Why Not Eat At "Why Not" Restaurant?

Ulysses G.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is their closing just for real or hearsay?

My wife and I have been thinking about trying them at least once.

Does anyone know approx. when they're closing? I wanted to ask them on FB but cannot send them a message. I didn't want to post on their wall if this wasn't real.

The website says they open at 4PM, is this still correct?

In response to the last 7 or 8 posts:

How do these rumors get started??!!

They're not closing.

But the buffet is ending at the end of the month.

Starting March 1 they will be offering a regular a la carte menu.

I don't know if they'll still offer their "special" buffet on the first saturday of every month.

They do not open til 5:30pm every evening.

I've never seen a single fly there.

When it is hot out, they have an indoor room with air conditioning.

If you live in the Nimmanhaemin area, or travel by scooter, it is very convenient.

yes, the desserts are great.

The green lights are weird. Choose a different table.

I have no connection to the restaurant, other than being a happy customer who eats there at least once a week.

• Like 1

In response to the last 7 or 8 posts:

How do these rumors get started??!!

They're not closing.

But the buffet is ending at the end of the month.

Starting March 1 they will be offering a regular a la carte menu.

I don't know if they'll still offer their "special" buffet on the first saturday of every month.

They do not open til 5:30pm every evening.

I've never seen a single fly there.

When it is hot out, they have an indoor room with air conditioning.

If you live in the Nimmanhaemin area, or travel by scooter, it is very convenient.

yes, the desserts are great.

The green lights are weird. Choose a different table.

I have no connection to the restaurant, other than being a happy customer who eats there at least once a week.

As I said earlier I was not impressed. But it could have been a off day for them.

The reason I replied to you is that I live in the night bazaar ares and find it very easy to get to just stick out my hand to a songtell and the wife will tell them where to go Same for coming home. I don't understand how people can find places inconvenient to get to with the price of songtell. I can under stand how parking could be a problem though. If I am going alone I get my wife to write it out in Thai to show the driver.

Yes yes I know the songtell mafia will make a killing off me some times as high as 40 baht just a little under the cost to buy insure fuel up and keep up a vehicle. But I go for the food if I want it I have no problem paying for transport.

Witch reminds me their is a good Vegi buffet restaurant on soi 17 Niiemanhamon I have been meaning to get back to it.

The reason I replied to you is that I live in the night bazaar ares and find it very easy to get to just stick out my hand to a songtell and the wife will tell them where to go Same for coming home. I don't understand how people can find places inconvenient to get to with the price of songtell.

Not everyone travels with their own personal interpreter and Why Not is a little off the beaten path, so not so easy to explain to a driver. However, if one knew what soi it was on, they could probably get to Neimanheiman road and walk to the restaurant if they had been there before.

I noticed in post 38 on this topic,that the Olde Bell serves'

AUSTRALIAN CHIPS".

What the hell is an Australian Chip? and how does it differ from a British Chip?

'Why not' go and try some and find out for yourself also please try to stay on topic. offtopic.gifjap.gif

On a lighter and more relevant note, it's a real shame they are stopping the buffet as Thai friends of mine have been raving about the buffet there for a while now. They have no trouble getting there as they local to the area, and like me know Chiang Mai like the back of their hands!

As for the quality of the food varying they tell me it's very 'aroi mak mak' every time they go! I've been meaning to go there with the club for a while now. Seems we might have to make it sooner rather than later!

Having the buffet on the first Saturday of every month would be good. Does anyone have any news on this?

wai.gif

AUSTRALIAN CHIPS".

What the hell is an Australian Chip? and how does it differ from a British Chip?

'Why not' go and try some and find out for yourself also please try to stay on topic. offtopic.gifjap.gif

He's replying to a sponsor's ad, which also has nothing to do with the topic.jerk.gif

• Like 1

Glad to hear they will not be closing but I will miss the buffet (far better for my waistline however). I've enjoyed the deserts in particular even though I'm generally not into sweets and will certainly miss that aspect. I do think there have been some quality problems with certain aspects but the overall quality has been high for the price and they were always consistant. The aspects that were good were always good while the ones that were lacking (grill station & bread amongst others) were consistantly disappointing. Hope they'll remain a good value after the change.

