Life Of A Retiree In Bangkok

JurgenG

About two years ago a relative came to visit us in Bangkok, here he met an aunt of my gf and they developed a special friendship. Both are the same age, both civil servant, single ...Both are nice people, we were happy for them.

Then early this month this relative announced he will take an early retirement and move to Bangkok ... The problem is my gf's aunt has still a minimum of 5 years to work before retirement.

What an active retiree, young (only 55) can do in Bangkok to keep busy and not get bored.?

Well. if the civil servant has special job skills, a work permit can be sought to allow volunteer work on behalf of a charity. Consideration should be given to taking some continuing education courses such as Thai culture or Thai language. Joining a fitness club or taking up a sport or other hobby helps. Thailand offers some excellent wildlife watching or plant collecting options. Gardening is a passion for some and here one can grow all kinds of beautiful plants and flowers one cannot in the EU.

Failing that there is the clubbing and whoring aspect that often seduces the elderly retiree. This unfortunately will ruin just about any relationship and bring an early death to the elderly visitor.. Hence the importance of taking up the activities in the first paragraph. :)

Depends on the person, he can join a gym. He can learn Thai, learn to take pictures, go fishing, ride a motorbike and explore Thailand, many other things too. He can study again for something. But if this relationship is to survive he better not visit too many bars as the temptation is great then.

Well. if the civil servant has special job skills, a work permit can be sought to allow volunteer work on behalf of a charity. Consideration should be given to taking some continuing education courses such as Thai culture or Thai language. Joining a fitness club or taking up a sport or other hobby helps. Thailand offers some excellent wildlife watching or plant collecting options. Gardening is a passion for some and here one can grow all kinds of beautiful plants and flowers one cannot in the EU.

Failing that there is the clubbing and whoring aspect that often seduces the elderly retiree. This unfortunately will ruin just about any relationship and bring an early death to the elderly visitor.. Hence the importance of taking up the activities in the first paragraph. :)

I think your second paragraph should come first.

I suspect that the OP is worrying unnecessarily. If his friend has half a brain he will have considered exactly what to do with his time, surely?........ wouldn't he ?

If your friend came to Thailand and hooked up with a 55 yr old Thai woman. You need not worry about him whoring or clubbing. He seems to be immune.

I don't work and my days are filled.

Turn him on to Thaivisa. It seems to fill many people's lives.

Edited by mstribling

Thanks for your reply. The bar scene is of course excluded. One other thing our relatives are in common is to be quite conservative persons.

Cardholder you're right my relative told me not to worry, he's planning everything with my gf aunt for month. But he never really live outside of Europe so I'm not so sure he is really realistic about life in Bangkok.

Joining some course at the university is a great idea, the kind of think he would appreciate. Also all the outdoor activities are great ideas but as my gf aunt is living in Bangkok, I don't think he would leave the city, at least not before he has made a couple of friends here, I'm looking for something to do in Bangkok. Is there any place in Bangkok where can he meet like minded western people ? I guess the university is still the best place where.to start.

Thanks for your reply. The bar scene is of course excluded. One other thing our relatives are in common is to be quite conservative persons.

Cardholder you're right my relative told me not to worry, he's planning everything with my gf aunt for month. But he never really live outside of Europe so I'm not so sure he is really realistic about life in Bangkok.

Joining some course at the university is a great idea, the kind of think he would appreciate. Also all the outdoor activities are great ideas but as my gf aunt is living in Bangkok, I don't think he would leave the city, at least not before he has made a couple of friends here, I'm looking for something to do in Bangkok. Is there any place in Bangkok where can he meet like minded western people ? I guess the university is still the best place where.to start.

Jurgen... the best fishing is INSIDE Bangkok. Many times there are foreigners out there too.

The big questions are; can the OP`s relative afford to do any of the above, support who sounds like a really nice lady and stay in Thailand for the rest of his life?

If yes; then he should have no problems having fun in Thailand. ENJOY.

I think everyone has recognised the importance of having a plan or SOMETHING to do in retirement. I imagine that if sufficient thought has gone into it (and if your friend has an open/positive frame of mind) he will soon find his own level. Sometimes one can try and be too prescriptive in these matters - let events SLOWLY unfold.

