Who Has A Klx 125?

Have been through a couple threads here on the Kawasaki KLX 125 and been through google... seen mixed reviews, but a couple fairly negative ones which were hard to ignore. However, a lot of the firsthand experience stuff I've seen is fairly positive, however it's from overseas where the bike is pretty much sold as a starter bike for kids.

I am very much considering one, but don't want to waste my money. I used to have a Honda Sonic (bought in 2006) that was small, but comfortable enough. I read the Sonic clocked 12.5 hp while the KLX 125 is only 10hp. However I used that sonic for trips to the city (40 clicks) where that was an issue, and was not put back by it, and now I have a truck so the open road isn't a concern. My use for the KLX will be touring through rice paddy trails in all seasons (so it's gotta be good in mud as well). I also may take it along for the ride in the back of the truck for a visit or two to some more mountainous regions, such as Chiang Mai. But it's primary use will be here in central Isaan where there are no hills. I am 6'4 at 190 lbs and have read a few people say that is much too big for this bike, but the Sonic's small size wasn't an issue for me on local trips. I went to a dealer in Yasothan the other day and sat on a KLX 125 and a D-tracker and both were sufficiently high enough for me, yet not too tall for the wife and seemed adequate for bringing along my small son as a passenger. I didn't give it a test run, yet, which was probably a mistake. Will definitely do so before I purchase, but just a little trip around the block won't really tell me a lot.

Am concerned the 250 version is a bit too much bike for my wife's use and possibly too dangerous to bring my son along on, not to mention it is nearly twice the cost. Originally I'd been planning on buying something small and modified for 20k or often much less, but I don't trust the Thai's when it comes to vehicle history, so am very reluctant to enter into that situation.

So, in general, I've seen negative reviews from 3rd parties who don't seem to have owned a KLX, and positive reviews from owners. But in Thailand bikes are a different story than they are overseas, so I'd like to get some local farang opinion that would be a bit closer to the experience I'm planning for rather than going based on standards set in a different biking climate.

After everything I've read and seen, I am not concerned about size, but moreso about power. If it's as sluggish as my wife's Honda Wave (purchased in 2007) which is a piece of junk now in my opinion, and which I refuse to drive if I can avoid it, then I will probably give the KLX a pass (though I have to admit we've done nothing special for the Wave other than change the oil). But if you have a KLX and have modified it for more power, let me know what you did and what that set you back. Would like to hear your experiences with this bike, with or without mods.

Thanks. that was the primary negative review I came across in my google searches that got my attention. If it hadn't been for that I probably wouldn't have even ended up on Thai Visa looking for more personalized experience. They (from a western use perspective) definitely gave the bike a poor grade.

I wonder what their opinion of a Honda Sonic would have been.

This might help...

MCN KLX 125 review

Thats a UK publication and the bike costs nearly double what it costs over here. Where are you even going to ride something like that in the UK?

Has the OP thought about the KLX140L.

I have a KLX250 and even that's a bit sluggish but the recent snorkel and exhaust has really pepped it up.

Spare parts cost peanuts on the Kawasakis as they are made here.

Thats a UK publication and the bike costs nearly double what it costs over here. Where are you even going to ride something like that in the UK?

Has the OP thought about the KLX140L.

I have a KLX250 and even that's a bit sluggish but the recent snorkel and exhaust has really pepped it up.

Spare parts cost peanuts on the Kawasakis as they are made here.

I asked about the 140 yesterday. I don't think the dealer had a clue. Unfortunately it's not a proper Kawasaki shop. He quoted 150k which is more like the price of the KLX 250 so I suspect he was just saving face and throwing out a number. Might call around on that. Even 83k is way above my initial bike budget, but justifiable (am not considering a Chinese bike, and especially not a Platinum).

Good to know the exhaust made a difference on the 250 but sad to hear that even at 250cc's it was still sluggish.. the D-Tracker I saw at the shop had 5k on it and was in for an oil change. Had a new exhaust on, probably for the same reason, though noisy bikes here seem to be somewhat of a status symbol as well, so can't really speak if that mod made a difference power wise. Thanks for the info on parts. And it sounds like the 250 won't exactly leave me behind, though still way out of my target price range.

Any personal experience with the KLX 140 would also be welcome. I have a feeling the pricing on that is a bit closer to what the 125 is than the dealer quoted, though not sure about the size or anything else, for that matter. Will have to look into it, assuming it can be ordered.

I am pretty sure the KLX140L is a different class of bike as compared to the KLX125. It is purely an off road bike without any lights or indicators. You will need those for road going bikes.

Here in Malaysia, we have the KLX150 which is registrable for road use. It sells for just under 100,000baht otr. The KLX140 cannot be registered and cost 150,000baht. You can ride it anywhere without any bike licence BUT not on gazetted public roads. The components in the 140 are different and shares more similarities with the KX motocross range of bikes.

Also the KLX140L are CBU from Japan. I do not think Thailand produce this bike. At least the ones we get in Malaysia are from Japan. In contrast, the KLX150 is assembled in Malaysia. I think the KLX150 same as the KLX125 with a different engine capacity.

You may like to check Kawasaki's official website in Malaysia at www.kawasaki.com.my

It is in English and you will get some specs from the site.

Hope this helps in a small way.

================================

http://www.kawasaki.com.my/productpage.php?do=product_detail&pro_id=73&year=2009

pYOUTH-SIZE SUPERPLAYBIKES

When Kawasakireleased the KLX110, their goal was to offer an excellent platform forbeginners as well as provide a super playbike with which kids could grow. Butkids are not the only ones who like to play, so for the 2008 model yearKawasaki is offering two new-from-the-ground-up playbikes purpose-built foryouths.

