teams that will be involved in the relegation scrap. Also for the Champions League places it looks like it could be another 7 or 8 teams competing for them.

So I don't think the Premier league has lost it's magic yet!

ManU 1-Blackburn 2

Midd 0-Sland 2

Wham 0-Arsenal 0

B'ham2-Lpool 2

Agreed! EPL rocks! :o

I have to disagree. Chelsea's enourmous spending power has in effect removed the competition from the top of the league. Without a genuine level of competitiveness you lose one of the crucial ingredients of entertaining sport. Chelsea's success, both at home and abroad, is inevitable. Abramovitch will continue to provide the funds until they reach whatever level of success he desires. This is not interesting for the overwhelming majority of neutral spectators, nor does it signify much of an achievement for Chelsea football club as we already know that money will buy you success.

The situation is not really Chelsea's fault as football, both in England and on the Continent, has been moving in this direction for some time now. In England this has become increasingly the case since the formation of the Premier League and the influx of money from Sky TV. Chelsea are only enjoying the same position of power which Manchester United enjoyed throughout the 1990's.

Ultimately, however, this is not good for the future of football. So few sides have any realistic chance of competing at the top end of the table, that all there is to play for for the majority is survival. The financial implications of relegation are now so harsh and the opportunity of any chance of significant success is so impossibly remote that most sides are involved in a desperate struggle for results which has lead many limited sides to adopt a destructive rather than creative approach to playing the game. Needless to say many fans are now voting with their feet, rather than pay the exhorbitant prices it costs to watch such dross and pay for the wages of players who couldn't care less.

It was interesting to see that more fans turned up to watch Leeds v Sheffield Weds, than turned up to watch Chelsea v Anderlecht in the champions League recently on the same night. Has the inevitability of victory become that boring already that Chelsea are struggling to attract fans to watch them play?

Will we ever again be able to see a team, put together by a good manager, rise from the Championship into the Premier League and be victorious? It used to be a good possibility, and it's dreams of success like that that used to provide the magic for the majority of football fans in England. Who will be interested in seeing the same few sides carving up the Premier League year after year ad infinitum, with only the possible introduction of another billionaire capable of shaking up the top order?

I used to love English football and i hope that something is done to level the playing field and provide a genuine level of competition throughout the league, but sadly it is starting to bore me rigid. The game is dying on it's feet.

Will we ever again be able to see a team, put together by a good manager, rise from the Championship into the Premier League and be victorious? It used to be a good possibility, and it's dreams of success like that that used to provide the magic for the majority of football fans in England. Who will be interested in seeing the same few sides carving up the Premier League year after year ad infinitum, with only the possible introduction of another billionaire capable of shaking up the top order?

I used to love English football and i hope that something is done to level the playing field and provide a genuine level of competition throughout the league, but sadly it is starting to bore me rigid. The game is dying on it's feet.

Actually just what you have been saying has been happening across Europe for decades.

Scotland: Two teams, Rangers and Celtic. Only this year has a third arrived to challange their might.

Norway: Rosenburg have won the Norwegian league for god knows how many years.

Germany: A little bit more even, but ultimately it's down to Bayern or Werder.

Spain: Real and Barcelona held the reins for many a year.

England: Arsenal and ManU had a stranglehold on the Premiership for years. Sir Alex even resorted to paying vast amounts for players that he didn't need just so other clubs couldn't get their hands on them, then hardly giving them a game. And anyway, if the knockers studied Chelsea closely they would see that most of the performers that give 100% week in week out were there before the Russian took full control.

I don't agree that the premiership has lost its magic at all.

At the moment it is Chelsea's time, big spending or otherwise, Arsenal and Man Utd both had chances (and the money) to bolster their challenge this season, but did not take it. Chelsea only signed 2 players in the summer.

We have seen domination by Liverpool, Arsenal, & Man Utd over the years, just because Chelsea are top of the league now and won the league last year does not automatically mean that they will win it this year. At this early stage there is no way teams like Arsenal or Man Utd are going to give up the fight. In fact if they both took maximum points from their home games against Chelsea then the race could well be back on. It only takes one defeat to start some insecurity and a beleif to win.

So its not over, and if you are looking for a team to rise from the Championship and be sucessful without spending shed loads of money look at the "onenillers" Bolton.

