Bangkok sizzles at 40°C, heatwave scorches Thailand at 43°C

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand is currently experiencing sweltering heat, with temperatures soaring to a blistering 43 degrees Celsius in some areas, while Bangkok faces highs of around 40 degrees Celsius. Amid this intense heatwave, the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) cautioned the public to avoid prolonged outdoor activities and to take care of their health.

The northern region is particularly affected, with temperatures ranging from 24 to 30 degrees Celsius at night and hitting highs between 37 and 43 degrees Celsius during the day. Thunderstorms are expected in about 10% of the area, accompanied by strong winds in places like Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, and Phetchabun.

The northeastern region is not spared, with scorching temperatures and sporadic thunderstorms also expected in about 10% of the area, particularly in Loei, Chaiyaphum, and Nakhon Ratchasima. The lowest temperatures at night will hover between 25 and 29 degrees Celsius, with daytime highs reaching between 39 and 42 degrees Celsius.

Central Thailand is also grappling with the heat, with similar conditions of thunderstorms in 10% of the region and gusty winds in areas such as Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Uthai Thani, and Lopburi. The temperatures range from 27 to 29 degrees Celsius at the coolest part of the night to 39 to 41 degrees Celsius at the peak of the day’s heat.

The eastern part of Thailand is generally hot, with scattered thunderstorms in 10% of the region, notably in Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat. The mercury dips to between 26 and 30 degrees Celsius at night and climbs to between 35 and 41 degrees Celsius during the day. The sea is relatively calm with waves under 1 metre, but during thunderstorms, the waves can exceed 1 metre.

The situation is similar in the southern east coast provinces like Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla, Yala, and Narathiwat, where the temperatures fluctuate between 24 and 28 degrees Celsius at night and 35 to 40 degrees Celsius during the day. Sea conditions are generally calm, with waves below 1 metre rising above 1 meter during thunderstorms.

Temperature rises

The southern west coast, comprising provinces like Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang, and Satun, experiences hot weather with a higher chance of thunderstorms, affecting 30% of the region. The temperatures here range from 25 to 29 degrees Celsius at night to 35 to 38 degrees Celsius in the daytime. The sea has waves averaging around 1 metre, increasing in height during thunderstorms.

In Bangkok and its vicinity, the heat is pervasive, with occasional cloud cover during the day and isolated areas of extreme heat. The temperature at night is expected to be between 28 and 30 degrees Celsius, while daytime temperatures are predicted to reach between 36 and 40 degrees Celsius, reported KhaoSod.

During this period of intense heat, the public is advised to stay hydrated, seek shade, and limit outdoor activities during the hottest parts of the day. The elderly, children and those with health issues should be particularly cautious.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of wirestock, Freepik

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

Now that it is getting hotter, seemingly year by year, some of us might still feel cooler than others, depending upon the shapes of our noses.

I am interested in how nose shape helps cool us down,  and this might include inner-cranial cooling, as well.

Also, have you ever wondered why the nose is located on the face, or on the head, and not somewhere else on the body?  The reason is obvious, and the nose, due to Evolutionary forces, has evolved on the front of the head, where it can be close to the brain, in order to keep this second-most-important organ slightly cooler.

40 degrees C, and 43 degrees C, is just too hot for me.  And, I believe that my nose shape might help to keep me cooler and more comfortable.

There is now mounting evidence for this:

image.png.bad3c6389151cf7664847e7cfc01fdce.png

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-climate-changed-shape-your-nose-180962567/

image.png.ba61d2675bdfeb2af9532e8874cd3ba8.png

https://thewire.in/science/human-noses-worse-than-their-ancestors-at-air-conditioning-did-evolution-go-wrong

image.png.b7a207b22c3520dcb3582d0bdecffe1c.png

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation?paperid=57864

Personally speaking, I believe that MY nose is just not wide enough for my own liking, simply because I believe that my nose is just too long to effectively help in cooling my brain.  Sure, I am getting extra cooling when I breathe through my nose. But, if I had a wider nose, I might fee cooler, and keep my brain cooler, which is crucial for avoidance of heat-related headaches.

I believe that, this year, we still have at least 30 more days of sizzling sweltering.

And, it's not going to be so fragrant, either, with the pervasive smoke from burning fields and forests.

