Actor Nicolas Cage arrested in New Orleans, charged with domestic abuse

News_Editor

Actor Nicolas Cage arrested in New Orleans, charged with domestic abuse

2011-04-17 07:12:19 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW ORLEANS (BNO NEWS) -- Oscar-winning actor Nicolas Cage was arrested in the U.S. city of New Orleans on late Friday evening on charges of domestic abuse battery and public drunkenness, police said on Saturday.

The New Orleans Police Department said in a statement that the 47-year-old actor, who is known for his roles in movies such as "Gone In 60 Seconds," "Ghost Rider," "The Rock," and dozens of other movies, was taken into police custody after getting drunk in the French Quarter of the city and arguing in the street with his wife, Alice Kim.

The incident happened at around 11.30 p.m. local time on Friday when Cage was arguing with Kim in the 600 block of Dumaine Street, according to officer Garry Flot.

"[Cage] and his wife were standing in front of a residence that he insisted was the property the couple was renting," Flot said. "She disagreed, and Cage grabbed her by the upper arm and pulled her to what he believed was the correct address."

Flot said Cage then began striking vehicles and later attempted to get into a taxi. "At that point, an officer who had been flagged down by on-lookers drove up on the couple, immediately observed that Cage was heavily intoxicated, and ordered him out of the cab, which prompted Cage to start yelling," he said. The actor was then taken to Central Lock-Up.

According to the New Orleans Police Department, there were no visible signs of injuries on Kim's arm. Nonetheless, Cage is now facing charges of Domestic Abuse Battery, Disturbing the Peace and Public Drunkenness.

Cage has appeared in dozens of films since 1980 and won an Oscar for his performance as a suicidal alcoholic in "Leaving Las Vegas." He was also nominated for an Oscar for his role in "Adaptation."

And while Cage is among the highest-paid actors in Hollywood, making some $40 million in 2009 alone, he has been facing serious real estate and tax problems in recent years.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-17

Although I don't like a lot of his movies, he's one of my favorite actors. He must have been quite out of sorts with things; getting picked up for public intoxication is about as common as in Pattaya. New Orleans is a known party town.

I know he is a very popular actor, but he reminds me of Jack Nicholson. In all his films you know it is Nicholas Cage playing a part (same for Nicholson, except for his glorious Cuckoos Nest); you rarely lose sight of the actor and immerse yourself into their character, Eventually these type of actors become self-parodies.

The charge of "domestic violence" is totally unjustified and shows the dangerous power police in America yield. The charge will not hold water and will be dismissed.

What makes you think they want the charge to stick? That charge alone can keep him off the street until he sobers up, where otherwise a lawyer may have been able to get him arraigned and home before morning just because he's Nick Cage and famous and has money and influence. Nothing dangerous about the police having the ability to book someone even on a charge that won't hold up longer than the time it takes him to sober up :)

He didn't hit his wife but was just a yanking her arm a bit aggressively. What is all this PC crap? Domestic abuse? He got drunk and make a nuisance of himself as half of Pattaya does on a nightly basis.   <br>

So, because abusive behavior is endemic in Pattaya, it should be allowed everywhere?

Perhaps some tough guy in New Orleans, when observing Cage behaving like a buttplug, should have slapped him around a bit - to show what it feels like to be manhandled by someone stronger.

I know he is a very popular actor, but he reminds me of Jack Nicholson. In all his films you know it is Nicholas Cage playing a part (same for Nicholson, except for his glorious Cuckoos Nest); you rarely lose sight of the actor and immerse yourself into their character, Eventually these type of actors become self-parodies.

That is just your opinion and I disagree with it on all counts.

He didn't hit his wife but was just a yanking her arm a bit aggressively. What is all this PC crap? Domestic abuse? He got drunk and make a nuisance of himself as half of Pattaya does on a nightly basis.   <br>

Man I gotta agree, how the F is that domestic abuse? They even state that she didn't even have any marks on her arm? That is way OTT and if branded with that label as actually the charges have already done it's a trumped up witch hunt IMO.

So, because abusive behavior is endemic in Pattaya, it should be allowed everywhere?

Perhaps some tough guy in New Orleans, when observing Cage behaving like a buttplug, should have slapped him around a bit - to show what it feels like to be manhandled by someone stronger.

:rolleyes::whistling: Oh geezz puulease tell me you're not serious and just trolling??

was he trying to re-enact "double jeopardy" with himself in the leading role, I wonder?

Apart from Cage being a piss drunk farang, what has this story got to do with Thailand at all?

This topic happens to be in the World News forum :whistling: .

was he trying to re-enact "double jeopardy" with himself in the leading role, I wonder?

Apart from Cage being a piss drunk farang, what has this story got to do with Thailand at all?

Aaah - I see - thanks for enlightening me :)

Aaah - I see - thanks for enlightening me :)

No worries :thumbsup:

Man I gotta agree, how the F is that domestic abuse? They even state that she didn't even have any marks on her arm? That is way OTT and if branded with that label as actually the charges have already done it's a trumped up witch hunt IMO.

The charge was "battery", not domestic violence. A first offence conviction for domestic abuse battery is a misdemeanor as is the second offense. A third conviction if a felony etc ...

I am assuming the charges will be pled down if they stick at all. Even if they are not, the likely sentence will be $300-$1000 fine and 32 hours of community service :)

Note- Louisiana law does not acknowledge domestic abuse battery in same sex couples.

The charge was "battery", not domestic violence. A first offence conviction for domestic abuse battery is a misdemeanor as is the second offense. A third conviction if a felony etc ...

I am assuming the charges will be pled down if they stick at all. Even if they are not, the likely sentence will be $300-$1000 fine and 32 hours of community service :)

Note- Louisiana law does not acknowledge domestic abuse battery in same sex couples.

Hmmmm... From the OP.

NEW ORLEANS (BNO NEWS) -- Oscar-winning actor Nicolas Cage was arrested in the U.S. city of New Orleans on late Friday evening on charges of domestic abuse battery and public drunkenness, police said on Saturday.

One of us is having difficulty fully understanding the OP, I dare say it wasn't us :huh: ... The only difference being that the OP also lists the battery charge included in the domestic abuse charge but it's ALL there, not only mentioned once but twice, no ambiguity..

Edited by WarpSpeed

There is only one charge here. It is "domestic abuse battery" by the simple nature of the relationship. I readily admit to using unclear language in the first sentence, I apologize --- the idea was simply to get you to think "battery" which does not require violence.

Louisiana is a somewhat backwards state when it comes to the language it uses in the legal system. As in there is a LOT of room for a judge to use in meting out a sentence for simple battery and very little room in domestic abuse battery.

(Simple battery can get a sentence of $1000 and 6 months in jail ------ down to ---- nothing even if found guilty.

while

domestic abuse battery has sentencing guidelines

I hear Dog the bounty hunter bailed out Cage. :D Classic!

Yeah I saw that & wondered too......After all Cage could surely post 11k no problem eh?

Maybe they meant Dog handled the bail bond?

Yes, maybe he had a mental block about paying it on his own even though he has the money. It appears Cage doesn't like to pay other government debts either like $14 million in taxes even though he makes a lot of money with his movies. http://www.limonwhitaker.com/our-blog/bid/56654/IRS-Trouble-for-Nicolas-Cage