Help Requested Translating ฉันหรือเธอ From Sek Loso

Jeroen

Hi,

Aftersitting on the fence for some time and learning from the posts in this forum, Idecided it is time now to jump in myself. One of the best and most enjoyableways to learn thai for me is through thai music. I like to sing thai songswhile driving my car and while playingguitar. Thai artists I like are: Sek Loso, Carabao, Big Ass, Endorphine, JoeyBoy.

Currently my favorite song is ฉันหรือเธอ..ที่เปลี่ยนไป from Sek Loso. I got het lyrics from the internet and used other internetresources to translate these. The translation stilldoes not feel right and feels artificial. I would highly appreciate anycorrections or insights on the translation below. I have also added the guitarchords. I have figured them out myself and they may not be 100% correct.

G Am

สิ่งเดียวที่ขอร้องเธอก่อนไป (The only thing Iwant to beg of you)

D G Em

สิ่งเดียวที่อยากให้ใจเธอรับรู้ (the only thing thatI want you to realize)

Am

สิ่งเดียว ที่อยากให้เธอ คิดดู (the only thing that would make her think, view, learn, think

D G/C/G

ให้รู้ ให้คิด ก่อนจะจาก ฉันไป

ลองคิดตรองดูให้ดี สักหน่อย (is to tryto think and meditate a bit)

แล้วค่อย บอกลา จากกันไป (and then say quietly goodbye)

ลองทบลองทวนให้ดี ในหัวใจ (let's try somethingcontrary to the good heart)

ยังรัก ฉันไหม คนดี (do you love me still darling

C

หรือฉันเอง ที่ผิด (or am I mistaken tothink your heart is with him)

D G/F/Em

ที่คิด มีใจ ให้กับเขา

Am

หรือเธอ หูเบา

D Em

จึงทำ ให้เราบาดหมาง (or are younaive that causes us to disagree)

Am D

คิดแยกทาง กันไป (I think our waysseperate)

อยากบอกให้เธอได้รู้ สักครั้ง (I want totell you sometime)

อยากพูดให้เธอได้ฟัง อีกซักหน (I want youto hear something)

ชีวิตของลูกผู้ชาย หนึ่งคน (the life of one man)

มันสับสน เพราะใจ เธอแปรเปลี่ยน (is confused because your heart has changed)

หรือฉันเอง ที่ผิด

ที่คิด มีใจ ให้กับเขา

หรือเธอ หูเบา

จึงทำ ให้เราบาดหมาง

คิดแยกทาง กันไป

อยากบอกให้เธอได้รู้ สักครั้ง

อยากพูดให้เธอได้ฟัง อีกซักหน

ชีวิตของลูกผู้ชาย หนึ่งคน

มันสับสน เพราะใจ เธอแปรเปลี่ยน

ชีวิตของลูกผู้ชาย หนึ่งคน

มันสับสน เพราะเธอ จะลาจาก...

ขอร้อง - [to] beg ;ask ; request

ลอง - try

บอกลา - say goodbye

ค่อย - quietly, silently, softly

ทบทวน - review

หูเบา -[tobe] gullible ; naive

บาดหมาง -[to]be on bad terms

แปรเปลี่ยน -[to]change ; transform ; vary

SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST.. :unsure:

You may already know all this but. ...

Realize that MOST thai songs are written poetically and NOT conversationally.

Many abstract thoughts and emotive feelings are conveyed in ways (and with word constructs) we simply wouldn't use in engrish, yet carry the same meaning in Thai. Try NOT to do word by word translations, look for word groups which carry a different meaning when combined than the individual words. Thats why online translation sites are tough to use. Very few will identify compound words or idioms regularly; although thai-language dot com is getting a LOT better when you use their bulk translation feature!!

Another thing I'm sure you do know, is personal pronouns are routinely left out (just like in casual speech I wouldn't say ผม all the time, when I am speaking first person to someone else). Usually if NO person is designated in the conversation, the person doing the speaking is doing so in the first person. Also realize that in songs, and even in casual conversation amongst friends it's totally okay for a Thai guy to refer to himself as ฉัน. You see this a LOT in songs.

