New Requirements For 'O' Visa 1.4.2011

Hello chums, I have been waiting for Hull consulate to reply to my email about getting a new visa in the uk summer, originally in february theysaid that acopy of the rental agreement would be fine, then in march they said they required a residency permit for Thailand, I think we identified this as the same document needed for obtaining a driving licence and could be acquired at the local immigration office. Along with other I waited for clarification from Hull.

I wrote to Hull again last friday asking what do I require?

Today they have sent me a new attachment, looking at the new 'O' requirements, residency permit, residing in Thailand is no longer there!!!!!!!

A person over 50 is OK visiting as a pensioner showing an income of over 900.00 per month now seems my only option. The new form is dated 1.4.2011.

Have just been and looked at the Hull website, changes dated 8.4.2011. Can now visit as a pensioner with evidence of pension being recieved or as a person over 50 and retired showing Bank statement with monthly income of 900.00 pounds.

For those who have assets here this does not look promising, I do not understand the reasoning or the constant changing of the goal posts,

Go and look at the new rules in additional requirements for non immigrant 'O' visas.

I am confused???? When you apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, the requirement is 65,000 Baht a Month.

And the Embassy is putting out: Can now visit as a pensioner with evidence of pension being received or as a person over 50 and retired showing Bank statement with monthly income of 900.00 pounds.

Just for simple arithmetic 900 Pounds times the currant rate of 48.84 only comes to 43,956 Baht a few short of 65,000???

I am confused???? When you apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, the requirement is 65,000 Baht a Month.

And the Embassy is putting out: Can now visit as a pensioner with evidence of pension being received or as a person over 50 and retired showing Bank statement with monthly income of 900.00 pounds.

Just for simple arithmetic 900 Pounds times the currant rate of 48.84 only comes to 43,956 Baht a few short of 65,000???

You are confusing the Hull consulate with immigration in Thailand. The two are not the same and do not speak for each other. 65,000 baht income per month it is when dealing with immigration in Thailand. A non-immigrant "O" visa received from Hull is not the same as a one-year extension of stay received from immigration in Thailand.

Edited by InterestedObserver

mmm can see an upsurge in ed visas and marriages in the coming 6 months no doubt lot of people with longterm girlfriends been using this type visa and now it is no more................

The upsurge in students applying for ED visas is already there. Visa requirements seem to be getting less and less friendly for those who want to stay in Thailand long term.

Maybe that the authorities feel anyone under 50 is not a 'pensioner' and should not be here long term unless married, working or for education.

Have they at last looked at all those 'border runs' in full, collated the evidence and decided they are being made by people here working illegally?

Looking at it from the authorities point of view, they must wonder why people do so many border runs when they can get tourist visas for tourists, education visas for education and retirement visas for older people and so on.

Not being nasty at all, but surely those married to a Thai, in education, over 50 and tourists are already catered for? If you are here for purposes of seeing your girlfriend is 6 months not long enough with a back to back tourist visas?

How many dirrerent types of visa are really needed?

I can see some problems arising. People overstaying and living underground. Less people here to rent condos and houses. Less Thai women pumping several men at the same time for money and also less men - especially younger ones - available too. [That last might be good for us older folk :whistling: )

I mentioned in another thread running on here which I now can't locate that I'd sent a email to Hull concerning their ambigious choice of words with their usage of "residence permit". I also asked about visa options for myself (FWIW: I'm not a Brit, but just a nosy American :whistling: pretending to be one to get some answers, ;) ).

Here's the body of the email I sent;

I am a UK national and received a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O visa from Hull about 15 months ago for the purpose of visiting friends. I see on your website this is no longer a viable reason to get this type of visa.

I do not qualify for another visa type, not married to a Thai national, not of sufficient age to secure a retirement extension here, etc. I currently live here in Thailand, rent an apartment, bank here, etc.

I see you require a 'residency permit' for a Non-O. Can I use the letter or residency I get from the UK embassy here in Bangkok, or one I can get from Thai Immigrations as sufficient proof of residency? There is no such thing as a "residency permit" in Thailand, but there is a "proof of residency" document issued.

Also what requirements are needed to get a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-B visa? Can Hull issue a Type-B visa if I write a letter saying I am requesting this visa to look into business opportunities in Thailand?

Please advise me on the best course of action. I will be returning to the UK later next month and would like to secure another yearly visa.

Thank you in advance for your reply and for any advice on my situation.

Tod Daniels

AND here's the text I received back last nite;

Thank you for your message

You cannot apply for the non-immigrant cat “O” visa using a letter of temporary residence, if you check the above attached document this is the up to date information on what is required for the visa, if you cannot meet any of this we can only issue you with the 60day tourist visa with one,two or three entries, to apply for a category “B” visa you have to provide documents to show you have been offered work in Thailand.

Regards

They also included an attachment which I'm including here;

Non-Immigrant Visas 01.01.11.doc

Given the date in the title of this document it would appear it's from January of this year.

I honestly don't know if this clears or further muddies the waters in regards to just what Hull will do for you. :(

Still I said I'd post whatever answers I got back, so I am. :) Good Luck all. :D .. Sorry if this makes it even more confusing. .. :o

It would seem that Hull will issue a triple entry Tourist Visa, and although they didn't say, if they made the validity for a year a person could get almost a full year out of that kind of visa with in-country 30-day extensions, border runs, etc.