I LOVE it!! :o

At the moment it is Chelsea's time, big spending or otherwise, Arsenal and Man Utd both had chances (and the money) to bolster their challenge this season, but did not take it. Chelsea only signed 2 players in the summer.

We have seen domination by Liverpool, Arsenal, & Man Utd over the years, just because Chelsea are top of the league now and won the league last year does not automatically mean that they will win it this year. At this early stage there is no way teams like Arsenal or Man Utd are going to give up the fight. In fact if they both took maximum points from their home games against Chelsea then the race could well be back on. It only takes one defeat to start some insecurity and a beleif to win.

So its not over, and if you are looking for a team to rise from the Championship and be sucessful without spending shed loads of money look at the "onenillers" Bolton.

So do I. The only problem is that now, with the clubs that previously had success year in year out, is Chelsea's success is summed up with one word. MONEY. No mention of good football or good managment. Their money is a perfect 'Get out of Jail' clause. United have got as many 'stars' as Chelsea, it's just that Alex 'Grima Wormtongue' Fergerson, has lost his magic touch. It seems nowadays he thinks that putting five world class centerfowards on at the same time will bring goals. It won't I assure you. I personally don't like Chelsea's idea of just one, but it seems to be working. And of course Mohrino has that uncanny knack of bringing a player on to achieve instant success. A bit like Michael Vaughn.

So do I. The only problem is that now, with the clubs that previously had success year in year out, is Chelsea's success is summed up with one word. MONEY. No mention of good football or good managment. Their money is a perfect 'Get out of Jail' clause. United have got as many 'stars' as Chelsea, it's just that Alex 'Grima Wormtongue' Fergerson, has lost his magic touch. It seems nowadays he thinks that putting five world class centerfowards on at the same time will bring goals. It won't I assure you. I personally don't like Chelsea's idea of just one, but it seems to be working. And of course Mohrino has that uncanny knack of bringing a player on to achieve instant success. A bit like Michael Vaughn.

Who is Michael Vaughn Lamps?

This seems to be the media's pet subject currently. Has the Premiership lost its magic, but nobody ever explains why they have that point of view.

Lack of goals, big deal, you never been involved in an exciting 0v0. No goals aren't the be all of football which is why football doesn't pander to making bigger goals, etc, that the USA would love to bring in. Its ok as is.

Chelsea are dominating. So what. We had to put up with the domination of the scousers, ManU, etc and Chelsea have won it once look like winning it again and thats bad for football. Noooooo its not.

Might not be so exciting at the top but football isn't just about the top teams is it, as witnessed by the sunderland result the other night.

New formations are being used. So what. Footballs a game of innovation, things are always changing.

No, football is in a fine state, its exciting and enjoyable, its unlikely that chelsea will dominate for more than a few years.

Enjoy!

Oh and i'm a Man City supporter just to so you can put my comments in perspective.

For me, the EPL lost its magic when the mighty Leeds were relegated, but that's another subject altogether.

Serious comments:

1) My overriding concern is not that monied teams like Chelsea will dominate in future years; it's that ordinary fans are being excluded from the game to finance the big spending. I read recently that it costs more to watch certain Div 1 and Div 2 teams than European fans pay to watch Real Madrid, Barca and Juventus. That kind of stat is frightening and goes a long way to explain why crowds have slumped this year.

2) I'd like to see a salary cap for each division to help even out the playing field. It would make managers really manage their squad; not simply add monopolise the purchase of players whenever they appear on the market. Such rules apply to US sports, Aussie Rugby League etc . . why not football?

3) The one BIGGGGG positive of Chelsea's dominance is to see that loathsome bully Alex Ferguson (and his thuggish sidekick Roy Keane) looking more and more uncomfortable every week. When a manager bans interviews with the fans club tv station because they dared to question his tactics, you know it's a sign that he's losing the plot.

For me, the EPL lost its magic when the mighty Leeds were relegated, but that's another subject altogether.

Serious comments:

1) My overriding concern is not that monied teams like Chelsea will dominate in future years; it's that ordinary fans are being excluded from the game to finance the big spending.  I read recently that it costs more to watch certain Div 1 and Div 2 teams than European fans pay to watch Real Madrid, Barca and Juventus.  That kind of stat is frightening and goes a long way to explain why crowds have slumped this year.