I actually have this song translated somewhere in my music folder but can't find it. I looked on the ethaimusic site but it doesn't have that song under Loso.

FWIW: I think Loso writes about the best Thai rock-n-roll songs meaning-wise out there, as well as having made MILLONS of baht capitalizing on his 'lo-so' image, the exact opposite image of 'hi-so' Thais.

I think Carabaos a washed up, over the hill, total hack :o (but that's just me). His catch phrase เพลงเพื่อชีวิต should really be เพลงเบื่อชีวิต. :D

I like Big Ass, Body Slam, Potato, Micro, even older bands like Smile Buffalo, and Stone Metal Fire; หินเหล็กไฟ (which is really the stone known as "flint").. I also like Jintara Poonlarb and even 'aunty' Bird Thongchai too, so I'm quite diverse.

I agree that learning Thai via music can be a good way to start to understanding how the Thai language goes together. It's especially useful with idiomatic phrases and seeing how emotions and 'felt' things are expressed. I've got hundreds of Thai songs and a LOT of what I thought they meant as far as the engrish translations on my p/c, AND have asked for more than my fair share of help here hashing some of them out too. :rolleyes:

Keep at it though, any interest and anything you can do to increase your understanding of Thai has value, even if only to you!

I'll do my take on a few lines, for you anyway.

สิ่งเดียวที่ขอร้องเธอก่อนไป

I think this line (without a personal pronoun) and ending with ก่อนไป might mean "before (I) go" like; "I want to ask you one thing before I go."

I also don't think he's 'begging', but that's just my take. When you back translate Thai into engrish, don't forget to re-order the words into the way engrish is spoken.

สิ่งเดียวที่อยากให้ใจเธอรับรู้

Correct; "The one thing I want you to know" The heart/mind word ใจ is used and right after it is the pronoun you เธอ (without the possesive word ของ) but still you could possibly embellish this as "The one thing I want you to know in your heart/mind".

สิ่งเดียวที่อยากให้เธอคิดดูให้รู้ให้คิดก่อนจะจากฉันไป

คิดดู is a "compound word" which means amongst other things; "consider

"The one thing I want you to consider, know and think (about) before I leave.

Kinda sorta like that, at least thats my take on the meaning. ;)

Then again I could be WAY off base :( as I tend to take a LOT of creative license when I translate Thai back into engrish .. :D

Other far more illustrious posters than I can give you a better more accurate translation.

On last thing, using Google Thailand you can get lyrics, chord charts and even sometimes the engrish translations on most any Thai song out there, off one site or another.

Good Luck, sorry I couldn't help more. ..

Edited by tod-daniels

While this thread is about translating a specific เสก โลโซ song I thought Id jump a You Tube video of him playing a different one :o . This probably could qualify as the 'unofficial national anthem here. :whistling:

You cant go anywhere in this entire country and NOT hear the song being played. :P Ive heard it from Chiang Rai to Hat Yai, Udon Thani to Surat Thani, and Chantaburi to Kanchanaburi.. <- FWIW; I tried to rhyme those, :D

Heres live version from a LONG time ago; I think it's Sanam Luang in 2002..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7k6gneJAoY

Heres the lyrics too;

