Why Not Eat At "Why Not" Restaurant?

Ulysses G.

Sergio has been doing some great buffets in different locations in Chiang Mai for a while now, but has recently opened his own buffet place on Niemanheiman Soi 11 and it is not only excellent, but an amazing bargain.

Really good Italian foods of many different kinds - different kinds of lasagna, grilled salmon, chicken in red wine sauce, olives, soups and lots more - and excellent deserts and homemade Italian ice-cream. drinks are not expensive either.

Why Not is well worth a visit. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly agree. I have been there twice now. Tonight I tried the fish in some sort of honey sauce, the chicken in wine that you mentioned which was excellent, the beef stew and meat lasagna. The deserts - especially the chocolate pudding tasted almost as rich as See's chocolate from the States. Really a terrific spread - and all for 189 baht.

I spoke to Sergio who said that he will start a lunch buffet on May 1 with the same offerings for the same price. He also confided that if the patronage continues he will be able to maintain the extremely low price.

This is really a find so check it out. It's located half way down Soi 11 traveling east from Niemanheiman. There is a large open garden setting where the buffet tables are located, and there is also indoor seating available on the Soi 13 side of the restaurant.

Edited by venturalaw

I spoke to Sergio who said that he will start a lunch buffet on May 1 with the same offerings for the same price. He also confided that if the patronage continues he will be able to maintain the extremely low price.

This sounds really interesting and a good reason to check it out.

For Sergio's food the 189 Baht cost is really good. smile.gif

We've always enjoyed eating in Sergio's establishments wherever they have been located over the years! We will certainly give this new place a try! I hope that doesn't mean his Pizza e Vino establishment at Thapae Gate is closing! We've never had a bad meal there yet!

anybody know the buffet time from and to ? like to try it while am off work Rob.

went there last night. Not bad, good value, but not great either.

My only criticism is that the buffet dishes were cold, but overall it was good.

Edited by sbk
unnecessary font changes

You can have salmon, sausages and a variety of other meats cooked right in front of you and small pizzas cooked fresh too. The soups are hot and I would guess some other dishes are also although I admit that I did not really notice.

I am fairly picky and for 189 baht, it seems like quite the deal to me.

I'm pretty sure that it opens at 7PM to late in the evening, but not sure what time that is. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

You can have salmon, sausages and a variety of other meats cooked right in front of you and small pizzas cooked fresh too. The soups are hot and I would guess some other dishes are also although I admit that I did not really notice.

I'm pretty sure that it opens at 7PM to late in the evening, but not sure what time that is. :)

The first time I went, which was the first day the buffet started, was 6pm. I was told they served until 11:30pm.

It sounds like a bargain!

I'd much rather have Sergio's buffet for 189 baht than pay more than that for a pork chop and chips or a meat pie is some places.

The items that I ate: chicken in wine, fish, lasagna, and the beef stew were all hot last night at approximately 7:30pm.

Edited by venturalaw

I'd much rather have Sergio's buffet for 189 baht than pay more than that for a pork chop and chips or a meat pie is some places.

I don't know where you are buying your 'Pork Chop and Chips or meat pies' nowadays Uptheos, but at The Olde Bell we offer local expats such as yourself, Pork Chop, chips AND Garden peas for 175 baht! and our best value meat pie which comes with baby new potatoes and Broccoli is only 158 baht.

I don't know where you are buying your 'Pork Chop and Chips or meat pies' nowadays Uptheos, but at The Olde Bell we offer local expats such as yourself, Pork Chop, chips AND Garden peas for 175 baht! and our best value meat pie which comes with baby new potatoes and Broccoli is only 158 baht.

Then you're obviously not one of the "some places" mentioned previously.

Thankyou for making that clear Uptheos. Maybe in the interests of culinary equality, you'd like to share with us the names of the some of the places where a 'pork chop and chips' or a 'meat pie' cost more than 189 baht - just so that we know where to avoid after we've enjoyed Sergio's buffet and have had our fill of Italian food.

Thank you for making that clear Uptheos. Maybe in the interests of culinary equality, you'd like to share with us the names of the some of the places where a 'pork chop and chips' or a 'meat pie' cost more than 189 baht - just so that we know where to avoid after we've enjoyed Sergio's buffet and have had our fill of Italian food.

Hang on OBP I may have got that wrong. I've just looked at your prices on the MOW menu, which I presume are current.