2) I'd like to see a salary cap for each division to help even out the playing field.  It would make managers really manage their squad; not simply add monopolise the purchase of players whenever they appear on the market.  Such rules apply to US sports, Aussie Rugby League etc . . why not football?

3) The one BIGGGGG positive of Chelsea's dominance is to see that loathsome bully Alex Ferguson (and his thuggish sidekick Roy Keane) looking more and more uncomfortable every week.  When a manager bans interviews with the fans club tv station because they dared to question his tactics, you know it's a sign that he's losing the plot.

Agree wholeheartedly with number 3 :o

Some excellent post so far that have given me some food for thought.Ultimatly the excitment may not come from the inevitable 1 from 3 champions but rather the battle to stay up which has the potential to involve far more teams and therefore produce more twists and turns.

Pie Boy

Perhaps I should start a new thread - Was I right to cancel my Sky sports subscription? :o

Some excellent post so far that have given me some food for thought.Ultimatly the excitment may not come from the inevitable 1 from 3 champions but rather the battle to stay up which has the potential to involve far more teams and therefore produce more twists and turns.

Pie Boy

Perhaps I should start a new thread - Was I right to cancel my Sky sports subscription? :D

[/quote)

NO :o

2) I'd like to see a salary cap for each division to help even out the playing field.  It would make managers really manage their squad; not simply add monopolise the purchase of players whenever they appear on the market.  Such rules apply to US sports, Aussie Rugby League etc . . why not football?

3) The one BIGGGGG positive of Chelsea's dominance is to see that loathsome bully Alex Ferguson (and his thuggish sidekick Roy Keane) looking more and more uncomfortable every week.  When a manager bans interviews with the fans club tv station because they dared to question his tactics, you know it's a sign that he's losing the plot.

I agree with point two. Some sort of restriction on transfer activity would also help prevent one team from cornering the market. In this respect US sports are miles ahead and provide a far more genuine level of competition. The big problem, besides getting those clubs who benefit from the present situation to agree, would be having to implement any restrictions worldwide in order to get them to work.

I agree with point three as well, hillarious to watch, and possibly the only good thing to have come from the Chelsea situation.

There has been a lot of negative press recently about how boring (or predictable) the Premiership has become this season and the Chelsea influence on this aparent change.

Personally I think teams have become more adapt at changing their tactics to get the results they require, but I must admit post Ashes it does seem to have lost it's edge a little.

As for the Chelsea influence well what do other members think?

What does the future hold for the Premeiship and what changes would make it more exciting if indeed any are needed?

Well, personally I'm still excited by the premiership. I'm not going to pretend that the title race is still on, Chelsea have already won the league, and a few bookmakers would agree with me as they have already paid out, yes and we're only 7 games into the season.

What still excites me about the premiership is that there is only 12 points seperating 20th and 2nd - 4 wins. only 6 points seperating the top of the bottom half and rock bottom. i.e 11th and 20th - 2 wins. Football is unpredictable, the premiership is unpredictable. Charlton second, Everton bottom, who would have thought that at the start of this season? West ham and Wigain in the top half of the table, whilst Newcastle and Liverpool are in the bottom. All of this adds to the unpreditability of our league, and frankly, this is what makes it exciting.

I think the reason for lower attendances is because of rediculous over pricing for 90 minutes of entertainment. I heard chealsea are charging around 70 quid a ticket in some game, what a <deleted> disgrace.

[

I think the reason for lower attendances is because of rediculous over pricing for 90 minutes of entertainment.  I heard chealsea are charging around 70 quid a ticket in some game, what a <deleted> disgrace.

I think you'll find that lower attendances are due to most people being able to watch the match live. And I mean live on a saturday afternoon. England is one of the only countries in the modern world that does not screen live premiership on a saturday afternoon, 3 O'clock kick off. But they do screen live matches at every other time. Take this week. Most of the matches are played yet again on Sunday. Why. So football clubs can earn money from television. And then the TV ( not Thai Visa) charges the punters. Nowadays, given the technology available people can tune into Dutch TV, Denmark TV, Norway TV, Sweden TV and of course a lot of matches are available on-line somewhere or the other, so the people don't have to travel. Of course with the escalating violence, a lot of people prefer to sit in the comfort of their own homes and watch it.

