Butter Is Better Restaurant Closing For Renovations

butterisbetter

Oh Dear . Is that our extent of interest living here?? The desire for Farang food by people who move here and do not really embrace the reality of living here , unless they have farang food.

Oh c'mon be fair, huh? I appreciate the announcement cuz I hardly ever run into town and I was going to swing by this restaurant this week for the first time. My wife is an excellent cook of both Thai and western food but moreso Thai food. We eat it on average twice a day 5-6 days per week. sometimes a change is nice. My wife and kids are out of town this week so I think I'm still heading into one of those bakery outlets. Man does not live by brown rice alone!

Oh Dear . Is that our extent of interest living here?? The desire for Farang food by people who move here and do not really embrace the reality of living here , unless they have farang food.

No, it is only a small part of my interests here, and I would assume it the same interest for many others here.

Have you tried their chocolate cookies or their Brownies ?:licklips:

Edited by LJW

What is the big deal with a sponsor stating that they will be closed. I think that it is fair. It is not like he is spamming with sales and specials like other sponsors.

As for the food, I think that they should stick with baked goods. Their bakery items especially their breads are good as standard as you would get back home. Nothing is exceptional but they are on par with good bakeries back home. However, their actual meals are sub par. One time I ordered the bouillabaisse, what I got was some nasty creamy chicken soup. I think that it is just a matter of going outside of what they are good at.

too many negative remarks,to straightforward questions and information

that is posted on here,to help people,especially in the Chiang Mai forum

and variety is the spice of life pun intented

Worgeordie

No, it is only a small part of my interests here, and I would assume it the same interest for many others here.

My wife cooks delicious brownies and these have proven immense value to some restaurants around Chiang Mai. But I am not dependent upon Farang restaurants , nor their expensive cuisine fuelled by people who continuously take themselves away from the cuisine that is offered from many Thai restaurants and the marvellous variety of menus, because they

( the farangs)just need that Farang menu fix of western fattening food.

I get a little weary of Farangs who come here and also live here long term and laud the value of living in Thailand with it's culture and immediately revert to western cuisine for their day to day living.

Does having a choice of food define anyone's reality? :wacko:

Yes ..it impies the embracing of where you have decided to live long term without retaining your western living standard and previously pre-conditioned perceptions and experiences of your own country and your future willingness to adapt and embrace your new living conditions and all that it entails. Maybe your approach is to bring your own Western values of living in the Western world to an Asian country and continue to try and live out your western historical pattern of eating patterns and living in the world you left behind..

This is Asia...embrace it, live it and enjoy without looking back. at the western world and how life could have been or indeed used to be..

I taught dozens of Thai Uni students in Australia. 95% of them only ate Thai food and spent their weekends watching Korean videos with Thai subtitles. Bondi beach? Forget it. Boatnoodle soup and 6 hours of watching Thai videos, oh yeah.

Wanting what someone misses 'back home' isn't exclusive to westerners.........though the farangs who try and do the whole "look at me, I am like a Thai living here" never seem to notice that.

I taught dozens of Thai Uni students in Australia. 95% of them only ate Thai food and spent their weekends watching Korean videos with Thai subtitles. Bondi beach? Forget it. Boatnoodle soup and 6 hours of watching Thai videos, oh yeah.

Wanting what someone misses 'back home' isn't exclusive to westerners.........though the farangs who try and do the whole "look at me, I am like a Thai living here" never seem to notice that.

It is not a question of "look at me" What I do, I do privately without advertising it...I just observe the comments of others and this forum allows me to speak openly against others who have differing views than mine of living here. This Forum allows us to express a different view point and that is what this forum is about.

Maybe you need to consider my previous comments before you add an unrelated comparison/ criticism that tries to condemn my original innocuous statement of my own beliefs and experience of living here.

My wife cooks delicious brownies and these have proven immense value to some restaurants around Chiang Mai.

So you eat Western food yourself and are bashing a competitor who is a legitimate sponsor. Why didn't you just say that?

I never said that I eat brownies. And nowhere did I say that I eat western foods.. I just mentioned that they are delicious..Perhaps I should clarify...I never eat sweet things..My valuations on her tasty brownies are based upon market research with her customers. And I fail to see how you deduce from my post that I am "bashing" competitors"

Maybe you would do me the courtesy and re-read my post. Many thanks.

Oh c'mon be fair, huh? I appreciate the announcement cuz I hardly ever run into town and I was going to swing by this restaurant this week for the first time. My wife is an excellent cook of both Thai and western food but moreso Thai food. We eat it on average twice a day 5-6 days per week. sometimes a change is nice. My wife and kids are out of town this week so I think I'm still heading into one of those bakery outlets. Man does not live by brown rice alone!