Steak & Kidney Pie is 205 Baht

Steak & Onion Pie is 195 Baht

Pork Chop is 195 Baht

Of course this is on a level playing field and excludes any discount cards.

Plus I assume that the MOW delivery prices are not higher than eat in....I don't know.

If I'm wrong please tell me smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

Love it,

An advertisement thread that gets derailed by more ads.

I'd sure hate to buy advertising on TV, if I can just get a free thread made instead.

Sponsors are allowed to self-promote and given some protection (see the forum rules that you agreed to when you signed up), other businesses that benefit the expat community may certainly be discussed as long as it doesn't violate the "name and shame" rule :)

Thank you for making that clear Uptheos. Maybe in the interests of culinary equality, you'd like to share with us the names of the some of the places where a 'pork chop and chips' or a 'meat pie' cost more than 189 baht - just so that we know where to avoid after we've enjoyed Sergio's buffet and have had our fill of Italian food.

Hang on OBP I may have got that wrong. I've just looked at your prices on the MOW menu, which I presume are current.

Steak & Kidney Pie is 205 Baht

Steak & Onion Pie is 195 Baht

Pork Chop is 195 Baht

Of course this is on a level playing field and excludes any discount cards.

Plus I assume that the MOW delivery prices are not higher than eat in....I don't know.

If I'm wrong please tell me smile.gif

So when you made your ridiculous comparison between Italian and British food, which establsihments did you have in mind as charging more than 189 baht for 'Pork Chop and Chips' or 'Meat Pies', as at that point you clearly didn't know how much The Olde Bell charged?

Know when you've been beat..... there are plenty of places that charge more than the buffet for pies or chops.

You encouraged the guy to name some places to avoid due to those high prices, during your entitled self promotion. Unfortunately, you inadvertently lumped your place in the avoid list.

Funny. :-)

PS - I dont think that the prices are too high for those things, and I know your food is great Pedr. The guy was just saying that HE would prefer the buffet at that price, rather than the alternative. I for one can see myself doing both. I just think its funny being caught out. Admit its a mistake and move on. hehe. ;)

PPS - Having reread your post, I see the wording reveals all. To Expats the price is 175, So Im assuming thats with some sort of discount. And the "Best Value" Meat Pie could well be something other than the pies uptheos highlighted from the MOW menu. Still tickled me though. :)

Edited by mallmagician

What you may have missed mallmagician is that this guy stalks The Olde Bell around the forum posting negative comments at every possible opportunity. He wasn't trying to compare British food prices with Sergio's buffet, he was having a swipe at The Olde Bell because he doesn't like the place. He does it with monotonous regularity. For the record - The Olde Bell have a steak and Veg pie with potatoes on the menu at 175 baht less 10% for local expats so 158 baht. Most of the meat pies are 205 baht, same as for Meals on Wheels, but with 10% off for expats - 15% on a Thursday!! making them cheaper than Sergio's buffet - but, as I said, the comparison is ridiculous - If you're in the mood for Italian you aint going to be satisfied with a meat pie and if you want British fare, you won't want an Italian buffet. He really should stop making posts on food threads because he has no interest in dining out - he made up some story about going out for Sunday Lunch at Red Mango and having a long chat with Tony a few weeks ago - I went up to RM the next day and had a chat with Tony and he'd never even heard of a a curly haired geezer called <Edited>. He's another sad individual with no mates who spends his days posting trash on the internet because he has nothing better to do with his life. Nuff said!!

Edited by metisdead
Read rule #19.

What you may have missed mallmagician is that this guy stalks The Olde Bell around the forum posting negative comments at every possible opportunity. He wasn't trying to compare British food prices with Sergio's buffet, he was having a swipe at The Olde Bell because he doesn't like the place. He does it with monotonous regularity. For the record - The Olde Bell have a steak and Veg pie with potatoes on the menu at 175 baht less 10% for local expats so 158 baht. Most of the meat pies are 205 baht, same as for Meals on Wheels, but with 10% off for expats - 15% on a Thursday!! making them cheaper than Sergio's buffet - but, as I said, the comparison is ridiculous - If you're in the mood for Italian you aint going to be satisfied with a meat pie and if you want British fare, you won't want an Italian buffet. He really should stop making posts on food threads because he has no interest in dining out - he made up some story about going out for Sunday Lunch at Red Mango and having a long chat with Tony a few weeks ago - I went up to RM the next day and had a chat with Tony and he'd never even heard of a a curly haired geezer called <Edited>. He's another sad individual with no mates who spends his days posting trash on the internet because he has nothing better to do with his life. Nuff said!!