To another point. Money. It doesn't matter how much a player costs, or how good he is. Can he fit in with the rest of the team. That is where a top class manager enters the fray. I think Sir Alex has lost his magic touch, and with it Rio Ferdinand. I didn't rate him at the best of times, but does he deserve the tag of the costliest defender in football. No. Gallas would run rings round him. Look over the years at players who have cost a fortune after being outstanding with one club, then playing useless after raking in a fortune in their part of the transfer fee. Kezman spings mind. Chris Sutton was another. The money side of it just makes a made-to-measure excuse to those who can't accept moving aside for a new era of football to emerge.

One more thing, Chelsea will probably win the Premiership again, but they're going to have to fight every inch of the way. They are now the team everyone is itching to beat, and beleive e, will raise their game accordingly

Edited by lampard10

I think its great to see teams like Charlton, Bolton & even Spurs occupying the Champions League births at the moment. OK I wont get carried away and think that their runs will continue, but its great to see RIGHT NOW!

I pedicted Everton to go down and I still hold with the notion

The money side of it just makes a made-to-measure excuse to those who can't accept moving aside for a new era of football to emerge.

I can't agree with this sort of opinion. Surely it is quite clear that it is the never before seen injection of money into Chelsea that has heralded what you describe as 'a new era', it's not an excuse, it's a fact that this is the cause.

The point you make about a manager still having to get the right players to fit into the team and produce the goods is fair enough. But is this not made considerably easier when you can cherry pick the best players available, and pay whatever it takes to get them?

Not only that, but if one incredibly expensive aquisition does not work out, you can just dip back into the transfer market and fork out another £25 million, without having any regard for balancing the books. There is only one team in English football that are capable of doing that.

We all know that football is not a level playing field, but Chelsea's resources are in a league of their own. Anything less than winning the league, and in the near future the Champions League, should be regarded as failure given this fact, and rightly so. Harder for Chelsea fans to take, i would imagine, is the fact that their successes will only ever be regarded as modest achievements by most people, because of this fact.

Edited by Fast Eddie

This seems to be the media's pet subject currently. Has the Premiership lost its magic, but nobody ever explains why they have that point of view.

Lack of goals, big deal, you never been involved in an exciting 0v0. No goals aren't the be all of football which is why football doesn't pander to making bigger goals, etc, that the USA would love to bring in. Its ok as is.

Chelsea are dominating. So what. We had to put up with the domination of the scousers, ManU, etc and Chelsea have won it once look like winning it again and thats bad for football. Noooooo its not.

Might not be so exciting at the top but football isn't just about the top teams is it, as witnessed by the sunderland result the other night.

New formations are being used. So what. Footballs a game of innovation, things are always changing.

No, football is in a fine state, its exciting and enjoyable, its unlikely that chelsea will dominate for more than a  few years.

Enjoy!

Oh and i'm a Man City supporter just to so you can put my comments in perspective.

I agree (and I'm a Man City fan too) :D I'm happy to see Chelsea taking points from everyone, as long as those Reds don't win i'm happy :o

P.S. Man City where the last team to beat Chelsea, either 37 or 38 games ago :D

3) The one BIGGGGG positive of Chelsea's dominance is to see that loathsome bully Alex Ferguson (and his thuggish sidekick Roy Keane) looking more and more uncomfortable every week.   When a manager bans interviews with the fans club tv station because they dared to question his tactics, you know it's a sign that he's losing the plot.

Agree wholeheartedly with number 3 :D

Me too :D

Lampard10,

Remind me again who are playing like champions and grinding out results cos u are are always on the defensive mate. It seems to me that you always have a dig at Utd even though Chelsea are playing better and deserve to be top.

The saying goes you only come to see utd or as the case on this forum is you only come to talk about Utd. :o

Now you know what its like to be top of the pile. As your namesake Frank Lampard said a few weeks ago, i know how Man Utd felt when they was winning and everybody hated them. Probally still do but i get a buzz from knowing that people hate us because we pull together and get on with it. (Hi Mr. Bojangles or should i say bitter blue)

Sit back, enjoy the ride cos its more fun winning than losing.