ซมซาน - เสก โลโซ

เกิดมาไม่เคยเจอใครเหมือนเธอ

หลับฝันละเมอภาพเธอคอยหลอนทุกคืน

หลับลงคราใดอยากนอนไม่ยอมตื่น

ก็ทุกค่ำคืนเจอเธอที่ปลายฟ้าไกล

ก็ได้แต่เพ้อแต่ฝันลมลม

ก็หลงชื่นชมโดยเธอไม่รู้ตัว

เจอเธอทีไรจิตใจเต้นรัว

ฉันกลัวฉันกลัว กลัวเธอไม่สนใจ

อยากเดินเข้าไปบอกว่ารักเธอ

เวลาที่เจอที่เธอส่งยิ้มมา

เหมือนดั่งโลกนี้สดใสขึ้นทันตา

ในช่วงเวลาที่ต้องการใคร

เข้าใจสักคน

ในช่วงเวลาที่ต้องการใคร

หากเธอมีใจก็บอกกันสักหน่อย

อย่าให้ฉันคอยคอย เธออย่างนี้เลย

ให้คอยนานนาน มันซมซานรู้ไหมเอ่ย

ยิ่งเธอทำเฉยฉันเองจะบ้าตาย

ในช่วงเวลาที่ต้องการใคร

เข้าใจสักคน

Enjoy. .

Note to Modz; if this is too off-topic just delete it. :)

Edited by tod-daniels

Tod, thanks for your reply. I could not have wished a more helpful response to my first post. Thanks also for the bridge. This song is my second favorite song of Sek Loso and easy to play on the guitar. Below are the lyrics with translation and guitar chords, both found online. Additional insights to the translation are again very welcome.

Furthermore on the topic of Sek Loso. I thought the band had split up, but I just learned they recently played in Hollywood in Bangkok. Does anyone know if they are back together again or if this is a one off? I would love to see them one time when I am back in Thailand.

Intro: G/Em/c/d( 2 ครั้ง )

เกิดมาไม่เคยเจอ ใครเหมือนเธอ (Since I was bornI've never met anyone like you)

หลับฝันละเมอ ภาพเธอคอยหลอนทุกคืน (I always dreamabout you in my sleep every night)

หลับลงคราใด อยากนอนไม่ยอมตื่น (Every time I driftoff to sleep I never want to wake up)

ก็ทุกค่ำคืน เจอเธอที่ปลายฟ้าไกล (Every night I seeyou in the edges of the sky)

ก็ได้แต่เพ้อ แต่ฝันลมลม (All I can do is getdelirious to dream about you quietly)

ก็หลงชื่นชมโดยเธอไม่รู้ตัว (so I am infatuated byyou without you knowing it)

เจอเธอทีไร จิตใจเต้นรัว (Everytime I see you myheart beats loudly)

ฉันกลัวฉันกลัว กลัวเธอไม่สนใจ (I'm afraid youmight not take notice)

Refrein: Em/Bm/c/d( 2 ครั้ง )

อยากเดินเข้าไป บอกว่ารักเธอ (I want to walk in andtell you that I love you)

เวลาที่เจอที่เธอส่งยิ้มมา (everytime I notice thatyou are smiling at me)

เหมือนดั่งโลกนี้ สดใสขึ้นทันตา (it's like thewhole world just brightened in my eyes)

ในช่วงเวลาที่ต้องการใคร เข้าใจสักคน (whenever youneed someone to understand)

SOLO:G/Em/C/D [2times]

หากเธอมีใจ ก็บอกกันสักหน่อย (If you already havesomeone please tell me)

อย่าให้ฉันคอย คอยเธออย่างนี้เลย (Don't let me goon with my wishful thinking like this)

ให้คอยนานๆ มันซมซานรู้ไหมเอ่ย (Don't make me waitthis long, i'm very hesitant you know)

ยิ่งเธอทำเฉย ฉันเองจะบ้าตาย (the more you remainaloof each time I get crazier)

(ท่อนฮุ๊คEm/Bm/C/D วน

ง่ายๆมากๆครับ)

ซมซาน [to] be ignominious (schandelijk, smadelijk,oneervol) ; be in strait

เอ่ย [to] say ; speak ; mention, (particleused in riddles and difficult questions)

ยิ่ง extremely ; greatly; much; [to be] extreme ; excessive

ทำเฉย [to] be standoffish ; turn a cold shoulder to

บ้าตาย [to be] crazy ; mad

<SNIP> Furthermore on the topic of Sek Loso. I thought the band had split up <SNIP>

No Loso hasn't broke up, although the band composition changed quite a while ago. He has his accompanying guitarist (Tom Loso), the bass player is from Smile Buffalo (whose name eludes me), and he still has the foreigner (Eric Loso) on drums.