I agree the comparison is ridiculous if you see it as a comparison. From his post, he was just saying that he would prefer the Italian Buffet to a Meat pie or Pork Chop elsewhere.

I dont read most of the food posts, so I have not seen his stalking of the Olde Bell in previous posts. All I can see from this thread is that HE mentioned Meat Pies and Pork Chops before you even mentioned the Olde Belle. Then it appeared that you were challenging him, to which he responded. Perhaps a little paranoia on your part based on previous threads? But from this thread it is evident you were the one that challenged him in the first instance. Unless of course his comment was bait for you, in which case, you took it hook line and sinker.

E.g - You said .... He wasn't trying to compare British food prices with Sergio's buffet, he was having a swipe at The Olde Bell because he doesn't like the place.

But the Olde Belle hadn't even been mentioned when he made the comparison. This was a thread about Sergios Italian Buffet, and you mentioned the Olde Belle in response to HIS comment, and not the other way around.

I dont often get into the city, but I do occasionally visit you in the Olde Belle, and I have no problem with you or the food, or the drink for that matter. I was just tickled, because having not seen his stalking of your place before in previous threads, the thread was amusing to me. Thats all. No hard feelings. :)

Edited by metisdead
Read rule #19.

Back to the original topic. Could someone confirm when the restaurant definitely starts up their lunch buffet? I'm always on the lookout for good lunch places with a reasonable price and a nice setting because I invite my expat lady friends to join me for lunch twice per month at various places around town.

Is the name of the restaurant really "Why Not"? How is the parking situation? Do they have seating for 20-25 people in their aircon room? Is the setting a little elegant? Do they serve wine by the glass? I'm not expecting wine to be included with the price of the buffet, but some ladies like to order a glass with lunch.

Back to the original topic. Could someone confirm when the restaurant definitely starts up their lunch buffet? I'm always on the lookout for good lunch places with a reasonable price and a nice setting because I invite my expat lady friends to join me for lunch twice per month at various places around town.

Is the name of the restaurant really "Why Not"? How is the parking situation? Do they have seating for 20-25 people in their aircon room? Is the setting a little elegant? Do they serve wine by the glass? I'm not expecting wine to be included with the price of the buffet, but some ladies like to order a glass with lunch.

Sergio told me that he plans to commence the lunch offering on May 1. Also, he said that the buffet is offered everyday with the exception of the last Saturdays and Sundays of each month when specials will be offered.

The name of the restaurant is 'Why Not?'

There are 4 - 5 parking spaces in the front of the restaurant which faces Soi 13. Otherwise park on either Sois 13 or 11. The back entrance (Soi 11) is easier to see and is where the food is served.

I am not certain if the indoor seating can accommodate 20 - 25. I did not pay much attention to the inside seating - I just walked through to the outdoor area in the back. However it has air-conditioning.

The interior is very clean and stylish. The exterior is a quite large garden setting and very comfortable - tables not placed on top of each other with plenty of room.

They do serve wine by the glass and it is not included in the price. However, the prices are reasonable. Water is 15 baht and coke is 20 baht.

Edited by venturalaw

Sergio told me that he plans to commence the lunch offering on May 1. Also, he said that the buffet is offered everyday with the exception of the last Saturdays and Sundays of each month when specials will be offered.

The name of the restaurant is 'Why Not?'

There are 4 - 5 parking spaces in the front of the restaurant which faces Soi 13. Otherwise park on either Sois 13 or 11. The back entrance (Soi 11) is easier to see and is where the food is served.

I am not certain if the indoor seating can accommodate 20 - 25. I did not pay much attention to the inside seating - I just walked through to the outdoor area in the back. However it has air-conditioning.

The interior is very clean and stylish. The exterior is a quite large garden setting and very comfortable - tables not placed on top of each other with plenty of room.

They do serve wine by the glass and it is not included in the price. However, the prices are reasonable. Water is 15 baht and coke is 20 baht.

I'm really pleased that he will be starting the lunch buffet. I go to The Grandview and Khun Churn a lot, so I'm up that way often. The Grandview isn't what it used to be, (but it's still good value) and it will be nice to have another reasonably priced option in that neck of that woods. The air conditioning will be a bonus during the hot season. I am looking forward to trying it, as I love Italian food and I never drink alcohol during the day, so the coke at 20p is also a bargain.

Well done Sergio

Thanks for the FB link CSN - certainly looks the real deal. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos