What'S The Best Bank Branch In Cm?

ChiangMaiFun

I want to transfer out of Bank of Ayudhya which has gone downhill insisting sending requests for letters about money from overseas to buy property to BKK - they never used to do it and I've had enough. never the same at Thapae Road now the guy who I dealt with has moved branches - they are rude and uninterested.

I already have a Bangkok Bank account and a TMB - so which is the very best branch (of ANY bank) in Chiang Mai for service to Farang?

I use the BKK Bank on Charoen Mueang Road. San Ka Phoi Branch. The foreign exchange desk is manned by a young lady who has taken care of all my foreign transfers at minimum costs. She is polite, great humour and speaks excellent English.

I also had an account in another branch , but moved away and had to open a new account and an FCD account in the above mentioned branch. Cost 300 baht for the regular account which included the ATM card. But the FCD was free of charge.

Hope that helps

We've been most happy with the Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank. We especially like the fact that BKK has a branch in NYC, so we can have Hubby's private pension check direct deposited to BKK NYC and it's immediately available to us here, in baht at a good conversion rate, with no extra fees. They always have good English speakers available for assistance at KSK.

We've been most happy with the Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank. We especially like the fact that BKK has a branch in NYC, so we can have Hubby's private pension check direct deposited to BKK NYC and it's immediately available to us here, in baht at a good conversion rate, with no extra fees. They always have good English speakers available for assistance at KSK.

That's the branch which made me resolve never to have an account with Bangkok Bank again! I think the only answer to OP's question is the branch where you feel most at home, and that will not be the same for all of us. I have had an account for many years at SCB, Chiangmai University, and I couldn't ask for pleasanter service... but I'm sure it wouldn't suit everybody. That said, I have always found the people at TMB, Huaykeow Road very helpful.

That's the branch which made me resolve never to have an account with Bangkok Bank again! I think the only answer to OP's question is the branch where you feel most at home, and that will not be the same for all of us. I have had an account for many years at SCB, Chiangmai University, and I couldn't ask for pleasanter service... but I'm sure it wouldn't suit everybody. That said, I have always found the people at TMB, Huaykeow Road very helpful.

How good is Bkk bank's internet banking??

Bangkok banks internet banking is very good , better than what I used in the USA . There customer service via phone is good as well just takes a little time . I have been very happy with the service and what I can do with BKK Bank

I agree.. I have an account with Khad Suan kaew branch as well. Great introductory service at first, but then came the hidden charges, ( levied by all local banks at the managers discretion) (but that is Thailand) And so I moved away to a more personalised service to San Kha Poi branch who send me out reminders of new promotions for savings schemes.

I think it all comes down to our various personalities and how we interact with the various banks and the individuals involved. I think the poster is suggesting that BKK has a branch in NYC. I do not think this correct as BKK bank have only limited outlets in the west because of Western banking regulations. But I will not argue with the supplied information you received from your local Thailand branch of Bangkok Bank as to their international outlets or their various selling techniques to persuade you to use their services..

My few years in Thailand and experience of Thai business people, is that Thai business people in general; say things that they think will influence you to make a choice in favour of their products...irrespective of whether their statements are true or false. They have no government controls or governing consumer bodies to prevent them from them spouting their sales spin and rhetoric with the public and their lack of sales morals or techniques in order to gain a "sale".

A bit different from western ideology and regulations to protect the consumer, but something I am now accustomed to and use to my advantage, with courtesy.

I hail from a very small country and I think it is misleading of the poster to suggest that BKK has a special contact with NYC. The BKK Bank have a contact with ALL major banks in the west for FCD accounts under the "swift code and transfer regulations". Such is internet banking.

But only a few western countries have an established Bank Of Bangkok and whether they have such a BKK branch or not in various countries,will NOT prevent you from making an international transfer from your local bank back home.

No harm to you Nancy L, I was merely trying to clarify that Thai banks have contacts with all major banks in the west. Indeed it is in their interest to do so, because It makes money for them.

I transferred a substantial amount of UK sterling to an FCD to a bangkok Branch without a hitch, which took three working days and cost me 400 baht.

I doubt many here have experience with more than 2 or 3 Thai banks.

I agree 100% with NancyL about the KSK branch of Bangkok Bank. I don't know of any other Thai bank that has a branch in the US. That's a huge benefit to many Americans. imho, the English speaking staff at the KSK branch is excellent and has been able to answer any question satisfactorily on the first try. I've had occasion to deal with every other bank in KSK and have not been impressed by any of them.

ymmv.

I agree 100% with NancyL about the KSK branch of Bangkok Bank. I don't know of any other Thai bank that has a branch in the US. That's a huge benefit to many Americans. imho, the English speaking staff at the KSK branch is excellent and has been able to answer any question satisfactorily on the first try. I've had occasion to deal with every other bank in KSK and have not been impressed by any of them.

ymmv.

And yet you refer to your experience "I have had occasion to deal with every other bank in KSK" There are many other banks around this city apart from KSK... It seems that your experience is limited to KSK. How can you make such a profound statement based upon one shopping mall. Your statement of "I don't know of any other Thai bank that has a branch in the US" is based upon limited localised experience in one area of KSK and not Chiang Mai banks in general.