Hi Laanarebirth

A very fair comment... Maybe I misunderstood the simplicity of the OP statement... Just do not like western food......but I am also weak to the odd Panini every three months or sorolleyes.gif

Food, comfort food as it is sometimes called is exactly that. Eating is one of the few endeavors of life that we enjoy most. If we think about all the peoples who have forever moved to different parts of the world, there's one thing for certain that they've remembered to take along: the recipes and foods they enjoyed back home. Every culture has done it, and even within cultures there are countless family recipes that nobody else can duplicate. And they continue to prepare their favorite meals in their homes wherever they live, and share their foods in ethnic restaurants worldwide.

Eating mostly Thai food is preferable for some, and I enjoy many of the local dishes, foods that my mother never made, that's for sure. But some of the best meals in the world were served in her kitchen, and from time to time I try to duplicate something from the past. You probably feel the same way about at least some or maybe even most of the meals served at your family table over the years. I don't think there's any compelling reason to reject or even shy away from the food that we grew up on. If you enjoy it, why not eat what you want without guilt--even a McDonald's now and again if that's your choosing!

Edited by MrBrad

"Butter is Better Restaurant on Chang Klan Road will be closed for renovations from April 11 through April 16. We will reopen on Sunday, April 17.

Our 2 bakery outlets - one inside Rim Ping Supermarket Mee Chok and the other at Nim City - will remain open."

Dao,

Thanks for the alert. You have selected a fine week to do the work, as some of us are staying out of town, or plan to get so wet that we dare not go into a business establishment for fear of flooding the place, but others might have braved the hoses and balloons to find you closed. (Also, your employees might choose to visit home, if they're not needed and "home" is out of town.) Most considerate.

Food, comfort food as it is sometimes called is exactly that. Eating is one of the few endeavors of life that we enjoy most. If we think about all the peoples who have forever moved to different parts of the world, there's one thing for certain that they've remembered to take along: the recipes and foods they enjoyed back home. Every culture has done it, and even within cultures there are countless family recipes that nobody else can duplicate. And they continue to prepare their favorite meals in their homes wherever they live, and share their foods in ethnic restaurants worldwide.

Eating mostly Thai food is preferable for some, and I enjoy many of the local dishes, foods that my mother never made, that's for sure. But some of the best meals in the world were served in her kitchen, and from time to time I try to duplicate something from the past. You probably feel the same way about at least some or maybe even most of the meals served at your family table over the years. I don't think there's any compelling reason to reject or even shy away from the food that we grew up on. If you enjoy it, why not eat what you want without guilt--even a McDonald's now and again if that's your choosing!

Thank you for verbalising what I failed to do as eloquently as you in very honest and simplistic terminology. But I must shy away from Mc Donalds rolleyes.gif

So the USA and UK and every other country should only serve food developed in their own country. Don't you hate all those dam_n Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican and THAI food restaurants all over. Why can't the people in the US only eat American food and the Brits only eat their food.

You think you FIT because you eat Thai food or married a Thai woman?? I have a feeling you never fit anywhere!

My wife cooks delicious brownies and these have proven immense value to some restaurants around Chiang Mai. But I am not dependent upon Farang restaurants , nor their expensive cuisine fuelled by people who continuously take themselves away from the cuisine that is offered from many Thai restaurants and the marvellous variety of menus, because they ( the farangs)just need that Farang menu fix of western fattening food.

You're not really "real" until you drink the Lao Kao with the locals and eat snakes and frogs... that's just one type of Farang living here, those who have declared it their goal to be the most fitting-in. They're often more Thai than the Thais. Good for you!

I get a little weary of Farangs who come here and also live here long term and laud the value of living in Thailand with it's culture and immediately revert to western cuisine for their day to day living.

You think too much about what other people do.

By the way, Thais are way less religious about their foods than you are, apparently. If I go to Giorgio's or the Duke's original location, I am always a little bit surprised how the majority of the customers is Thai. Variety is the spice of life!

My wife cooks delicious brownies and these have proven immense value to some restaurants around Chiang Mai. But I am not dependent upon Farang restaurants , nor their expensive cuisine fuelled by people who continuously take themselves away from the cuisine that is offered from many Thai restaurants and the marvellous variety of menus, because they

( the farangs)just need that Farang menu fix of western fattening food.

What a bizarre post. Who are you to tell others how to live their lives? So what if they don't want to eat Thai food.

So the USA and UK and every other country should only serve food developed in their own country. Don't you hate all those dam_n Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican and THAI food restaurants all over. Why can't the people in the US only eat American food and the Brits only eat their food.

You think you FIT because you eat Thai food or married a Thai woman?? I have a feeling you never fit anywhere!

! ! AMEN

It is not a question of "look at me" What I do, I do privately without advertising it...I just observe the comments of others and this forum allows me to speak openly against others who have differing views than mine of living here. This Forum allows us to express a different view point and that is what this forum is about.

Maybe you need to consider my previous comments before you add an unrelated comparison/ criticism that tries to condemn my original innocuous statement of my own beliefs and experience of living here.