Like everyone else, I wish they would change the colored lighting.

The reason I replied to you is that I live in the night bazaar ares and find it very easy to get to just stick out my hand to a songtell and the wife will tell them where to go Same for coming home. I don't understand how people can find places inconvenient to get to with the price of songtell.

Not everyone travels with their own personal interpreter and Why Not is a little off the beaten path, so not so easy to explain to a driver. However, if one knew what soi it was on, they could probably get to Neimanheiman road and walk to the restaurant if they had been there before.

Agreed but any one-who lives here for a while knows a Thai that can write the message in Thai.

For those who don't know it is on soi 11 a short walk up from niemanhaven on the right side of the road.

For those who don't know it is on soi 11 a short walk up from niemanhaven on the right side of the road.

Thanks for that. I had an idea where it was, but have not been for a while and that saves a lot of looking. wai.gif

UG, You do realize you started this thread, don't you? And that your subject line includes"Italian Buffet at Niemanheiman Soi 11"?

And this may be the first time anyone has ever said that Nimmanhaemin "is a little off the beaten path"

Yes, I know that I started the thread, but it was quite a while ago and I hardly ever go to that area, so I couldn't remember what Soi it is on. I was reading it from an advertisment when I wrote the OP.

The "off the beaten path" remark was refering to telling a songteaw how to get there, which is not all that easy unless you are going to a main street or a fairly well-known landmark and Why Not is not either one. .

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes, I know that I started the thread, but it was quite a while ago and I hardly ever go to that area, so I couldn't remember what Soi it is on. I was reading it from an advertisment when I wrote the OP.

The "off the beaten path" remark was refering to telling a songteaw how to get there, which is not all that easy unless you are going to a main street or a fairly well-known landmark and Why Not is not either one. .

I think what el jeff is referring too is the fact that you didn't know what soi it was on despite writing it (correctly) in the title of the topic which you started. For a songteaw I would just tell the driver 'bai Nimman Soi sip-et krap', hope this helps. jap.gif

Edited by expatmakmak

I think what el jeff is referring too is the fact that you didn't know what soi it was on despite writing it (correctly) in the title of the topic which you started. For a songteaw I would just tell the driver 'bai Nimman Soi sip-et krap', hope this helps. jap.gif

UG has probably been here since before you were born. I doubt if he needs the Thai lesson.

• Like 1

Yes, I get that, but it was almost a year ago and the only reason I knew what Soi it was at the time because I had just been there.

When you get the songtaew it should cost you only 20 baht, if the driver wants more you should wait for the next one. Enjoy the buffet

Yes, I get that, but it was almost a year ago and the only reason I knew what Soi it was at the time because I had just been there.

When you get the songtaew it should cost you only 20 baht, if the driver wants more you should wait for the next one. Enjoy the buffet

Could someone post a map or give phone number

Thanks

AUSTRALIAN CHIPS".

There are, as you correctly say, no discernible differences between British and Australian chips. I style them British/Australian chips to make it clear that they are real potatoes formed into chunky chips by us and not frozen and certainly not the same as the shoestring french fries that some Americans and Europeans prefer. When this thread came up a year or so ago, we did a range of meals at 113 baht for local expats. We now do a small range of Western meals for 90 baht if you buy a couple of drinks as well.

Good luck to Sergio in re-branding 'Why Not Restaurant' , if as El Jefe says, the rumour is true! We go to his other place 'Pizza e Vino' sometimes and it is always good.

Been there to the Why Not place. It was two hundred something bath and the food was very good. Many type of lasagna and baked pasta dish. Grilled meat and pizza. Good desert, too bad the buffet will no longer continue after the end of February.