Living In Thailand

tropicalseeker

You've posted this in a community forum. Are you asking people who live in Krabi? Or Thailand in general. If so, your post is better off in the General forum...

Agreed, I'll move this to General. If you target a particular area then post again in that area's forum.

And to answer your question. I love it here on Phuket Island never looked back since leaving my home country 15 years ago.

The food and everything here is great but I really do miss the traffic, bad weather, expense, being watched by about 300 camers everyday, not being able to say anything of common sense because of the PC brigade and numerous other things about the UK...If your life isnt complete without them, best stay where you are

And to answer your question. I love it here on Phuket Island never looked back since leaving my home country 15 years ago.

Agreed. I love it here in Chiang Mai and left my home country 20 years ago. Going back to my own country for more than a vacation would be most depressing.

The food and everything here is great but I really do miss the traffic, bad weather, expense, being watched by about 300 camers everyday, not being able to say anything of common sense because of the PC brigade and numerous other things about the UK...If your life isnt complete without them, best stay where you are

Its completely different in ways that you don't expect.

As ESB7 points out, the weather is one hell of a lot better here (as long as you can stand the heat), the traffic is better (once you get used to the way people drive here), expenses are cheaper here (as long as you live cheaply) and the PC brigade are not here (as long as you say nothing derogatory about the monarchy and are VERY careful not to upset a local causing them to 'lose face').

Personally, I love it here as I enjoy a quiet life and still can't quite believe how lucky I am to live in my dream (beautiful, tropical large garden with nobody nearby) - but still recognise the downside and will point it out.

As ESB7 points out, the weather is one hell of a lot better here (as long as you can stand the heat), the traffic is better (once you get used to the way people drive here), expenses are cheaper here (as long as you live cheaply) and the PC brigade are not here (as long as you say nothing derogatory about the monarchy and are VERY careful not to upset a local causing them to 'lose face').

Personally, I love it here as I enjoy a quiet life and still can't quite believe how lucky I am to live in my dream (beautiful, tropical large garden with nobody nearby) - but still recognise the downside and will point it out.

Please help us all and point out the downside!

The pluses that brought me here are

(1) Inexpensive to live.

(2) Warm weather

(3) No feminists

(4) No political correctness

(5) I am an elegible bachelor here

(6) women are submissive and kind by nature

(7) Everyday life is simple.

The things I miss the most

(1) Sailing which includes racing in 2 one design fleets plus hrf. And cruising on my sailboat.

(2) Working around my houses. I actually miss drywalling and painting walls and mowing the yards.

(3) Catching fresh salmon and crabs and prawns and eating them right away on the boat.

What will keep me from returning.

(1) Feminist nazis

(2) Political correctness

(3) Healthcare going down the tubes.

(3) Americas influence in my country.

(4) So many things syndicated same music across the country, same television shows same companies designing malls and shoppping centers etc. It is becoming a cookie cutter world there.

(5) A consumer world that doesnot support their own nations labour. Buys at the best price and doesnot care where it was made. To me this has a finite end of destroying the economy.I canot stand to be there and watch it happen.

With that all said Thailand is better

Edited by lovelomsak

You take the good. You take the bad.

you forgot "the ugly" ( im not volunteering):whistling:

I'm volunteering, by Lovelomsaks criteria :rolleyes:.

Unfortunately I'm a Western female, am not subservient and have different opinions to him!

The devil incarnate epitomising all that is wrong with Western society....

(1) Inexpensive to live.

(2) Warm weather

(3) No feminists

(1) Sailing which includes racing in 2 one design fleets plus hrf. And cruising on my sailboat.

(2) Working around my houses. I actually miss drywalling and painting walls and mowing the yards.

(3) Catching fresh salmon and crabs and prawns and eating them right away on the boat.

(1) Feminist nazis

(4) So many things syndicated same music across the country, same television shows same companies designing malls and shoppping centers etc. It is becoming a cookie cutter world there.

(5) A consumer world that doesnot support their own nations labour. Buys at the best price and doesnot care where it was made. To me this has a finite end of destroying the economy.I canot stand to be there and watch it happen.

:lol: I'm talking about this forum.

Please help us all and point out the downside!

Thailand can either make you or break you.

You have to remember that for farangs Thailand is not the land of opportunity. You need to be fully self sufficient from the very beginning right up the very end.

Come well prepared financially and in good health, then you will love it here, come over as a budget farang on a hope and a prayer that things will work out, then it could turn into a living nightmare.

Just somethings to thing about before making the plunge.

Come well prepared financially and in good health, then you will love it here, come over as a budget farang on a hope and a prayer that things will work out, then it could turn into a living nightmare.

Very sound advice. If you can't afford full health insurance at least buy an accident insurance plan to cover hospital bill. You can buy quite cheaply from Thai insurance companies. Well worth the money especially if you plan to drive a motor bike.

We've discussed this topic from different perspectives almost weekly. There IS no one answer that fits everyone. Finances, taste in foods, adaptibility, language problems, personal interests, sexual needs all come into play when deciding what is right for each person. Some people like the various seasons and others like a warm, tropical climate. I know many people who can't stand the heat.

All those things you miss are available in Thailand in abundance.

As for no. (6) I think mine must be broken.

I find that there are more arbitrary irrelevant generalisations here compared to other places.

People here tend to be easily stereotyped, and there is little need to take account of specific details of any situation, simple preconceptions will suffice.

Generally speaking, you can build your life around responses to simple one-line questions on TV, without any personal details or information on specific circumstances. Life here is much simpler than in other countries, as people are so much more one-dimensional, thai and farang alike

SC

EDIT: Whether that is better or worse may depend on your own values and standards

Edited by StreetCowboy

(1) Inexpensive to live.

(2) Warm weather

(3) No feminists

(1) Feminist nazis

[u](3) Americas influence in my country

Must admit we done see many Iraqis or Afghans on here. a big welcome to you :whistling:

People here tend to be easily stereotyped, and there is little need to take account of specific details of any situation, simple preconceptions will suffice.

Life here is much simpler than in other countries, as people are so much more one-dimensional, thai and farang alike

Yes. Must be something in the water, yes? :whistling: As long as one limits their circle, these perceptions will always exist.;)