6,000 American Sailors Depart Pattaya After Brief Visit

webfact

image.jpeg

The United States Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 9, consisting of 6,000 sailors, ended their brief stay in Pattaya on April 28th. The sailors' presence in the city from April 24th to 28th brought a significant increase in commercial activity, particularly to Pattaya’s nightlife district, Walking Street. 

Local businesses, including bars and restaurants, benefited greatly from this short visit. Sunthorn, owner of a Walking Street go-go bar, expressed his delight at the revival of international tourism after the COVID-19 pandemic. He estimated that the sailors' stay helped generate hundreds of millions of baht in revenue for Pattaya.

Pattaya Nightlife Business Association’s President, Lisa Hamilton, noted a difference in the sailors' behavior. Instead of just frequenting bars, many sailors were seen shopping in the malls or relaxing on the beach. She attributed this change to either the city's warm weather or the US Navy's regulations aiming to avoid any undesirable incidents.

Kai and Chris, owner and manager of another local go-go bar, concurred with Sunthorn's opinions. They also saw a significant business uptick during the sailors' visit and thanked the Pattaya authorities for their efforts to boost local tourism.

Picture: Creative Commons License via Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

What policy is there to avoid red light areas? The only rule I know about for leave from a ship is to try and not congregate many sailors into one establishment. This way if it is targeted the military casualties are not so many to affect the ships performance. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya Nightlife Business Association’s President, Lisa Hamilton, noted a difference in the sailors' behavior. Instead of just frequenting bars, many sailors were seen shopping in the malls or relaxing on the beach. She attributed this change to either the city's warm weather or the US Navy's regulations aiming to avoid any undesirable incidents.

She is an idiot who knows nothing about who comes and what they do there. Or she is providing more lip service to the news. 

I am curious if there were many women waiting at the docks for the sailors to get off like it was in the old days. Hundreds of working girls waiting the men to offload the boats to choose them first. Kind of like what they still do at some hotels near soi 3 Nana in Bkk. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The sailors' presence in the city from April 24th to 28th brought a significant increase in commercial activity, particularly to Pattaya’s nightlife district, Walking Street. 

I bet the girls went bandy seeing them arrive, next day couldn't stop a pig in a corridor.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Do they still have the rule that 1st 24hrs of shore leave is in uniform? 

Used to see that in Singapore in the mid 80s.  I was told the rule was to stop idiots getting into trouble.  If you got arrested whilst in uniform then you were in big trouble. 

So the sailors limited the amount of grog drunk in their first 24hrs and hence less trouble. Seemed to work well. 

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

What policy is there to avoid red light areas? The only rule I know about for leave from a ship is to try and not congregate many sailors into one establishment. This way if it is targeted the military casualties are not so many to affect the ships performance. 

She is an idiot who knows nothing about who comes and what they do there. Or she is providing more lip service to the news. 

I am curious if there were many women waiting at the docks for the sailors to get off like it was in the old days. Hundreds of working girls waiting the men to offload the boats to choose them first. Kind of like what they still do at some hotels near soi 3 Nana in Bkk. 

I have asked them about that policy and it is very hard and fast. With a captains mast / career ending consequences. I don't know about at night but they are never seen in daytime with a girl. I'm sure there is a network with the taxi drivers who take them to discret locations stocked  with girls.

• Confused 1

a significant increase in commercial activity

Now, that's one way of putting it - now the boys drip in and out of sick bay and by the time they hit home, the dripping is over ....... everybody is happy; what more do you want. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Sheer BS

555 but,but,but says the Ministry of Tourism (currenty undergoing a 'renovation' in leadership) 'Thailand doesn't have prostitution'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

555 but,but,but says the Ministry of Tourism (currenty undergoing a 'renovation' in leadership) 'Thailand doesn't have prostitution'

It's only the above keeping Thailand afloat

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

This fleet deployed from San Diego, California in January 2024 for service in the Western Pacific. It appears Thailand was its first break from duty. A fleet commander would be very specific to the ship captains, sailors and officers as to the decorum expected on landing in Thailand for a shore break and the consequences otherwise during the long months back to US. 

Is that speech before handing out condoms or after?

How much cash do they keep aboard those American Navy vessels?

Where do they keep the cash?

Do they provide the sailors with Bt. or with USD for their shore leave?

Are the girls allowed to board the vessels?

I recall that, in Singapore, the girls would climb up the sides of large vessels using ropes thrown down to them by the onboard sailors.

Still the same, these days, in Thailand?

• Sad 1