HRW: Grad rocket kills Libyans waiting in line for bread

News_Editor

HRW: Grad rocket kills Libyans waiting in line for bread

2011-04-18 07:16:18 GMT+7 (ICT)

MISRATA, LIBYA (BNO NEWS) -- Rockets and mortars fired by forces loyal to the Libyan government have killed at least 16 civilians since Thursday, including 8 civilians waiting in line for bread, Human Rights Watch reported on late Sunday.

The ongoing conflict in Libya began in mid-February and was inspired by revolutions in Egypt and Tunisia, as well as widespread anti-government protests in other countries. But Libyan government forces launched a deadly crackdown on protesters, which included aerial bombardments, leading to a UN-sanctioned no-fly zone over the North African state.

Since the no-fly zone was imposed, Libyan government forces have opted instead for other measures to fight the rebels. An estimated 2,000 to 8,000 people, including rebels and government forces, have so far been killed in the conflict that has escalated to a civil war.

According to Human Rights Watch, citing witness and survivor accounts, at least 16 civilians have been killed in the rebel-held city of Misrata since Thursday. One strike killed eight civilians waiting in line for bread at a bakery, while another strike that hit a medical clinic wounded four others.

Human Rights Watch said it also inspected the impact sites and found no evidence of military activity in the areas that came under attack, and witnesses also said rebel fighters were not present in those areas when the attacks took place.

The organization said that rocket fragments and remains, some with the markings intact, indicate that a barrage of rockets that hit one residential neighborhood were Soviet-designed Grads, which are unguided rockets often fired in salvos to cover a wide area.

"Libyan government forces have repeatedly fired mortars and Grad rockets into residential neighborhoods in Misrata, causing civilian casualties," said Peter Bouckaert, emergencies director at Human Rights Watch. "The Soviet-made Grad in particular is one of the world's most inaccurate rocket systems and should never be fired in areas with civilians."

Misrata is the only rebel-held city in Libya's west and government forces have tried to retake control of the city since late February. Human Rights Watch said, citing doctors, that at least 267 bodies have been brought to Misrata hospital morgues as of Friday.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-18

I wonder if HRW has ever considered how many deaths have resulted from the loose interpretation of the UN resolution to impose a 'No Fly Zone' by Nato and the US?

If I understand correctly it was imposed to prevent Gadaffi bombing the rebels, not to give permission for an outside force to bomb him.

I see they estimate 2,000 to 8,000 people, including rebels and government forces Have been killed, a big range and a their way of saying 'we dont know'. However I would suspect most will be Gadaffis forces given that:

I see from an other news source that the Nato commander has prowedly announced that air strikes and missiles have taken out 30% of Gadaffis forces, but even with this his forces outnumber the rebels 10 to 1.

How many lives does that equate to, how many parents without a son, wives without a husband, children without a father?

I see also that they bombed Gadaffis residence, a great military target, how many staff, maids,cooks and gofers died in that raid?

Then there are the 'friendly fire' incidents, accidents, that took out quite a few rebels, how friendly can you get?

I would also suspect that as soon as a rebel is killed or injured he reverts back to a civilian for the record.

And for why? OIL of course. Has the tanker that was supposed to be filling up with the $100mill of tax free oil left yet and bound for where?

And the $100mill where would that have gone, I can answer that, into the rebel leaders overseas bank accounts.

The only thing that will come out this no matter who comes out on top is "hate", mainly for the west, as the rebels have already said they are not getting enough help like with training and supply of weapons and more hate from Gadaffi and those loyal to him.

This is likely to result in more bombings of cities in the west, live by the bomb, die by the bomb.

You can probably see I abhore this so called 'intervasion' whatever the excuse and against whatever country.

If there is a lighter side to this, and I found it ironic to see the rebels on tele with their hands in the air praying to Allah for help from above, and who does he send, the Christians, couldnt have wanted to pick sides between two lots of Muslims.

Confucius is reputed to have said "War dosent prove who is right only who is left"

I wonder if HRW has ever considered how many deaths have resulted from the loose interpretation of the UN resolution to impose a 'No Fly Zone' by Nato and the US?

If I understand correctly it was imposed to prevent Gadaffi bombing the rebels, not to give permission for an outside force to bomb him.

I see they estimate 2,000 to 8,000 people, including rebels and government forces Have been killed, a big range and a their way of saying 'we dont know'. However I would suspect most will be Gadaffis forces given that:

I see from an other news source that the Nato commander has prowedly announced that air strikes and missiles have taken out 30% of Gadaffis forces, but even with this his forces outnumber the rebels 10 to 1.

How many lives does that equate to, how many parents without a son, wives without a husband, children without a father?

I see also that they bombed Gadaffis residence, a great military target, how many staff, maids,cooks and gofers died in that raid?

Then there are the 'friendly fire' incidents, accidents, that took out quite a few rebels, how friendly can you get?

I would also suspect that as soon as a rebel is killed or injured he reverts back to a civilian for the record.

And for why? OIL of course. Has the tanker that was supposed to be filling up with the $100mill of tax free oil left yet and bound for where?

And the $100mill where would that have gone, I can answer that, into the rebel leaders overseas bank accounts.

The only thing that will come out this no matter who comes out on top is "hate", mainly for the west, as the rebels have already said they are not getting enough help like with training and supply of weapons and more hate from Gadaffi and those loyal to him.

This is likely to result in more bombings of cities in the west, live by the bomb, die by the bomb.

You can probably see I abhore this so called 'intervasion' whatever the excuse and against whatever country.

If there is a lighter side to this, and I found it ironic to see the rebels on tele with their hands in the air praying to Allah for help from above, and who does he send, the Christians, couldnt have wanted to pick sides between two lots of Muslims.

Confucius is reputed to have said "War dosent prove who is right only who is left"

I really agree with you. They're two-face clowns.

All they're doing there is aiding the rebels, and no one is complaining about it.

Where did the rebels come from?

Where did the rebels get their weapons from?

No one really wants to know.

I will be interested to see what happens if the uprising in Syria results in a similar number of casualties to Libya then the U.N would have difficulty not also intervening given the uncomfortable precedent sent in Libya.

P.S If the U.N are doing requests I would prefer the Syrian regime removed to the Libyan one. ;)

I will be interested to see what happens if the uprising in Syria results in a similar number of casualties to Libya then the U.N would have difficulty not also intervening given the uncomfortable precedent sent in Libya.

P.S If the U.N are doing requests I would prefer the Syrian regime removed to the Libyan one. ;)

You are right about Syria Dan, some could see it very attractive target for 'saving cevilians' as it is the back door to Iran.

I totally disagree with any Western intervention in any Middle Eastern countries and in particular the various current uprising. I do however agree that Syria is far more in need of a regime change than Libya. But the land of Syria is indeed a hornets nest and even the US knows this. Thank heavens. It would be nothing short of political suicide as well as sending lambs to the slaughter to intervene there. Arabs and muslims from around the world would be lining up to fight foreign invaders there. Bad do do. :ph34r: