Would You Kill It?

ChiangMaiFun

update!

no sign of Hissing Sid! but I am getting a dead fish a day floating in the pond so... is he there...?

had a young lady round last night who was conspicuously nervous of my snake (but that could be taken two ways I guess...)

Oh yes, the one eyed python variety, can be deadly at nights :D

a thin grey snake chasing a dragonfly or butterfly on my garden path!
Who can blame her for being nervous laugh.gif

update!

no sign of Hissing Sid! but I am getting a dead fish a day floating in the pond so... is he there...?

had a young lady round last night who was conspicuously nervous of my snake (but that could be taken two ways I guess...)

She was less nervous this morning I am happy to report! whistling.gif

update!

One snake down, one to go. :huh:

biggrin.gif

update!

One snake down, one to go. :huh:

biggrin.gif

Kill it for what? To eat?

Most snakes are not poisonous. Unless you need a dead snake for something, like you are making a snake skin belt, why kill it?

Thailand has 200+ snake species with over 60 of them - venomous.

While 75% are not venomous, that still leaves the 25% that are.

A baby Krait can kill an adult fairly easily.

I try not to get close enough to any to be able to kill them, some are very fast and have no hesitation in attacking.

Kill it for what? To eat?

Most snakes are not poisonous. Unless you need a dead snake for something, like you are making a snake skin belt, why kill it?

Thailand has 200+ snake species with over 60 of them - venomous.

While 75% are not venomous, that still leaves the 25% that are.

A baby Krait can kill an adult fairly easily.

I try not to get close enough to any to be able to kill them, some are very fast and have no hesitation in attacking.

Jeeze - I looked up the Krait online and it looks very, very similar - mine was dark grey with some dull yellow patterning - thin and whispy and VERY fast ohmy.gif

update!

If you've got dead fish floating it's not the snake. He/she would have eaten them.

Why is it the first response from people whenever they see a snake, is to kill it? They are beneficial to the enviornment. They don't harm anyone unless they are protecting themselves. And then chances are the bite won't kill humans because only a few are poisonous enough to do that., even in Thailand. They stay far away from people unless they are really hungry, looking for food, and we literally stumble across them. They don't hunt us. We build houses in their domain not the other way around.

For those who say kill'em...my answer to you is...many of us don't like "stupid people" or "ugly people", so maybe we should carry a shovel or gun and dispatch "stupid people" and "ugly people"! After all they might harm us in some way. Aren't they all dangerous? Even if they makes lots of money, provide for their families and in general are beneficial. Oh! and did I say...I can spotl an "Ugly person" (by my standards of ugly) but I can't always identify a "stupid person". But let's not take a chance...just Kill'em. Short'a like not being able to tell a non poisonous snake from a poisonous snake, don't you think? And aren't they all dangerous? :blink:

I thought many Thais every year are killed by snake bites. :huh:

I read a book once that had a statistic in it (probably 20 years out of date, but can't see much cange likely to discount it!) - It said, more people are killed every year by their own pet dogs than by snakes worldwide. So, maybe you shovel hungry mob should divert your attention towards the soi dogs that carry potentially deadly diseases which can be passed with a lick, and could easily tear a youngster to peaces in moments as a pack. Harder to do eh?

I have about 2 or 3 snakes a year in my house. I have young kids. I simply use the Thai broom to direct it out into the yard (or once through an old pipe hole into next door (oops!). None have ever returned. I have a small river behind the house and once they find that are gone. No harm to them (I don't hit them or even prod them really - just approach them with the broom and they work out that's its better to run in the opposite direction).

update!

If you've got dead fish floating it's not the snake. He/she would have eaten them.

hmm that's true I guess it would

Having lived in Arizona and the California foothills were "Rattle Snakes" abound, I've caught my fair share over time. Here's a trick I learned long ago, if you live in an area were snakes (all types) invade your house or living areas. Get a good burlap bag (nice sturdy rice bag works) and short piece of 3" PVC pipe. Tie the end of the bag around one end of the pipe. When you encounter the snake, look for a possible escape route along a wall or obstruction. Place the bag with the pipe face facing the snake along the wall. Encourage the snake to crawl into the pipe They'll seek safety. Once inside the bag you can simply twist the end to close the bag and pull out the pvc pipe. Tie the bag off. Don't panic and use common sense on how you handle the bag. Now you can safely dump the snake somewhere away from humans. Be careful not to let the hanging bag hit anyone. Snakes can bite thru it. Or simply have someone who's not afraid do it for you.