With fun a keyelement, it was essential that the KLX140 models be reliable and easy to use. Asimple yet reliable air-cooled single-cylinder engine with electric starternestled in a sturdy, high-tensile steel perimeter frame offers easy-access,hassle-free fun.

Created by a specialteam of experienced off-road engineers, development testing included not onlyyouth riders but also the same pro riders who worked on our formidable KXmotocross race machines. Consequently, the KLX140 and KLX140L do not pull anypunches when it comes to performance. Engineers and test-riders alike refusedto settle for half-measures. As a result, many of the components (especially onthe chassis) on

these models arederived from KX motocross bikes, ensuring a superior level of off-road fun thatbelies their size.

Not to be outdone,the KLX designers were determined that these playbikes not be mistaken as meretoys. With “sharp” and “aggressive” as keywords, and KX-inspired designelements, they were not satisfied with anything less than a styling packagethat transcended that of our top-of-the-line 4-stroke KX motocrossers.

Developedspecifically for youths and offering easy-access fun with minimal fuss and ahigh level of off-road performance – and the looks to match – these twoyouth-size super playbikes are the ideal package for young riders to becomeacquainted with off-road fun.

KEY FEATURES

IDEAL SIZE FORYOUTHS

Designing theKLX140L new from the ground up has enabled Kawasaki to offer a model that isideal in size and weight for their target riders: youths.

RELIABLE AND EASY TOUSE

Fun is maximisedbecause with the KLX it is so easy to just get on and go. The air-cooledsingle-cylinder engine offers a simple, easy-to-use, highly reliable powerplant. And with electric start, access to fun is a quick push of the buttonaway.

OFF-ROAD FUN BEYONDTHEIR SIZE

Serious about makingthe KLX140L the ultimate playbikes for youth riders, Kawasaki put together aspecial development team: youth test riders were joined by pro MX riders andKawasaki’s top KX engineers. Giving these playbikes the same thorough attentionto detail given our KX racers resulted in their high level of off-roadperformance. In fact, many of their parts came directly from KX machines.

SHARP, AGGRESSIVESTYLING

With theirbox-section perimeter frames, high-grade suspension and KX-style wheels, theKLX140L haS the performance to back up their sharp, aggressive design. The new4-stroke styling that is actually more advanced than that found on ourtop-class KX racers.

laybikes for youth riders, Kawasaki put together a special development team: youth test riders were joined by pro MX riders and Kawasaki’s top KX engineers. Giving these playbikes the same thorough attention to detail given our KX racers resulted in their high level of off-road performance. In fact, many of their parts came directly from KX machines.

SHARP, AGGRESSIVE STYLING

With their box-section perimeter frames, high-grade suspension and KX-style wheels, the KLX140L haS the performance to back up their sharp, aggressive design. The new 4-stroke styling that is actually more advanced than that found on our top-class KX racers.

I am pretty sure the KLX140L is a different class of bike as compared to the KLX125. It is purely an off road bike without any lights or indicators. You will need those for road going bikes.

Here in Malaysia, we have the KLX150 which is registrable for road use. It sells for just under 100,000baht otr. The KLX140 cannot be registered and cost 150,000baht. You can ride it anywhere without any bike licence BUT not on gazetted public roads. The components in the 140 are different and shares more similarities with the KX motocross range of bikes.

Thanks for the info. That's good to know about the 140.. Definitely would like something I can register, just to keep my options open. Although a registration is probably something I'll rarely need around here. A great deal of the bikes in this village are off the grid, but you never know where I'll end up.

List price here says 74,000 baht on the KLX140. There is an article on a 160cc big bore kit available from the US to improve performance. motorcycle dot in dot th/article.php/160cc-Big-Bore-for-the-Kawasaki-KLX140L. 19,000baht plus freight and duty.

The KLX 140 and KLX 140L are not street legal (no headlights and turn lights). If you're in Chiang Mai, X-Centre in Mae Rim uses them for their trail riding tours.

Edited by RED21

Still holding out to see if anyone has owned a 125 and what their experiences with it are.. might try a different Thai forum. As it stands, am generally discouraged from getting the 125 and not considering a 140. Am also again thinking about getting something used and/or built. Too bad though. that KLX 125 is a beautiful bike

Still holding out to see if anyone has owned a 125 and what their experiences with it are.. might try a different Thai forum. As it stands, am generally discouraged from getting the 125 and not considering a 140. Am also again thinking about getting something used and/or built. Too bad though. that KLX 125 is a beautiful bike

It is a beautiful bike, especially the white one. There's a long thread on it and the DTracker 125 on GTRider's Forums. Not sure if I'm allowed to put up the link here so I'll PM it to you instead. Before I got my CBR150Ri I was considering getting the bike since I'm more used to its riding style. When I saw the actual bike I backed down since it was too small for me.

Kawasaki Thailand's KLX125/DTracker125 Bike of the Month Gallery Page

• 4 weeks later...

Decided 83,000 baht was a poor use of my money on a questionable bike. There's probably a reason you don't see too many KLX's around. Probably because of the low 10 bhp

Got this old Yamaha 2-stroker (120cc) instead for 7300THB, bhp unknown, but it's a rocket on the dirt and fun to work on...

p4300023q.jpg

Decided 83,000 baht was a poor use of my money on a questionable bike. There's probably a reason you don't see too many KLX's around. Probably because of the low 10 bhp

Got this old Yamaha 2-stroker (120cc) instead for 7300THB, bhp unknown, but it's a rocket on the dirt and fun to work on...

p4300023q.jpg

What is that bike? Looks like a Honda Tena or RXZ? I would like to make a bike like this.

Looks like someone could easily steal your fuel, since the vacuum fuel pump is exposed on the side :) Mind you looks like you are in the country so you don't need to worry about police, lights, road tax, etc :)

Edited by MaiChai