Someone Wants To Get Rid Of His Nsr 150/250 Sp?

Until I can grab a "real Bike", I need something to do.

And because I like these old 2-strokers, I think, I want one of them. Maybe a second one for spare parts. ;-)

So I'm looking for a NSR 150/250 SP, in any condition (but no accident), to start a small new Project.

Even non-runners etc...

Only requirement:

Bike must have a green/"grey" Book, possible to tax and insure it.

Any Offers are welcome, so please PM me (english/german)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you just missed my NSR150 in the classifieds. It went as a songkran bargain. I figured I would be better renting big bikes for trackdays rather than flogging my own.

Good luck in your search!

Ps. What's your budget and where are you? If I come across anything interesting, I'll post it here.

Ps. What's your budget and where are you? If I come across anything interesting, I'll post it here.

I have no fixed budget, but I don't pay "fantasy-prices".

i stay in the Pattaya Area, but distance is no problem, if it is a real interesting offer.

if you are interested I do have a Yamaha TZM150 if you are interested. The NSR is gone already.

For my project, I want a NSR, BUT...maybe as a "Spare Bike", depends on condition and at least the price :rolleyes:

If you want, you can send me some details and your asking price via Pm

Edited by vel_tins

Perhaps try this one for 27,000b.

bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/2310128070.html

If wanted as a toy to play with maybe you could take it all apart before putting it back together again.

What's the price on your TZM Submaniac.

I bought an old 1994 model in 2007, was good fun. Unfortunately I had no time for it and it was close to the end of it's life with a good few problems and after sitting for 6 months gave it away for 5k thb.

Majorly regret it as afterwards ended up with a lot of time and would have loved to have still had it as a toy to do up. Oh well.

Edited by hehehoho

Perhaps try this one for 27,000b.

bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/2310128070.html

well, I found this Bike already, but the owner didn't answer until now.. :unsure:

What's the price on your TZM Submaniac.

no answer as well until now, but I have enough time, and can wait a little bit..

mocyc.com. Get a Thai to help you. Loads on there and cheap too. If you can't find one, put your own ad up 'Looking to buy an NSR'. I am sure you will get inundated! Plenty of klunkers too, so that will fill up your time. :)

Or how about a KR/Serpico/Victor M?

Edited by MaiChai

mocyc.com. Get a Thai to help you. Loads on there and cheap too. If you can't find one, put your own ad up 'Looking to buy an NSR'. I am sure you will get inundated! Plenty of klunkers too, so that will fill up your time. :)

Good Tip! I looked around a little bit with google translate. Loads of Bikes and really cheaper than in Farang Classifieds.

Now I only need a Thai, who has some knowledge in Bikes, so he can ask, what I want to know.

But for the first contact, my GF might be ok.

Or how about a KR/Serpico/Victor M?

I don't know these Bikes (KR = Kawasaki KRR?). But I think with the NSR's you have the best options with spare/tuning-parts.

Edited by vel_tins

Tons of KRRs/Serpicos/Victor Ms, etc. All these bikes use the same engine. Kawasaki was selling this bike up to a couple of years ago. Much newer design than TZR/M and NSRs. Better emissions (eg less smoke). About the size of a cbr so a little smaller/lighter than an NSR. Still very popular with the Thais. Anyway, I think you have plenty of choice :)

Sorry you just missed my NSR150 in the classifieds. It went as a songkran bargain...

Dude, saw that one go and almost bought it m'self for a dedicated track bike at that price! Good thing my rational [Thai] better half got a hold of me first laugh.gif

mocyc.com. Get a Thai to help you. Loads on there and cheap too. If you can't find one, put your own ad up 'Looking to buy an NSR'. I am sure you will get inundated! Plenty of klunkers too, so that will fill up your time....

Yeah, assume ZERO maintenance and a frag grenade in-waiting. There's a bike chop shop on every block in BKK selling total wreck rebuilds - real HorrorShow stuff, like wreck frames hacksawed up & Somchai-welded back up in some fashion or other. Wouldn't go there unless you're planning only to take the bike out for grocery runs and not for the track where you test the machine's mettle & metal. At least with some expat provenance in a bike's recent history, you'll get a bike that has had the oil changed with a frequency of less than ten years.

Yeah, assume ZERO maintenance and a frag grenade in-waiting. There's a bike chop shop on every block in BKK selling total wreck rebuilds - real HorrorShow stuff, like wreck frames hacksawed up & Somchai-welded back up in some fashion or other. Wouldn't go there unless you're planning only to take the bike out for grocery runs and not for the track where you test the machine's mettle & metal. At least with some expat provenance in a bike's recent history, you'll get a bike that has had the oil changed with a frequency of less than ten years.

@bbradsby

I doubt, you read the headlines and my first post in this thread attentively!