Sometimes, the smoke even irritates the nose.

We can benefit much from having a good nose.

Note:  I think that the SIZE is not what matters most.  I think there are other factors, such as the ability of the nose to minimize or increase turbulence through nasal passages, which might be more important than size alone.

This information, and the nose on our head, is nothing to sniff at, clearly.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Definitely a hot month and overall hotter than the last few years but even then temps ranged in the high 30's and low 40's so it's not that temperatures are unusually high it's more that it's everyday. Is it a heatwave? Not IMO just a hot month as a heat wave as previously explained is an extended period of unusually high day and night temperatures.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

How much longer? I left Thailand on Feb. 3, been in the US and Europe since, but am returning to BKK May 7. Could it just keep going through May and part of June?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

How much longer? I left Thailand on Feb. 3, been in the US and Europe since, but am returning to BKK May 7. Could it just keep going through May and part of June?

Yes, it could.

I predict that it will.

This heat will continue until October 31st, 2024.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Enzian said:

It will be the same next month and will continue. Temps should drop a bit in May but there will be a dramatic increase in humidity as the wet season approaches. When the wet breaks is another thing because last year it was very late, very short and not very wet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently 41.3 where I am and it's got at least another hour before it may drop. 

Next week I'm gonna get a bloody a/c but into the bedroom.  It's just a bit too warm and a fan is just circulating hot air... Another words it's like a blast furnace. 

Having to jump into the shower about 6 times a day to cool off. 

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

From reading your previously posts (which i enjoy) there seems to be quite a few keyboard bullies on here that would willingly alter the shape of your nose for free.

What?

Have things come to that, already?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Currently 41.3 where I am and it's got at least another hour before it may drop. 

Next week I'm gonna get a bloody a/c but into the bedroom.  It's just a bit too warm and a fan is just circulating hot air... Another words it's like a blast furnace. 

Having to jump into the shower about 6 times a day to cool off. 

No worries.

Please don't take this as a sign of defeat in your battle to uphold your principles.

Science is Science.

Principles are principles.

And, the Scientific Method Rules!

34 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That's why God gave us air con, in my bedroom it was 24C last night, even my dogs sleep with us, they howl until I let them in the room.

Under 21 degrees C is far better, and you will sleep better, too.

Optimal sleeping temp for humans is under 20 degrees C....

According to research you can google yourselves.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Under 21 degrees C is far better, and you will sleep better, too.

Optimal sleeping temp for humans is under 20 degrees C....

According to research you can google yourselves.

I read that every one degree below 25C increases the electricity use by 10%. 24C is OK, in fact I wake up at 3 in the morning because I feel too cold and turn the air con off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hhave you ever wondered why the nose is located on the face?  The reason is obvious, and the nose, due to Evolutionary forces

OT but evolution is a *theory* based on a completely ridiculous 'big bang' *theory* which only over educated (indoctrinated) autists can even attempt to explain.

I don't know all the answers but evolution is NOT 'obvious'.

The 'Scientific Method' is based on scepticism (or should be: see 'the covid science')

Anyway, does anyone still think the weather in Thailand is better than in their home countries?

Edited by BigBruv

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I read that every one degree below 25C increases the electricity use by 10%. 24C is OK, in fact I wake up at 3 in the morning because I feel too cold and turn the air con off. 

Well, of course this depends upon various factors, including insulation, size of room, efficiency of the AC unit, and other factors.

I use ACs that have an EER of 23, or above,  (measured in BTU units not Kcal).  Anyway, these are among the most efficient that are available to the consumer in Thailand in this market.  I use Panasonic inverters. And, I use the most expensive models of the Panasonic inverters.  BUT, as everybody here know, I am NOT satisfied with the quality, compared to the Panasonic ACs I bought in Taiwan/Japan.  I do not know what is causing this. Maybe different quality for different markets, etc....

Also, you need to be careful when thinking that it is best to turn the AC off when you leave the room for a short period of time...

Why?

Because, there is data that shows that it is more efficient to allow the AC to remain on, and maintain a constant temperature, rather than to turn it off for a few hours, and then try to use the AC to re-cool the room, starting at a very high room air temp.

You can google this point, too.

NOTE:  It sounds to me as if you may be using a non-inverter type AC, or one which might have a problem with the thermostat, or some other problem.

