The Price Of Democracy?

JohnLee

I hope it doesn't happen again to! The price of democracy is sometimes steep and putting down an armed insurrection in BKK was expensive in the death toll. Even though the youtube is pure red propaganda it does remind us the lengths that corrupt politicians like Thaksin will go to, to subvert democracy.

Edited by jdinasia

I hope it doesn't happen again to! The price of democracy is sometimes steep and putting down an armed insurrection in BKK was expensive in the death toll. Even though the youtube is pure red propaganda it does remind us the lengths that corrupt politicians like Thaksin will go to, to subvert democracy.

Agreed 100%. We've seen enough of the color coded street protests. I hope by now everyone has internalized that the remaining problems need to be solved through the parliamentary system, however flawed that may be. Nothing good will come of more polarizing protests or, God forbid, street violence.

What happened last year was a tragedy and neither side was completely innocent. We are lucky it stopped short of turning into a civil war. I hope that we can all put it behind us and move on. I think most parties are willing and have had enough. Unfortunately, I doubt Thaksin will ever have enough shame to stop dishonoring the memories of those who died until he himself is dead and turned to ashes.

...or even the present political circles - bending over backwards to suppress democracy {whatever that is}. You're obviously not knowledgeable about contemporary Thai history to understand that this has been going on for decades. The corruption, the riots, the massacres, etc. And it matters little as to what government is ruling the roost at that moment. They're all from the same club.

I watched Robert Amsterdam's video speech to the red shirts on Sunday night, very inflammatory.

Thai democracy will be better if misguided foreigners keep their thoughts to themselves and not try to brainwash the populous in the same way as the well known ex prime minister is doing.

I watched Robert Amsterdam's video speech to the red shirts on Sunday night, very inflammatory.

Thai democracy will be better if misguided foreigners keep their thoughts to themselves and not try to brainwash the populous in the same way as the well known ex prime minister is doing.

Democracy as a whole, not just the Thai variant, would be a whole lot better if people accepted that democracy does not mean you get your way the whole time.

This has become common fodder for well-known foreign journalists that have a bug up their <deleted> and expel intensity towards something that they have little interest in nor have a real irons in the fire. This is even truer of the collection of resident ex-pats {be they families here or not} that display political opinion and angst towards their surroundings. There is nothing we can do anyway....except bitch and whinge everyday. The Thai populous will decide their fate and destiny......though, it would be to their overall and subjective advantage if they had the ability to avail themselves to every sort of information and sources that they wish to absorb. In time, the Thai population will take care of itself - let them decide what might be good for them - without the propaganda from every which side. This current climate doesn't lend itself to the ideals of free and open information and news, instead the overwhelming majority are subjected to state censorship and paranoia. When {and if} this ever changes for the better, then Thailand might become a better order.

Well, Robert Amsterdam is Thaksin's personal propaganda agent. He's an employee being paid a great deal of money. Just doing his job, as if he gives a rat's ass what happens to Thailand

Yeah, leave that to the misguided Thais :blink:

This is even truer of the collection of resident ex-pats {be they families here or not} that display political opinion and angst towards their surroundings. There is nothing we can do anyway.

Not really sure I agree with you here. Myself and many others in the telecom segment either lost their jobs or were severely impacted by the unmatched and extreme perversion of the industry under Thaksin. Many on here seem to think Thaksin was no worse than others. I think my "whining and complaining" as you call it can do some good towards helping other expats understand that this view is misguided. Thaksin is substantially worse than anyone else has ever been. I have worked with many corrupt and self centered individuals in Thailand. Thaksin took this to a whole new level. If I can help only a few people to understand this, and they can influence their Thai families to reject him, then there has been a point to what I say beyond simple moaning.

This current climate doesn't lend itself to the ideals of free and open information and news, instead the overwhelming majority are subjected to state censorship and paranoia.

Not just state censorship and paranoia. The red propaganda is alive and well in many Thai villages, and much more significant in many cases than what they hear through state media. Thai propaganda is equally active on both sides of the color coded divide. No reason to single out the state for this dubious honor.

In any case, I truly hope the color protests are over. There is nothing else to be gained by further polarizing society, no matter who wins in the coming election.

I wish there was a component that was pushing nonviolent protest. Gandi and Martin Luther King overcame huge opposition and effected real change. It's a lot harder for them to shoot you down when you are committed to nonviolence.

It seems to me that there are two extreme sides that do not reflect the majority of the Thai people who want workable solutions and for the fighting to stop. Ultimately both sides will have to work togather to solve the complex problems of a modern society. Maybe they should look to America for an example of what not to aspire to.