JJP

ps. the fat lady is chirping but she is not singing yet :D

Hi Mr. Bojangles or should i say bitter blue

Quite right jjp, I am indeed a very Bitter Blue, it's in the blood mate as you know :D

However, it's your turn now to be a Bitter Red, you guys don't like it when another Team has stolen your "G0d given right" to win everything :o:D

I didnt say we had the right to win everything. A team has to work hard and play well to win things.(something you wont understand 30 years and counting) Chelsea are not as good as us in 99 or arsenal a few seasons back but they graft for each other and are becoming a very good team. I for one will not slag them because they have raised the bar and its up to the other teams to take it on the chin and take up the challenge. Teams are capable of beating them . it is frustrating that we're not doing it, but it ain't chelsea's fault.

Mr. Mourino has created a winning mentility and he has a chip on his shoulder, which i like but there again haven't all the great managers had that , Ferguson included.

I would never become bitter cos i have seen Utd when Sexton was there and big Ron, so you see, as i said to Lampard10 in an earlier thread,

Sit back, enjoy the ride cos its more fun winning than losing.

I am also saying to him is relax and let everyone call his team but at the end of the day if your team is winning who gives a toss what other fans think.

JJP

As for the thread topic, well watch the other leagues and you will see that the Premier league is still the business

Can I take up a couple of points on here:

Lampard10 – Quote “I think you'll find that lower attendances are due to most people being able to watch the match live.” I think if YOU are honest the lower attendances are due to most people being able to watch the match live AND due to the high cost, with Chelsea leading the way on exorbitant prices. Suggest you go to the Guardian’s webpage as they have had some excellent articles on this subject recently.

Fast Eddie: Your email “I can't agree with this sort of opinion. Surely it is quite clear that it is the never before seen injection of money into Chelsea that has heralded what you describe as 'a new era', it's not an excuse, it's a fact that this is the cause” is spot on mate. I might be keeping a copy of it to use when Chelsea supporters get a chip on the shoulder and think it’s their right to be top dog. In my 38 years of watching football, seeing Chelsea any where near the top has always been a novelty, enjoy it while you can now, I personally don’t begrudge your time at the top and it certainly makes a pleasant change from the usual suspects but don’t expect it to last for ever.

JJP: Quote “Chelsea are not as good as us in 99 or arsenal a few seasons back…”. Define as good as? Do you mean they don’t play as attractive football as Arsenal a season or so back? Certainly the results are proof that Chelsea are as good as any team in recent seasons

JJP: Your lot are on the decline mate, face up to it. You’ve got to replacement Fergie, probably in the summer, and I’m old enough to remember the musical chairs and even the relegation (I was there when our Denis Law – played for us twice remember – back heeled you down the division) when you replaced Matt Busby (wasn’t he a Blue as well). The backbone of your team of Giggs, scholes, Nevs, Keane, Becks, Butts, etc have either moved on or are past their best (with the possible exception of Scholes, though he doesn’t look happy). Granted you’ve got some decent players but they don’t have the camaraderie of your old boys. Yep, City have been creeping up on you over the past seasons and when Fergie leaves and chaos rules, our Stuey will steer our boys above you.

Quote Brad Blue.

Define as good as? Do you mean they don’t play as attractive football as Arsenal a season or so back? Certainly the results are proof that Chelsea are as good as any team in recent seasons

Maybe the word attractive is a good word to use and yes chelsea are not as attractive(noticed you only used Arsenal there : :o ) to watch they but are still getting the results(sigh of champions).

Also Chelsea have to do it for at least 4 seasons to be as good as Utd or Arsenal were. Utd and Aresenal did it for a lot longer.

Quote brad blue.

The backbone of your team of Giggs, scholes, Nevs, Keane, Becks, Butts, etc have either moved on or are past their best (with the possible exception of Scholes, though he doesn’t look happy). Granted you’ve got some decent players but they don’t have the camaraderie of your old boys.

Agreed, but we have still some decent players who could get it together and push Chelsea a little harder. We are not on the decline that much mate.

Quote: Brad Blue,

City have been creeping up on you over the past seasons and when Fergie leaves and chaos rules, our Stuey will steer our boys above you.

Is that a joke. :D

JJP

Maybe the word attractive is a good word to use and yes chelsea are not as attractive(noticed you only used Arsenal there : :o ) to watch they but are still getting the results(sigh of champions).

JJP

Excuse me please. When Arsenal did the double, wern't they labelled the most boring team to have played in Englands top division. Or is that a term reserved for winners by the also-rans?