The Panasonic inverters that I have can maintain PLUS/MINUS 1 degree C temperature range when set to 22 degrees.  But then you need to select AUTO fan.  (I once had a defective Panasonic machine that was totally unable to maintain the selected air temp in the room.  I finally was able to get the company to allow a return to the factory in Malaysia. or....I really do not know what they did with that defective machine.)

42 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

no AC or was he spending too much time outdoors?

Yes.

I mentioned that I, too, got into difficulties, about 8 years ago, when I tried to live in a top floor suite in a guesthouse with some GARBAGE AC provided by the Gaslighting Landlord there.

image.png.9e504a902c5041445dd51f02a423256b.png

The problem ensues when one is unable to cool-down, periodically.

Enduring 35 degree room temps is possible without problems, for me, for a short period of time.

However, when trying to do this during a two-week period, or longer, the body has no chance to cool down, and then this can become problematic.

I will never try that again.

If the landlord does not provide proper AC cooling, then just leave the premises.

These days, I do not rent any house with ACs supplied by the landlord.

Here in Thailand, most landlords have zero idea, and less caring, about efficiency of ACs and home appliances.

Also, many are not smart enough to understand, even though you might try to explain it to them, a million times.

Here, almost anyone can be a genius....by comparison....when talking about electrical efficiency, BTUs, AMPS, Watts, etc.

It is POINTLESS to try to explain this.

Something like appliance efficiency is WAY Beyond their Ken!!!!

Don't waste your breath.

Move out, and find a place to rent where you can install the appliances you prefer.

The only way.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BigBruv said:

OT but evolution is a *theory* based on a completely ridiculous 'big bang' *theory* which only over educated (indoctrinated) autists can even attempt to explain.

I don't know all the answers but evolution is NOT 'obvious'.

The 'Scientific Method' is based on scepticism (or should be: see 'the covid science')

Anyway, does anyone still think the weather in Thailand is better than in their home countries?

Sorry...but....

It is just too HOT today to discuss Evolution theory with you.

Maybe wait for the Cool Season?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, of course this depends upon various factors, including insulation, size of room, efficiency of the AC unit, and other factors.

I use ACs that have an EER of 23, or above,  (measured in BTU units not Kcal).  Anyway, these are among the most efficient that are available to the consumer in Thailand in this market.  I use Panasonic inverters. And, I use the most expensive models of the Panasonic inverters.  BUT, as everybody here know, I am NOT satisfied with the quality, compared to the Panasonic ACs I bought in Taiwan/Japan.  I do not know what is causing this. Maybe different quality for different markets, etc....

Also, you need to be careful when thinking that it is best to turn the AC off when you leave the room for a short period of time...

Why?

Because, there is data that shows that it is more efficient to allow the AC to remain on, and maintain a constant temperature, rather than to turn it off for a few hours, and then try to use the AC to re-cool the room, starting at a very high room air temp.

You can google this point, too.

NOTE:  It sounds to me as if you may be using a non-inverter type AC, or one which might have a problem with the thermostat, or some other problem.

The Panasonic inverters that I have can maintain PLUS/MINUS 1 degree C temperature range when set to 22 degrees.  But then you need to select AUTO fan.  (I once had a defective Panasonic machine that was totally unable to maintain the selected air temp in the room.  I finally was able to get the company to allow a return to the factory in Malaysia. or....I really do not know what they did with that defective machine.)

I think I feel colder at 3 am because that is when the body is at its weakest, many natural deaths and heart attacks occur around this time.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I think I feel colder at 3 am because that is when the body is at its weakest, many natural deaths and heart attacks occur around this time.

It is normal and part of the natural sleep cycle for human body temp to be reduced during the beginning  hours of sleep.

Then, when we approach the time we will wake up, our body temp increases.

This is normal, and has nothing to do with any kind of weakness.

image.png.8e5e3420683513bfb789e9e7ceb1a9f0.png

image.png.7b7093c136542b22ef11e300dcdff186.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body_temperature

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Please also keep in mind this META analysis of available data concerning heart attacks around the time you mention, 3AM....

image.png.5e3dc1f339bfe728ce8f9f8b86e3889a.png

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21427375/#:~:text=Conclusion%3A Acute cardiac events were,levels of habitual physical activity.