P/S: I know full well there is such a thing as a 'real' residency permit as they are issued to permanent residents, but those people don't need visas from Hull. . :ermm:

Edited by tod-daniels

So to get a visa to visit Thailand on a non O, you need a resident permit from a Thai immigration office which you would need to show where you are staying........catch 22 really...........

From 8.4.2011 this resident permit is no longer an option from what is posted on their website for non-immigrant '0' visa. It has been removed. This would look to be very bad news for anyone who has propperty in Thailand and is under 50. Anyone who looks under 50 could now be having their papers checked a lot more regularly. It might be that all those people who live here illegally with no valid visa have spoilt for the majority, it might be that this is how immigration will flush out the ones who should not be here.

So to get a visa to visit Thailand on a non O, you need a resident permit from a Thai immigration office which you would need to show where you are staying........catch 22 really...........

From 8.4.2011 this resident permit is no longer an option from what is posted on their website for non-immigrant '0' visa. It has been removed. This would look to be very bad news for anyone who has propperty in Thailand and is under 50. Anyone who looks under 50 could now be having their papers checked a lot more regularly. It might be that all those people who live here illegally with no valid visa have spoilt for the majority, it might be that this is how immigration will flush out the ones who should not be here.

This is very confusing as i was still under the impression that owning property with proof of title deeds would be accepted

for an Non O Visa.

I,ve come across this thread titled "UK to BKK Forever" and post no 20 reads as follows"

lumphini07 user_popup.png

Posted 2011-04-11 05:18:28

hi everyone, me again lol,

ok so i got my visa app pack from hull !

for non-imm 'o' application the only choices are

married to thai - certificate

visiting relatives - birth cert etc

living in thailand - house deeds

volunteer work - charity letter ( could make happen )

pensioner -

non of which seem to fit me :(, except volunteer as a fairly easy route

so is my best option choice to go on a tourist visa (double)?

in which case what would be my purpose of visit? simply tourism right?

does the fact i will be leaving my job a month before leaving for bkk, making me put unemployed

on the visa app form matter at all

it states that on a tourist visa i shouldnt be doing anything other than just that but obviously

it legit if u just happen to get married while on holiday lol!

thanks in advance everyone.

• The OP clearly states that his application pack from Hull Consulate gives as one of the options to apply "Living In Thailand - House Deeds"

• and that post was only a few days ago.

[/color]

Edited by sotsira

It only takes a few seconds to download the package from the Hull website - below is what the 8-4-2011 update package says about O visa:

Category “O”

Married to a Thai national

Evidence required: Copy of marriage certificate (in English).

or

Visiting family working/living in Thailand

Evidence required: Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship plus letter from relative confirming

they are in Thailand together with copy of valid entry visa in their passport or copy of valid work permit..

or

Volunteer work

Evidence required: Suitable letter from recognised charity.

or

Visiting Thailand as Pensioner

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing receipt of pension.

or

Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing income of minimum £900.00 per month.

It only takes a few seconds to download the package from the Hull website - below is what the 8-4-2011 update package says about O visa:

Category "O"

or

Evidence required: Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship plus letter from relative confirming

they are in Thailand together with copy of valid entry visa in their passport or copy of valid work permit..

or

Volunteer work

or

or

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing income of minimum £900.00 per month.

That's why im confused, i looked at the Hull consulate website as you have shown above,

But lumphini07 states in his Application Pack that he received from Hull only recently,

the option of showing Property Title Deeds for qualification?

Could it be that the Hull Website isn't as informative as their application packs that are sent to the applicants?

Category "O"

or

or

Volunteer work

or

or

That's why im confused, i looked at the Hull consulate website as you have shown above,

But lumphini07 states in his Application Pack that he received from Hull only recently,

Could it be that the Hull Website isn't as informative as their application packs that are sent to the applicants?

they changed it again after the first change which allowed Property Title Deeds for qualification - now they not allow Property Title Deeds for qualification

Hello everyone

I have a friend in Thailand who was using Hull andattaching a photocopy of his girlfriends ID card until 4 years ago. He stoppedusing the 'o' type due to a story which I'm not going to elaborate on otherthan to say he was in a hurry when he returned to the UK so he filled out theforms and asked his mother to send it to Hull but she ended up sending it to aThai embassy. Needless to say he was refused. Anyway, for the last 3 or fouryears he has just been applying for a 1 year business visa along with a jobinvite from his girlfriend’s parents who own a small shop. Visa issued. When hegets here he just doesn't get a work permit or start the job. The family hashad no problems since he has not worked for them and he has no problem since HEhas not worked.

Hope this helps

Category "O"

or

or

Volunteer work

or

or

They origianlly told me a rental agreement with my name on it was sufficient to issuean 'O' visa, then they wanted a residency permit, which i could have got locally, that option is now not on the agenda. It is evidence of 900.00 pounds income per month on the bank statement or retirement and they want to see evidence of the pension. Times have changed, same as they changing in the UK.