If you read it again, you will notice, why and what I want to do!

And one more note to the dreamers: NO, I really, really, really refuse to pay 50K Bt for a NSR 150 (maybe yes, if one year free fuel, oil and noodlesoup included) :lol: :lol:

Edited by vel_tins

@bbradsby

And one more note to the dreamers: NO, I really, really, really refuse to pay 50K Bt for a NSR 150 (maybe yes, if one year free fuel, oil and noodlesoup included) :lol: :lol:

OK, with all due respect, whatever level that may actually be:

People here are trying to help you in response to your posted request, and have offered tech help & advise on NSRs. So if ya just want to be a clown laugh.giflaugh.gif, ha ha ha [sheesh], please leave us out of it and just go to a Thai chop shop and buy your beat-up, wrecked & Somchai-welded frame NSR 'project'. Should be very confidence inspiring mid-turn at 150Kmh, and we'll see which was cheaper - buying a solid example or having a shop replace the exploded engine/re-weld the frame again on your 'project' because youre in the hospital after it tossed your arse into the Armco barrier or a ditch somewhere.

@bbradsby

I don't want to argue with you about "somchai welded frames" etc. pp.

I think, everyone here, who answered in this thread before, understood my intentions, the why and the how.

And at least, why do you think, I am looking here, in a "Farang-Forum", for a Bike?

If I wanted to have a perfect motorbike, I would buy new. I want something, where I can work/restore/modify/tune/etc.. on.

BOREDOM, you understand?

Ok, now peace and back to the Topic

@bbradsby

You can have my SP for 50K, then I can buy another three broken ones and fix them up :)

I think if you are going to buy a 2nd hand bike and you are a bit of a mech, you will know what to look for and avoid the pitfalls. I bought a bike via mocyc.com and it was in pretty good condition. The Thai guy who owned it was interested in maintaining it, it was cheap, I got alot of use out of it, and I was very happy with my purchase. After all no one is forcing you to buy a bike?

I also looked at a KR on mocyc.com; again ok condition, took it for a spin; the guy decided not to sell because he was really attached to his bike. As I said I think KRs are pretty good bikes. NSRs are a hyped up to be honest; I think the design is quite dated. Mind you its really over engineered, so ideal for sizing up for performance and the early ones are very heavy and stick to the road like glue. Depends on what you want really?

Some people want to buy a bike and ride it; some people like the mechanical side and fixing up bikes. Whatever appeals to you. I think we know which side I am on? Other than that I have no axe to grind; just trying to be helpful and sharing experience. :)

Anyone got any horror stories to share?

Edited by MaiChai

You can have my SP for 50K, then I can buy another three broken ones and fix them up

Exactly the same what I thought, when I got this 50K offer. :)

I think if you are going to buy a 2nd hand bike and you are a bit of a mech, you will know what to look for and avoid the pitfalls

I think 30 Years of experience in overhauling Car's (and sometimes Bikes)and engine-repair should avoid the most pitfalls. (hopefully)

But I am 100% sure, I don't need or want a "somchai" to fix my Bike/Car ;)

BTW: It seems, that many people are really pissed off by the thai "mechanics".

(Hmm, maybe the time is ripe, to open a Farang managed repair workshop :whistling: anyone like to participate? :D )

Some people want to buy a bike and ride it; some people like the mechanical side and fixing up bikes

I think for me, it is 50:50 with a slight tendency to the technical side.

Other than that I have no axe to grind; just trying to be helpful and sharing experience.

:thumbsup:

I can confirm, mocyc.com is a good Site, but a little bit exhausting, if you can't read Thai. Even to find out the "real market price" for a Bike/Car.

Edited by vel_tins

@bbradsby

You can have my SP for 50K, then I can buy another three broken ones and fix them up :)

I think if you are going to buy a 2nd hand bike and you are a bit of a mech, you will know what to look for and avoid the pitfalls. I bought a bike via mocyc.com and it was in pretty good condition. The Thai guy who owned it was interested in maintaining it, it was cheap, I got alot of use out of it, and I was very happy with my purchase. After all no one is forcing you to buy a bike?

I also looked at a KR on mocyc.com; again ok condition, took it for a spin; the guy decided not to sell because he was really attached to his bike. As I said I think KRs are pretty good bikes. NSRs are a hyped up to be honest; I think the design is quite dated. Mind you its really over engineered, so ideal for sizing up for performance and the early ones are very heavy and stick to the road like glue. Depends on what you want really?

Some people want to buy a bike and ride it; some people like the mechanical side and fixing up bikes. Whatever appeals to you. I think we know which side I am on? Other than that I have no axe to grind; just trying to be helpful and sharing experience. :)

Anyone got any horror stories to share?

