Fresh Whole Thai Coffee Beans

zzaa09

The Thai coffee production has expanded over the recent years, in yield and quality. As today, one can find sub-varieties in the least expected locales. I've been rather out-of-the-loop regarding the good Thai coffee available in the last several years. Does anyone out there know where the most flavourful Thao coffee beans are grown......and available for purchase. What type? Can I purchase from the specific region? En lieu of the more common coffee shopping experiences at the major shopping centres. Thanks!:)

It's too bad there have been no replies to your post in the last 2 years. I would love to know where I can get some Thai grown coffee beans. I live in Sakon Nakhon and can't get good coffee beans anywhere here. I usually buy a few bags of Espresso or French Roast beans at Starbucks when I pass through the airport on the way home but it is quite expensive.

A couple years ago in Phuket Town I had an excellent coffee at a shop and the girl told me the beans came from Chiang Mai but she couldn't tell me the name of the company. I looked and there was no writing on the bag(?!) so it was impossible to find where in Chaing Mai they were made.

Most of the coffee shops I've been in in Thailand use the terrible beans from "Bon Cafe". No self-respecting coffee lover would buy those.

Have you had any luck finding a good local bean?

It's too bad there have been no replies to your post in the last 2 years. I would love to know where I can get some Thai grown coffee beans. I live in Sakon Nakhon and can't get good coffee beans anywhere here. I usually buy a few bags of Espresso or French Roast beans at Starbucks when I pass through the airport on the way home but it is quite expensive.

A couple years ago in Phuket Town I had an excellent coffee at a shop and the girl told me the beans came from Chiang Mai but she couldn't tell me the name of the company. I looked and there was no writing on the bag(?!) so it was impossible to find where in Chaing Mai they were made.

Most of the coffee shops I've been in in Thailand use the terrible beans from "Bon Cafe". No self-respecting coffee lover would buy those.

Have you had any luck finding a good local bean?

Years ago, when I lived in the Sukhothai-Phitsanulok region {before settling in Surin}, I was quite taken by the ever-emerging Thai coffee market. At that time, the growing areas were limited to the highlands of Phetchabun and Loei. A decade and more has seen the very climate-sensitive plant expand greatly throughout numerous northern, northeastern, northwestern provinces. From Nan to Tak and everywhere else in between. As to be expected, this newly emerging "Thai coffee" market directed itself to the fashionable trendy West, where our lovely coffee might be difficult to acquire locally. Sure, good Thai coffee can be secure at the usual Big C and Tesco - yet the variety is forcibly limited......there is the emerging domestic market, where fresh Thai coffee can be found at the higher-end restaurants, bistros, and hotels directed to Farang. As these odd and exotic coffee varieties are clearly available to the public, ones needs to go to the particular locale to purchase fresh beans.....which are quite available nearby. Road-side stand are very profuse around the growing areas.

• 9 months later...

coffee1.gif You might check out this website.

I'm not recommending them...I don't know anything about them except what i saw during a quick read on their website,

Anyhow, here's their website.

http://www.getthaicoffee.com/the-story.php

coffee1.gif

Do a google or yahoo search on "buying Thai coffe beans in Thailannd" and other sites will also pop up.

Admittedly, most are talking about volume sales...not to individual consumers.

I like the Lao Coffee better. I survived by drink a few cups up day in Ubon by getting freshly roasted coffee beans direct from a small company in Paxse called Delta Coffee. (They have a website somewhere). Since moving back to Australia I still found it the best out there so now get him to post me 20kg at a time!

• 2 weeks later...

I much prefer Vietnamese grown beans. There is an expat in Thailand that is importing them in HUGE amounts and roasts them himself. I buy direct from him and they are always freshly roasted and reasonably priced. PM me and I will pass you his info if interested.

• 1 month later...

Just a note about Elefin Cafe on Suk Soi 1. They have great beans for sale, all dark roasted (for better or worse) on the premises but the price just jumped in March from 250 B for 250 g to 350 B. A nasty rise there that will prevent me from buying any more. They're good, but they're not that good.

But they do an excellent Americano and for that I will return.