I wasn't refering to you. Just a general comment. A lot of westerners in Chiang Mai seem to want to do the whole "look at me, I am so Thai. I only eat Thai food and only speak to Thai people. People who travel to another country and don't act like the locals are losers" etc etc etc.

Yet Thais abroad are just about the worst for integration I've ever met.

I don't see a problem with someone enjoying Chiang Mai, enjoying the local culture etc........but also enjoying a cake when the mood strikes or watching some TV from back home at night.

I spend days at a time with only Thais and, personally speaking, I enjoy breaking out of that occasionally. The whole idea of "local culture" is overated. It's not like Chiang Mai people sit around telling glorious stories of Lanna history non stop all day. Most sit glued to a TV watching mindless 'entertainment', shopping in air conditioned malls, enjoying coffee in western style coffee places or eating at the many local Japanese and Korean resteraunts.

I suppose you watch ONLY Thai television and films and listen to ONLY Thai music. I question why you are on this site typing and reading english?

I was thinking the same thing Snasai. How boorish to even stoop so low as to be typing in English, thinking in English. Being a 100% Thai-Farang means going hardcore to the max. Surrounding yourself with all these lazy English words and talking to Farang is for those who don't know how to make Thai friends. I mean, why would you come here to talk to fatty Farang, eat their fatty foods, and speak their fatty language.

And btw.... K Rain, you check it out. Who are the customers in Chez Marco, Butter is Better, The Duke's, Miguel's ? You take a survey and you're gonna see these places making a good share of their livings off of Thai customers. Because good food made with love is the draw. And good food made the way the natives make it especially. It's the same reason back in The States I eat at all the (stoop so low) native Korean, Viet, Thai, Greek, Mexican and etc. restaurants. Shame those foreigners never learn to fully blend in !

When I was in the UK, I think I probably ate food from 10 different countries in any given week. The same is true now. I dont eat Thai Food any more than I eat any other type of food.

Raindancer - You talk with such passion about embracing the culture you live in. Its sad to think that you do not broaden your horizons, and try foods from other cultures too. I understand it may be a bit more expensive, but I personally enjoy the variety.

Now, if you're on a budget, then eating 100% local Thai is the way to go. I certainly wouldn't put myself on a pedestal if thats all I ate though!

WOW I can't believe that a simple notice about a restaurant closing for renovation could generate such a discussion on the 'ideal' of who should eat what. This is nuts.

IMO there is only so much food of any type one can eat before craving something else. When I was in the US, I crave Thai/chinese (can't find pure Thai food in WI), once a week; donut twice a week; pizza on the weekend. The rest of the time I would eat the local US food. Over here, it's the opposite, 5days out of 6 on Thai food, then I have the urge for fat dripping, gut busting burger :whistling:.

Sanai, can you define US food? Cos I have a very hard time with that definition. The only one I have is BURGER, HOT DOGS.

Jeez, Raindancer, not another one who thinks if you live in Thailand you have to eat Thai food!! Dont be so narrow minded!! International Cuisine as is now available in CM is precisely that.....you can eat whatever you want...Thai food when you feel like it, Bread/ Cakes/ Pies etc if you feel like it.....I enjoy Thai food but I also enjoy my regular fixes of the aforementioned too. Nothing wrong with that!!

Or are you a "food fascist"? A few weeks ago someone I know came out with the laughably daft comment that if you live in Thailand you should get to like Thai (Pop) music!!!! Really?? I dont think so!!

Anyway, back on topic about BiB....

I'm looking fwd to seeing what changes they make as the main location still had the Bake n Bite stamp on it as they kind of transitioned right on in when BnB moved to their Wat Gaet location.

As for closures and missing out on their goods.... yes ! But we have to watch RTD's weight too, so I can't always indulge. That being said though, their whole Chocolate Torte is quite a deal money-wise and freezes well. I only need to go downstairs and grab a little wedge every few days or so to satisfy my Farang chocolate cravings. It also makes for easy dessert improvisations if I have company over. It's a freezer staple.

My wife cooks delicious brownies and these have proven immense value to some restaurants around Chiang Mai.

So you eat Western food yourself and are bashing a competitor who is a legitimate sponsor. Why didn't you just say that?

I never said that I eat brownies. And nowhere did I say that I eat western foods.. I just mentioned that they are delicious..Perhaps I should clarify...I never eat sweet things..My valuations on her tasty brownies are based upon market research with her customers. And I fail to see how you deduce from my post that I am "bashing" competitors"

Maybe you would do me the courtesy and re-read my post. Many thanks.

Back in the days of the British Empire, they used to say that eating rice more than once a day could make you go crazy. In your case Raindancer, they may have had a point, I was pondering this issue this morning up at Meechok Plaza whilst my wife ate at a noodle shop and I had a MacDonalds breakfast!

Cant; add any more at the moment as I'm in conference with OdleBellPedr, thinking up ways of 'spamming Newbie001 with sales and specials!' !

BTW thanks for the info Dao, as you know, we often have a bite to eat in your place and I hope your renovations bring you lots of extra business!