Ive found the NSR's to be engineered the best, also being able to operate in a type of 'limp' mode when everything isn't exactly 100%. For example the rc valve can still be operated by hand if the control unit goes out. The TZM you can forget about riding it, as well as having a problem with the impeller shaft seal leaking water into the engine casing. The KRR's have problems with the pistons seizing up do to aged oil sending units. NSR's are engineered the best in my experience.

I have had two NSRs and they are dead reliable. I put that down to being a Honda.

First bike I had was a Yamaha Beller (15 years ago). This has been handed down to my son and I just did a rebuild on it. This is a reliable bike, but a bit tempermental 2stroke wise. Very difficult to destroy this bike; it spent 15 years on Thai country dirt roads and its still going! This has just had a new carb, rebore/piston, break master cylinder piston, front brake pads, some body plastics (including a painted front fender for 120 baht!), exhaust decoke, new front exhaust pipe, engine resprayed, 4 spokes on the back wheel and alot of cleaning!!!

I had a Yamaha TZR and not as reliable as both NSRs. Again sometimes 2stroke tempermentals. The downer with the TZR is the kickstart has a habit of stripping nuts. Then you can't start the bike. Last time it happened to me I got a jump start from a couple of security guards! Luckily the nuts are 10 baht a pop from my favourite bike shop (obviously a hot selling item), but you don't want to be carrying a spanner and spare nut round with you when the inevitable happens, even if its a 5 min job. I also suffered the water seal leak you mentioned.

The Somchai comment: thats why I do my own mechanics, house wires, anything technical here. Its cheaper, I know its done properly, and I get a bit of exercise rather than sitting around on my ass :)

Edited by MaiChai

You've had the milk in the engine too...makes it hard to shift after a while, too bad the TZM wasn't engineered better. I like the power curve on these better than the NSR, go up a few teeth on the back and its like unleashing a monster at 10k rpm. Thing roars and keeps climbing, its insane.

You have to use the washer with that dam_n nut, not an ordinary washer , but that thin kind. I started thread locking that nut. One time i kicked the 'stay' (pegs) right clean off when the kickstart nut came loose. Almost every TZM I've come across had always been rejetted to something bigger, making it harder to start after 3 days.

My all time favorite 2 stroke in Thailand was a first generation NSR, the one with 1 headlight. It was a bit heavier a bit lower and alot uglier and internal gearing was made for low-mid power causing the powerband to hit faster, it'll stick like glue to the pavement and the powerband was almost instantaneous. You could pitch this bike back and forth, and it would eat up the turns. The bigger 18 inch back wheel aided when you pitched into a turn. I put on 'RR' style fairings and no one was any wiser, this was the type of bike that won races , not because of the rider, but because of the bike. When i first got it , it was a total basket case. Wrong pipe, severely slipping clutch, mis jetted, wrong sprockets, fouled plug...Man it was rough.

This is the one:

Edited by KRS1

Look on the right side of the bike where the rc valve cables are attached to the pulley. Start the bike and give it gas, the cables should move with varying amounts of throttle.

If there is no movement, it dont work. The factory spec position is about 2 clicks from the left. But it can be easily adjusted.

BUT

The bike is still rideable and you can adjust your powerband by setting the pulley position. A working RC valve simply allows the bike to have another powerband during high rpms.

If its the TZM, the Yamaha equivalent makes a sound like an actuator when you turn the key on.

The Kawasaki KRR/ZX is a manually controlled valve requiring no motor or control unit.

A quick question:

I have read about Problems with the RC Valve. How can I check, if it works properly?

There its normal no problem with the rc.

If you turn the key igintion than you mus wil here the rc valve.

When not than you wil have a problem with the cdi.

some thai take the cable from the rc valve off, wy than the bike wil not running tomuch benzine

The NSR150SP shop manual was really hard to find online. Eventually I found it in an Australian forum and then shared it a bit here and finally posted on the net here and here. The pdf had a password so I had to remove that. Setup for the RC valve is included.

RC valve is just a flap that makes the exhaust hole small at low rpms and large at high rpms. If the valve fails you can set the valve so that it starts and idles ok at some reduction in performance at high rpms. Eg the hole size is preset just like a bike without an rc valve. Thus you don't need it really, unless you want to fly!

At one point I had an SP and the 1st generation NSR. I needed to sell one of them and the 1st gen was in better condition than the SP. They both had a different ride, but I like both of them. In the end I sold the 1st gen, but I missed its ride.

Edited by MaiChai

The NSR150SP shop manual was really hard to find online. Eventually I found it in an Australian forum and then shared it a bit here and finally posted on the net here and here. The pdf had a password so I had to remove that. Setup for the RC valve is included.

Yep, it was hard to find, but finally I got a PDF Copy from somewhere (don't remember).

Should help a lot.

Now, I only need a decent Bike :)

Edited by vel_tins