I think it is a very good thing that he and his partner will be forced to spend time apart (by virtue of her employment) - I see too many couples joined at the hip when, perhaps, a bit of personal space would give the relationships more chance.

Which university would you recommend ? For the programs and for the people (foreigners) you can meet there .

Based on a 55 y.o. foreigner, a bit nerdy, a bit conservative and without much experience of living abroad

Edited by JurgenG

Hi Jurgen,

I'm sure you have the best interests of your relative at heart, but I find your whole post really patronising. I'm 55 and if I chose to retire early and move to Thailand to be with a woman I'd known for a while, I wouldn't appreciate a nephew soliciting advice on how I could fill my time. I can find all that out for myself.

He's obviously not senile, this lady is not the usual 'bar girl' - what business is it of yours what he does?

Just wondering what you're worried about?

Hi Jurgen,

He's obviously not senile, this lady is not the usual 'bar girl' - what business is it of yours what he does?

Just wondering what you're worried about?

To be honest, my gf's aunt is herself a bit worried by this situation. Both were happy to meet each other after the lost of their previous spouse. They have a lot of things in common. During the past two years they enjoyed visiting each other. The decision from my "uncle" to move to Bangkok were a first very exciting but now that it becomes a reality, my gf's aunt is getting more worried : how is going to get by, how will he be accepted ... Beside us, she hasn't tell anybody about it. You have to understand, she's a relatively conservative middle age lady, it's a big step for her

It has always been agreed that my "uncle" will find an accomodation on his own, at first he will first stay at our house. I just try to find as many things to do for my uncle so he will be busy and meet friends and becomes independant as fast as possible

What about worrying ? Even my gf complains that I worry too much about things that haven't even happen yet. But that's part of my job description, to worry about things that haven't happen yet so they will never happen.

So what about these universities ?

Edited by JurgenG

Thanks for the last remarks but it isn't very helpful.

Someone in the general forum started a thread "bored in the sticks" . Give me a brush cutter and I've fun for days. I clear a bit of jungle, dig a pond, make a little garden, bring two benches and a table, have a beer and when I get bored I start somewhere else.

Not everybody the same.

Sure, my uncle has probably some plans. But he's not a tourist, he's coming here full time. How many times can you visit the Grand Palace before you get bored ? I'm talking long term activities that gives you the opportunity to meet like minded people. Agree there is a lot of things to do but to to it alone isn't much fun. As I said before, the only people he knows, my gf's aunt, my gf and I, are all busy during the day.

Thanks in advance for the good advises

Bored? Wouldn't he be bored anywhere at retirement?

He was a civil servant, he's most likely been bored for his entire working life.

I'd hardly consider him elderly at 55.

I agree ,and a side trip to Nana etc may open his eyes to whats really advailable in Thailand .He may relive a second youth wirh a girl half his age .IE ,dump the granny and rather conservative nephew LOL !

Thailand has a way of filling up your time very quickly.

When I first got here I took a term of Thai language 4 hours a day 5 days a week. It was not near enough. I should have done 6 hours in class and two with a tutor for at least a year. It is not like it is expensive.

After 6 months in the country my life began to fill up with things to do and education was not easy to schedule. Then I started working and one job led to another and I had no time at all.

College and language course do it while you have the time.

He can work as an extra in movies and TV commercials, and meet a lot of people (Thai and farang). He'll make a few baht, perhaps meet someone famous, and it's more fun than sitting around watching either the grass grow or television.

I retired at 55 to come and live in Thailand. Never been bored once (well ok - the occasional prolonged visit to family relatives can get tedious if you forget your book or laptop) and I live in Issaan without the added cultural and leisure opportunities Bangkok can bring. He's an intelligent bloke and I suspect he will have been looking forward to not working for some time - don't feel sorry for him. He will probably feel sorry for you if you are still having to work!

The only thing he doesn't have is the chance to come up to Bangkok for a few days a month as a change of scenery, which I enjoy!