Travel By Train?

howler

I was wondering if anyone has done any traveling in LOS by train? I did a search here and the only posts that came up werent really any help. Just stated that they are slow and cheap. I traveled extensively throughout S. Korea (20 years ago) by train and found it a great way to see the contry. Confortable and hassle free. No rush, my next trip, in Nov, is allready planned out. Just doing research for the following trip. I want to head up north and northeast towards Cambodia, Ankor Wat. Thanks :o

I was wondering if anyone has done any traveling in LOS by train? I did a search here and the only posts that came up werent really any help. Just stated that they are slow and cheap. I traveled extensively throughout S. Korea (20 years ago) by train and found it a great way to see the contry. Confortable and hassle free. No rush, my next trip, in Nov, is allready planned out. Just doing research for the following trip. I want to head up north and northeast towards Cambodia, Ankor Wat. Thanks :D

I haven't done much travelling by train but i did go from Bangkok to Surat Thani via sleeper, on my way to Samui. Takes a while but I thought it was great. Bit of a novelty when you come from a country you can travel from end to end within 4 hours :o

I first travelled by train in Thailand some 9 years ago. It was a second class day train but unfortunately the second class coach (1 only) broke down (wheel trouble) about 1 hour out of Bangkok and was removed requiring the second class passengers to relocate to the third class coaches. After obtaining a Bht 70.00 refund at the destination (total of 9 hours later), I vowed never to use the trains again.

3 years later, I needed to take a similar journey and the other forms of transport were not convenient. I took the second class sleeper and had a terrible trip without hardly any sleep whatsoever (6'4" in a Thai bunk). Again I vowed "never again".

Another two years later I heard about the first class sleeper and the times were very convenient for my onward travel. I booked a cabin, bought a few bottles and the trip was very enjoyable (6'6" bunks). Now, I use this method of transportation whenever possible/convenient.

:o

Done Bangkok down to Butterworth (Malaysia) on the overnight sleeper..........not a bad way to travel and as already stated preferable to the long distance buses.

Heres a link for more info,

http://travel-online.to/srt/services.htm

Here's another,

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore

Edited by thaiflyer1

I had a really great journey on the train from Bangkok to Phrae ..first class you get your own private compartment with two bunk beds airconditioned very pleasent...and the worst journey from Phrae to Chaingmai 3rd class just a seat next to some very noisy kids..

Go first class you won't regret it , just book early to guarentee a place.

Edited by johng

Trains in Thailand are great especially overnighters as long as I'm in the lower berth.

I can never sleep on trains so I just use mother nature's sedative, namely one bottle of Sang Som, get p1ssed, have the craic if theres any to be had (there usually is!) and crash out.

Trains are great places to meet people and if you can speak a little of the lingo and are willing to share your booze you'll have a great trip.

One of my best memories was of heading from Cha Am to BKK on the 3rd class noon train on a clear fresh November day.

I'd just got a big wodge of cash paid into the bank which I'd been waiting for, for a while and after a few months of hardship I was off to BKK on a toot! As the train pulled out of Cha Am station the first vendor I saw was the beer crone. I secured her and told the honest woman to come back every 20 minutes with more supplies, slapped on my headphones, kicked back, looked at the beautful scenery rolling past, and wound up in Thonburi four hours later, considerably refreshed, bound for a nights crumpet chasing on Khao San Road.

Heaven.

Trains in Thailand are great especially overnighters as long as I'm in the lower berth.

I can never sleep on trains so I just use mother nature's sedative, namely one bottle of Sang Som, get p1ssed, have the craic if theres any to be had (there usually is!) and crash out.

Trains are great places to meet people and if you can speak a little of the lingo and are willing to share your booze you'll have a great trip.

One of my best memories was of heading from Cha Am to BKK on the 3rd class noon train on a clear fresh November day.

I'd just got a big wodge of cash paid into the bank which I'd been waiting for, for a while and after a few months of hardship I was off to BKK on a toot! As the train pulled out of Cha Am station the first vendor I saw was the beer crone. I secured her and told the honest woman to come back every 20 minutes with more supplies, slapped on my headphones, kicked back, looked at the beautful scenery rolling past, and wound up in Thonburi four hours later, considerably refreshed, bound for a nights crumpet chasing on Khao San Road.

Heaven.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about! I used the train to travel in Korea, every where from Chun Chon to Pusan. The smoked squid and dried kelp went great with OB beer, and maybee a little Soju :o Really is a great way to see the countryside and meet the locals.