Glad you weren't too peeved at my post(s)... It's not that often I find foreigners who like Thai rock & roll, as most can't understand the meaning of the lyrics. :whistling:

(Although I hate to hi-jack your thread); seeing as you don't seem to mind too much :ermm: , here's another video Loso did with Micro, Big Ass and Body Slam. These bands were NOT known for getting along with each other (on or off stage) AT all! Yet they came together and made this song (possibly because they're all sponsored by Chang beer or on the same record label, dunno). This song came out during the red shirt rally in Bangkok last year, and carries great meaning too.

คนไทยหัวใจเดียวกัน

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEUuYmEGXI

Interestingly enough; if you listen just before the solo, Loso yells "ช้างเอาเลย". From what I could find, this used to be the ancient battle cry when Thais used elephants in warfare and meant; "Bring on the elephants!". However, in this context I think it's really a nod to their sponsor "Chang beer", and means; "Bring me a Chang beer!", :lol: .. Still the double meaning was kinda neat.

You can Google losofc dot com and usually find his current month's tour schedule if you hunt around on the site. It's run by the "Loso Fan Club", which is a 'rabid' group of Thai Loso fans who go to almost EVERY single concert! He routinely plays MANY clubs and venues all over Bangkok each month. I've seen him 20-30 times and he always puts on a good show with TONZ of crowd interaction, taking requests for songs, etc. Sadly, in the smaller venues, after he's had a few drinks, the set does morph into a more freestyle jam-fest ;) but it's still pretty darned good :) !

Oh, you got ซมซาน pretty close, certainly keep at it! It IS a good way to gain better insight into how the language goes together. In fact, I just toured a private Thai language school which uses the karaoke videos of current Thai music as part of their curriculum in the intermediate Thai class they have. :)

EDIT: Sorry about the vid, it looks like the audio is outta-sync a little. .. :(

Edited by tod-daniels

Good to hear that there is hope for me to catch them live sometime, hopefully by the end of the year :) Thanks for explaining "ช้างเอาเลย". Reading your post I remember him saying that on the DVD I got and can recommend to everyone who likes this music: คอนเสิร์ต 12 ปี เสก โลโซ "ใจสั่งมา". I would have never figured out the meaning by myself.

Thanks again for your help!

For a natural-ish translation, I'd do it like this -

สิ่งเดียว ที่ขอร้องเธอก่อนไป The only thing I want to ask of you before you go

สิ่งเดียว ที่อยากให้ใจเธอรับรู้ The only thing I want you to realize

สิ่งเดียว ที่อยากให้เธอคิดดู The only thing I want you to think about

ให้รู้ให้คิด ก่อนจะจากฉันไป to be aware of, before you leave me

ลองคิดตรองดูให้ดี สักหน่อย Think about it well first

แล้วค่อยบอกลา จากกันไป and then say goodbye

ลองทบลองทวนให้ดี ในหัวใจ Think about it in your heart

ยังรักฉันไหม คนดี Do you still love me, my darling ?

หรือฉันเองที่ผิด Or did I do something wrong

ที่คิดมีใจ ให้กับเขา that made you interested in him

หรือเธอหูเบา Or did you believe others too easily

จึงทำให้เราบาดหมาง that made us be on bad terms ?

คิดแยกทางกันไป And have to go our separate ways

อยากบอกให้เธอได้รู้ สักครั้ง I want you to think about it

อยากพูดให้เธอได้ฟัง อีกซักหน I want to tell you that

ชีวิตของลูกผู้ชาย หนึ่งคน The life of this one guy

มันสับสนเพราะใจ เธอแปรเปลี่ยน is messed up, because you've changed

Edited by mike_l

• 2 weeks later...