Dvd Burnin Like The Silom Guys

JJDinsay

Anyone know what size DVD do the guys on Silom use? I just finished downloading all of the Lost and Battlestar Galactica episodes and I wanna move them to DVD. I bought a spindle of 4GB discs thinking I could at least put 2 but no go - it's odd though, the file sizes for each episode is only 330,000MB's so I figured 4.7GB would be enough. Any ideas?

What is a current file format? (file extension) What is the actual (typical) file size in MB? 330 MB sounds right, but given you cannot fit two files of this size on a single disc it does sound as though you are using a CD-R as these have 700 MB limit?

Can you play/view these files on your PC?

I use Nero Vision Express to burn movies so that they are playable on any DVD player............although the inital size of the file is generally 700mb (AVI file) by the time it is re-encoded to play on a dvd player it ends up using approx 3GB of the blank disc.

Above said though you should get 2....300MB files on 1 disk easy enough.

Ive got 5 episodes of Rising Damp (comedy) on 1 disc before the AVI file size was 230MB each when first downloaded from the net.

Edited by thaiflyer1

I downloaded them off the Net and the file sizes are in the range of about 300,000 - 350,000 but when I select the video files as a source and beging to copy it'll say not enough space. I used the DVD package that came with my DVD burner so I though all this re-sizing, re-encoding would be handled by that.

thanks,

Jeb

Your definatley using Dvd blanks ?

What burning package are you using?

Also i presume you have plenty of spare space on your hard drive to burn the disc...............i know ive been caught out before when my "A" drive has almost been full and ive had to clear some of it to a "B" drive to enable burning.

Trying to help but i/m not as knowlegeable as other members here.

Depends what you want to do. Your downloaded files are probably mpeg-1 or other lower quality compared to normal DVD. You can try to make a "data" disc instead of a "DVD-Movie" disc and just copy the files to it. Then no recoding is done.

You can play them in a lot of DVD players although not all. It might suit your needs. For a test you can write them to a writable CD and try to play it on your DVD player. It saves you a useless DVD if it not works.

That's what I'm using!  Powerproducer.  Is there a limitation on the DVD Burner?  The files are DIVX avi files and they are indeed 330 - 350 MB's.  BTW you have all the BG episodes?

There shouldnt be any limits. There are different settings, I use the longplay setting on video quality selection and im pretty happy with the transfer. Play around with it. Its also worth trying different discs. I believe I used dvd -r for the galactica episodes. Got all of them so far Season 1 & 2 very good tv.

Edit: BTW make sure if your using Powerproducer that you have Divx player installed with a good codec package. It drove me crazy when I first started burning as it wouldnt burn some Divx Avi's properly.

Edited by johnboi