Edited by Raindancer

Don't know if it is even relevant, but I have it from a number of sources that Bangkok Bank IS the only Thai bank with a US branch. Siam Commercial does not according to recent information from them.

I've had accounts/dealings with BKK Bank, Siam Commercial, and K-bank, and in all cases employees in and around town (doubtless 10 branches) were able to assist me, sometimes handing me off to the better English speaker. However, these were not complex business transactions involving interpretations or understandings of Thai banking laws.

ymmv.

And yet you refer to your experience "I have had occasion to deal with every other bank in KSK" There are many other banks around this city apart from KSK... It seems that your experience is limited to KSK. How can you make such a profound statement based upon one shopping mall. Your statement of "I don't know of any other Thai bank that has a branch in the US" is based upon limited localised experience in one area of KSK and not Chiang Mai banks in general.

Wow, sorry I upset you, Raindancer.

I'm including myself in that category of having experience limited to maybe 3 banks in CM. I stated my specific experiences. I think we're all limited by our localized experience. But please let me know if you find another Thai bank that has a branch in the US. Many of us would be interested in that info.

[...]

I think it all comes down to our various personalities and how we interact with the various banks and the individuals involved. I think the poster is suggesting that BKK has a branch in NYC. I do not think this correct as BKK bank have only limited outlets in the west because of Western banking regulations. But I will not argue with the supplied information you received from your local Thailand branch of Bangkok Bank as to their international outlets or their various selling techniques to persuade you to use their services..

[...]

From the Bangkok Bank Limited website ( http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Us/International%20Branches/Pages/Branch%20in%20USA.aspx ):

New York Branch

The New York branch is a US federal chartered branch which functions as a wholesale bank.

There are many services available including:

Trade Finance

Corporate Lending

Remittance/Funds Transfer

Deposit Accounts (restricted)

Please contact the branch directly for more details:

New York Branch

Mr. Thitipong Prasertsilp, VP & Branch Manager

Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited New York Branch

29 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Business Hours: Mon.-Fri. From 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

Swift: BKKB US 33

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Raindancer, my husband's U.S.-issued pension check is direct deposited to our account via the NYC BKK every month. It is done automatically. There are no charges, like your 400 baht wire transfer charge. Nor is there a waiting period like the three days you listed in your example. We confirmed the availability of this service with the issuer of my husband's pension check -- a Fortune 100 company. The pension check comes in as nicely as it did back in the days when we had it direct deposited to our account at this company's credit union in the same town as it's U.S. headquarters. It's all very slick and trouble-free. I know of no other Thai bank where we could arrange regular direct deposit of a monthly pension check issued by a U.S. company.

Edited by NancyL

Raindancer, my husband's U.S.-issued pension check is direct deposited to our account via the NYC BKK every month. It is done automatically. There are no charges, like your 400 baht wire transfer charge. Nor is there a waiting period like the three days you listed in your example. We confirmed the availability of this service with the issuer of my husband's pension check -- a Fortune 100 company. The pension check comes in as nicely as it did back in the days when we had it direct deposited to our account at this company's credit union in the same town as it's U.S. headquarters. It's all very slick and trouble-free. I know of no other Thai bank where we could arrange regular direct deposit of a monthly pension check issued by a U.S. company.

Ok...Thanks Nancy.

Wow, sorry I upset you, Raindancer.

I'm including myself in that category of having experience limited to maybe 3 banks in CM. I stated my specific experiences. I think we're all limited by our localized experience. But please let me know if you find another Thai bank that has a branch in the US. Many of us would be interested in that info.

Tried to reply to you several times, but was blocked because..."I had exceeded the number of posts/replies allowed by Thai Visa". Don't quite understand that!

You have not upset me and I am limited by my reply due to the constrictions of this forum and attempted previous replies. Thank you for your input to my statement.

Regards

is that statement correct

but then came the hidden charges, ( levied by all local banks at the managers discretion

???

It it irritating to get forgein credit done to your savings account, no advice, no details of charges or FX rate, at least at Siam Commercial Any different at Bangkok Bank?

[...]

[...]

From the Bangkok Bank Limited website ( http://www.bangkokba...20in%20USA.aspx ):

New York Branch

The New York branch is a US federal chartered branch which functions as a wholesale bank.

There are many services available including:

•Trade Finance

•Corporate Lending

•Remittance/Funds Transfer

•Deposit Accounts (restricted)

Please contact the branch directly for more details:

New York Branch

Mr. Thitipong Prasertsilp, VP & Branch Manager

Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited New York Branch

29 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Business Hours: Mon.-Fri. From 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

Swift: BKKB US 33

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

/ Priceless

Thank you priceless. My apologies to Nancy L for that particular part of my post on BKK bank in NYC, without completing my research.

How good is Bkk bank's internet banking??

Bangkok banks internet banking is very good , better than what I used in the USA . There customer service via phone is good as well just takes a little time . I have been very happy with the service and what I can do with BKK Bank

what were you using in the USA? BB is acceptable, but most banks usa have very detailed transaction information, especially for purchases. I do not get this with debit card purchases with bangkok bank.

Thanks everybody for contributions... I have an account at Bangkok Bank already and TMB and Ayudhaya I am more interested in the personal service on a branch by branch basis. I am not American - I know Bangkok Bank has a branch in London which could be very useful - but I am interested in Chiang Mai branches.